New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 141997)

Do you care about location play?

By kermit24

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Thermionic
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you seek out location play and support operators?”

• Yes! Not only do I seek out location play, I also update the Pinfinder and/or Pinside location database. 101 votes
      43%
    • Yes! I look on Pinfinder and/or Pinside for locations to play and seek them out. 71 votes
      30%
    • Kind-of: I'll play pinball on location as I run into it but won't intentionally seek out location pinball. 44 votes
      19%
    • No. I play my collection or my friends. 19 votes
      8%

(235 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago

I actually know of the perfect place to open a location. A Blockbuster's closed next to a really good pizza place. The pizza place stays busy even though the mall is pretty quiet and largely deserted. The layout of of the Blockbuster is asymmetric, and I know it could hold 30-40 pins easily.

The problem is that the mall owners don't necessarily drop their lease rates just because a place has been sitting empty for years.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I actually know of the perfect place to open a location. A Blockbuster's closed next to a really good pizza place. The pizza place stays busy even though the mall is pretty quiet and largely deserted. The layout of of the Blockbuster is asymmetric, and I know it could hold 30-40 pins easily.
    The problem is that the mall owners don't necessarily drop their lease rates just because a place has been sitting empty for years.

Find a place you can move into. Let them pay the rent, deal with utilities, maintenance etc. Pins are a draw but it can take a while to find the right place with the right attitude.

#103 5 years ago

I miss the days of a little tiny back room in every 7-11 with arcade games and even pinball. So many awesome pins made their way through the Sevvy in Ridley Park, PA back in the day: Pinbot, High Speed, Genesis, Taxi, T2, and the glorious Monte Carlo, among others. Always a good time.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I actually know of the perfect place to open a location.

Quoted from swampfire:

the mall is pretty quiet and largely deserted.

Quoted from swampfire:

the mall owners don't necessarily drop their lease rates just because a place has been sitting empty for years.

That doesn't sound like the perfect place.

LTG : )™

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That doesn't sound like the perfect place.
    LTG : )™

You'd need to cut a doorway into the pizza place and integrate the two.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

You'd need to cut a doorway into the pizza place and integrate the two.

That's what I was thinking.

1 month later
    #107 4 years ago

Just noticed there is a Game of Thrones on location in Vancouver, a la PinballMap. I'm going to go check it out this week and get to play this game, thanks to location play.

#108 4 years ago

Not sure how many of you all listen to the excellent Pinheadz podcast from Australia but it was funny to hear them discuss Medieval Madness during the game show portion and how they hadn't heard the sound when you press start without a credit in that game. Was funny since they say it's a rare game and you only find them in collections whereas that seems to be the most common game out here on route. Operators love it b/c it earns and I know one of the local operators who was so psyched for the MMR since it'll make him more money with way less maintenance with the LEDs etc.

#109 4 years ago

I almost never play on location because there are no good locations near me. Just one more reason I'm even in this hobby. Normally when I do see a pin in the wild I will go check it out.....and 9 times out of 10 it's a total cluster F. I play at home and at fellow Pinsider's homes and at Expos.

#110 4 years ago

Since I have adapted PayRange into my games and run promotions and rewards my location is up almost 30%. So take the 3.95% off that and see what you're left with. Its been very beneficial to my location. Pinball people carry cash, most causal don't. They don't think about it. If they do they have a buck or two. We ran a promotion this weekend over Thanksgiving and had 670 plays on a weekend that is historically dead. The last 3 years I have been on location, Thanksgiving weekend has always been down as the bowling leagues are not in session. Adapting new technology is critical to growing my location at least. You can see my PayRange % on each game at www.coinboxpodcast.com

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Since I have adapted PayRange into my games and run promotions and rewards my location is up almost 30%. So take the 3.95% off that and see what you're left with. Its been very beneficial to my location. Pinball people carry cash, most causal don't. They don't think about it. If they do they have a buck or two. We ran a promotion this weekend over Thanksgiving and had 670 plays on a weekend that is historically dead. The last 3 years I have been on location, Thanksgiving weekend has always been down as the bowling leagues are not in session. Adapting new technology is critical to growing my location at least. You can see my PayRange % on each game at http://www.coinboxpodcast.com

That's great to hear! I know having a change machine is pretty important but was surprised how much more you were getting with Payrange. I heard a couple girls who walked into the local bar I play at say, 'crap I don't have any cash' although there is an ATM in the bar and in SF most bars are cash only anyhow so that's not as big a deal here. (they got cash out, bought drinks and then got change to play even though most machines have bill acceptors)

#112 4 years ago

I have change machines and Bill acceptors on all the games as well. I like to not miss revenue.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Since I have adapted PayRange into my games and run promotions and rewards my location is up almost 30%. So take the 3.95% off that and see what you're left with. Its been very beneficial to my location. Pinball people carry cash, most causal don't. They don't think about it. If they do they have a buck or two. We ran a promotion this weekend over Thanksgiving and had 670 plays on a weekend that is historically dead. The last 3 years I have been on location, Thanksgiving weekend has always been down as the bowling leagues are not in session. Adapting new technology is critical to growing my location at least. You can see my PayRange % on each game at http://www.coinboxpodcast.com

Thanks for sharing! So does that mean that 50% of GoT play is with a credit card?

#114 4 years ago

Yup, 48% of the revenue from GoT came from Payrange.

#115 4 years ago

There should be a Game of Thrones in the bathrooms on location...

Lot's of Beercades have been openning up latley, kind of a new phenomenon that's catching on especially in Chicago where there was surprisingly little location play just few years ago...

#116 4 years ago

I'm assuming that the users need to download an app to use PayRange, or can it work from a browser?

#117 4 years ago

it requires an app. either IOS or Android.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

it requires an app. either IOS or Android.

Given that, how are people made aware of the app at your locations? Signs?

Having to download an app, then select a machine, etc. seems like a huge barrier to ease of use, but your cashbox doesn't lie. Very interesting.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Given that, how are people made aware of the app at your locations? Signs?
    Having to download an app, then select a machine, etc. seems like a huge barrier to ease of use, but your cashbox doesn't lie. Very interesting.

I see it as being similar to the apps that allow you to use the jukebox at bars. Takes 5 mins to set up, then you're good to go. Pull up the app, select your location and pin. Add credits. I just assumed the fees were a lot higher for this. Pretty sweet if you ask me. I cannot tell you how many People pass up playing pin when I'm playing on location because they don't have 50 cents to put into the game or any cash to put into the dollar bill acceptor. Like 9 out of 10 people are like that. But show them an app and I bet they'd set it up.

Just more options for people to pay for pinball so limits the chance that they don't play.

#120 4 years ago

I care a lot about location play, for many of the reasons already expressed. It's also a very convenient way to "test-drive" a particular title I might be interested in owning. It's also great to be able to play games I like, but not necessarily enough to own.

What I guess I didn't realize is how many of you reside in pinball "deserts" (a city the size of Atlanta really doesn't have at least one good arcade?!?). After reading this thread, I feel very fortunate to have a great location nearby (Cactus Jack's, OKC) and am emboldened to continue supporting and promoting it. Their older machines are always meticulously maintained and working 100%, and they seem to get every new game pretty much as soon as it's released (including AMH and WOZ); they also have a great selection of well-maintained classic vids which get my quarters too.

I also travel to the Colorado Springs area frequently and always make time for Arcade Amusements in Manitou Springs (perhaps the overall coolest arcade I've ever played - for many, would be ample reason alone to travel to the area).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 94.00
    $ 6.95
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 8.95
    $ 75.00
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 289.00
    $ 3.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 27.95
    $ 134.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside