(Topic ID: 117470)

Do not buy from Gary Valentine in NJ! Warning!

By PinballCompany

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RampShot11
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-559.jpg
    Actual Machine.jpeg
    Picture Sent to me.JPG
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I realize this isn't the first post about this dude on the forum, and I should have trusted my gut as I've always known he is shady, but he got me too. I have bought pins from him in the past and never had any big issues (other than exaggerations of game quality, and him being very pushy). However, after awhile, these things started to really bother me and I decided I wouldn't buy from him again. Years went by and he would contact me trying to sell pins (being very pushy) and I always declined. Then just a few weeks ago he had a machine I needed (TSPP) and it was the right price for me so I reluctantly did the deal. I wired him the money ($4300 for a nice shopped, clean TSPP that he sent pictures of). I told him I would send in NAVL and he gave me his pick up address in NJ. A week went by and he "got called out of town because his mother was sick" and he explained that he needed to arrange the shipping himself for some reason that made no sense and I should wire him another $400 to cover NAVL costs. I told him that this sounded very odd, but that I would send him the money AFTER the machine picked up and I had a tracking number. He reluctantly agreed (he seriously wanted me to wire him another $400 after he'd already had $4300 of mine for a week).

After getting very suspicious, I called NAVL myself and discovered the machine was actually picking up out of California. Hmmmm... Did Gary forget where he placed his machine? OK, fine. He bought it from some random dude and was going to try to not let me see where it came from (as if I was born yesterday). As long as it was the same machine I got pictures of, I would be OK with it and and never do business with him again. Then I got the machine. TOTALLY different machine. The pictures he sent had NO wear around the start button and the machine I got the paint is all rubbed off in a huge area. This was just one of the many things I found, but clearly it was a different machine. I contacted Gary telling him what a piece of S@%*t I have always thought he was and he apologized explaining that "he sold this TSPP to this CA guy a few months ago and he was going to find out what was going on." Oh and somewhere during all of this BS his mom actually passed away!!!!! I am pretty certain that is also false. I told Gary that I didn't care what he was going to work out with this guy - I either wanted to return the machine and get my money back or he owed me some money back for selling me a heavily routed machine that I could have bought at a fraction of the price. That was two days ago and I have not heard anything since.

Just wanted to share my thoughts and terrible experience with this guy. Luckily this is business for me, so I will be able to clean the machine up and not come out at a huge loss. But to anyone else, STAY AWAY! He absolutely cannot be trusted and everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.

Sigh...

#2 9 years ago

How hard is it to find a TSPP?!

Not so hard that you should have dealt with this guy who is a known clown. There's gonna be lots of people piling on you for this one. Sorry it happened but I can't fathom why you allowed yourself to get taken like this. There's tons of TSPPs around.

Thanks for letting us know though this should help others in the future.

#3 9 years ago

I have never had a hard time finding a TSPP until a few weeks ago. I had a customer wanting one and I looked and looked and at that moment just couldn't find one. I agree that I was dumb for dealing with him, but he had a track record of not screwing with me, so I took a chance. My point was to just remind people of his shenanigans. I love to play blame the victim, so blame me all you want - just giving people a heads up - again.

#4 9 years ago

He has a long history of scumbaggery. Should be lots of good stuff on RGP about him.

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, I already found old posts about him... Needless to say I will never do business with him again. Starting..... now.

#6 9 years ago

It's probably best to sell machines out of your own inventory and not to drop ship anyway. I have never purchased a pin that was as advertised. never.

#7 9 years ago

We typically do not drop ship. The majority of the machines come right through our shop, and I agree that most of the pins we buy are not 100% as advertised. We end up going through them from top to bottom anyway, so I don't ever give the seller trouble. It's just part of the nature of the biz - factor in a bad board here and a motor there that "should" have worked. This case was just extreme.

#8 9 years ago

In no way should people be pilling on him for purchasing the machine. Yea the guy is a known scammer but he has worked with him in the past and it all worked out. I see no reason why anyone should get on the OPs case when all he did was purchase a game. If you need a nice TSPP, I have a few available that I wasn't planning on selling. The offer is to the OP only though.

#9 9 years ago

He's from NJ.....Cmon man!

Look up another goof Barry from NJ....he sells similar crap!

If you can't see it in person then don't buy it!

#11 9 years ago

Gotta see it in person, gotta play it in person. This is the first commandment of pin buying.

#12 9 years ago

The OP is actually a female... I don't want anyone to think this is my husband posting. PM me about your Simpsons if you want.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Gotta see it in person, gotta play it in person. This is the first commandment of pin buying.

Really?

Most experienced pin buyers have had games shipped before. If I had to "see it in person" id have missed out on some good games.

#14 9 years ago

Hope this all works out for the OP GL. Anyway you can post pics of what he claimed and what you received? Just want to see them.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Nah, I get more games shipped than in person. Works out just fine 9 out of 10 times.

#16 9 years ago

Yes that whole see it and play it before you buy it is not realistic for everyone.

#17 9 years ago

Here are two quick ones I have that I used to show the seller one obvious difference...Picture Sent to me.JPGPicture Sent to me.JPGActual Machine.jpegActual Machine.jpeg

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

He's from NJ.....Cmon man!
    Look up another goof Barry from NJ....he sells similar crap!
    If you can't see it in person then don't buy it!

Um...we're not ALL douchebags in NJ. I'm an honest seller and buyer and the last thing I would ever think to do is screw somebody.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Um...we're not ALL douchebags in NJ. I'm an honest seller and buyer and the last thing I would ever think to do is screw somebody.

Sorry didn't want to make it seem like everyone in the state is a dirtball but for those of us on the East Coast in the know.....most of the dirtball sellers are in the NYC, NJ area. Pinsiders here are usually cool......regardless of state their in. It's the vendors and guys who've been doing vending routes for 30+ years who try to screw collectors like us is what I meant. They are complete scum! They tout their machines as "MINT" and when ya get there to check it out it looks anything but "MINT". Then when ya question it they freak out and pull a Jerry Springer on ya!

#20 9 years ago

He bought a Funhouse from me years ago..... made up excuses not to prepay and not to pick it up. We met in RI (was supposed to get it in NH) and he made up excuses to not have the cash when he arrived (2 weeks he had to get it)...wanted to Paypal. I told him no unless he covered the Paypal fees. Made a stink but told him take it or leave it. He paid, we loaded up FH and off he went. Next week, he had it for sale with photoshopped pictures. Was clearly mine as some of the playfield wear was still there, but the major stuff was all taken out...game looked 100X better than I had advertised it as. Someone got scammed. Year later he wanted to buy an Addams from me but I didn't want to sell it to him.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

It's probably best to sell machines out of your own inventory and not to drop ship anyway. I have never purchased a pin that was as advertised. never.

It is always a risk but I am actually someone that The Pinball Company purchased a game from (Monopoly) and had it dropped shipped to their end customer. Brooke and Nic were great to deal with and I am assuming that there were no issues with my machine as their customer nor Brooke/Nic had any complaints. I also purchased a POTC from a guy in Boston sight unseen and once again I had no issues with the transaction and the machine was actually better than advertised.

Ironically for me, I have had better luck in buying machines sight unseen then I have had in traveling to pick a machine up directly from someone!

#22 9 years ago

What a scumbag.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Sorry didn't want to make it seem like everyone in the state is a dirtball but for those of us on the East Coast in the know.....most of the dirtball sellers are in the NYC, NJ area. Pinsiders here are usually cool......regardless of state their in. It's the vendors and guys who've been doing vending routes for 30+ years who try to screw collectors like us is what I meant. They are complete scum! They tout their machines as "MINT" and when ya get there to check it out it looks anything but "MINT". Then when ya question it they freak out and pull a Jerry Springer on ya!

this really isn't necessary... nor is it true...

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

It is always a risk but I am actually someone that The Pinball Company purchased a game from (Monopoly) and had it dropped shipped to their end customer. Brooke and Nic were great to deal with and I am assuming that there were no issues with my machine as their customer nor Brooke/Nic had any complaints.

Same here. World Cup Soccer. Easiest sale I have ever had.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

What a scumbag.

Agreed. No good comes from having folk like him in the community, but at least we can warn others away from him and other D-bag scum.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

It is always a risk but I am actually someone that The Pinball Company purchased a game from (Monopoly) and had it dropped shipped to their end customer. Brooke and Nic were great to deal with and I am assuming that there were no issues with my machine as their customer nor Brooke/Nic had any complaints. I also purchased a POTC from a guy in Boston sight unseen and once again I had no issues with the transaction and the machine was actually better than advertised.
    Ironically for me, I have had better luck in buying machines sight unseen then I have had in traveling to pick a machine up directly from someone!

as a seller, I'm sure it goes very well.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCompany:

Here are two quick ones I have that I used to show the seller one obvious difference...

Picture Sent to me.JPG 179 KB

Actual Machine.jpeg 10 KB

clear shipping problem...you know how those shipping guys always play about a thousand games missing the start button with their sandpaper hands. What a total dick. Why lie with shit like this it never works out to lie about a game when it's cosmetics. Hope you get your money back.

#28 9 years ago

Brooke and Nic at The Pinball Company are straight shooters, I'd not hesitate to buy from them anytime.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's your duty to restore the good New Jersey name by burning Gary Valentine's house down.

