(Topic ID: 197011)

Do you actually like pinball?

By skyrex

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

This may seem like a strange thread topic but bear with me a minute. I don't post much on the internet. Used to be heavy into a couple of owners forums for cars I own but dropped out due to the fact it became tedious dealing with some of the personalities. As for pinside I created a profile when I sold a game a couple of years ago and never checked back much.......until the recent release of SW. Thought it would be fun to check in on excitement there had to be for a title of this magnitude.

Quick history. Bought my first pin 4 years ago that I still love and play to this day. The much maligned stern IJ. Always the most popular game with my guests. Since I have bought 4 NIB pins......IM Vault, Star Trek pro, GOTLE and now SWLE. All stern products but have played and enjoyed other brands. Fortunately I have a lot of pins available in Vegas to try and play. It has been a crazy fun hobby and where I thought I would only have a couple I now have 4. So enjoyable and the modern games have so much to do. Just love to play them and lose an hour or two in pure gaming bliss. So much better than video gaming.

So imagine my surprise when i see the venom spewed at a game that hadn't even been released yet. Not everyone of course (I have read a ton of members post I enjoy) but by a very vocal group. Then I go and do some searches on games I love and see the same pattern. So it spurred me to actually write a long post. And here is my .02 on new game releases and its treatment here and I am sure other places.

First you can't tell much from a video. SW is soooo much more impressive in person. The Death Star which looks small in the vids is actually very impressive in person and the hyperspace loop is incredible. Video can't convey this. Even those 3 picture video that show different aspects all at once just can't represent how sound, video and gameplay are going to come together. It has to be experienced. And honestly while I can get a feel for a game on location it is so much better in a home setting. You can set the game up as you like and immerse yourself in it. As for game field pics......useful and fun to look at but nothing beats in person.

That said I respect that it is hard to buy games sight unseen especially with how much games cost. But doesn't all great things in life cost? Yes games are expensive. Fortunately they seem to hold value well but do you buy cars and expect them not to depreciate? Have you ever bought something and had an issue with it shortly after purchase? Of course. Why should pins be any different? Of course there is nothing wrong with posting your opinion or negative experiences but "I hate this" or "it's so disappointing" without ever having played or seen it in person is just not constructive.

Bottom line this is supposed to be fun.....for a lot of you it obviously is and for me it is just incredible fun. I guess my overall point is focus on the positive of a great hobby/activity and tune out the noise. If you have a machine in your home to kill time with then any day should be a great day. Thanks for reading and honestly thanks to the majority of positive members of pinside!!

#2 6 years ago

Yes.

#3 6 years ago

I don't like pinball... I LOVE pinball. I've met so many great friends through this hobby. I like playing (I find it relaxing, even when I'm swearing at the game). Love working on them, everything. Good stuff.

#4 6 years ago

I love everything about pinball except Ghostbusters. Wish I never bought that game

#6 6 years ago

Hey skyrex, that's a good post you made and a good topic. The internet is a very negative place in general; Pinside is almost rainbows and ice cream compared to some college football forums I read or the MMA forums. Currently there seems to be a battle of the manufacturers going on and many people are simply taking sides and then confirmation bias kicks in.

Stern has really upset a lot of people with their playfield situation and they have not met the coding expectations of many on several games. Sterns failure to explain the nature of the cause of the ghosting Playfields has caused many to speculate on the reason (in the absence of facts speculation will run rampant and it will be negative). Also, Stern had their formula refined down pretty narrowly, you can predict what the game is going to shoot like and what sort of features and layout it will have before you see it based on who is designing it. People want some variety, variety is the spice of life. This is why TNA is being so well received, it's different.

I fully expect Stern to rebound strong eventually, but they clearly need more coders. I'm certainly glad you are enjoying Star Wars.

#8 6 years ago

The internet is full of douchebags. Just buy cool pinball machines you like. Everyone hates everything.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

This may seem like a strange thread topic but bear with me a minute.

Alright a quick minute annnnnnnnd start!

Quoted from skyrex:

I don't post much on the internet. Used to be heavy into a couple of owners forums for cars I own but dropped out due to the fact it became tedious dealing with some of the personalities. ....

ha oh you'll do great here

Quoted from skyrex:

As for pinside I created a profile when I sold a game a couple of years ago and never checked back much...

Pinsiders love this yes...

Quoted from skyrex:

Quick history.

"Quick" history...shorter than the original one minute?

Quoted from skyrex:

Bought my first pin 4 years ago that I still love and play to this day. The much maligned stern IJ.

OK finally getting good

Quoted from skyrex:

So imagine my surprise when i see the venom spewed at a game that hadn't even been released yet.

Right haven't been to Pinside in years we get it...like 10 probably

Quoted from skyrex:

...So it spurred me to actually write a long post. And here is my .02 on new game releases and its treatment here and I am sure other places.

Thought this was gonna be quicker...

Quoted from skyrex:

Even those 3 picture video that show different aspects all at once....

Hmmmm.....

Quoted from skyrex:

That said I respect that it is hard to buy games sight unseen especially with how much games cost. But doesn't all great things in life cost?

Huhhhh.....

Quoted from skyrex:

Yes games are expensive. Fortunately they seem to hold value well but do you buy cars and expect them not to depreciate?

Tide turning - investment and a cargument

Quoted from skyrex:

Of course there is nothing wrong with posting your opinion or negative experiences but "I hate this" or "it's so disappointing" without ever having played or seen it in person is just not constructive.

This was like minutes 20 ago

Quoted from skyrex:

Thanks for reading and honestly thanks to the majority of positive members of pinside!!

Star wipe and scene

#11 6 years ago

Was much worse during the old rgp days. Completely unregulated and spilled into real life and physical threats. This place is unicorn farts compared to the old days.

#12 6 years ago

I love pinball. And no Internet forum is going to be able to change how I feel about my passion.

Marc

#13 6 years ago

Not really a fan, but I just love everybody here so much I need an excuse to hang out.

#14 6 years ago

We love pinball. It is disappointing to see negativity. Remember you can use "ignore user". There really is only a few really negative people. this is a forum and everyone can comment whatever they like!

#15 6 years ago

That's the game with the flappers, right?

I wouldn't be in the hobby if I didn't enjoy it

#16 6 years ago

Love me some pinball, but didn't like Star Wars at all. But it doesn't matter what I think. I you like it and want to spend your hard earned money to get it, good on ya.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We love pinball. It is disappointing to see negativity. Remember you can use "ignore user". There really is only a few really negative people. this is a forum and everyone can comment whatever they like!

This for sure. Plus 1,000. If you block out the five people that irritate you the most, life is simply improved. The ignore feature should be used more frequently.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

This may seem like a strange thread topic but bear with me a minute.

A minute? Just how fast do you think we can read.

#19 6 years ago

Man I hope so.

#20 6 years ago

Yup, plenty of other toxic forums out there to get the aggression out. This one has a 'be nice to others' rule, while you rant about anything pinball, and its easy enough for most to follow.

Glad you like your new SW pin. Looking forward to trying it for myself. Will see if the theme compensates for the shortcomings I keep hearing about here and on various pod casts I enjoy.

... and yes I like pinball... and welcome back.

#21 6 years ago

I think Star Wars is a fun pin to play with friends. I question wether I like pinball at all any more. I helped start a league in my City, have been to over 60 arcade/pinball shows, played in a lot of tournaments over the years, and have bought and sold more games than I can remember. When people ask me how many games I own, I can't even answer them because I don't know myself. I have asked the same question you have many times but always come back to playing after taking a few days or weeks off and I still enjoy playing with friends and making new friends. A couple weeks ago I left my house and set a goal to try and get someone at my local barcade addicted to pinball that has only played a few times. I think I was sucselful and will try it again. That's something you couldn't really acomplish on a random Friday night 10 years ago because locations were non existant around my town.

I challenge others that get bored with their everyday pinball routine to try the same in their town.

#22 6 years ago

Consider that some people love pinball so much that they care about the direction that the industry is taking. Yes, I agree with you that many take it too far here on pinside but there is a place for criticism, both positive and negative, as both serve to shape the future of pinball. Let's be happy we're lucky enough to live in a country where criticism is possible. There's just something about having someone tell me I should love everything without question that doesn't sit right with me.

#23 6 years ago

Sir, how dare you imply I do not even like pinball because I like Pinside !

Monsieur, I challenge you to a duel (as the Ringmaster so gleefully says)

#24 6 years ago

What you're describing is an off-shoot of what is called "elitism" on electronic media. As people invest more of their time into any given subject, they will then begin to take on said subject as one of the defining characteristics of their personas, up to becoming a foundation of such. When such a sizable degree of their sheer existence is determined by the subject at hand, the fabrication of their social interactions begins to use the subject matter as a replacement for more everyday, run-of-the-mill equivalencies. To the outsider or to the objective POV, this appears as taking one subject entirely too far; however, to the individuals actually doing such, they are discussing all walks of life, be it friends, family, love, success, failure, oppression, etc. through their subject-centric discussions.

A "star wars is junk" thread may appear to you and most as such, but to the individuals heavily engaged in such, they may as well be discussing the predictability and lack of attraction to the typical cookie-cutter socialite female.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Was much worse during the old rgp days. Completely unregulated and spilled into real life and physical threats. This place is unicorn farts compared to the old days.

