(Topic ID: 253237)

Do Shaker Motors Make It Easier To Tilt?

By KingHebes

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I operate some pinball machines on location and I feel my tilt settings are set pretty fair. Not so tight that you will be getting dangers from flipping fast and hard in a multiball. But any big nudges will result in danger/double. I was considering a shaker motor on my Jurassic Pro and Deadpool Pro, but was wondering if shaker motors make it easier to get danger/tilt on pinball machines? I haven't played many games with shaker motors, so any input in this area is appreciated. If they affect tilt sensitivity, I'll probably pass.

#2 4 years ago

You would have to have a strong shaker and a crazy tight tilt to see this happen. I mean a tilt so tight that flipping would give you dangers.

#3 4 years ago

if you had any worries about it I would suggest putting some foam ear plugs into the tilt bob. It makes the tilt bob settle back super quick

#4 4 years ago

Never seen them cause tilts, but why put shakers in routed machines? Are your customers enthusiasts that would know the difference, or are asking for them?

That just seems like an extra $300 they have to bring in to break even.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Never seen them cause tilts, but why put shakers in routed machines? Are your customers enthusiasts that would know the difference, or are asking for them?

yes the majority of my customers, myself included, are enthusiasts. I'm new to operating, been doing it about a month. I've been into the competitive pinball scene for a few years now though. I've gone into operating with a player mindset. My machines are set up perfectly and very well maintained. I think a shaker motor would please a lot of people. I will also be installing headphone jacks on machines that have the option as our machines volume level needs to be low, due to the location. I have a ACNC on the way with a shaker motor, so I guess I will see how that feels.

#6 4 years ago

$300? What shaker motors are YOU buying?

The pinball life one is $79. Well worth the investment, even for route.

Spike/Spike2 $79
    https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

SAM $79
    https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-b-for-most-stern-sam-system-games.html

Even the CGC and Jersey Jack ones (which are the most expensive) are only $149.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I think at the 149 level, the game would need to earn $300 to pay for it, after location split. Probly what Black knight meant.
    I think a shaker is great for casual players as well, they DO notice it, and might play a couple more games trying to get the game to shake more.

#8 4 years ago

I strongly feel that shakers move the tilt Bob. I believe the new subwoofers dont help either

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I think at the 149 level, the game would need to earn $300 to pay for it, after location split. Probly what Black knight meant.
    I think a shaker is great for casual players as well, they DO notice it, and might play a couple more games trying to get the game to shake more.

Any operator that is doing a 50% location split in 2019 needs to have their head examined unless the location is EXTREMELY LUCRATIVE, and probably even then, too. Most ops I know are doing 70/30, and some are keeping 100% for locations that want to use the pinball as a draw.

But even if it's a crazy 50% split, at $79 real-world pricing, that's ~$160 earnings to pay for it. A long way from $300.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

$300? What shaker motors are YOU buying?
    The pinball life one is $79. Well worth the investment, even for route.
    Spike/Spike2 $79
    https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html
    SAM $79
    https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-b-for-most-stern-sam-system-games.html

Well then they have come down in price since last time I bought one. PBL used to be 115, but I usually just had my distributor put one in for 125.

That’s 250 plus time. So pretty close to 300.

#11 4 years ago

Well then they have come down in price since last time I bought one. PBL used to be 115, but I usually just had my distributor put one in for 125.
    That’s 250 plus time. So pretty close to 300.

No operator is going to pay a distributor an additional 60% of the cost of a shaker motor to spend 5-10 minutes installing it. So, real world with a dumb op still doing a 50% split, $160 max to recoup.

9 months later
    #12 3 years ago

Just to follow up on this, my verdict is that shaker motors can definitely effect the tilt bob. Alice Cooper for example shakes when it kicks the ball out of the mystery scoop. If a player is already on double danger or has the bob in sway already, the rumble can definitely push the bob the extra little bit to cause a tilt/danger. I've had it happen to me and have seen it happen to others.

#13 3 years ago

tilted a tight tna in tournament by starting multiball, so yes

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from MJR8peanut:

tilted a tight tna in tournament by starting multiball, so yes

Or the tilts in spooky games have never worked right. There’s a problem with the software or the bob never stops moving. I’ve tilted TNA and Alice Cooper from plunging.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Or the tilts in spooky games have never worked right. There’s a problem with the software or the bob never stops moving. I’ve tilted TNA and Alice Cooper from plunging.

You should have the operator check the tilt bob. My acnc had an issue similar for a little bit. The tilt ring was kind of loose and crooked. There's only one screw that holds it on, 2 would be ideal. I was going to drill a second screw in if it came back, but after realigning the ring properly and really tightening the screw down the issue hasn't come back.

#16 3 years ago

Yeah we tried all the standard stuff. Still wasn’t reliable. We never did the ear plug mod to be fair. Probably needed it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-shaker-motors-make-it-easier-to-tilt?hl=twoheartedmale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.