Do pinballs consume power wile turned off?

By mickthepin

1 year ago

Stats

• 31 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Circus_Animal
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2264 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2263 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2261 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2260 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Hey guys I just got this question and I thought there's probably someone here on pinside that could answer this in a second.
    Do pins consume power wile turned off but still plugged in?
    Thanks

#2 1 year ago

No. Assuming nothing plugged into the service outlet.

LTG : )

1 week later
    #3 1 year ago

Thanks LTG straight answer from a straight shooter

#4 1 year ago

Yep, it's called phantom energy. Most appliances do this.

#5 1 year ago

leakage in the emi filter could in theory register on the meter. its micro amps though

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from SkillShot:

Yep, it's called phantom energy. Most appliances do this.

Sarcasm, right?....pinball machines use dpst switches for power, which in essence is a physical disconnect from power...both hot and neutral disconnected

Unless, as Lloyd pointed out, you leave something plugged into the service plug ( like a soldering iron...so I've heard)

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Sarcasm, right?....pinball machines use dpst switches for power, which in essence is a physical disconnect from power...
    Unless, as Lloyd pointed out, you leave something plugged into the service plug ( like a soldering iron...so I've heard)

old ones use single pole, old filters leak a bit...

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

old ones use single pole, old filters leak a bit...

Ahh....I learned something new, and stand corrected....retract my previous statement in reference to machines you state.

#9 1 year ago

Pictures 1-2 game plugged in .1 amp
    Pic 3 not plugged in 0.0 amp
    Pic 4 game on and playing 1.0 amp
    pic 5 game playing 115 watts
    Not pictured is at .9 amps game on but not playing

All on a Stern's Iron Man

IMG_2261 (resized).JPGIMG_2261 (resized).JPG

IMG_2260 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2263 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2264 (resized).JPG

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ahh....I learned something new, and stand corrected....retract my previous statement in reference to machines you state.

we all learn stuff every day, thats half the fun...
    i should add "in theory" to the 'old filters' thing.. i have not personally measured it but they do have a leakage rating so it seems possible.. it will be trivial like 2mA for example.. best way will be just measure it

you might like this mick http://www.jaycar.com.au/mains-power-meter/p/MS6115

#11 1 year ago

The AMWat thing is only accurate above 1Amp .. this will be mA or even uA

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

we all learn stuff every day, thats half the fun

Agreed....just another reason this hobby is so interesting to me.....

#13 1 year ago

Wonder if i can add that small amount of mA to the hamster wheel production? Might even be able to fire up another machine with that, out here in the boonies

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

Pic 4 game on but not playing 1.0 amp
    pic 5 game playing 11.5 amp
    All in amp readings.

11.5 amps when playing cant be right. The ul listing is 8 amps MAX draw on the back isnt it? I run 3 or 4 games on a single 15 amp breaker all being played at an average of 3 amps each read with a clamp on meter, including sterns, without popping the breaker.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

Pic 4 game on but not playing 1.0 amp
    pic 5 game playing 11.5 amp
    All in amp readings.

You may be looking at watts. No pinball machine uses 11.5 amps. Generally 2 - 3 amps.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

You may be looking at watts. No pinball machine uses 11.5 amps. Generally 2 - 3 amps.

Right, I was looking at wrong pic.
    Thanks
    I corrected it.

#17 1 year ago

I never leave machines plugged in anyway. I don't trust storms, nor do I trust switches with hundreds of thousands of cycles to keep them off. Better to be safe than sorry. I either use a main power strip from a trusted manufacturer (like TRIPP), or I use remote outlets.

#18 1 year ago

Yo

#19 1 year ago

Put em all on a gfi breaker and no worries

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I never leave machines plugged in anyway. I don't trust storms, nor do I trust switches with hundreds of thousands of cycles to keep them off. Better to be safe than sorry. I either use a main power strip from a trusted manufacturer (like TRIPP), or I use remote outlets.

Do remote outlets offer protection from a storm? Are you talking about something like this?

amazon.com link »

#21 1 year ago

Help me out here. If a circuit is open, how can it use power? If you switch off a power strip or a light switch how can energy be consumed. No, power cannot be consumed when a game is switched off. Pinball machines do not have phantom energy issues because they have a hard switch that physically opens the circuit.

#22 1 year ago

Does a Stern power switch not disconnect the transformer primary like traditional games before it? Why would there still be a current draw?

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Do remote outlets offer protection from a storm? Are you talking about something like this?

No.

LTG : )

#24 1 year ago

Yes, unless you have non-volatile RAM most solid-state machines use power from a battery to preserve memory state.

#25 1 year ago

The pinball machines pre 1998 in canada do as they had a second transformer installed before they could be imported into ontario canada and it was hooked up before the on off switch. It was a big cash grab from the hydro company.

#26 1 year ago

Some added safety information.
    There was no specification on WHICH TYPE of pinball machines.
    I am not referring to battery voltage for memory.
    We are not talking about residual voltage on modern machines either.

EMs and wood rails 100% do.
    Measure the voltage in the cabinet.
    I only say this because it is not marginal, but dangerous.
    Really dangerous.
    Even with the installation of a home use single or double toggle throw pole switch.
    This includes Bally and Williams EMs games that have a faulty power circuit using the left flipper button to turn the game "on".
    That is why owners need to unplug games before full servicing on these types based on their age, if you are working on certain parts of the game, and do not need to do "hot testing".
    There are many reasons of these occurrences.

If these games have grounding faults, they CAN kill.

Foreign game manufacturers such as Zaccaria, Inder, and Bell need to be watched as well due to the ways they are powered, especially if they were reimported at not properly converted for use in other countries, using $#%@ed up connectors or bypass methods. Operators and homeowners have been known to do some strange things like adding voltage convertors, which are active all the time, resulting in power energizing inside the machines with things like lockout coils, because this is active as soon as power is applied.

This applies to ANY game that uses a lockout coil on the coin door like Early SS Bally, Williams, and GTB games as well.

Keep in mind ALL games also retain voltages after being turned off.
    They do not automatically discharge.
    You will get shocked, and if you touch the wrong place you can get seriously hurt.
    If a person wants to test the theory put your hand in the high voltage section or short circuit a capacitor (not recommended).
    People make simple errors that if they are lucky only damage their machine.

#27 1 year ago

I reached in the front door of my Power Play for some surprise concert tickets I had for my wife & got a big shock while the game was off. There was power somewhere.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

I reached in the front door of my Power Play for some surprise concert tickets I had for my wife & got a big shock while the game was off. There was power somewhere.

There is power in there but it's not flowing. When you touched it you created a path to ground causing it to flow through you.

#29 1 year ago

Right..

#30 1 year ago

Well so much for straight answer 1 and done.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

EMs and wood rails 100% do.
    Measure the voltage in the cabinet.
    I only say this because it is not marginal, but dangerous.

Wish I'd read this before I tried to work on my Triple Strike with power off but still plugged in.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 27.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 889.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 299.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,089.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 189.99
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 19.95

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 425 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside