(Topic ID: 210649)

Do most System 11 Machines have TERRIBLE solder jobs?!

By harrisrwe

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I just picked up a Jokerz table from a fellow Pinsider for a decent enough price. The thing works fine apart from a few hiccups here and there (I'll eventually make a dedicated "maintenance" post about those), but I haven't had the chance to really dive into the machine yet.

What I have done is opened the machine to look around a bit (under the playfield, in the backbox, etc.) and holy crap. Looking at some of these solder connections I honestly can't believe the thing is still working! Sloppy, thrown together, dirty connections.

Is this just how things were done back in the late 80s? I'm honestly considering completely re-doing every solder connection, and adding either quick-disconnects for part replacement or shrink tubing to all connections. Any advice for or against doing this? My machine also has the infamous Jokerz Hum that I haven't pulled out the sound board to check on yet, but that's coming too.

#3 6 years ago

From your description, someone else probably went to town on the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-most-system-11-machines-have-terrible-solder-jobs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.