2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Does anyone else check the top 100 on Monday to see if things have changed, even though you don't care?
    I know what pins I like, and it's not going to effect my purchases, or what I play. I still look though. Does anyone else just look out of curiosity?

#2 2 years ago

No

#3 2 years ago

Never, couldn't care less, and neither should you.

#4 2 years ago

I like seeing what overrated Stern is going to cause heart attacks from time to time.

#5 2 years ago

Nope - don't think I've ever checked it. Not gonna start either.

#6 2 years ago

Jesus Christ, no.

It's so nice to not need external validation to justify the things I like.

#7 2 years ago

No.

I do however look at the ratings, read reviews, and watch YouTube videos if I see a pin for sale which I haven't played.

#8 2 years ago

Yeah, I think I'm done with it too. I cared 7 years ago, but now every time I click that tab, I roll my eyes, and question why I'm waisting my time.

#9 2 years ago

Never look at it, can't possibly see the point. It would be pointless under the best of circumstances, but the way people game the voting makes it not only useless, but actively stupid.

#10 2 years ago

Every other week. The Top List can be useful as a guide if I want to purchase a pin. Just do not get to excited when your game moves up or down. For rare or older EM games, they may not be on this list at all.

#11 2 years ago

Because of this thread you just started ianwho, I went and checked out the Pinside Top 100. Had not looked at it too much lately.

#12 2 years ago

If you like the game its a Top 100 game.

#13 2 years ago

Sluggin' Champ is #1? WTF! When did that happen?!?!?! Now I suppose I have to go look for one of those now...crap.

#14 2 years ago

yes

I print out copies and roll around on them like money. some times I make it rain with top 100 lists

or no

it's one of those I swear

#15 2 years ago

I admit that I used to eagerly await for the new chart to appear, but that was several years ago. I just don't care these days.

I mainly use the Top 100 chart button nowadays to quickly navigate to a popular game so that I can maybe look at a picture of a playfield or backglass, just to see who owns a certain game here in the UK, or possibly to browse some of the latest rating comments.

I pay little attention to where a machine is placed in the site's top 100/200/300. I have played most modern games now, and have my own extensive personal top 250 that I keep here on the site.

#16 2 years ago

I look at it, but usually just to scroll down and see what games I would like to find to play. I also look at the 101-200 list as well. Sometimes I just randomly search games.
    At the end of the day pinball is pinball, and I can find enjoyment with any of them.

#17 2 years ago

I look at it constantly and compulsively to get positive self affirmation

#18 2 years ago

I used to look at it to see what others thought were great machines. Interestingly, some of the top machines I DO love, while others -- not so much.

My advise is that going to a barcade local to you such as The Oviedo Bowl in Oviedo (Orlando) Florida, an arcade like Gamevault in Morristown NJ, or a pinball museum such as Modern Pinball in NYC and spending $50 - $100 to play a variety of well maintained games is the BEST way to research what you like. Play everything -- even the titles you have not heard of and/or think the theme sucks -- because you never know what you will or will not like until you play it.

Supporting operators is a solid investment and with the cost of pins on the rise it is increasingly important to know what YOU really like and the money you spend figuring this out (having fun I might add) will definitely SAVE you the cost of making an expensive purchase mistake.

I'm interested in hearing others opinions on this - and great question OP.

#19 2 years ago

Yes, but just to see which games I've still yet to play and might be worth checking out. I'm thankful for people that actually write in depth reviews to games giving their pros and cons rather than people with multiple accounts that just give BS 10s and 2s to pump up games they own or drop ratings of ones they don't to serve the same purpose.

#20 2 years ago

I check it every singe day. About 14.2% of the time the ratings have changed. I'm not sure why that is so low. I give 110% of my attention to the top 100, and I feel that we should allow more than 100 games into the top 100. That way every game can be a top 10. That will fix it once and for all!

#21 2 years ago

Nah. I know what games I like.

#22 2 years ago

I do for a good laugh.

#23 2 years ago

I look at it once in a while, agree with some, disagree with most, post some of my opinions. It is interesting to see what other people like. Then look at how new over-rated games were so highly ranked at first and fall over time. Then the ones that get bashed and ridiculed once released gain in the ratings over time. I smile at those. Pinside at it's best. Take the ratings for what they are.

#24 2 years ago

No ,but the only reason why would be to make sure apocalypse now or forbidden planet wasnt being made and I somehow missed it.

#25 2 years ago

Yup!
    The EMs sure need more votes though...

#26 2 years ago

Never, I just keep.buying

#28 2 years ago

Only to see if Mustang Pro made it.

#29 2 years ago

I'll go there to read reviews of machines I've never played, that's about it.....mainly entertainment for me...

#30 2 years ago

I still look fwd to the day when we get to see the next page of the pin ratings list for those pins ranked #301 and lower.
    Likewise, I'd like to see the next page of e-m's ranked from #101 and beyond.

#33 2 years ago

No, but I wish it was improved. I've suggested this before:

1. Reset the rankings from scratch
    2. Everyone create a list ranking all the games you have ever played. Best to worst. Mix modern in with SS and EMs. Create one big list. No complex scoring systems, just a list. Still include (optional and encouraged) comments.
    3. Games would get points for being ranked highly. Higher value would be applied for larger lists, which would encourage people to rank a lot of games.
    4. There would be a master list created, from which simple check boxes could be used to specify which you want to view: EMs, SS, manufacturers, decades, whatever.

This would solve multiple issues with the ranking system. It would create new interest and refresh a stale system. It would encourage a LOT more "voting" because it wouldn't take 15 minutes to do a single rating. You could probably do the whole list in that time. It would help keep track of what games you have played, and which you need to be looking for. It would get a ton more votes for EMs...etc.

#34 2 years ago

The EM list is terrible because so many games are highly rated with only 3 or 4 ratings.

#35 2 years ago

They should just remove every game from the top 100 and replace it with Ghostbusters. Everyone knows that game is both "The Greatest" and "The Worst" pinball machine in existence. All other pinball machines are basically irrelevant.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    € 8.40
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 109.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    £ 32.00
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 209.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside