(Topic ID: 302922)

Do the thermistors in magnets ever fail? Occasional failure to grab...

By horseflesh

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have a game with a magnet grab feature, and once in a while, the magnet simply does not energize. I am positive it is not a switch problem, because the grab sequence has other sounds and animation ... it unfolds correctly except that the magnet itself just isn't energized. And it is worth noting that I never see evidence of a weak magnet. It works perfectly 90% of the time and 10% of the time it doesn't work at all.

Today I realized that these magnets (Bally #20-9247, WMS 22-675T) have a protective thermistor. If the thermistor was flaky... maybe that could explain why the magnet fails to energize some times? But I don't know if it is reasonable for a thermistor to fail in that way.

If not... can a transistor fail in such a way that it won't switch on once in a while? I haven't read about that before, but... maybe?

Assuming the computer is trying to fire the magnet correctly, what else could stop the magnet from energizing only sometimes?

#2 2 years ago

Can you check resistance across the thermistor and compare to the other magnets?

#3 2 years ago

I should do that--but since the problem is intermittent I suppose that test could look OK even if the part was flaky. Maybe I can reproduce a fault by wiggling things.

#4 2 years ago

The thermistor may be simply doing its job and opening up if the magnet is getting too hot. Does this happen all the time, or seemingly after it is used a bunch of times?

If it stops working, and you walk away for a bit, if you come back in an hour does it work again?

#5 2 years ago

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that simple @tjw998. It could fail on the first grab of the day, or it could fire several times, skip one, and then fire again in the same game. But now that I know the thermistor is in the system I'll have to watch closely again ... maybe my memory is off.

The magnet activity in this game is not super common, and I've not seen my weird problem reported by other users... So if I do see a pattern that suggests thermal protection is active, hopefully it is simply an overly eager thermistor instead of a deeper problem.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from horseflesh:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that simple tjw998. It could fail on the first grab of the day, or it could fire several times, skip one, and then fire again in the same game. But now that I know the thermistor is in the system I'll have to watch closely again ... maybe my memory is off.
    The magnet activity in this game is not super common, and I've not seen my weird problem reported by other users... So if I do see a pattern that suggests thermal protection is active, hopefully it is simply an overly eager thermistor instead of a deeper problem.

Assuming this mysterious game has a test mode - wouldn't it be an idea to set the magnet pulsing and see if it happens then ?
    While this is going on you could wiggle contacts around and see if there's a bad connection somewhere.

#7 2 years ago

A good idea I have yet to try @zigzagzag. I'm honestly not sure what kind of magnet test it has but I will look.

(The game is Shadow... I didn't mention it because the game has a complicated lock sequence which requires a couple of other switches to operate. Lock problems from a failing switch are common and cause a lot of weird problems. For purposes of this discussion I wanted to understand the magnet better and not get sidetracked by the switches, which are all good as far as I can tell.)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-the-thermistors-in-magnets-ever-fail-occasional-failure-to-grab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.