Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by AkumaZeto
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do we need more pin techs?”

• yes 22 votes
      73%
    • no 8 votes
      27%

(30 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

As some of you know I own a small appliance service company in northern Va.. Pins are popular and abundant here. With all the government here many people are not feeling the economy like in other less fortunate places. I got into the pin hobby a little over a year ago and jumped in with both feet. I learned everything I could in the short time ive been in the hobby. My background in appliance repair translated over into pinball repair nicely. Im quite proficient in pin repair now.Ive done a bit of work for people, charging far less than a pin repair professional for the sake of experience, love of pins and the desire to help people out. I have had a bit of a dream to slowly move my appliance business into pin repair. The demand or lack there of has deterred me. Now with the hugh uprise of new pins and old pins getting put back into play I wonder now if the need for more pin repair people is upon us. So I ask the pin community. Am I dreaming or Is there enough demand to make a profit at pin repair? I personally would like to specialize in shopping pins out. When I say a shop job I mean a real quality no corners cut full on shop job that would impress the best. Im capable of it, Can I make any money?
    I know most of you are die hard pinheads and like to work on your own pins but thats not the norm. From what I see, aside from us pin crazies many people with pins are guys with no knowledge, time or desire to work on there own pins.

#2 11 years ago

Yes, we'll need them if the hobby continues on past the next generation.

#3 11 years ago

If things keep growing in the home market, as it seems to be doing.

Yes, we need more pin techs.

Down side will be if you are that smart, you can make a heck of a lot more money in other fields.

A person who paid $14K for a MM won't understand why you don't work for less than minimum wage, why you should be reimbursed to drive to their house, and since they just spent so much money on a pin why should they have to pay for parts. Doesn't the warranty cover that ?

Best wishes to anyone considering the home repair field.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

We need more people to learn how to fix their own pins.

#5 11 years ago

More pin techs, if they were country wide and not just near DC, would also help revitalize the rout market . . . some operators surely are leaving the industry due to the difficulty in repair.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If things keep growing in the home market, as it seems to be doing.
    Yes, we need more pin techs.
    Down side will be if you are that smart, you can make a heck of a lot more money in other fields.
    A person who paid $14K for a MM won't understand why you don't work for less than minimum wage, why you should be reimbursed to drive to their house, and since they just spent so much money on a pin why should they have to pay for parts. Doesn't the warranty cover that ?
    Best wishes to anyone considering the home repair field.
    LTG

I've been in the home repair industry for 16 years now. I repair 600-800$ appliances everyday and my customers have no problem paying 200-400$ to fix there appliances. When it's a highend appliance, 3000$-5000$ the bills average 8_1200$ with no issues. I know your the man to talk to about this so are you saying the mindset is different with pins?

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I've been in the home repair industry for 16 years now. I repair 600-800$ appliances everyday and my customers have no problem paying 200-400$ to fix there appliances. When it's a highend appliance, 3000$-5000$ the bills average 8_1200$ with no issues. I know your the man to talk to about this so are you saying the mindset is different with pins?

Others may chime in for their areas.

In my area the mindset is different to say the least. At least when it comes to pins.

LTG

#8 11 years ago

I have a few ads on different sites to buy machines. The majority of replies are people looking to have theirs repaired. I don't have time to be a repairman, but I feel for some people, so I take a few on.

I'm amazed at the amount they are willing to pay for even EMs that are worth maybe $300-$400. Most don't care about the cost, just repair it so I can play it, and make it pretty.

THIS is why my TAF hasn't been restored yet...

#9 11 years ago

Yeah Lloyd, as per my previous post, I have NEVER had an issue with anyone tire kicking on the cost in my area, and I am not cheap, basically because I don't want to do it, and I have better things to do.

Having said that, I never end up charging for all the time I put into something.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Others may chime in for their areas

$85.00/hour in shop
    $110.00/hour onsite plus mileage

Those are pretty standard technician rates up here.

#11 11 years ago

As a hobby yes for a little extra cash, but to support your family as a real job? Hell no!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

We need more people to learn how to fix their own pins.

Totally agree with this, so I voted no.

#13 11 years ago

I charge $100 an hour and 98% of the time fix everything on location. If there is extensive battery damage, I may remove the board and leave with it.

I try to avoid having any games brought into the shop unless it is a playfield swap or restore. Every time you move a game you risk scratching the paint or decals, even with a cover there is some risk.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

As a hobby yes for a little extra cash, but to support your family as a real job? Hell no!

I agree with this. The pinball market is to unstable to think of it as a career that will support a family. Except for the exceptions where people have old or large company's with good reputations. I wouldn't be doing this to support my family. That's covered other places. I would like to do something I love for a change. Appliances are and would still be the bread and butter of my business.

How many techs do we have on this site? To the techs here in the US how many service calls, inhome, do you do a week and what's the average bill? How many and often do you do full shop jobs on pins? Do you have more work than you want or less than you need?

Quoted from Firebaall:

$85.00/hour in shop
    $110.00/hour onsite plus mileage
    Those are pretty standard technician rates up here.

These are about the same rates I use in appliance repair. Though I don't charge hourly, it's all flat rate pricing. With hourly rates the guy with more experience makes less. A rookie may take 2 hours to diagnose and repair a pin where an expert my do the same job in one hour. Therefore the rookie will make more on the job. This is also fair to the customer who would have to pay some guy who doesn't know what he's doing an extra hour to figure it out.

#15 11 years ago

I would learn if someone was willing to tech me first hand, but the only guy I know about in Georgia, that ran around and fixed pinball machines has fallen off the face of the planet. Me only knowing basic Soldering skills and replacing bumper skirts and drop targets wont get me far... So, I would say more, more of them to teach me!

#16 11 years ago

My company charges out $75/hour for pin repair, although if we fix it in-house we ususally cut them a break. I get paid less than $9/hour for doing the work. Also, it's not that pins are difficult to repair, it's that they break quite often and bring in very little money compared to, say, a touch tunes. Let's say there's a broken pin to diagnose. $30 in parts and a day of work later, it's fixed. It goes out in the field and earns $20/week. Now look at a touchtunes. Just swap out a hard drive ($150), and it goes out and earns $350/week. Which would you rather run?

#17 11 years ago

I just charged a local fella 550 bucks to shop out a ngg and mb. Thats tear down to wood re ring clean fix B.S etc.

#18 11 years ago

YES WE DO! I was contacted earlier today though the about a pinball tech for a sick Rudy!

The sad thing is, I really don't have a "guy" that I can truly recommend! I forwarded the email to fellow members.

The truth is, there is really NO money in it. Good weekend job... I guess?

-Aaron

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I just charged a local fella 550 bucks to shop out a ngg and mb. Thats tear down to wood re ring clean fix B.S etc.

How long did it take? Seems very cheap for the required time and effort.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

How many techs do we have on this site?

I wouldn't consider myself a home repair tech.

I don't do it. Not enough money to make it worthwhile.

And owning an arcade, in most eyes I one step ahead of the drug dealers. I fix a pin, later something else breaks. Sure as sh*t the home owner drags me into conciliation court and will likely win.

Just not worth it in my area.
    LTG

#21 11 years ago

I will do basic stuff at someone's home, but anything outside of easy, I usually say it's time to bring to my place. Just easier to do bits and pieces between day to day life.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

How long did it take? Seems very cheap for the required time and effort.

I was thinking the same thing....

Even if he charged that per machine, that would be a steal.

#23 11 years ago

I just ordered parts to do a full shop job on two pins. I gave the guy a price of $300 for each pin. He paid for parts. the following for each pin was ordered:
    Flipper rebuild kit
    Rubber
    Full Cointaker led kits
    High voltage rebuild kit
    A few needed targets
    Flipper switches
    Keyless locks
    Novus and wax
    Every, spring, plunger, coil stop and coil sleeve
    Rubber grommets
    Eos switches
    Might have forgot something
    Everyone, didnt miss any.
    Oh and a few mods but those might be a little extra depending on the time they take to install. They were added after we talked price.
    I can do them each in a long day working steady and the money will go to my pin fund. Fair price I think. Oh and its 45 min from my house. Sure I can make more money running appliance calls but I won't have as much fun.

On a side note. I ordered the parts from Marco sat night and they didn't even ship till today. They usually ship my stuff the same or next day. Should have gone out Monday. There slipping.

#24 11 years ago

Tony:

I thought about that and went down the road for a bit in the late 90's and early 2000's charging $75 an hour for in-home repairs and $400 for a complete shop job for a reseller and private owners in the area.

It is hard to view a beloved hobby as a business. I found myself putting tons of time into each game, time that I was taking away from other things.

The only word I can share from my experience is that once what you did for fun becomes a business, it becomes a lot less fun and stops being a hobby.

FWIW,

Dan

#25 11 years ago

Duh.
    There are 2 good techs in the 904 area code (maybe 3 but he is out of town much of the year).
    That's 3 techs at most to cover an area code of around 1 million people.
    Not Enough

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Others may chime in for their areas.

In my area the mindset is different to say the least. At least when it comes to pins.

LTG

I know a few years ago I offered to help some people with issues they were having with their pins, and as you say LTG people don't seem to appreciate being helped out. I wasn't even charging for my time, just parts, I was doing it for the love of pinball. Or maybe it's not they don't appreciate the help but they expected me to be at their beck and call like a real tech (I remember one lady called me at my real job when some parts came in and demanded I leave my job and come over to install the parts right that instant...) In the end I decided I didn't need the headaches, it just wasn't fun for me.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I was thinking the same thing....

Even if he charged that per machine, that would be a steal.

About 10 hours a game to strip and assemble maybe 12. I have a damn near photographic memory as i do substantial automotive work so it comes fairly easy for me. I in good faith cant charge that much money as its fun for me and its extremely easy work.

It takes on average about 1.5-2 hours to strip a game down to the wood. Then its mean green, Novus, 5 coats of wax and a final buff job. While that is going on posts and etc stuff is in the dishwasher bolts in the tumbler etc. Plastics go in the dishwasher on low heat setting.

I have been a service tech on and off for 5 years as well for a local op so its pretty standard stuff for me. Some stuff i still need to bounce ideas off of others to fix but thats pretty common in all things in life.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-we-need-more-pin-techs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.