(Topic ID: 317683)

Do RAD CALS help or hurt the value of a machine long term?

By pinflipper

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Squeakman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bsd (resized).jpeg
    20220221_171925 (resized).jpg
    20220220_111745 (resized).jpg
    20220220_195523 (resized).jpg
    20210927_140051 (resized).jpg
    20210927_140023 (resized).jpg
    20210924_130622 (resized).jpg
    20220626_135552 (resized).jpg
    20220626_135611 (resized).jpg
    20220626_135549 (resized).jpg
    20220626_135539 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Just wanted to see what other peoples thoughts are on whether RAD CALS help or hurt the value of a machine in the long term.
    Thinking along the lines of classic cars and original paint, etc.

#2 2 years ago

I think RAD CALS look like hot trash.

But if somebody took the time to install “normal” decals over a properly prepped cabinet then that would be huge plus… of course, they look like the originals when done nicely. Don’t care about something being original as long as it looks great.

#3 2 years ago

I personally don't care. I wouldn't pay them extra for this

#4 2 years ago

Some people don’t like RadCals, so I figure having them lessens the amount of people interested in purchasing. But if it’s your machine that you’re going to keep long term, put them on if you like them and enjoy them.

#5 2 years ago

I felt like EVERY mod had this issue...until I see the silly prices that "heavily modded!" pins go for. Clearly most people like other people's mods in general. I do not.

#6 2 years ago

They are trash

#7 2 years ago

For me:

Beat-up/unrestored cabinet < radcals < nicely done decal job. So, yes, some value added.

#8 2 years ago

If done properly, they look better than decals to me. I love the thick glossy look they have.

By done properly, I mean decals removed, cabinet sanded and corrected, cabinet painted, warning text stenciled on rear, etc. Basically exactly what you would do for decals.

Applying them over the top of existing decals looks like crap and would devalue a game.

#9 2 years ago

It depends on the radcals and how they were applied.

I've installed two sets on my machines. The Indiana Jones radcals look great and the art lines up perfectly unlike the decals out there.

The ones for TOTAN are terrible. The colors are way off and I will eventually remove them and install regular decals.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Applying them over the top of existing decals looks like crap and would devalue a game.

You cant see the underlying decals through the Rad cals! Not sure what your referring to?!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

It depends on the radcals and how they were applied.
    I've installed two sets on my machines. The Indiana Jones radcals look great and the art lines up perfectly unlike the decals out there.
    The ones for TOTAN are terrible. The colors are way off and I will eventually remove them and install regular decals.

What was the issue you had with TOTAN?
    I applied a set to Monster Bash and the cabinet looks like candy now. Funny because the machine I am working on now is indeed TOTAN and I was going to order a set tomorrow but would like to hear your feedback!

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

If done properly, they look better than decals to me. I love the thick glossy look they have.
    By done properly, I mean decals removed, cabinet sanded and corrected, cabinet painted, warning text stenciled on rear, etc. Basically exactly what you would do for decals.

I've gotta respectfully disagree with you here. I did a STTNG restoration for a fellow Pinsider last year. After sanding and bondo'ing multiple times, I sprayed it with automotive-grade primer and paint, then stenciled the back of the cab. Then I took out the Radcals from it's package...

I told my buddy there was no way I was installing that crap on top of all the hard work I did on the cabinet. No matter what you did, there would be no way to make it look good with those plastic edges overlapping on the corners, and no way to properly cut out and trim the start button (et. Al.) holes without making it look sloppy. He ordered regular decals, sold the plastic crap, and thanked me for talking sense into him. Now he has a STTNG that looks brand new, rather than something that looks like a hatchet job.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've gotta respectfully disagree with you here. I did a STTNG restoration for a fellow Pinsider last year. After sanding and bondo'ing multiple times, I sprayed it with automotive-grade primer and paint, then stenciled the back of the cab. Then I took out the Radcals from it's package...
    I told my buddy there was no way I was installing that crap on top of all the hard work I did on the cabinet. No matter what you did, there would be no way to make it look good with those plastic edges overlapping on the corners, and no way to properly cut out and trim the start button (et. Al.) holes without making it look sloppy. He ordered regular decals, sold the plastic crap, and thanked me for talking sense into him. Now he has a STTNG that looks brand new, rather than something that looks like a hatchet job.

I used a Dremel with a sanding tip to do the start button on MB and it looks great!

#14 2 years ago
    20220626_135539 (resized).jpg20220626_135539 (resized).jpg20220626_135549 (resized).jpg20220626_135549 (resized).jpg20220626_135552 (resized).jpg20220626_135552 (resized).jpg20220626_135611 (resized).jpg20220626_135611 (resized).jpg
    #15 2 years ago

Okay...so I'm a little OCD, but as nice of a job as you did, I still couldn't take looking at that. So I guess it's just me.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinflipper:

You cant see the underlying decals through the Rad cals! Not sure what your referring to?!

Because the existing decals aren't going to be perfectly flat - they will likely have gouges and scrapes which will lead to uneven spots in the RadCals.

And no matter how perfectly you installed the RadCals, a discerning eye could tell they were underneath - which to me, negatively affects value.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinflipper:

I applied a set to Monster Bash and the cabinet looks like candy now. Funny because the machine I am working on now is indeed TOTAN and I was going to order a set tomorrow but would like to hear your feedback!

