20180502_150843 (resized).jpg
o (resized).jpg
transformed.gif
chi_03_rk0296_01_p (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
thumbnail (resized).jpg
A4F5C4FB-DFC4-4E39-8D53-567EB2CA10CB (resized).jpeg
41zgpoZy50L (resized).jpg
CB7893E6-C4F1-45A2-9534-AD0FB2E52978 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
86F24866-A655-4570-9257-A61C71DCAF2A (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
BD710A32-5C0A-4FC4-A545-8EB63E16FE02 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
29DD19DB-E248-40B1-B96F-17BE12ABEDC4 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snakesnsparklers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 5 years ago

I change my own since it saves quite a bit of money and I don't trust others to take as much care with my vehicles as I do. I take advantage of Mobil 1 rebates about twice a year when the oil is also on sale at a store and I pay about $2 per quart of synthetic. One of our vehicles takes 7 qts and my cost is under $20 with filter. I really don't mind changing oil it's not so bad or dirty as some make it out to be.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I've been to those places and have had inconsistent results. Most of the times it's been fine but sometimes the overfill with oil, sometimes they don't put in enough. sometimes they torque the drain plug too tight, and another time they put my filter on loose so that it was leaking oil. I really don't trust them and know that I can do a better job in about the same amount of time. Plus, I know that I'm using quality synthetic oil and a good filter and save money in the process. I do all 3 of my vehicles at the same time and it takes me about 30-45 minutes.

A common tactic at a large chain of quick oil change places is to show you the dipstick after filling so you know the fill was perfect. Well if it's low they just turn the dipstick upside down for long enough to flow to the full mark. If it's high they simply wipe off the excess so it's at the full mark.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The other annoyance is that they try to upsell you on other services at the same time. Coolant flush, new wiper blades, air filters, etc. That's how they make their money.

Indeed. Many people take these "optional upsells" as critical maintenance needed RIGHT NOW so they give in. Instead of buying wipers and an air filter for $20 at any auto parts place and installing themselves they pay close to $100 for these at an oil change place.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snakesnsparklers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-change-your-own-oil?tu=snakesnsparklers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.