20180502_150843 (resized).jpg
o (resized).jpg
transformed.gif
chi_03_rk0296_01_p (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
thumbnail (resized).jpg
A4F5C4FB-DFC4-4E39-8D53-567EB2CA10CB (resized).jpeg
41zgpoZy50L (resized).jpg
CB7893E6-C4F1-45A2-9534-AD0FB2E52978 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
86F24866-A655-4570-9257-A61C71DCAF2A (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
BD710A32-5C0A-4FC4-A545-8EB63E16FE02 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
29DD19DB-E248-40B1-B96F-17BE12ABEDC4 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 5 years ago

One of my cars costs $150.00 at the dealer or 110.00 at an indy for an oil change. I do it myself. costs me aboot $75.00 for material.

Also, to avoid a mess, old pizza boxes work greta in addition to newspapers etc. I recently bought an oil extractor but not sure if I'll use it on every vehicle.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What kind of gnarly driving are you doing where that remotely makes any kind of sense? Are you putting canola in there or something?

Air cooled VW’s have a 3000 mile change interval. Valve adjustment every 6000 miles. The oil is definitely shot at 3000 miles as it gets cooked.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

A chimp working on a Porsche engine is pretty cool. Not with a pipe wrench though....

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I worked at Chrysler in the mid 80s in Detroit, midnight shift, and we used to go up on the roof to get high too. They were doing major repairs and had a 4 wheeler up there for dragging things from one place to another, and we used to get stoned and drive it all over the roof of the plant in the middle of the night. It's a wonder we didnt kill ourselves. The things that used to go on there.....

Lynch, Mack or McGraw (old DeSoto) plant?

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I had my oil changed at a big box and they drained my transmission fluid and proceeded to double filled my oil.

How much extra for that?

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

My personal car; I use to do it myself all the time. Now only sometimes.
Company car; Never, the company pays for it. Take it the dealer, or Mr. Lube.
There is a car hoist less than 10 feet from my office door. Due to company policies the hoists are off limits to employee vehicles. I could bring in my used oil for disposal, that seems OK. Since they get money for used oil.
Those guys at Mr. Lube have the knack of get that air filter out of the air cleaner canister, faster than you can say, "Do not worry about the air filter, Thanks".

Company vehicle always to a dealer for me as well. Even for tire rotation. Direct billed to GE Capital too.

2 weeks later
#128 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Did an oil change yesterday and rotated tires.
I also found a screw in the tire and plugged it.
The left front pad brake material had separated from the steel backer at 55K.
Does anyone remember when the guy at the parts counter knew what he was selling?
I go to NAPA because I think the quality of parts are better there than the discount stores.
I wanted ceramic brake pads.
The counter guy said I think these are ceramic.
I bought NAPA ultra premium pads and there was no info on what material they were made of. AND , as ultra premiums, they matched OEM performance. Hmmm, match the factory pads as Ultra Premium.

By law, there is an edge code on new brake friction. Google the number for details. The FMSI (Friction Maanufacturers Standards Institute) code will tell you the size, shape, back plate size but not the actual friction. The edge code will tell you everything.

Note that thanks to the nutjobs in California and Washington, All brake friction has to have less than 5% copper with pads and drum friction (Think the majority of class 7 & 8 trucks) made after December 31, 2021. After December 31, 2025, they must contain "zero" Copper which means under .5%

With this, you will notice different performance and durability characteristics of brakes. It will also affect rotor and drum wear.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-change-your-own-oil?tu=MrBally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.