Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by freddy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do the "call me" guys actually buy?”

• No 30 votes
      65%
    • Yes 16 votes
      35%

(46 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

507FC3D8-7213-4500-898D-DF348DACE6B4 (resized).jpeg
    raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    hwzsnciu (resized).jpg
    C5D4C23D-DBE2-4DE3-B222-F05A912A4CEE (resized).jpeg
    AB999491-1503-4AE1-B95F-F4762F1F852F (resized).jpeg
    There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Where is the transaction in a phone call? You set up a time and date for them to come see it, sure I get it. But real men do the actual deal face to face after having the game looked over and this includes the money part. I can't stand an email where someone can't even sign there first name at least, those make me not want to respond to the person more then anything but I do it anyways....
    John

Thanks for informing us how real men conduct business... Unless a pin I want shows up locally Im going to continue purchasing like a girl.

#52 5 years ago

It's unbelievable to me that people can agree to spend thousands of dollars and be comfortable with never having a simple phone conversation. Really? To each his own I guess. Personally I'm not really cool with finalizing a deal unless we at least have a short chat. Texting and email are so vanilla and impersonal.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

It's unbelievable to me that people can agree to spend thousands of dollars and be comfortable with never having a simple phone conversation.

Wow man wait till you get into buying things online...it's gonna like blow your mind!

Welp this thread juts cruised right into the old "old school guys like to talk on the phone" schtick like the other 3000 threads.
    Some people like to talk on the phone, some people don't; it's not that amazing or mind boggling.
    I go either way, if I text somone and they say they want to buy it see you tomorrow that's cool. I'm going to talk to them when they show up.
    Now, WHEN we get to the point of weirdo's paying you online and then wanting you to set the game at the corner, I'll get a little weirded out

#54 5 years ago

When buying or selling after some messages to see if a sale is really on the level I don’t mind phone conversation to seal the deal and discuss pickup and or shipping

#55 5 years ago

I just met you. And this is crazy. But here’s my number, so call me maybe

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow man wait till you get into buying things online...it's gonna like blow your mind!
    Welp this thread juts cruised right into the old "old school guys like to talk on the phone" schtick like the other 3000 threads.
    Some people like to talk on the phone, some people don't; it's not that amazing or mind boggling.
    I go either way, if I text somone and they say they want to buy it see you tomorrow that's cool. I'm going to talk to them when they show up.
    Now, WHEN we get to the point of weirdo's paying you online and then wanting you to set the game at the corner, I'll get a little weirded out

I don't have a problem with ordering stuff online. I do it all the time. Especially when dealing with a business. Let me get this straight though...You're cool with spending 10k having never spoken to the dude? Especially when you head over to his house with a big bag of cash? Maybe I am a little old school, but it just seems like common sense to me. Good luck though!

#57 5 years ago

Gather round the snapchat children. Let us elders tell you how it is.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I just met you. And this is crazy. But here’s my number, so call me maybe

AB999491-1503-4AE1-B95F-F4762F1F852F (resized).jpegAB999491-1503-4AE1-B95F-F4762F1F852F (resized).jpeg
    #59 5 years ago

This thread is classic Pinside.

C5D4C23D-DBE2-4DE3-B222-F05A912A4CEE (resized).jpegC5D4C23D-DBE2-4DE3-B222-F05A912A4CEE (resized).jpeg
    #60 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Let me get this straight though...You're cool with spending 10k having never spoken to the dude?

Well first off I won't be buying any 10K games off anyone so let's set that outrageous inflated number aside.

Would I be OK spending 3, 4, or 5k without mouth talking to someone? Yes, and I've done it plenty of times.
    Well actually I texted with them first, that's like talking for people under 60, and we shot the shit and made plans and yada yada.
    Like I said, I can do it both ways. The only thing I'm going to learn extra on the phone is whether it's a complete and utter set up (a fair concern), or the person is an uneducated heyseed; and this is pinball so I'm not learning much.

Oh and obviously, guns.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

I just love it when people ask if you're selling the pins next to the one you actually have posted for sale. My response..........

I've made my best deals ever by taking wide shot pics and people inquiring about the ones next to it. They are asking because they really want it so we make it happen and have gotten some awesome trades like this

#62 5 years ago
    hwzsnciu (resized).jpghwzsnciu (resized).jpg
    #63 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

Thanks for informing us how real men conduct business... Unless a pin I want shows up locally Im going to continue purchasing like a girl.

Not surprised.

John

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from skyrex:

I truly do not understand the aversion people suddenly have for talking on the phone.

I don't have avirgin to talking on the phone.

LTG : )

#65 5 years ago

(buyer here) - every pin I've bought started w a pm, then sharing email, then phone conversation to seal the deal.

If seller is too busy to answer a couple questions on the phone (primarily knowing he's legit, and accountable enough to answer the phone), he's too busy for my $$$

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I've made my best deals ever by taking wide shot pics and people inquiring about the ones next to it. They are asking because they really want it so we make it happen and have gotten some awesome trades like this

Yup. This. I've gotten some of my favorite games this way. That and showing up and seeing something else and asking, "Hey, would you be willing to part with that too?" True, I haven't really gotten "smoking deals", but I got the games.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

(buyer here) - every pin I've bought started w a pm, then sharing email, then phone conversation to seal the deal.
    If seller is too busy to answer a couple questions on the phone (primarily knowing he's legit, and accountable enough to answer the phone), he's too busy for my $$$

Hunh... Now that I think about it, the only pin I've ever acquired where a phone call was involved was NIB from a distributor. Everything else was all messages. I know people around here aren't necessarily big fans of Facebook, but it's how I've gotten most of my collection.

#68 5 years ago

This is how I prefer to communicate with people, like my ancestors did (except for when giving my worthless 2 cents on Pinside).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zennmaster:

Hunh... Now that I think about it, the only pin I've ever acquired where a phone call was involved was NIB from a distributor. Everything else was all messages. I know people around here aren't necessarily big fans of Facebook, but it's how I've gotten most of my collection.

Despise FB.....if someone is willing to give me their name, e-mail, and phone #.....goes along way to me. No stalking or unnecessary jabber..I just like to know who I'm buying a used machine from.....hell, a distro would be the one I wouldn't need to talk to, as accountability is already there (even though all of them put their phone #'s in their contact info).

Buying from FB? not a chance for me.....

#70 5 years ago

I always assumed the "Call me" was a tactic to see how desperate the seller is. IE, if they call you back really quick they may be desperate to sell the game, and hence they would just low ball. Basically a trick to see how motivated the seller really is, and how malleable they would be on price.

#71 5 years ago

I've went from call me to I'm on the road in 30 minutes more than once

#72 5 years ago

I always say call me. Give my number and a brief description of my intentions. I dont lke doing everything via email/ PM and text. I feel when I talk with someone I can ask the questions that would make me / both of us feel more comfortable doing a transaction. I agree always follow up a phone call with a text or something to recap what was agreed upon. Just so now you have something in writing so there is no confusion or temporary amnesia. There are alot of scammers from both sides so everyone needs to be careful. How many times have we seen for sale ads with very familiar pictures showing their alleged item for sale. "Hey that's my game room"

#73 5 years ago

As always, different strokes...

I’m happy to text and have a written record. At some point in a sale or purchase, I require a voice conversation. That’s a personal thing for me. No problem at all if that’s a line the other party can’t cross. We probably just weren’t meant to have a transaction.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well first off I won't be buying any 10K games off anyone so let's set that outrageous inflated number aside.
    Would I be OK spending 3, 4, or 5k without mouth talking to someone? Yes, and I've done it plenty of times.
    Well actually I texted with them first, that's like talking for people under 60, and we shot the shit and made plans and yada yada.
    Like I said, I can do it both ways. The only thing I'm going to learn extra on the phone is whether it's a complete and utter set up (a fair concern), or the person is an uneducated heyseed; and this is pinball so I'm not learning much.
    Oh and obviously, guns.

Granted 10k was just a number...I don't have any either, but some are approaching that threshold. I'll have to learn that there texting thing real soon. It's a little difficult on my flip phone though.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Despise FB.....if someone is willing to give me their name, e-mail, and phone #.....goes along way to me. No stalking or unnecessary jabber..I just like to know who I'm buying a used machine from.....hell, a distro would be the one I wouldn't need to talk to, as accountability is already there (even though all of them put their phone #'s in their contact info).

I'm not quoting you to single you out, but do people think buying from FB or talking via text involves sending your credit card number and SSN through the platform and hoping they drop off a game? It's just like any other form of communication and ends in the same in person transaction a phone call would. If people think just because you talk to someone on the phone means they won't be crazy well...whatever helps you sleep at night.

Pretty much all the true deals are on FB these days. I've picked up a $550 Mousin Around and a $500 Frontier this year alone. The less people using it the better for me I guess. Sent them both a message within 2 minutes of the alert and went and got the game while everyone else was pulling out the white pages

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

It's a little difficult on my flip phone though.

Whats a flip phone? Is that like when I take my phone off the wall and try to hang up the handset upside down? It doesn't work very well, trust me.

John

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Buy know thing the other person wasn't........what exactly?

One guy said he's going to bring a mag light and magnifying glass over, and would need at least four hours to properly go over the game. Another wanted $200 back for his time if they declined to purchase the game because it didn't live up to their standards. So... THAT.

#78 5 years ago

Fair Enough!

So he was a pinsider?

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

One guy said he's going to bring a mag light and magnifying glass over, and would need at least four hours to properly go over the game. Another wanted $200 back for his time if they declined to purchase the game because it didn't live up to their standards. So... THAT.

WOW, that’s bold.
    I would literally tell him proudly to go pound sand

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I'm not quoting you to single you out, but do people think buying from FB or talking via text involves sending your credit card number and SSN through the platform and hoping they drop off a game? It's just like any other form of communication and ends in the same in person transaction a phone call would. If people think just because you talk to someone on the phone means they won't be crazy well...whatever helps you sleep at night.
    Pretty much all the true deals are on FB these days. I've picked up a $550 Mousin Around and a $500 Frontier this year alone. The less people using it the better for me I guess. Sent them both a message within 2 minutes of the alert and went and got the game while everyone else was pulling out the white pages

No worries....I just have FB issues, period. A great way to find personal info on potential hires, however ( way more prying than a phone call)....I like buying things online, but high dollar purchases require me to know who I am buying from.... a legit phone # , talk , does make me feel a bit better than sending $$$ wherever....

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

No worries....I just have FB issues, period. A great way to find personal info on potential hires, however ( way more prying than a phone call)....I like buying things online, but high dollar purchases require me to know who I am buying from.... a legit phone # , talk , does make me feel a bit better than sending $$$ wherever....

I can see that but at the end of the day you're still gonna go there and see it in person and talk to them. FB is just the entry point for the transaction. There are so many people that take 3 pictures and slap 100 to 500 bucks on games around here and just want them gone its nuts. Saw a $100 Phoenix and a $300 James bond this week among others. It's really a great place to scoop up deals. Worst case tell them you're coming and then walk away if it isn't right, but it can be a gold mine.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

I just love it when people ask if you're selling the pins next to the one you actually have posted for sale. My response..........

Why not ask?? I bought my Space Shuttle that way.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I’d tell the detective to act fast b/c the price just went up $200 and will go up by $200 for the next four hours.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Why not ask?? I bought my Space Shuttle that way.

A guy in Omaha had a Cleopatra for sale. I asked about the Seawitch that was sitting next to it. Pissed him off. Big Time. But i'll ask the next guy just the same. I'm about as shamless as a news reporter

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I can see that but at the end of the day you're still gonna go there and see it in person and talk to them. FB is just the entry point for the transaction. There are so many people that take 3 pictures and slap 100 to 500 bucks on games around here and just want them gone its nuts. Saw a $100 Phoenix and a $300 James bond this week among others. It's really a great place to scoop up deals. Worst case tell them you're coming and then walk away if it isn't right, but it can be a gold mine.

Not always, actually.... I'm in NC, and have bought games from all over...Met some cool pinbuds by just yapping a bit...All good

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from skyrex:

I truly do not understand the aversion people suddenly have for talking on the phone. I can figure out/work out things in a 5 minute phone call that would take much longer to text or email. In my old business about 7 years ago everyone seemed to become phoneaphobic. I would have people send me these elaborate emails and I would call them back. Then they would say ‘“Why did you call me?” To which I would reply “because I can write you a 40 minute email or I can talk to you and be done in 5 minutes”

I agree with this 100%.
    A quick phone call saves all the back and forth time waisting you would incur either via text or email.
    If its local, ill just go look at it.

EDIT: Also, via phone you can directly address questions the seller may neglect to address or avoid answering via email or text.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I agree with this 100%.
    A quick phone call saves all the back and forth time waisting you would encour either via text or email.
    If its local, ill just go look at it.
    EDIT: Also, via phone you can directly address questions the seller may neglect to address or avoid answering via email or text.

