(Topic ID: 175712)

Do others dig finding a machine for there buddy?

By Milltown

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Milltown
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20161210_190456 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Is it just me or do others enjoy scoring a game for a buddy almost as much as scoring one for yourself?
I foud checked out and helped a buddy score a jokerz yesterday and was just as stoked as if it was mine ..
I'm pretty much out of room until I sell or trade but don't realy wanna part with any of mine..

IMG_20161210_190456 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

It all depends on what's out their...no they're

#4 2 years ago

Tried it once, someone I knew wanted a nice Shadow, I knew someone with a very nice one for sale

End of story, sale could not be made but somehow it was my fault

#5 2 years ago

I've done this many times for non collectors. More often than not, they get cold feet when it's time to go get it and pay the money.
It's much better to sell them a game you're ready to move.
Also, you will be their repair guy for the foreseeable future, so make sure that game is bulletproof.

#6 2 years ago

True true

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I've done this many times for non collectors. More often than not, they get cold feet when it's time to go get it and pay the money.

This has been my experience as well. I've had people tell me "help me find game XXX" and when I find it they can't seem to pull the trigger. The first couple of times I actually bought the game and then got stuck with it. That doesn't happen anymore

Dave

#8 2 years ago

I found my out-of-state buddy a Firepower for his first game. I've been trying to get him to get a pin for a couple years, and FP being the game we pumped tons of quarters into in the 80's helped a lot. Now he's shopping it, got his first PBL order, and we spend a lot more time on the phone talking about pinball. Time will tell if he gets a second to keep it company, but I sure hope so.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I found my out-of-state buddy a Firepower for his first game. I've been trying to get him to get a pin for a couple years, and FP being the game we pumped tons of quarters into in the 80's helped a lot. Now he's shopping it, got his first PBL order, and we spend a lot more time on the phone talking about pinball. Time will tell if he gets a second to keep it company, but I sure hope so.

Nice man.
And he will get another.. got my pal to pull the trigger on one about 3 weeks ago.. just got his second yesterday. And its cool his wife and two young kids are diggin it..
He insists that's it and I just laugh .. because that's what i said..
Now I'm hunting for more room..
Like rabbits I tell ya . Rabbits..
But it filled my need to buy another just getting his for him.. lol

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

And I just finished a firepower .. love that game.

#11 2 years ago

Some collectors have provided sourcing of games for well over 30 years.
It allows us to pretty much find anything.
This includes rare titles, and support with evaluation, shipping, and pickup.

#12 2 years ago

Yes! I've had good experiences with finding a machine for 3 different friends. The first one was for a friend who had played my machines at a party I had. He related to me that the rathskeller he had worked at part-time while in college had a certain Gottlieb EM wedgehead that the employees used to play for hours after closing time and asked if I could find one for his rec room (he already had a pool and a foosball table, so it was a no brainer). Took me about 8-9 months to find one in satisfactory condition within a few hundred miles, but I found one (well, not exactly... he went to college in NY state and I found the replay counterpart, but that was fine with him). I touched up some spots on the PF and went through the circuits and delivered it, to my friend's delight. It gets used more than the other two tables.

Good feeling to reconnect people with the care free days of their youth!

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Yes! I've had good experiences with finding a machine for 3 different friends. The first one was for a friend who had played my machines at a party I had. He related to me that the rathskeller he had worked at part-time while in college had a certain Gottlieb EM wedgehead that the employees used to play for hours after closing time and asked if I could find one for his rec room (he already had a pool and a foosball table, so it was a no brainer). Took me about 8-9 months to find one in satisfactory condition within a few hundred miles, but I found one (well, not exactly... he went to college in NY state and I found the replay counterpart, but that was fine with him). I touched up some spots on the PF and went through the circuits and delivered it, to my friend's delight. It gets used more than the other two tables.
Good feeling to reconnect people with the care free days of their youth!

Very cool

#14 2 years ago

A good eight times over the years I've had various people contact me asking if I can find them a pinball machine.

Eight times, over the years, I've said sure.

Eight times, over the years, I've done the legwork to find them one.

Eight times, over the years, no machine was purchased.

Never again.

