New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 147011)

Do you buy mods for your game and then never use?

By ovfdfireman

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Baiter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.png
    EasyInstall.jpg
    1.jpg

#1 4 years ago

It seems I get excited about some new cool mod, example cliffy's, or maybe plastic dress up kit for TRON, color display, of course a speaker kit. But once they come in I put them in the coin box and never get around to installing them. Don't get me wrong, some things I do instantly (added my battle axe trim to my KISS, and add Pinball Pro to my games). But, I am usually happy with the game as it stands, and the sense of urgency isn't there.

I would love to have the spare time to just tinker with games, just at a stage in life that seems to not allow for it. So when I do have time I am typically with family and friends PLAYING pinball, and not adding extras.

How about you guys?

#2 4 years ago

Guilty as charged

#3 4 years ago

I've got a big box full of them. Fortunately I haven't passed to the point of having mods for games I don't even own any more.

#4 4 years ago

I only have two games. Not 30. So I have more time to tinker and mod the two I have.

Adding LEDs, swapping rubbers, adding this or that. I enjoy it a lot. I'll buy mods. Use them for a while and then buy new mods to replace those and sell the old mods.

#5 4 years ago

Yes, and I know I should sell them but then again you never know when you might buy that pin again...

#6 4 years ago

Our house rule here, you can't order a mod, until the last one ordered is installed. This has been a great rule for our home as I easily got caught up early.

#7 4 years ago

I bought the spinners kit for my met pro a long time ago and have still not installed them, I really want them in but am having a hard time deceiding to cut the plastics or not.

#8 4 years ago

I think the only one I've done that with is Zitt's Star Trek caps. They looked super cool, but man, to install them on my Premium meant taking half the game apart and I just never found the time and energy to do it. Ended up selling the game and throwing them in.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

They looked super cool, but man, to install them on my Premium meant taking half the game apart

This happens to me often on games.

#10 4 years ago

I have a Dirty Donny Sparky I still haven't installed. It's a great topper for now

#11 4 years ago

Yeah I tend to buy them and put them with the game. Then the next time something breaks, ball stuck etc I take the time to clean anything that's dirty, wax and install whatever mods i have accumulated.

Sadly some like STTNG I just haven't had the energy to completely strip and install everything new I have accumulated for it (new ramps, plastics, mods etc). It's clean, working and we play it. It will be so much better when I do it but so much work...

#12 4 years ago

Only once, and that was some Mezelmods stuff for JM (the 3d printed throwing star and container) and that was only because I got a good offer on the game, and a combination of living overseas meant they arrived after the game had gone. I sent them onto the new owner for no extra cost.

#13 4 years ago

I'm working on a somewhat complicated mod, at least on my end to design and build. But I know that on the user end it's gotta be a 20 minutes or less job to install. No soldering, no drilling, nothing more complicated than taking off some screws or bolts, putting them back on, and hooking up some connectors.

People just have a low threshold for their comfort level when it comes to this stuff.

#14 4 years ago

I install them the day they arrive

My fav mod so far has been the SFII arcade mod on my Street Fighter

1.jpg

#15 4 years ago

I have a set of light cycle ornaments and clear disc rubber that I'm too lazy to install on my Tron LE.

Oh, and a War Machine figure for IMVE. Guess I'd just rather play them.

#16 4 years ago

Nope. I use what I buy

#17 4 years ago

I bought Eli's ramp light kit for my Tron... and it sat for 1.5 years before I finally got around to installing it. And then I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner because it is AMAZING!

#18 4 years ago

Took me 6 months to finally install 2 sets of mirror blades. I kept moving the boxes around cause they were always in the way

#19 4 years ago

I probably have this problem with parts in general....

Although, I fully intend to use every part for the game I got them for when I get to them in my restoration queue

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm working on a somewhat complicated mod, at least on my end to design and build. But I know that on the user end it's gotta be a 20 minutes or less job to install. No soldering, no drilling, nothing more complicated than taking off some screws or bolts, putting them back on, and hooking up some connectors.
    People just have a low threshold for their comfort level when it comes to this stuff.

Some mods are engineered better than others and if a mod isn't engineered to be truly plug and play I will not purchase it. Unfortunately this little fact is not always known until the mod arrives. A mod also needs to be 100 percent reversible otherwise I will not install it.

Mods that are powered by the game and interactive with game play are certainly my favorite mods and they also need to have clear (with photos) and concise installation instructions. If a mod that I purchase has this then I will install the mod at some point.

Gord

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Mods that are powered by the game and interactive with game play are certainly my favorite mods and they also need to have clear (with photos) and concise installation instructions. If a mod that I purchase has this then I will install the mod at some point.

Yup. Totally agree. 100% reversible, powered by the game, easy instructions. Check check check.

Some mods are worth going beyond that. Eli's ramps for Tron for instance. But those are rare exceptions.

#22 4 years ago

They go in the day I get them.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wyopinball:

Our house rule here, you can't order a mod, until the last one ordered is installed. This has been a great rule for our home as I easily got caught up early.

Im going to make that a rule as well. You should print it and sell it...

#24 4 years ago

It took me over a year to put my Flipper Fidelity speakers in my BK2K. Things I'm excited for like Aurich's Shadow translate or ColorDMD I use right away.

#25 4 years ago

I don't have many pins at the moment but am at the other end where I design and sell mods, with a strong focus on plug and play, totally removable with no damage to the game along with detailed instructions - strive to provide something that I would expect if I bought a mod. Prior to making mods I did buy a few and was frustrated sometimes buy the lack of instructions and I lost confidence to install.

#26 4 years ago

Nope. It might take a bit to get them in but they always get installed.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Mods that are powered by the game and interactive with game play are certainly my favorite mods and they also need to have clear (with photos) and concise installation instructions.

All of www.leesParts.com mods are specifically designed to be easy to install and interact with each pinball machine to improve game play, enhance appearance or solve a problem.

Quoted from Aurich:

Definitely agree, making mods that are easy to install is more work on my part but it makes them much easier for others to install and enjoy!

EasyInstall.jpg

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I think the only one I've done that with is Zitt's Star Trek caps. They looked super cool, but man, to install them on my Premium meant taking half the game apart and I just never found the time and energy to do it. Ended up selling the game and throwing them in.

Yup. My ST caps are laying there staring at me all the time too. I'm thinking of selling them. I was hoping for a real cold winter so I could just lock myself in the basement and get all the mods from the other boxes installed on the other games. But it looks like its going to be a mild one.

#29 4 years ago

Man I couldn't tell you how many grand i have into mods still sitting in the box. Not good.

#30 4 years ago

I make easy install mods too, all of our stuff is plug and play, no modifications required. You would think I had all the cool mods installed in my games....but I don't. Which is what this topic is really about.

www.pinballpro.com

image.png

#31 4 years ago

I have several mods that haven't been installed. I have 10 sets of pinblade artwork I've yet to install.

My problem is, I keep taking on "new projects" that wind up getting bumped to the top of the list.

It would take me a couple weeks just to install all of the mods I've bought.

I'm just thankful that we have "creative minds" that create this stuff.

#32 4 years ago

I have an endless list of mods waiting for a rainy day to install... by the time I install a couple there are usually a couple more shipped to the house

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 6.50
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Lighting - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside