Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by freddy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do the "call me" guys actually buy?”

• No 30 votes
      65%
    • Yes 16 votes
      35%

(46 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

507FC3D8-7213-4500-898D-DF348DACE6B4 (resized).jpeg
    raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    hwzsnciu (resized).jpg
    C5D4C23D-DBE2-4DE3-B222-F05A912A4CEE (resized).jpeg
    AB999491-1503-4AE1-B95F-F4762F1F852F (resized).jpeg
    There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago

Get off my lawn! I must be getting old because it is so much easier to talk with someone over the phone than the back and forth messaging. You get a better sense of who you are dealing with and can find out more info through a 5 minute chat. When responding to an ad I always include my # to make it easier for old folk like me. When selling if someone shows interest the next message is my # in case they have other questions. The last pin I sold I responded to over 7 people with my # and almost every one of them replied back in message. I wound up selling the pin to someone here on Pinside through pm's only.

#102 5 years ago

Not related to pinball.....my sister-in-law is a texting fool. She is 79 years old. I get a text and answer her. Here comes another text and I answer. Here comes another.....

I finally told her that after 3 texts that we have a conversation going and to just call instead.

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Is it still available?

I’ve sent that message to people on CL, because there is a high propensity of people failing to remove the ads after the game is sold. Often, you get no response at all, and the ad is still up 3 months later.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I’ve sent that message to people on CL, because there is a high propensity of people failing to remove the ads after the game is sold. Often, you get no response at all.

Because if you reply to that message that it is available, you get a message from a guy on an oil rig that's going to send a friend with a cashier's check made out for more than you're asking.

As an interested buyer, it's up to you to express what interest you have in the item for sale. Is your interest simply whether it's available?

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

As an interested buyer, it's up to you to express what interest you have in the item for sale. Is your interest simply whether it's available?

Obviously not, and there is customarily more to my email. That is just how it begins, and it’s asking if it’s STILL available, not just “is it available” as you stated. I think we have all dealt with sellers that simply didn’t remove ads in the past after the item was sold.

Removing an ad once an item is sold must be as hard as picking up a phone for some people.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zennmaster:

Yup. This. I've gotten some of my favorite games this way. That and showing up and seeing something else and asking, "Hey, would you be willing to part with that too?" True, I haven't really gotten "smoking deals", but I got the games.

I once responded to an add for a pricey medieval madness. I showed up and he had every a list title. I ended up walking out with mm, afm, sttng, Indiana jones and white water for incredible prices because I asked.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I once responded to an add for a pricey medieval madness. I showed up and he had every a list title. I ended up walking out with mm, afm, sttng, Indiana jones and white water for incredible prices because I asked.

Since we're neighbors, next time you do that, gimme a call (well, text, I suppose ). I'll "help you load stuff".

#108 5 years ago

Being a women I don't like to talk on the phone text only. Most men turn the conversion weird. All I want to do is buy a pinball machine, not find a date or soul mate... lol

#109 5 years ago

My favorite is the text or instant message, "would you take $xxx". My standard response is I don't negotiate by email, text, or phone. When would you like to come see it? Call me to set a time.

The only exception is when they are too far away for a come see it trip, and are willing to pick up a phone and have a conversation. Or if they call and are obviously part of the pin community and I get the feeling they are serious. But 42 text or IM messages back and forth, no thanks.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Not related to pinball.....my sister-in-law is a texting fool. She is 79 years old. I get a text and answer her. Here comes another text and I answer. Here comes another.....
    I finally told her that after 3 texts that we have a conversation going and to just call instead.

Only way I talk to my kids is texting, if I call directly they never pickup. Think its a millennial thing!!

#111 5 years ago

Oh, and second favorite, the "is it still available message" I respond yes, want to come see it? Then they go silent, no response. Have really been tempted to send the FB ones, where you can see their profile, a message on their time line asking why they wasted your time asking if it was still available if they had no intention of responding.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zennmaster:

Since we're neighbors, next time you do that, gimme a call (well, text, I suppose ). I'll "help you load stuff".

Ha, will do. I did have to call a pinball buddy to split it with and help me move it all up the 1.5 flights of stairs with a couple 90 degree turns

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Ha, will do. I did have to call a pinball buddy to split it with and help me move it all up the 1.5 flights of stairs with a couple 90 degree turns

That's a true friend right there!

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zennmaster:

That's a true friend right there!

You're telling me. I think I’ve overused my neighbors. Every time I pull up and they see me unloading a game, they all close their doors and turn off the lights. Or they all suddenly have some type of shoulder injury that prevents them from lifting anything heavy. LOL

Luckily, it’s a flat ride into my game room, only one little step. I can usually manage myself.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

My favorite is the text or instant message, "would you take $xxx". My standard response is I don't negotiate by email, text, or phone. When would you like to come see it? Call me to set a time.
    The only exception is when they are too far away for a come see it trip, and are willing to pick up a phone and have a conversation. Or if they call and are obviously part of the pin community and I get the feeling they are serious. But 42 text or IM messages back and forth, no thanks.

I fire it right back. Say you are asking $500.00. Someone texts and asks "Would you take $100.00?" I text back and say, "I'll take $500.00. What will you give?"

That forces them to go away or make an offer. "Wood ja take" is not an offer. It is a question. If he comes back says "I will give you $100.00" I now have an offer. I can work with that. I say, ahhh...right now I can't go that low. I just put it up for sale. However, if I still have it sale in a few weeks maybe I could look at your offer. However, I could let it go today for $450.00. Can you do $450.00?

