Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Law
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-42.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm curious if people adjust their tilt rings. New games I setup the tilt bob is never in the center of the ring. Obviously people play at different inclines. But do they adjust the tilt ring so the bob is centered?

#2 9 years ago

Always, otherwise you wind up with a machine that's way more sensitive in one axis than the other. Or worse, sensitive in one direction only.

#3 9 years ago

Yes. The ring has adjustments to it so you can have the bob centered.

#4 9 years ago

I probably should, but I never do. Who has the time when there are so many other things to tweak and fix!

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Yes. The ring has adjustments to it so you can have the bob centered.

Besides bending it to put the bob in place, what other adjustments are there?

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

The center ring can be moved side to side

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

Bending what? The tilt bob goes on the stem first below the ring then tighten the thumb screw. The ring is attached to the cabinet with two hex head screws that allow you to move it back and forth so the bob is centered.

image-42.jpgimage-42.jpg

#9 9 years ago

Absolutely. It is critical to have the bob centered in the ring. On older games I clean both surfaces to get rid of any corrosion for a better contact, then make sure it is exactly centered.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Bending what? The tilt bob goes on the stem first below the ring then tighten the thumb screw. The ring is attached to the cabinet with two hex head screws that allow you to move it back and forth so the bob is centered.
    image-42.jpg

I didn't notice that it actually slides... I thought they were just holes for the screws, not a slot.

#11 9 years ago

Yup. Especially getting ready for a show. I tighten that tilt up proper.

#12 9 years ago

The tilt ring needs to be adjusted if/when you change the slope of a machine by more than half a degree or so. Otherwise the bob will sit much closer to the front or back of the ring. It's not as noticeable if you set your tilt pretty loose, but it's very obvious with a moderately sensitive or severe tilt. The large (80+) machine arcade in my area tends to "adjust" machines that are getting too many free plays by jacking them all the way up to 7 degrees +. In a couple cases this actually resulted in the tilt bob sitting *on* the front side of the ring and making it impossible to tilt unless you nudged hard enough to pop the bob up off of the ring.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

The tilt ring needs to be adjusted if/when you change the slope of a machine by more than half a degree or so. Otherwise the bob will sit much closer to the front or back of the ring. It's not as noticeable if you set your tilt pretty loose, but it's very obvious with a moderately sensitive or severe tilt. The large (80+) machine arcade in my area tends to "adjust" machines that are getting too many free plays by jacking them all the way up to 7 degrees +. In a couple cases this actually resulted in the tilt bob sitting *on* the front side of the ring and making it impossible to tilt unless you nudged hard enough to pop the bob up off of the ring.

Nailed it! The tilt ring should be checked and adjusted once you have the pitch set.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

I'm curious if people adjust their tilt rings. New games I setup the tilt bob is never in the center of the ring. Obviously people play at different inclines. But do they adjust the tilt ring so the bob is centered?

Always.

#15 9 years ago

I think titian sells a "tilt o meter" i always thought that was cool never got one yet sadly.

You can loosen ring up get it very loose then slide your plum Bob up as to almost touch then swing it a little and let it settle. The tighten the ring screws and check.
    It is hard for me to describe how I do it and I does take a bit of fiddling.

#16 9 years ago

I take those dumb things out as soon as I can...
    Hate losing a game because of a bad tilt adjustment.
    Besides, I know how to play without abusing the machine..."too much...".

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

I take those dumb things out as soon as I can...
    Hate losing a game because of a bad tilt adjustment.
    Besides, I know how to play without abusing the machine..."too much...".

Yeah, but then when you go and play on location or in a tournament you're at a handicap. Figuring out when to "use up" your dangers and what sort of shots and saves you can get away with at what point in the game is a big part of strategy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-adjust-your-tilt-ring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.