The world of texting and posting has left many who did not pay attention in school out in a field of short cotton and no place to hide.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I think I used to blow them off because they struck me as not-so-serious buyers, and I don't like to waste time talking to tire kickers on the phone.

Call me, I have a standing offer I will make on any machine you have......it's science.....

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Ha! Exactly how I picked up my Space Station. I usually text to say I'm interested and ask for pics. I'd then rather talk for five minutes than do alot of typing. You can also tell if the seller is a flake....

#90 5 years ago

I can call you Betty & Betty when you call me you can call me Al

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've never bought anything FROM Facebook, but I have bought a lot of games from PEOPLE on Facebook. Every single transaction has involved exchanging messages, arranging a time to meet, a first-hand inspection, and if all is well, an envelope full of cash. In a FB group dedicated to collecting things, it's pretty easy to find out quickly who's a legit collector/trader, and who has just appeared out of nowhere with a truckload of grail games. I've also seen people alert each other about deals that seem too good to be true, and why they indeed are.

In my humble opinion, it's a lot safer and less mysterious than Craigslist, or even sometimes Pinside.

Of course, everyone should do what they feel comfortable with.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Then came "the wife" excuse.

The fuck....?

Dude, if your woman really is the reason you as a grown as fucking man cannot buy a game, you need to re-claim your mancard and your ballsack.

Good gosh almighty.

*not directed at you, Herb*

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Dude, if your woman really is the reason you as a grown as fucking man cannot buy a game, you need to re-claim your mancard and your ballsack.

Most guys don't have those kinds of problems with their wives. It's just an excuse to get away from the sales rep.

One of my old car salesmen friends had an entire desk drawer full of most any brand of cigarette you could want. And he did not smoke. Marlboro, Camels, Luckys, Viceroy, you name it. He had a pack in his desk. This way when the prospect was trying to get away from the sales situation by saying he needed to go have a smoke, my friend would just open up his desk, pull out an ashtray and ask the guy what brand he smoked. Now, the prospect can't leave.

My friend sold a lot of cars.

I'll be back.

I need to think about it

I need to talk to my wife.

All are just excuses to get away from whoever is doing the selling.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

But real men do the actual deal face to face

#95 5 years ago

and don't try to talk me down over the phone, at least come look at the game before you start throwing out numbers.

#96 5 years ago

I have never experienced as many "flaky" potential buyers as I have over the past few months here on Pinside. Typically machines sell as fast as I list them but over the past few months it just seems like there is always a "full moon" and all the crazy people are out. I have actually talked to over a dozen people about some of the machines I have for sale and all of those machines are still up for sale.

When I say "talked to" I have had potential buyers email saying "I'LL TAKE IT AND CAN COME GET IT TOMORROW" - I contact them and say OK and next thing you know no reply. I have had people come to the house and love a machine - "I'll be back with cash and a truck tomorrow do you want a deposit?" I say no just pay me when you grab it and next thing you know a week goes by without any additional contact from them. ETC - ETC -ETC

I talked to a buddy of mine that has been in the hobby over 20 years and he has gotten so discouraged he is now just selling machines to Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) and letting Lloyd deal with the retail customers. He said he hates to do it but Lloyd has been paying more then he can get from Pinsiders and he doesn't have to go through all the BS trying to sell a machine. I seriously think that will be the direction I head next also.

Don't get me wrong I still sold 8 machines in the past couple weeks. But all of those went to my regular customers. The machines I am having a tough time with are the ones my regular guys already have or are not interested in. Thank GOD most of my sales are to repeat buyers or I would be getting really discouraged by now. I know if would be much easier if I was willing to ship machines but up until this year I have never had an issue finding solid local buyers for everything I have sold.

In any event - thankfully I don't deal with people on the phone or I would be wasting even more time with the tire kickers.

#97 5 years ago

Can't stand getting the "Call me" thing either. Ugh!

#98 5 years ago

Every pin that I have bought or sold , envolved phone calls , after PM.

#99 5 years ago

Call me. On the line.
    Call me, call me any, anytime.

#100 5 years ago

My two favorite messages:

Is it still available?

&

Interested

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-the-give-me-a-call-guys-ever-buy-anything/page/2?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.