It's mainly the color. The black starry night is more like a brown starry night.

20210924_130622 (resized).jpg20210924_130622 (resized).jpg
    20210927_140023 (resized).jpg20210927_140023 (resized).jpg

The black should look more like the black on my IJ radcals.

20210927_140051 (resized).jpg20210927_140051 (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago

I am a fan of radcals but they must be done correctly. Simply putting them over the old art is lazy and a huge mistaken. I removed the old art, fixed my cabinet, primed and painted with oil-based paint. They look great on my BoP.

20220220_111745 (resized).jpg20220220_111745 (resized).jpg20220220_195523 (resized).jpg20220220_195523 (resized).jpg20220221_171925 (resized).jpg20220221_171925 (resized).jpg
    #19 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinflipper:

I really like the Radcals for TOTAN. A TOTAN cabinet I got had them on it. They look great, but we’re not lined up right, which was installed error.

#20 2 years ago

Doesn’t have to be fancy for me, DadCals will do just fine.

#21 2 years ago

I’ve often wondered this myself . Imo it hurts the value much like a hard top . They look good though . Just not for me .

#22 2 years ago

I did two BSDs with Radcals; I bought a set of decals but they were crap.

The Radcals colours looked great to me. I did a full cabinet restore first and carefully cut all holes with Forstner bits. I think they look very good.

However, there are definitely caveats to them and if I had confidence that I could get a quality set of decals I'd probably use those.

The main caveat is that the Radcals go right to the edge of the cabinet, so there can be overhang if you have any rounded corners. I didn't have the nerve to try to trim them but would like to hear good techniques to do so. You also have to be careful to not overtighten the cabinet bolts or they will warp the Radcals.

Also the original decals for BSD were not aligned properly between the sides and the front. The Radcals "correct" this by zooming the front a bit so they line up -- but then the bat icon doesn't sit centered over the start button any more. You win some, you lose some.

Personally, I think they look stunning on BSD.

bsd (resized).jpegbsd (resized).jpeg

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

How do you watch tv?

That was its holding pen while I was trying to sell it! I have my first restore; this is a second that I bought for reference while I restored the first. Then I figured I might as well fix this one up too — last seen in possession of HoneyBadger !

#25 2 years ago

The only mod that *I* would add a bit of value for is a color DMD. The rest is probably all getting ripped out after I buy the game.

#26 2 years ago

I would pass on any game that had aftermarket radcals installed. Just don’t like the Williams ones.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

I would pass on any game that had aftermarket radcals installed. Just don’t like the Williams ones.

To each their own but your statement surprises me. There are several examples of well executed radcals in this thread that far exceeds anything the factory installed. Plus the colors won’t fade like the reds and yellows did back in the day.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from jazc4:

I really like the Radcals for TOTAN. A TOTAN cabinet I got had them on it. They look great, but we’re not lined up right, which was installed error.

Did you find there was an issue with the black on your CALS?

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinflipper:

Did you find there was an issue with the black on your CALS?

The black looks fine to me. Put it this way. I never though about the black being brownish until I read this thread.

#31 2 years ago

If a pro does the job, increase value.
    If I do it, decrease value

#32 2 years ago

"Doesn’t have to be fancy for me, DadCals will do just fine. "

What are DadCals? Are those some version of Mom Jeans?

1 year later
    #33 8 months ago

I’ve installed 12 sets of rad cals and have sold about 8 games. With installed everyone that sees the seamless installation is shocked how beautiful they look. I would never install vinyl decals again it’s not worth the time and mess to sand bonds sand bonding sand bonds for vinyl to wrinkle

#34 7 months ago
    Quoted from jaime:

I’ve installed 12 sets of rad cals and have sold about 8 games. With installed everyone that sees the seamless installation is shocked how beautiful they look. I would never install vinyl decals again it’s not worth the time and mess to sand bonds sand bonding sand bonds for vinyl to wrinkle

I thought they don't make rad cals for every pinball machines

#35 7 months ago
    Quoted from jaime:

Would you say that it was worth the investment in the end? I have a Taxi with a cabinet that could use something.

#36 7 months ago

if done correctly they make the machine look great.

#37 7 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if done correctly they make the machine look great.

How do you do them incorrectly? Install appears fairly straight forward.

#38 7 months ago

They are plastic. And it’s looks like plastic when installed. I prefer nice decals or direct print/stencils with clear.

#39 7 months ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

How do you do them incorrectly? Install appears fairly straight forward.

shitty cuts, out of line, bolts under radcals, old graphics showing through. etc. etc. ive seen many of horrible jobs.

#40 7 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

shitty cuts, out of line, bolts under radcals, old graphics showing through. etc. etc. ive seen many of horrible jobs.

Bolts under them? Haha. Wow.

#41 7 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Bolts under them? Haha. Wow.

yeah you haven't seen any of that???? it was quite common when they first came out. lol

#42 7 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yeah you haven't seen any of that???? it was quite common when they first came out. lol

No. But that’s hilarious. I’m sure that looked horrible.

#43 7 months ago

I’d try to steer clear of Mirco altogether. If you have to buy a playfield send it to be recleared or regret it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.