(Topic ID: 126902)

Do US citizens get taxed bringing games back from Canada?

By Shenanigander

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-1.jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

I'm Canadian eh! Looking to do a trade. If a US citizen comes to Canada and brings me a pinball machine will they be taxed on the machine I give them when bringing it back across the border?

Or say a US citizen just comes to Canada and buys a few games are they taxed at at all when coming back into the USA?

#2 8 years ago

That's a good question and wondering the same. I'm sure they will get taxed but all I can say is if you buy a pin in the states and bring it back to Canada, don't lie to the customs officers. They will tear you a new ***hole and they're not as dumb as they look . Oh, and they are very familiar with this forum.

#3 8 years ago

I have never been taxed bringing one from Canada to the US. They have ll been US built games.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from nintendo:

That's a good question and wondering the same. I'm sure they will get taxed but all I can say is if you buy a pin in the states and bring it back to Canada, don't lie to the customs officers. They will tear you a new ***hole and they're not as dumb as they look . Oh, and they are very familiar with this forum.

oh yes i know! a couple of my friends have been red flagged but i didn't know they knew about pinside damn! they aren't dumb!

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85Txaggie:

I have never been taxed bringing one from Canada to the US. They have ll been US built games.

have you brought a few back? cause i know if they are in a good mood they will just wave you through. they did that for my Canadian friend. he had 5 pins and was ready to claim it all and pay up but he got waved though. no duty!

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shenanigander:

have you brought a few back? cause i know if they are in a good mood they will just wave you through. they did that for my Canadian friend. he had 5 pins and was ready to claim it all and pay up but he got waved though. no duty!

Some times if the item you are bringing into Canada is over 25 or 35 years old, it can be classified as an antique. This is a different than a Brand New Manufactured item.

#7 8 years ago

any other us citizens bring any pins back from Canada? did you pay any duty?

#8 8 years ago

According to NAFTA (North American Free Trade Act) any good made in the USA or Canada are duty free.

Any goods manufactured in the USA are free of duty regardless of which country they are coming from.

If the person importing the items purchased them for his/her own personal use they may be entered with an informal entry. Generally a single sheet of paper, sometimes just a wave of the hand. Without the payment of duties or fees.

If the person importing is bringing the machine in for sale or resale and is valued over $2500 USD then the officer can and generally does require a formal entry, which generally needs a Customs Broker. The Customs Broker will do the necessary paper work for a fee. This fee will vary from broker to broker. Plus there is a $10 fee for the vehicle carrying the machine.

So if I go to Canada and buy a Stern/Bally/JJP - etc -machine and import it for my own personal use. A simple one piece of paper is about all that is needed.

If I go to Canada and buy the same machine that is over $2500 in value and intend on selling it or putting it in my bar, then a formal entry is required. Still no duty, but a broker's fee.

That is for the Federal side of things. Whether the state you are importing to, taxes purchases in Canada is beyond my knowledge

Also if you are carrying over $10,000 in cash or other negotiable instruments you MUST report the import and export of the funds. I think Canada has the same requirements.

#9 8 years ago

If I recall, there is a new rule at the Canada/USA border. No pinball machines can be transferred out of Canada. They all have to stay up here. All of them. Even the crap ones.

If you try to take a machine from Canada, Harper will send his army of trained cats after you. Trust me, you don't want that. At first you're like "oh cute kitty, and it smells of maple syrup" and then you're like "Dear god! The pointy little claws! Where did my arm go?"

That said, you can bring machines up here. It is viewed as an act of international diplomacy.

#10 8 years ago

I've brought back quite a few pins from Canada...the last just a couple weeks ago.

You need 2 things to happen...so you don't get 'taxed' or whatever.

-Game must have been originally made in the US. I usually print the flyer out and bring it with me
    -Game must be for personal use and not business. Cell phone pic of the collection in the basement usually does the trick if they question it.

PS..don't even bother trying to bring a car back..its not worth it!

#11 8 years ago

oh yes i know! a couple of my friends have been red flagged but i didn't know they knew about pinside damn! they aren't dumb!

Yup, they know about Pinside. They'll even ask you to log into your bank account on their system, and show them where you took out the "supposed" amount. They know all the tricks. If you think you can out-smart them through one angle, there's a 99% chance they got it covered.

There's more damage done by not paying the stupid tax on the pin you're bringing up. Always tell the truth. It's better paying $600 tax on the pin than paying a penalty + additional fee's because you were caught lying (which can be $1000+).

#12 8 years ago

I've brought back quite a few pins from Canada...the last just a couple weeks ago.
    You need 2 things to happen...so you don't get 'taxed' or whatever.
    -Game must have been originally made in the US. I usually print the flyer out and bring it with me
    -Game must be for personal use and not business. Cell phone pic of the collection in the basement usually does the trick if they question it.
    PS..don't even bother trying to bring a car back..its not worth it!

^^^ This is my experience too. I have brought many back.

Jay

#13 8 years ago

Seems like US customs are lenient, but I guess having a machine that was manufactured in your country changes everything. From my experience, everyone who's bringing anything back from the US whether it be a magazine to a t-shirt has a target on their head. They're money hungry and I'm sure each officer has a quota to meet which is why you'll sometimes get a pleasant officer or you'll get that power-tripped guy/gal. I don't know why, but every time I enter the US the customs officers are super chill. Sure they ask the typical questions but it'll end with some sort of humor for example, one officer asked if I had a dead body in my trunk, or another asked if I am hiding any terrorists . Canadian customs need to lighten up a bit. But in the end I do respect them for keeping our borders safe. That's what it's really all about right? Or just increasing the bottom line for our government LOL.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from nintendo:

Canadian customs need to lighten up a bit.

Over on the West Coast, going from BC to Washington, Canadian customs have always been cool to me. I think in the past 10 years I only had one guy who was sort of grumpy. Going into the States is another thing. I'm a dual citizen and I've had US guards give me shit for choosing to live in Canada over the US. I just leave my US passport at home now. I actually have an easier time entering the US if they think I'm Canadian and not an evil "ex-pat". (Which is weird if you think about it. They should be welcoming their people home.)

I brought a pin to Canada about a month ago. We joked around with the guards. When he asked how I wanted to pay the tax, my girlfriend said "pinball credits?". He liked that idea - but sadly couldn't do it. I filled out the papers, paid the tax, no hassle.

I think the trick with all crossings is just be straight forward with them. They hear crazy excuses and bullshit all the time. When I brought the pin up, the woman in front of me was having a seizure over having to pay tax on some shoes or something. She was pissed. Moaning and whining. She had one excuse after another trying to get out of paying her $40 tax. She even said something like "but what if I decide to return them?". The guards were clearly done with her.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from nintendo:

Or just increasing the bottom line for our government

It's simple, in Canada we have a federal sales tax, and it's the border guard's job to collect that. In the US there is no federal sales tax and the border guards aren't responsible for collecting state taxes, although I would assume just like internet purchases technically every state resident is supposed to report their purchases and pay tax. Which would probably include bringing a pinball machine from Canada.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from nintendo:

don't lie to the customs officers. They will tear you a new ***hole and they're not as dumb as they look

th-1.jpegth-1.jpeg

1 week later
    #17 8 years ago

I have brought back two pins at two different crossing locations.

#18 8 years ago

It seems criminal to collect full 13% tax on a 30 year old arcade game for example, but that's what happens. I've been waived on through a couple of times with machines, but I always expect to pay full tax. It's true, never lie to them...they'll ask you to show them the ebay ad, communication or whatever...they've seen all the angles and will seize your goods if you falsify.

I knew someone years ago that was asked if she 'had any weapons of mass destruction' in her car. This was a 20-something Jehovah's witness girl going to an interview with Delta Airlines. She ended up being called in for some random search and missed her interview.

#19 8 years ago

Last time I went to Canada went like this.... Going in, no problem, try to order some breakfast, some ridicules language barrier was spewing French (I think) all over me,Like they never heard English. Pointed to eggs and was like Dude I"ll just have that, Drove all over hell Trying to find gas by the gallon, and got grilled extensively by American side going home....It sucked, So Salute the Maple leaf if you want, I wont EVER go back.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from clone97:

Last time I went to Canada went like this.... Going in, no problem, try to order some breakfast, some ridicules language barrier was spewing French (I think) all over me,Like they never heard English. Pointed to eggs and was like Dude I"ll just have that, Drove all over hell Trying to find gas by the gallon, and got grilled extensively by American side going home....It sucked, So Salute the Maple leaf if you want, I wont EVER go back.

This has to be a joke post.

#21 8 years ago

No. I've taken a few pins back from Canada and they just way you through. Almost all pins are made in the US so they're considered duty free.

#22 8 years ago

Oh man, I hear you. Once I went to Mexico and it was filled with these people that looked like illegal immigrants that hang around Home Depot. Then I wanted lunch and some guy had the nerve to only speak to me in Mexican or some shit. No dude. I don't want a damn taco. I want American food like pizza or French fries. I'm not going back there until they learn to speak American damnit!

#23 8 years ago

No. And there are about 10 threads in this topic already covered.

#24 8 years ago

Buy your pins from Mexico instead of Canada, and drive them over the border. Customs is focused on prevention of smuggling people and drugs. Pinball machines get a pass. Up next, how to get Canadian Pinsiders to move "South of the Border"?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-us-citizens-get-taxed-bring-games-back-from-canada and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.