Those aren't the old days. Back when r.g.p. Started it was great. People would post tips on new games, locations that might be near you and what they had, and excellent repair help. Yes, there were trolls, but nowhere near what happened during the G**y years.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Those aren't the old days. Back when r.g.p. Started it was great. People would post tips on new games, locations that might be near you and what they had, and excellent repair help. Yes, there were trolls, but nowhere near what happened during the G**y years.

Hahahaha, G**y?? You can say Gary. Three times even. He probably won't show up like Beetlejuice.

#27 6 years ago

a forum is what you make of it
most threads are positive and/or helpful
there are a some that are negative

you can choose to ignore the negative, or you can get caught up in it

#28 6 years ago

i love pinball. that doesn't mean i have to love every single pinball machine.

For example -- although i love many Stern games, Star Wars seems cheap and phoned in to me, and the art is soulless. plus i don't personally enjoy constant hurry-ups, and i'm sorry, but the death star toy is lame as hell. that's my opinion, though, and i don't represent anyone other than myself.

listen, i think your mistake is lumping everyone together as a single monolith of "people other than you". there are literally thousands of us posting here. in any arbitrary group of that size, you're gonna get a few who have a problem with a game. it doesn't mean the community has a problem. it's just how the numbers work out.

like ... let's say you had a group of twenty thousand people. at any given point, several of them are most likely farting. that doesn't mean all of us are farting all the time. but if you start focusing on all the farting, you will not have a good time (unless you're into that kind of thing i guess).

anyway, all i'm trying to say is criticizing a large community for expressing the inevitable traits of a large community is kinda pointless. have you seen what some other forums are like? this one is a lot better than most. the mods do a great job of keeping things from spiraling out of control. but no amount of moderation is going to eliminate negative opinions of things, and no pinball on earth is ever going to be loved by EVERYONE.

i think the vast majority of people here like the vast majority of pinball machines.

last piece of advice: don't let opinions that differ from yours diminish your enjoyment of a game!

#29 6 years ago

I love pinball. Also, the negativity seen in some threads here is quite mild compared to threads about upcoming or released console/PC games. And those are generally only about $50. I would agree with those that have submitted that the problem is the Internet and anonymity.

That said, I also wonder if those most negative are younger? IMHO, among the younger generation (<25) many do suffer from an extreme form of instant gratification disorder. Everything should be perfect, available instantly, and preferably free. It's pretty hard to operate businesses dealing with that demographic....

#30 6 years ago

I take all opinions about new releases with a grain of salt until I get to actually see the machine first hand and play a couple of games myself.
...and yea, Vegas isn't too bad of a spot to be able to play 'em in the wild.

#31 6 years ago

Ya, we all hate pinball. And what the hell let's hate boobs too while we're at it. What else.. hmm... Betty White ya, her too !

#32 6 years ago

From an Aussie perspective...

I love the pinball hobby itself and seeing it grow with new entrants in what is a relatively isolated market.

#33 6 years ago

I really dont like it......i come here for the pirated music.....

#34 6 years ago

I didn't choose pinball. Pinball chose me.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

That doesn't mean all of us are farting all the time.

Speak for yourself.

#36 6 years ago

Liking pinball does not mean being blindly positive about all aspects of it. Simple fact is SW is a huge let down for most people. It will likely still slowly get excepted as a good game over time if the code is supported. I may still buy one but nothing from the release made me feel like I needed to get one now. I have not been really negative about the game, it's just OK looking and I would need to play it a lot and really like it to justify the price for what I'm getting. Like mentioned above just put the ones that constantly bag on a game on ignore and pinside becomes a much better place. People need to be honest though and companies need to know when they are not performing up to expectations of the community.

I sat in on a talk at TPF this year and the speaker was very clear that we should all just be happy. He made it extremely clear that people would not be getting game anytime soon and no one was getting a refund. But those that are out $8500 still need to just be happy

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from BenTheCartoon:

Speak for yourself.

Haha, truth. I probably cover 100-200 people's allotted amount of farting by myself.

#38 6 years ago

I'm glad you enjoy your Star Wars.
I think the negative sentiment is because they screwed the license up twice before and expectations were in the stratosphere.
So the artwork choices and barren playfield was a big letdown [after the packed playfield of Ghostbusters]. EDIT: I do think this is the best of the Star Wars out there, but that was a low hurdle to clear.

We have a pro here at work and I've played it a handful of times. It's pinball, nothing really drew me in. I play DI much more.

As for the haters, pinside is full of opinionated A holes. Don't let someone elses opinion get under your skin. There's fans for every game out there. Even ones I wouldn't pay $25 for at a yard sale.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Haha, truth. I probably cover 100-200 people's allotted amount of farting by myself.

