(Topic ID: 17460)

Do these ads actually work for finding pins?

By Av8

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by way2wyrd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#2 11 years ago

It did not cost anything for him to try.

#3 11 years ago

I believe it is a nationwide ad. I have seen it by checking "all of craigs" pops up in alot of different cities.

#4 11 years ago

... and i bet he already got a HUO for that price! lucky bastard!!

#5 11 years ago

"Wanted ads" are worthless. There is certainly no shortage of buyers these days, so why would any seller waste his time??? I realize this particular ad is a joke, but there are a lot of "wanted ads" and they generally don't warrant alot of attention unless you post it on a forum with people you know.

#6 11 years ago

I put a sign in my truck window "I Buy Pinball Machines", you get offered a lot of junk but I did pick up a Scared Stiff non working with a broken ramp for 900 bucks.

#7 11 years ago

If it worked, none of the people on here that knew it did would tell you.

#8 11 years ago

tool

#9 11 years ago

lol I'm thinking of sending him a miniature AFM and say "Gimme my $1500!!"

#10 11 years ago

All I can say is this... I posted a wanted ad on Dallas CL with a list of machines. Said I had about 1400 to spend. Most machines were in that range, some would only be in that range broken/routed. I got only one email before I bought a pin. It was for my STTNG, 90% working.

It wasn't on my list, I wouldn't have asked for it for that price in a million years. The guy just emailed me out of the blue because I had the money in hand, and he wanted to sell it without a lot of bull and figured I might be interested.

As I've been working on it, found a lot of little wiring hacks, easy to fix. Reimport from Germany, so there's no service plug inside. GI connector was burned, head decals are torn up a bit but no wood damage. Cabinet sides, front, coin door, playfield are all GREAT, all the mechs work now, and I repinned the GI connector and headers.

Funny thing is, I paid for the machine by selling a Galaga cocktail and a Pinbot. I picked those up for 200 each, 400 total. Sold both for 1400 total. So between the game and parts, I have about 1000 in cash in my STTNG after buying the machine, a new plastics set, plastics protectors, full LED kit, wax, cliffy protectors and post sleeves, lane guide extenders. Could buy the head decals and a new translite and still be under 1500.

You never know unless you try.

Quoted from davewtf:

If it worked, none of the people on here that knew it did would tell you.

Wanna bet?

#11 11 years ago

Nice one Frax! You never know unless you try. I think I might have insulted a CL seller when I offered less money than he was willing to take, but I'm still new at pricing pins and that's all I can spend budget wise. But you never know unless you try.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

lol I'm thinking of sending him a miniature AFM and say "Gimme my $1500!!"

Send him the paper AFM.

#13 11 years ago

I've tried those "Road Side" ads, like you see around election time. Plus signage on the back of my truck (Wanted Dead or Alive! Arcade games and Pinball machines). Plus an entire website dedicated to buying pinball machines (Kinda like ). I even used Google's adWords to promote it.

All of these options cost money! All got seen, and all resulted in at least one machine. But the best deals, came from friends who knew my passion for pinball machines. They would tell me they saw a game at some random place, and I'd inquire. Its amazing what cash in hand can do.

-Aaron

ps. Ask The Gorilla or Mojo if the website works.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Chudmeat said:lol I'm thinking of sending him a miniature AFM and say "Gimme my $1500!!"
    Send him the paper AFM.

lol
    and label it limited edition 3 of 10

#15 11 years ago

You would be surprised, people do see those and just call.

#16 11 years ago

I tried them for a while. Another collector sold me a nice GL because of it. Another guy 15 minutes away called with a Taxi but it was beat to heck and he wanted $1200. They work a little.

#17 11 years ago

It has worked for me for my Seawitches and BOP. I have also turned down a couple of other not so great replies.

#18 11 years ago

Works well actually. I shoot for the EM s and get them free or cheap off a similar cl add

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-these-ads-actually-work-for-finding-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.