Topic poll

“Do you change your own oil (cars, etc.) ?”

• Yes 105 votes
    49%
  • No 108 votes
    51%

(213 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180502_150843 (resized).jpg
o (resized).jpg
transformed.gif
chi_03_rk0296_01_p (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
thumbnail (resized).jpg
A4F5C4FB-DFC4-4E39-8D53-567EB2CA10CB (resized).jpeg
41zgpoZy50L (resized).jpg
CB7893E6-C4F1-45A2-9534-AD0FB2E52978 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
86F24866-A655-4570-9257-A61C71DCAF2A (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
BD710A32-5C0A-4FC4-A545-8EB63E16FE02 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
29DD19DB-E248-40B1-B96F-17BE12ABEDC4 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 months ago

sorry , just a follow up... went to honda to have an extra key made for my Element ... took 2 hours to have that done !! crazy !!! i also do my own brakes ... i do it when i want it , and get my car back when i want it ..don’t have to wait 6 hours

#102 4 months ago

This is right up there with do you cut your own grass, wash your own car, and service your own pool!

#103 4 months ago

Do most things myself, but cost/benefit not there for oil change. Wife drops off cars at small town family owned shop one block from her work where we have gone for 15 years. Too easy.

#104 4 months ago

Just answering the OP's question.

Sometimes.

#105 4 months ago

Oh I flush my tranny in the garage but my car usually isn't there.

#106 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh I flush my tranny in the garage but my car usually isn't there.

transformed.gif

#107 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Got some real slice O'Michigan action for ya here.
So I was at the in-laws house for Thanksgiving and a brother in law said they just had a union meeting there discussing people really need to stop going on the roof and having sex or smoking pot...like this is the last warning.
So I'm surprised they design or make anything at all.

I worked at Chrysler in the mid 80s in Detroit, midnight shift, and we used to go up on the roof to get high too. They were doing major repairs and had a 4 wheeler up there for dragging things from one place to another, and we used to get stoned and drive it all over the roof of the plant in the middle of the night. It's a wonder we didnt kill ourselves. The things that used to go on there.....

#108 4 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I worked at Chrysler in the mid 80s in Detroit, midnight shift, and we used to go up on the roof to get high too. They were doing major repairs and had a 4 wheeler up there for dragging things from one place to another, and we used to get stoned and drive it all over the roof of the plant in the middle of the night. It's a wonder we didnt kill ourselves. The things that used to go on there.....

Lynch, Mack or McGraw (old DeSoto) plant?

#109 4 months ago

Fortunately, at work, we no longer change any body else's oil.

#110 4 months ago

I used to, when I was into cars. I traded that hobby for pinball and I barely have time for that either. Cars are just a box with wheels I use to get to and from work. I drive other peoples fun cars when I need some kicks.

#111 4 months ago

I had my oil changed at a big box and they drained my transmission fluid and proceeded to double filled my oil.

#112 4 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I had my oil changed at a big box and they drained my transmission fluid and proceeded to double filled my oil.

How much extra for that?

#113 4 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

How much extra for that?

No charge! They get the extra money by upselling new belts and radiator hoses.

#114 4 months ago

My personal car; I use to do it myself all the time. Now only sometimes.
Company car; Never, the company pays for it. Take it the dealer, or Mr. Lube.

There is a car hoist less than 10 feet from my office door. Due to company policies the hoists are off limits to employee vehicles. I could bring in my used oil for disposal, that seems OK. Since they get money for used oil.

Those guys at Mr. Lube have the knack of get that air filter out of the air cleaner canister, faster than you can say, "Do not worry about the air filter, Thanks".

#115 4 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

How much extra for that?

It was pretty kind of them to not even take my old oil.

#116 4 months ago

I’m at the dealer right now picking up the RS, got in the car and have an error, driver mode unavailable. This is why I do my own work.

#117 4 months ago
Quoted from Darcy:

My personal car; I use to do it myself all the time. Now only sometimes.
Company car; Never, the company pays for it. Take it the dealer, or Mr. Lube.
There is a car hoist less than 10 feet from my office door. Due to company policies the hoists are off limits to employee vehicles. I could bring in my used oil for disposal, that seems OK. Since they get money for used oil.
Those guys at Mr. Lube have the knack of get that air filter out of the air cleaner canister, faster than you can say, "Do not worry about the air filter, Thanks".

Company vehicle always to a dealer for me as well. Even for tire rotation. Direct billed to GE Capital too.

#118 4 months ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I cheat too
Nobody touches my cars except me. Shoot, my most anxious time of the year is taking my Viper to have it's annual inspection done as it's the one thing I can't do myself, 90% of the tech's can't even figure out how to open it's hood and get pissed at me when I straight up tell them, in advance, I want to open and close it for them. Had to many "techs" mess stuff up in the past. I don't blame them as they are paid to get cars in and out fast but it's just not worth it anymore. I also despise sitting in a waiting room to have it done and don't even get me started on them grinding gears. If you can't drive a manual car just tell me and I'll move it for you....
Now, I just go into my shop, put the car on the lift, turn my TV on, open a drink and go to town. It's relaxing for me.
[quoted image]

Nice Viper! Always loved those cars and something you don't see very often. I can't imagine taking a tuned high hp car to one of those grease shacks and letting some 16 year old "inspect" your car. I get nervous enough taking my manual trans car in for service.

#119 4 months ago

Who wouldn't trust a guy or gal that wears a fancy hat and doesn't have a spot of oil on his or her shirt?
o (resized).jpg

#120 4 months ago

I get misc. things done each oil change so it really makes it efficient. Side note, for those with high mileage Lucas makes a great heavy weight full synthetic oil.

#121 4 months ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

This is right up there with do you cut your own grass, wash your own car, and service your own pool!

There’s a “do you do your own surgery?” thread now, too.

#122 4 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Everytime I see a monkey on pinside I have an urge to buy Octoberfest.

#123 4 months ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

Everytime I see a monkey on pinside I have an urge to buy Octoberfest.

Too bad the monkey went away like so much enthusiasm for Oktobefest now that it's almost Christmas.

#125 4 months ago

Some of the best hours of my life have been spent under the only thing I love changing her oil.

20180502_150843 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#126 4 months ago

Did an oil change yesterday and rotated tires.
I also found a screw in the tire and plugged it.
The left front pad brake material had separated from the steel backer at 55K.

Does anyone remember when the guy at the parts counter knew what he was selling?
I go to NAPA because I think the quality of parts are better there than the discount stores.
I wanted ceramic brake pads.
The counter guy said I think these are ceramic.
I bought NAPA ultra premium pads and there was no info on what material they were made of. AND , as ultra premiums, they matched OEM performance. Hmmm, match the factory pads as Ultra Premium.

#127 4 months ago

Yes I remember that. Like you, I have account in town with NAPA for the same reasons: quality, supporting the local “guy”, etc. Fortunately, our local one has people that do know but seeing this is becoming less and less these days.

#128 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Did an oil change yesterday and rotated tires.
I also found a screw in the tire and plugged it.
The left front pad brake material had separated from the steel backer at 55K.
Does anyone remember when the guy at the parts counter knew what he was selling?
I go to NAPA because I think the quality of parts are better there than the discount stores.
I wanted ceramic brake pads.
The counter guy said I think these are ceramic.
I bought NAPA ultra premium pads and there was no info on what material they were made of. AND , as ultra premiums, they matched OEM performance. Hmmm, match the factory pads as Ultra Premium.

By law, there is an edge code on new brake friction. Google the number for details. The FMSI (Friction Maanufacturers Standards Institute) code will tell you the size, shape, back plate size but not the actual friction. The edge code will tell you everything.

Note that thanks to the nutjobs in California and Washington, All brake friction has to have less than 5% copper with pads and drum friction (Think the majority of class 7 & 8 trucks) made after December 31, 2021. After December 31, 2025, they must contain "zero" Copper which means under .5%

With this, you will notice different performance and durability characteristics of brakes. It will also affect rotor and drum wear.

#129 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I was one of those parts guys for 30 years. Back in the day the aftermarket stuff WAS better than OEM. I watched as one by one, the good old quality replacement part manufacturers were bought up by larger companies. These conglomerates would immediately outsource product to a cheap offshore version, & just live off of the recognized brand name's reputation.
Nowadays, I almost always stick to OEM for my parts.

Oh, & yes, I do change my own oil, I like to do my own inspection under the car at the same time. I give a shit about my safety, unlike those quick lube guys wanting to turn cars as quickly as they can. Also, I do most of my own repairs.. again, for the most part, all the shops just want to beat flat rate times. It seems just about every time I take a car in for service I get it back & more often than not, I see missing or broken clips & fasteners.
Who knows what shortcuts they have taken.

#130 4 months ago

Love some of the garages where you have a lift.

Winter time car washing indoors would be awesome. Lift would make waxing easier as well

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 13.00
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 209.99
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 269.99
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside