(Topic ID: 11)

Do we really need all those expensive licenses?

By robin

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8b25701e19904fcfa30939c44a4f408f (resized).jpg
    8E2B9AB5-ADBD-4D8F-B66D-CF09A8AE3268 (resized).png
    necrobump (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 5 months ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

TWD could have been named Dead Walkers and sold just as well. Speech and sound did not come from the show and neither did playfield art. Guess there is no way to tell if it would have sold same numbers with alternate title. TWD sales were slow at first and code was a borefest. Some were saying TWD was a throwaway title, like Mustang had been. When Lyman took code in a new direction, interest in the game was rekindled and turned from cold to a warm embrace.

I'm not so sure about this. When TWD dropped, one showed up at a local hipster bar that never had pins before (or since, for that matter), and I'd pretty much guarantee they put it in place b/c of the theme, and weren't sweating the quality of the code. I'd bet that with TWD, as with most pins, theme-based sales more than cover the licensing cost.

I'm all for it if companies choose to make new, unlicensed themes. But I also respect that they are businesses that need to make money to keep the lights on and the investors satisfied. And there's no real financial upside to going with an unlicensed theme. If you do one, you're doing it for the creative freedom (or if the rumors about Steve Richie's next pin are accurate, to keep one of your stars happy), not because it compares favorably vs. licensed themes on a financial basis.

#64 5 months ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Metallica is probably the closest thing to an unlicensed game Stern has done in ages.

What makes Metallica more "unlicensed" than other licensed titles like KISS or Aerosmith that also used original artwork? Did Metallica give Stern more creative freedom or something? It feels pretty well integrated with the Metallica license to me.

#67 5 months ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Metallica was a big deal when it came out. A Stern game with hand drawn art, original character toys with full interaction and voice acting, kick ass animation/dot work with again, original designs. Nothing about it was canned and pumped out from a license. Kiss is a band pin, it's about the band. Aerosmith felt like a half assed attempt to recreate Metallica's magic, that failed in my mind. It's more like Kiss really, just with a Sparky knock-off.

I agree that Metallica is a more appealing overall package than KISS or Aerosmith. But Metallica definitely uses the brand of the band heavily (down to the voice work and toys), and rightly so since it's a Metallica machine. So it seems more like a question of execution than of "licensed-ness."

#71 5 months ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

less significant than greed

To be fair, Addams Family has greed pretty well covered.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 27.50
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.00
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 6.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 21.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball-Mods.com
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 6.00
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside