Do ROMs go bad?

By doublezo1

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

this might be a dumb question but do roms go bad? why? i still cannot figure out my sound issue with the bride of pinbot so i ordered some new sound roms. if this doesnt fix the sound problem ill have to send out the boards. so, do roms go bad and why.

#2 12 years ago

They can definitely get corrupted.

#3 12 years ago

Yes. Why/How? I dont know.

#4 12 years ago

I've heard it referred to as bit rot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rot

#5 12 years ago

Bit rot. they say you learn something everyday. i just might change my user name to bit rot. thanks.

#6 12 years ago

I replaced Rom in my jokerz, still has music issue (so its the board). Rom is always a good place to start since its an easy/cheap fix

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I replaced Rom in my jokerz, still has music issue (so its the board). Rom is always a good place to start since its an easy/cheap fix

did you ever find out what the problem was with your board?

#8 12 years ago

Hi,
I think, that might be my problem with my Elektra, power goes to the board, volume goes up and down on it but just a stuck note, so I think the board works but the information on the roms must be corrupt and so i get the incorrect sound. That's what i'm thinking so far!, in my head it sounds like a logical solution, but hey I've been wrong before!

#9 12 years ago

The images on the ROM can become corrupt. The ROM can also go bad as well. Usually, but not always, when the image is just starting to degrade you can see goofy things happen. In the case of Pinball machines you could see everything from boot issues to crazy stuff happening during play i.e. coils firing switches going off etc. They do not go bad often but I have seen plenty of bad roms over the years in all kinds of equipment.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Where is the best place to get ROMs from?

John Wart
That Pinball Place

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 40.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-roms-go-bad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.