(Topic ID: 144532)

Do Stern metal cab protectors hurt value?

By bstyles

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PastedGraphic-1.jpg
PastedGraphic-2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rum-z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 8 years ago

IMO, no. In fact, I find added value in the leg protectors being there, as I can't stand a chewed up cabinet.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Keep the game, fix it up.
Many NIB machines will have some corrosion if they were stored in an unconditioned space.

I think Chris Hutchins documented restoring a NIB No Good Gophers that Pat Lawlor himself owned and sold to a collector, and that machine was stored in a less than ideal location (or locations), and had corrosion on metal parts, and also some lifted inserts, and as I recall, it was NIB.

Can you just restore and shine the metal parts on top of the playfield and make do with some less than stellar quality metal on the bottom side?

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I've actually seen setups in which the Stern style protectors couldn't keep the legs completely off the cab, guess that depends on production tolerance of the legs themselves.

When using the Stern style metal protectors you must be careful to fasten the legs squarely to the cabinet, as you can tilt the legs before they are tight and touch the cabinet with a leg corner, possibly putting a nick in the art. Sometimes I use some thin carboard as protective shims during the inital mounting process to insure the legs are spaced equally on each side of the cabinet and contact with the art does not occur. I also deburr the legs with a file before I install them as sometimes when they are stamped, the stamping process will produce a sharp burr that will be pointed right at your cabinet art (not what you want).

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've had the felt wrinkle cab decals.

So have I.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 85.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rum-z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-stern-metal-cab-protectors-hurt-value?tu=rum-z and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.