#15 2 years ago

I'll be happy to pass along info if someone expressed interest in a title, but won't go so far to buy a game for someone on the chance that I'll get stuck with it.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

A good eight times over the years I've had various people contact me asking if I can find them a pinball machine.
Eight times, over the years, I've said sure.
Eight times, over the years, I've done the legwork to find them one.
Eight times, over the years, no machine was purchased.
Never again.

Bryan,
I'm looking for a Fishtales with a screened and clear coated cabinet. When you find one let me know, I'll decide if I want to buy it at that point.

Thanks,
Jason

#17 2 years ago

It's not something I make a habit of, but yes, a friend was looking for his first game and I just "bought" him a Buck Rogers, which I picked up alongisde a game I was buying for myself. He's good enough friends that I fronted the cash, which he paid me back. The game (like almost all you buy that are "fully working") turned out to need a little work, but nothing serious - we spent about an hour on the vari-target and a couple other things and now it's 100 percent and being played on the reg in his basement.

It's cool to do but you better be good friends with person, and also be willing to help out a little bit. I wouldn't go out of my way to do this kind of thing because you just know that whenever something goes wrong with a machine it is now your problem. Friendships have been stressed over far less than something like this. And, never "buy" a game you aren't willing to get stuck with - if the Buck Rogers pass off had gone south I still would have been happy to keep the game, it was a good deal with all new boards.

#18 2 years ago

A lady where my wife works asked my wife if I could find her a specific machine for her husband. She wanted me to find her husband's favorite game of all time...TAF...and she was willing to go as high as $500. Seriously. I did get a chuckle out of that for a few minutes. Luckily it was in an email otherwise I think I would have been slapped.

I had to explain to her that they go for WAY more than that. I told her to expect to pay about $3,000 (granted this was about 5 years ago). I was able to find her one for $2800 in pretty nice shape. I bought it, she paid me and gave it to her husband.

That was the only time this has happened.

#19 2 years ago

Good when it works out.. and I don't think I would do it for just anyone.. the 2 I scored for him are cool . And when I got them up to Parr I made sure he helped out and he diggs learning..and his two kidds have taken a love to it more then video games.

#20 2 years ago

And since I love tinkering with the machines it's cool.. and he lives 5 min from me..

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

Bryan,
I'm looking for a Fishtales with a screened and clear coated cabinet. When you find one let me know, I'll decide if I want to buy it at that point.
Thanks,
Jason

Bite me, asshole!!

#22 2 years ago

I have helped a bunch of local folks buy and sell games. I used to be a realtor and keeping an eye on local collectors on what they are buying and selling keeps me connected with them and is fun to me.

A couple of things though the prices from sellers have to be fair, buyers can't be lowballers and if neither party is an a-hole I am happy to help.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Bite me, asshole!!

without the proper punctuation, I thought that may be the cost to get one...

You ole kinky dudes sure know how you like it.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I have helped a bunch of local folks buy and sell games. I used to be a realtor and keeping an eye on local collectors on what they are buying and selling keeps me connected with them and is fun to me.
A couple of things though the prices from sellers have to be fair, buyers can't be lowballers and if neither party is an a-hole I am happy to help.

I agree .. no room for gouging.. the vintage hot Rod and speed prices have gone threw the roof.. I fear this approaching on the pinns.. with home popularity growing.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I agree .. no room for gouging.. the vintage hot Rod and speed prices have gone threw the roof.. I fear this approaching on the pinns.. with home popularity growing.

Pins have gone up a little in the 4+ years I have been in pins, but not too extreme or anything. Threat of a VE and new games being produced keeps things down. The manufacturers are the ones who are really driving things up though the roof of over the past year or so. We will see if buyers take the bait on this or not.

#26 2 years ago

Yes, a work buddy wanted a pin after seeing my collection and is a big James Bond fan. I found a data east 007 on cl and he picked it up and he loves it. Clay knew I was looking for a FT and found one, a lady wanted to get it fixed but after the quote considered selling it. A call from Clay and I was on my way to pick it up. Both keepers now for my buddy and me!

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

This has been my experience as well. I've had people tell me "help me find game XXX" and when I find it they can't seem to pull the trigger. The first couple of times I actually bought the game and then got stuck with it. That doesn't happen anymore
Dave

Yup same thing here. Everyone and I do mean everyone wants a working machine with a lifetime guarantee for $500 or less and then when it comes right down to the moment of do or die they always and I mean always back out with some lame excuse. I gave up on this a long time ago, it's just not worth the effort.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#28 2 years ago

I c both sides for sure on this when hooking up a pal.... and I'm glad I like older pins.. I like to go play new ones but there are so so many killer older machines from the start to the late 80s.

#29 2 years ago

I like finding one for here, there, or anywhere, pal! (You're missing a comma!)

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I c both sides for sure on this when hooking up a pal.... and I'm glad I like older pins.. I like to go play new ones but there are so so many killer older machines from the start to the late 80s.

MUCH cheaper too.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

MUCH cheaper too.

Yup, you could probably get around 6 shopped and working 70s/80s machines for the price of a NIB game. Or, a dozen or more projects for the price of a NIB game.

There's quite a bit of entertainment value in a mix of games like that.

#32 2 years ago

Continued pinflation will drive more new owners with limited funding options to learn to repair used machines and potentially increase the need for reproduction parts and the desire to find older titles as relevant to this thread.

This is a historical repeated cycle, but never a bad thing for the hobby. The same owners compete against dealers/brokers.
The more people restore, the more games are saved, rather than being parted out or destroyed, as they are recognized as having some value, but not necessarily "gold" especially when they cannot fix what they have. The short term however, games are cannabilized for the same reasons.

In the long term, pinball game manufacturers will continue to push potential owners further away from buying new machines until industry stagnation. This is not a new revelation. At this point, this really needs to happen to get people to recognize realities, and manufacturers step on themselves. This remains what some people call a market bubble, which it is not, but a stall. Game distributors do not survive long term unless they are diversified both in coin operated devices beyond pinball and include used games. They simply shutter their doors. This is why only several dozen long time dealers remain who started in the period of the early 1980s.

Learn from collectors those that are willing to teach, as they will not be around forever. Many dealers don't consider "older games" useful for profit, don't understand or know how to fix them, or say they "cannot find parts". I heard all these comments the first time in 1988, regarding titles made before 1977. Many older games can be saved with minimal-moderate physical work without performing full restorations.

#33 2 years ago

I have found a few for my pinball nerd buddies over the years -
- A nice low play HUO AC/DC LE @ $5800, a project EBD for $800 (I should have bought that one for myself!), & a couple of project EM's. It's more fun to find them for someone who is serious & usually you end up helping to fix problems - but I really like the repair side so that's not a big deal to me.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Continued pinflation will drive more new owners with limited funding options to learn to repair used machines and potentially increase the need for reproduction parts and the desire to find older titles as relevant to this thread.
This is a historical repeated cycle, but never a bad thing for the hobby. The same owners compete against dealers/brokers.
The more people restore, the more games are saved, rather than being parted out or destroyed, as they are recognized as having some value, but not necessarily "gold" especially when they cannot fix what they have. The short term however, games are cannabilized for the same reasons.
In the long term, pinball game manufacturers will continue to push potential owners further away from buying new machines until industry stagnation. This is not a new revelation. At this point, this really needs to happen to get people to recognize realities, and manufacturers step on themselves. This remains what some people call a market bubble, which it is not, but a stall. Game distributors do not survive long term unless they are diversified both in coin operated devices beyond pinball and include used games. They simply shutter their doors. This is why only several dozen long time dealers remain who started in the period of the early 1980s.
Learn from collectors those that are willing to teach, as they will not be around forever. Many dealers don't consider "older games" useful for profit, don't understand or know how to fix them, or say they "cannot find parts". I heard all these comments the first time in 1988, regarding titles made before 1977. Many older games can be saved with minimal-moderate physical work without performing full restorations.

Wow.. well said and true...

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I have found a few for my pinball nerd buddies over the years -
- A nice low play HUO AC/DC LE @ $5800, a project EBD for $800 (I should have bought that one for myself!), & a couple of project EM's. It's more fun to find them for someone who is serious & usually you end up helping to fix problems - but I really like the repair side so that's not a big deal to me.

I am with ya on repair.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Solon, OH
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside