Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Add washers?”

• Good idea 10 votes
      45%
    • Waste of time 12 votes
      55%

(22 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dd462e68caf92f3a549e3cd1c43e750833fdfb5f (resized).jpg
    IMG_0886 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I find myself always adding washers between nuts/screws and plastics. When I'm shopping a game I do it all over the place.

Good idea or waste of time?

IMG_0886 (resized).JPGIMG_0886 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I do on all mine, clear or metal depending on the theme.

#3 6 years ago

I add washers on the top and bottom, and throw away the cheap looking plastic nuts and replace with chrome crown nuts.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I find myself always adding washers between nuts/screws and plastics. When I'm shopping a game I do it all over the place.
    Good idea or waste of time?

what size are those again? I wanted to do those too so the plastic doesn't get all jacked up

#5 6 years ago

I think this is a good idea - if you are careful when screwing things down, you won't bend or damage the plastic. The washers do create a rubbed area sometimes, which is kind of frustrating but better than a broken plastic!

clear plastic seems far better a choice to me than metal. Love the chromed nuts idea.

#6 6 years ago

Kind of a waste IMO.

The top of a plastic is not printed so you don't have to worry about damage - it can be polished out.. and the area is covered by the nut itself anyway. All you are doing is making the blocked area even bigger.

#7 6 years ago

I never thought to add washers like that. Does it actually do anything?

I do add PETG washers below plastics to help protect them from ball strikes, primarly on slingshots and any sections that jut out or are near pop bumpers.

Also, depending on the game, I sometimes use rubber post caps, so if a ball strikes the plastic, it will pop off from the force of the ball, rather than ending up trying to absorb that direct strike and possibly breaking.

#8 6 years ago

Silly me- I thought this thread was about the use of 3/4-1 inch washers to protect plastics near slings from ball strikes.

FWIW- I think almost every game I have came with at least most/many of the plastics using washers as described here so I have carried the "tradition" forward- but wondered why. I do believe I will evaluate their presence going forward now that I discovered they are an aftermarket mod.... they are pervasive in my neck of the woods- that much i know.

#10 6 years ago

Not sure if it actually does anything other than give me a feeling of another buffer between the twisting of the nut and the plastic. Maybe superstitious.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Not sure if it actually does anything other than give me a feeling of another buffer between the twisting of the nut and the plastic. Maybe superstitious.

Shopped a ton of games and all the above washer does is press it's way into the plastic.

#12 6 years ago

The clear fender washers, when installed correctly, do not actually touch the silkscreened plastics:

dd462e68caf92f3a549e3cd1c43e750833fdfb5f (resized).jpgdd462e68caf92f3a549e3cd1c43e750833fdfb5f (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The clear fender washers, when installed correctly, do not actually touch the silkscreened plastics:

Correct, but not at all on topic.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I do add PETG washers below plastics to help protect them from ball strikes, primarly on slingshots and any sections that jut out or are near pop bumpers.

Seemed like we were talking about PETG washers somewhere in this thread.....and every game I see has them installed incorrectly (chewing up the graphics on the undersides of the plastics).

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Seemed like we were talking about PETG washers somewhere in this thread.....

Not really.

But yes people do put them on incorrectly.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stern assembled their fender washers wrong too then.. as they would not be under the nut, but on top.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern assembled their fender washers wrong too then.. as they would not be under the nut, but on top.

"Stern can't do anything right"

-Pinside

#18 6 years ago

I sometimes put washers on top where the plastics overlap the siderails and have screws holding them on. In those places there is usually a cut-out in the plastic rather than a full hole and it seems to hold them on better.

Do people put metal washers on top of plastic posts as a rule between the plastic post and the top of the metal post, i.e the same place where Vid has the fender washers? I've seen some people do this, but it kind of seems like overkill.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Seemed like we were talking about PETG washers somewhere in this thread.....and every game I see has them installed incorrectly (chewing up the graphics on the undersides of the plastics).

...oops.

Looks like I'm gonna have to fix that on my pin... I just hate that I'll have to mess with so much Loctite...

#20 6 years ago

I kinda do all of the above...clear washers below plastic, sometimes done as vid shows...mostly slings, or shots in direct line.

Metal washers, wherever needed. I rarely add, if ever metal to any new Stern, but on older DMD, so many washers are often removed, I add them back.
    (Sometimes, when re-assembling layered games, Ill add a washer above the plastic, because its difficult to get the nut out straight, and it protects gouging the plastic, as well as it being hidden)

Ive broken 2 plastics in 45 years, one had no protection, the other snapped the clear washer as well/

2 years later
    #21 4 years ago

Is there a preference for using metal over PETG washers?

#22 4 years ago

I assume there less ball damage with PETG, plus is looks better.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-add-washers-over-plastics?hl=rdrapeau3171 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.