It always feels great knowing you are above average at something.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Foxis:

That said, I also wonder if those most negative are younger? IMHO, among the younger generation (<25) many do suffer from an extreme form of instant gratification disorder. Everything should be perfect, available instantly, and preferably free. It's pretty hard to operate businesses dealing with that demographic

You must know my son, you described him perfectly
-Mike

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Wolfmarsh,

Do you purposely continue to eat foods that you know make you gassy?
If so, that really is a bit jr-high-ish.
And then on top of that, to be proud of it, and sorta brag about it.

If you do that at home, well, whatever.
Please watch what you eat when attending SFGE-2018. No toxic stench releases in the free-play area, nor in any elevators.

#42 6 years ago

I can say that I like playing pinball. I tried to re live Atari, nintendo,snes but I found those games boring now

And the video games now. There too much going on for me to keep up

But pinball, I still have fun. I'm not that good so a game could last 2min to 20min. So 1-2 games at a time is enough for me.

#43 6 years ago

The problem with a long post is some of the message gets lost when people scan. I fully support everyone's right to state their own opinions.....positive or negative and I say that later in the first post I made. If you have a problem or negative experience you should share it. It can help other people or lead to progress that makes things better for everyone. What I don't like is seeing a game crushed if you have never even played it.

There are great things about pinside and truly I find most of the people entertaining. I guess I don't spend enough time on the internet to not find negativity for the sake of negativity disappointing. Think of all the great things that modern pins can do. Personally I think we all have a great idea in our heads about how to knock it out of the park for a license we are passionate about. I can say I was not in love with the layout for SW when I saw it as it did not match what I thought it should be in my head. But the theme was worth it to me then I actually played it and formed the opinion that it is damn fun. Others may not share that opinion and that is fine. But like anything in life I like to see or read educated opinions based on experiences not on knee jerk reactions.

There are lots of very cool people and things on here. Very supportive people. Just was wondering if others have noted the blind negativity I noticed. I am a positive, glass half full kind of guy and I have played many games I don't like or don't get why they are popular. However I have never made that judgement without playing the game first as I have been surprised more than once.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I read somewhere that for the average person fourteen farts a day are considered normal. Based on these figures, and judging from my own output, I have to assume there are millions of people who never fart at all.

- George Carlin

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Please watch what you eat when attending SFGE-2018. No toxic stench releases in the free-play area, nor in any elevators.

Hahaha! Don't worry, I'm not one of the stinky people at pinball shows. You are safe with me. I get so paranoid I take multiple showers daily at shows like SFGE, hahaha.

To be honest, I haven't really smelled anyone that bad at SFGE, unless I just got lucky and missed them. Now on load-in night, all bets are off and people can be as stinky as they get.

#46 6 years ago

I found myself thinking on the way home from Allentown this year that unless you count that guy whose BO trail was longer than the tail on Halley's Comet, I didn't get crop dusted a single time. Could this hobby be going mainstream?

#47 6 years ago

Yes! And I come at it entirely from a "street" perspective, so it's all about the game to me. Some of the most fun games I've had have been on pins that most people would scoff to own, like the time I put fifty cents in a decent Hardbody and scored a replay on every game for almost an hour - it's just a good, fun game! There's nothing like getting the 20 million on Bad Cats, or getting all the targets down on 2001 on your first ball, or chasing the red dot on Stars.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Yes! And I come at it entirely from a "street" perspective, so it's all about the game to me. Some of the most fun games I've had have been on pins that most people would scoff to own, like the time I put fifty cents in a decent Hardbody and scored a replay on every game for almost an hour - it's just a good, fun game! There's nothing like getting the 20 million on Bad Cats, or getting all the targets down on 2001 on your first ball, or chasing the red dot on Stars.

Do you have the other half of this amulet?

#49 6 years ago

Honestly? I don't think I do anymore. I just enjoy things that are challenging in *general*. Pinball is a vehicle for learning things and doing things that I think are hard to do for most people for me.

I'm still going to own games, because I really appreciate the art and crazy themes, but I feel like my excitement and enthusiam for just "ERMAGERD IT'S A PINBALL MACHINE NO WAI!!" is kind of shot the last two years or so. I don't enjoy the chase, I don't enjoy working on games anymore all that much. I like helping people fix their games just fine, but anytime I have to fix something at home I find it unbelievably irritating. I'm tired of all the parts and tools all over the place, and anything short of CPU board issues or sound board issues is just a snooze and an annoyance. Tournaments are....

I'm about to print out a shirt that says "Most Consistent 1st Loser" because I keep finishing in 2nd place.

#50 6 years ago

The secret is to go away from the hobby for a bit. If it's really meant to be, you return.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-actually-like-pinball/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.