#30 9 years ago

Anyone know Diane Sauer from shootagainpinball.com in New Jersey?

#31 9 years ago

Speaking of NJBarry. Has anyone else seen his pinball resurrection center? Just two kids painting, swapping, tweaking and photo shopping.
    What do they say about sausage making and politics? Add his shop to that quotation...

#32 9 years ago

Oy....don't bash all of us NJ folk

#33 9 years ago

I had a terrible experience a few years ago with this guy. He sold me a "MINT" WH20, when it arrived in Seattle it was a complete dumpster fire of worn out garbage and cobbled together parts from other machines (system 11 even). I eventually got my money back via PayPal dispute.

Buyer beware.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Oy....don't bash all of us NJ folk

indeed some like gecko are kool and i know few others. But that sucks dude if you can try to fight it. I know i would try

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Nah, I get more games shipped than in person. Works out just fine 9 out of 10 times.

Why take the risk for that 1 time out of 10 when you could make it 0 out of 10?

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Anyone know Diane Sauer from shootagainpinball.com in New Jersey?

Oh God...she's from NEW JERSEY!!!!!!

Don't do the deal man. Don't do it!!!

Naw...Diane has been around forever and is a good dealer. This Jersey hate is stupid I've done a million deals with NJers and they've been fine.

#38 9 years ago

He wasn't talking about you and me, Ted. We wear Hawaiian shirts and belong on an island somewhere. We're not true New Jerseyans.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh God...she's from NEW JERSEY!!!!!!
    Don't do the deal man. Don't do it!!!
    Naw...Diane has been around forever and is a good dealer. This Jersey hate is stupid I've done a million deals with NJers and they've been fine.

and he's from NY! even worse!

#40 9 years ago

Wow... a lot of NJ hate going around.

#41 9 years ago

Valentine is a total POS. I got two machines from him (same time, combo deal) and he totally misrepresented the condition of both machines, used pictures of other machines to hide the true condition of the machines I received. They were total routed out pieces of crap with terrible wear, broken ramps, screwed cabinets. Shipping was included in the deal. He was three weeks late shipping them, and then sent them COD! When I refused the shipment, he finally did pay the shipping. When I called him out on lying about their condition after we unpacked them, he said he would refund some of my money...right, never happened. This guy is a total rip-off artist. He is " Valentine painting" so we know where he is. What goes around, comes around, and he will gets his due.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

False. Plenty of high integrity people selling pinball machines remotely. If I believed in your first commandment, my collection would be a lot smaller. The first commandment is don't deal with known scammers...particularly those you know about!

#44 9 years ago

I think the difference here is that when you (a pinball collector) purchase a game sight unseen (which I do a lot as well) expect to have things to work on when it arrives. But a customer getting one should expect it to work perfectly without quality issues. Obviously, pinball machines do not travel well so those things always need to be worked out. you guys know this

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

False. Plenty of high integrity people selling pinball machines remotely. If I believed in your first commandment, my collection would be a lot smaller. The first commandment is don't deal with known scammers...particularly those you know about!

I don't think that's the First Commandment at all, because it doesn't address unknown scammers.

Best plan is always deal with known respected individuals.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

I don't think that's the First Commandment at all, because it doesn't address unknown scammers.
    Best plan is always deal with known respected individuals.

Sure, however finding the respected individuals is obviously subjective. I've personally had great luck...even when a machine was slightly misrepresented, sellers have been easy to work with on fixing the issue (or compensating me for the misrepresentation). Let's face it, "The Pinball Company" does this for a living, so it's clear they were impatient (and decided to lower their standards for who to deal with).

Maybe a better First Commandment is to be patient, or else you are likely make potentially costly mistakes.

#47 9 years ago

Gary?!?...Gary?!?Gary where u?!?

image-559.jpgimage-559.jpg
    #48 9 years ago

he has been at it for years and he will continue to pull the same BS on folks for as long as he can. only thing we can do is educate people about him. he sold me a turd. went to pick it up. was already wrapped and outside in the cold. the jerk didn't even help me load it. counted $, put in his pocket, and went inside. got home and the game was a turd. my fault but the first thing i did was go on rgp and warn people. i have warned people here too. just wish there was a way to give folks outside this pinball community we have here and on rgp a heads up. i honestly hope he never makes another penny on selling pins.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from RampShot11:

Gary?!?...Gary?!?Gary where u?!?

image-559.jpg 26 KB

Ba ba booey!!

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

went to pick it up. was already wrapped and outside in the cold.

So you have his home address?

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-not-buy-from-gary-valentine-in-nj-warning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.