Sometimes it works. Some times it don't. If the guy is not a scammer, learn to laugh a little bit. Shrug it off. It is just business. And everybody is wanting it cheaper than you are asking most of the time.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Only way I talk to my kids is texting, if I call directly they never pickup. Think its a millennial thing!!

That must be your kids I see riding their bicycles down the street with their cell phones glued to their faces. I about ran into the curb one day when I saw that.

Hey kid...Waaatch out for that caaaar!

Kid text code: AIRDNR

Adult in room do not reply

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I’ve sent that message to people on CL, because there is a high propensity of people failing to remove the ads after the game is sold. Often, you get no response at all, and the ad is still up 3 months later.

I think it’s because even people with viable listings don’t reply to “still available”, it’s too short and sounds like spam. Of course a reply like “I am very interested in the pin, if it’s STILL AVAILABLE I would like to come check it out” would warrant a response.

“I am INTERESTED in the game, any issues I should know about, can I come take a look this weekend. “ seems like a real person

“Is it still available” simplistic reply ......um yes...
    “Interested” the reply is......okay......
    It’s a meaningless conversation thus wasting time, and usually they never reply. Interested is not even a question, there is no reply.

#118 5 years ago

In my experience, the people asking you to call them tend to be either older or technologically impaired. Serious about possibly buying, but just not able or willing to correspond via email.

#119 5 years ago

I am one of those older buyers, who built my company on direct communications with clients. I prefer phone calls.
    By the way I retired at 61.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

I am one of those older buyers, who built my company on direct communications with clients. I prefer phone calls.
    By the way I retired at 61.

So when somone is selling a pinball machine do you leave a message saying "call me?"

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So when somone is selling a pinball machine do you leave a message saying "call me?"

I can't speak for banker, but of I called someone who had a pin for sale and I was sent to voicemail I'd leave a message saying "call me". How else are you supposed to do it?

Of course, if it was a hot pin I would not wait for him to call back. I'd be calling him back relentlessly until I was told it was sold.

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How else are you supposed to do it?

A little more info but yeah I got off track there...the original post was aboot emailing just a "call me" not a call which is diff'rent than a call for sure.

#123 5 years ago

I don't get this thread at all. If you're trying to sell a product, you have to respond to people by phone or email. Simple as that. If you don't like it than say in your ad, "I respond to email only"! Good luck with that.
    If someone doesn't want to talk over the phone about their product they're selling, they are either a scammer or lazy. Neither one I want to do a transaction with....ever.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

I don't get this thread at all. If you're trying to sell a product, you have to respond to people by phone or email. Simple as that. If you don't like it than say in your ad, "I respond to email only"! Good luck with that.
    If someone doesn't want to talk over the phone about their product they're selling, they are either a scammer or lazy. Neither one I want to do a transaction with....ever.

It's not that I don't want to talk on the phone, people can call or ask questions or whatever, I'll call someone if they want to talk on the phone and they are serious. My post is about people who respond via email, ask zero questions and ask simply that I call them with no indication of their interest level or what the question actually is. These people tend to be big time wasters. They are putting zero effort into the deal because it isn't very important to them, because they aren't serious about buying.

Now if they ask me for my number, that is totally different, at least they have to do the work to pick up the phone, and guess what? Most of the time they don't call.

#125 5 years ago

So if you have a game up on craigslist with just the email link and I send "I want that and have cash. Call me. Thanks, Mark 541-xxx-xxxx" do I get a call or do you blow it off? Just curious.

I guarantee you 100% I will never bother you about anything posted on faceplant.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

...and I send "I want that and have cash. Call me. Thanks, Mark 541-xxx-xxxx" ...

Quoted from herbertbsharp:

My post is about people who respond via email, ask zero questions and ask simply that I call them with no indication of their interest level or what the question actually is.

#127 5 years ago

If they want me to text them or try to text me, they are shit out of luck. My wall phone don't play that game.

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786 (resized).jpgraf,360x360,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786 (resized).jpg
    #128 5 years ago
    507FC3D8-7213-4500-898D-DF348DACE6B4 (resized).jpeg507FC3D8-7213-4500-898D-DF348DACE6B4 (resized).jpeg
    #129 5 years ago

Sorry thelaw... The correct answer appears to be "crickets".

#130 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well first off I won't be buying any 10K games off anyone so let's set that outrageous inflated number aside.
    Would I be OK spending 3, 4, or 5k without mouth talking to someone? Yes, and I've done it plenty of times.
    Well actually I texted with them first, that's like talking for people under 60, and we shot the shit and made plans and yada yada.
    Like I said, I can do it both ways. The only thing I'm going to learn extra on the phone is whether it's a complete and utter set up (a fair concern), or the person is an uneducated heyseed; and this is pinball so I'm not learning much.
    Oh and obviously, guns.

I'm in my my early 40's and after initial inquiry emails or texts, still prefer talking on the phone for 5-10 minutes to get details ir when the deal gets closer.

I am not going to spend even 1k on an item before talking with a seller first. You can get more information and get a better feel for someone on the phone. I also get sick of answering emails and texts at a certain point. More time consuming in the end.

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

One guy said he's going to bring a mag light and magnifying glass over, and would need at least four hours to properly go over the game. Another wanted $200 back for his time if they declined to purchase the game because it didn't live up to their standards. So... THAT.

that detective guy was at my place looking over my W?D. seriously never again!

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-the-give-me-a-call-guys-ever-buy-anything/page/3?hl=zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.