Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you clean it before you sell it?”

• Yes, I put some effort into cleaning my pins before selling. 40 votes
      91%
    • No, cleaning the pin is a bonding experience for the new owner to have with thier new pin 4 votes
      9%

(44 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Just curious to know how many out there feel it necessary to clean a pin before putting it up for sale?

I've bought a few pins online which arrived with little to no cleaning needed and some others that required a lot of love.

#2 5 years ago

All depends on what you are trying to do....just sell it quick or maximize your sale price. Time is money. If the add says the machine "could use a good shop", no way am I going to pay top dollar.

#3 5 years ago

Ill wipe it down but not gonna do a full tear down / shopjob or anything. I like to make sure it’s working 100% (unless there’s something I just can’t fix) and generally clean to get the best offer on it I can.

#4 5 years ago

Sometimes I'll sell untested projects, sometimes working projects, sometimes quick shop jobs, and sometimes complete teardowns.

It really depends on a lot of things--how much time I have, how interested I am in the game, if I need space for something else...etc

But I'll also buy games in pretty much any state if the price is right.

There's a buyer for everything.

But yes, if you're trying to sell a clean, working game, it should be clean and in working order.

#5 5 years ago

I typically try to make a game look decent before selling it. I'm not going to let a bit of dust be the difference between a sale and no sale.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I typically try to make a game look decent before selling it. I'm not going to let a bit of dust be the difference between a sale and no sale.

Agreed, doesn't hurt to wipe it down and make it presentable. 15 min. I went to our local arcade auction 2 weeks ago and just can't believe when you drop off a machine you can't at least wipe the glass off.

#7 5 years ago

I took my car for a wash and vacuum before I traded it in. Would always do the same for a pin to help with the value.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Agreed, doesn't hurt to wipe it down and make it presentable. 15 min. I went to our local arcade auction 2 weeks ago and just can't believe when you drop off a machine you can't at least wipe the glass off.

Yep...same thing with calling something an "easy fix" or "cheap fix". I caught myself doing that once with a broken playfield plastic. It didn't bother me, but as I was listing the game for sale I started writing something about how a cheap replacement plastic was available. I realized what I was typing and immediately hit backspace a few times and ordered the plastic. It's not worth going super cheap on a machine that's worth a few thousand dollars.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Yep...same thing with calling something an "easy fix" or "cheap fix". I caught myself doing that once with a broken playfield plastic. It didn't bother me, but as I was listing the game for sale I started writing something about how a cheap replacement plastic was available. I realized what I was typing and immediately hit backspace a few times and ordered the plastic. It's not worth going super cheap on a machine that's worth a few thousand dollars.

I know, right?
    I even change rubbers, not all, but if it needs them. I even have a giant box of flipper rubbers, just put 2 new one's on. Takes what, 30 seconds?

#10 5 years ago

I clean everything on the game if I am selling to a friend or someone I do not know. Wax, clean the rubbers, vacuum the cabinet, etc. I keep my games really clean so it does not take me that long to finish cleaning before the game leaves my house.

#11 5 years ago

During college I would do a full tear down on every machine I got whether I planned to keep it or not. Over time these got to be more and more meticulous to the point that some take 100 hours+. Now I do that if I am keeping it. If it I got it clean I will just sell it as is. If it is filthy I will strip the topside and clean it, but I won't strip the bottom as well. It just doesn't pay to, no one really cares and certainly won't pay a dime more.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-clean-it-before-you-sell-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.