Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by sataneatscheese
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

OcverfusedB (resized).JPG
OverfusedA (resized).JPG
20190906_063818 (resized).jpg
17d09673b1efc329d6347b1b761de60cc5f55481.png (resized).png
20190830_165114 (resized).jpg
20190831_082030 (resized).jpg
20190902_195046 (resized).jpg
20190902_195100-99 (resized).jpg

#1 13 days ago

Yep, I did something stupid and it was an absolute pain to fix. When you replace a fuse, double and triple check the fuse size to make sure you are putting in the correct fuse. Double check the manual.

Over the past few weeks I've been upgrading my White Water with LEDs, different mountains, and different ramps. I shorted out something in the machine and blew a fuse going to the CPU board. No problem, I've got one right here! Put the new fuse in, it blew again. Spent 4 hours finding the short and put another fuse in. The fuse didn't blow, but I had some strange problems, the triple pings of trouble, and about 8 hour codes. I finally realized I put in the wrong fuse (a 1 Amp instead of 750 mAmp), corrected the issue, and put in about 12 hours checking every damned wire in the machine for shorts. In my desperate low-tech troubleshooting I unpugged each connector 1 at a time even remotely associated with my errors, and found that 1 connector on the CPU board had issues. Eventually through some help here on pinside via the Whitewater Thread thanks "urbanledge and yaksplat"! I figured out a switch matrix IC chip was burnt out (shown in red in the picture). This was only about $5 in parts, but my heart stopped and I spent about 16 hours figuring everything out. I 100% did this to myself. I am lucky it didn't do any worse damage.

On the upside I have a fully working machine now!

20190902_195046 (resized).jpg20190902_195100-99 (resized).jpg20190906_063818 (resized).jpg
#2 13 days ago

What was the initial cause of the issue? Just the ULN chip blowing out?

The worst thing about fuses sometimes is that even when you do put the correct size fuse in there.... it's not low enough to blow when some coils lock on. The magic melting smell notifies you of that though.

#3 13 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

What was the initial cause of the issue? Just the ULN chip blowing out?
The worst thing about fuses sometimes is that even when you do put the correct size fuse in there.... it's not low enough to blow when some coils lock on. The magic melting smell notifies you of that though.

In the process of shopping out I bent this transistor against the bracket causing a short and this message. I then replaced the fuse with the wrong one, blew it out, then found and corrected the short.

20190830_165114 (resized).jpg20190831_082030 (resized).jpg
#4 13 days ago

Based on the pics of the mpu, it looks like a recent TNT Amusements acquisition. What would you have needed to shop out if you got it from them? Or did you do one of the as is sales? I love those nifty battery boards they sell.

#5 13 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Based on the pics of the mpu, it looks like a recent TNT Amusements acquisition. What would you have needed to shop out if you got it from them? Or did you do one of the as is sales? I love those nifty battery boards they sell.

As is bargain basement. I put in Leds, changed ramps, mountains, rubbers, a few other things. I would like to add that none of the issues I had were in any way related to anything TNT did or didnt do.

17d09673b1efc329d6347b1b761de60cc5f55481.png (resized).png
#6 13 days ago

That's a diode....not a transistor....

#7 13 days ago

This is funny as I learned this same lesson the hard way with my Bram Stokers Dracula. Except I not only blew the same chip, but also melted the socket straight to the board. I was down two months and went to Chris Hibler and he found the issue within five minutes. Soldered a new socket on and everything was good.

Lesson Learned on the amperage.

#8 13 days ago

Glad you sorted it out all out. Crap happens. Live and learn.

LTG : )

#9 13 days ago

Good note about double checking fuses...But, I'd be very surprised that the difference between a 1a and 750 ma fuse caused any issues. Bussman fuse ratings have a tolerwnce error of 10%. So a 750 ma fuse might not blow until 825 ma, and a 1a fuse could blow at 900ma. A difference of 75ma.

Now it definitely could be an issue if it called for a 750ma fast blow fuse and you put a 1a slo blo fuse in there, as low current electronics typically use fast blow, and inductive loads use slo blow.

#10 9 days ago

You will notice we already put the switch chip in a socket, with EVERY WPC game we sell...to make it easy for new owner to change the chip in seconds! Our trademark for 20 years now!

#11 9 days ago

I found this on the Lucky Ace project that was given to me recently. I am guessing this burnt coil and "custom" fuse mod may be related?

OcverfusedB (resized).JPGOverfusedA (resized).JPG
#12 9 days ago
Quoted from toddtuckey:

You will notice we already put the switch chip in a socket, with EVERY WPC game we sell...to make it easy for new owner to change the chip in seconds! Our trademark for 20 years now!

That was much appreciated and made fixing my over-fusing error much easier. Once I finally diagnosed the issue (with pinside's help) I ended up dropping 4$ on fuses at Home Depot and $2 on a new replacement chip from Marcos. I would also like to say that your "bargain basement" machine cleaned up quite nicely in the end. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
$ 209.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside