(Topic ID: 10046)

Do Most People Here Support PinGame Journal & Drop Target Magazines?

By spfxted

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Brilliant.jpeg
    -1.jpg
    issue147.jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

These are 2 Pinball Magazines I know of. Do we support these? Are there others?

issue147.jpgissue147.jpg

#2 12 years ago

I use to get pingame journal and the first edition of drop target but I havent in a while.

#3 12 years ago

Subscribe to PGJ now if you can! The calendar issue is the next issue shipping out, according to Jim!

#4 12 years ago

I just recently subscribed to PGJ and have a couple back issues and am loving it so far. Sure, it is a little pricey and the issues show up when completed rather than monthly, but that is to be expected from a one man show doing it out of love rather money. Great stuff. I really love the "behind the scenes" pictures of the new games at various stages of development. The newest issue with the Transformers concept stuff is really cool. I'm looking forward greatly to the new calendar. I had the one from 2 years ago with all of the designers and was able to get most of their autographs on it at Expo. Definitely something I treasure!

This is the first I have heard of Drop Target magazine though. I did a google search and an RGP search, but didn't find anything. Can you pass along any more info about it?

#5 12 years ago

I haven't seen Drop Target. Just ordered an issue...

#6 12 years ago

I buy the drop target zine(s). Love those, didnt know about PGJ! I'll look now.

#7 12 years ago

They've been around for a while. Up to Issue 147 I believe...

#9 12 years ago

Drop Target

-1.jpg-1.jpg

#10 12 years ago

I just told Alec from Drop Target to get his butt over here!

#12 12 years ago

Hmmm, I wonder where you got that pic from spfxted???
    As for the thread...
    Drop target and PGJ are great!

#13 12 years ago

Just ordered 8 issues new of PGJ. Can't wait

#14 12 years ago

For $35 this convinced me

Quoted from Cliffy:

Subscribe to PGJ now if you can! The calendar issue is the next issue shipping out, according to Jim!

#15 12 years ago

Yeah, Jim is great! I gotta get the Transformers issue...

#16 12 years ago

NimblePin I got the pic from the Drop Target website. Was it yours?

#17 12 years ago

Been a subscriber to PGJ ever since I got into the hobby a couple years ago. I'm embarrassed to admit that I never heard of Drop Target prior to this thread. I'll probably take out a subscription. I really miss Game Room Magazine.

#18 12 years ago

Yes.
    So I get photo credit if it is on their blog, right?!?
    After all it is my LOTR they are sitting on...
    (Jumps onto DTZ to check.)
    Hahaha it is! Thanks Jon, for the shout-out! The glass is still on BTW...
    See what happens when you regularly clean your machines kiddo's!
    Transparent glass!!!

#19 12 years ago

Hah! I think you should! I asked Alec if he wanted to come on here and chat. He said he was busy but thanks everyone for their support...

#20 12 years ago

Amazing there aren't more Pinball Magazines.
    I'd love to do a mag showing restorations, interviews, game rooms and Pinball Stories in general. If everyone here will help, I'll do layout and I have a friend who is a printer. You can check out my mags at www.TheDeadlySpawn.com Go to the SPFX Magazine section.

#21 12 years ago

Maybe we can call the magazine Pinside nod nod wink wink

#22 12 years ago

Maybe we can call the magazine Pinside

Brilliant.jpegBrilliant.jpeg

I would contribute for sure to the making of this mag.
    To Robin: Can we, can we, can we, can we, pretty pLeAsE?!?!?!?

#23 12 years ago

I actually had never heard of either one of these mags. Thanks for the info.

#24 12 years ago

My pleasure. Now let's make our own!

#25 12 years ago

I get both...

#26 12 years ago

I used to get Gameroom Magazine for many years too. Fantastic rag, twice the pages as any other rag at the time but it was 50/50 pins and vids with a jukebox column and usually other esoteric amusement machines. They always had a gameroom of the month too which was superb. Nice to see what others did to outfit a gameroom. Sadly Kevin had to shut it down in 2010

ALL of these mags depend on *US* to write articles and make other contributions. I wrote a few articles and how-to's as well as advertising. Alas, it wasn't enough for GR but PGJ is still kicking so if you are decent at taking pics and writing consider sending an article to Jim!

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I would contribute for sure to the making of this mag.

Quoted from Cliffy:

I used to get Gameroom Magazine for many years too. Fantastic rag, twice the pages as any other rag at the time but it was 50/50 pins and vids with a jukebox column and usually other esoteric amusement machines. They always had a gameroom of the month too which was superb. Nice to see what others did to outfit a gameroom. Sadly Kevin had to shut it down in 2010

I'm thinking Gameroom Magazine + Pingame Journal = Pinside Magazine. BTW NimblePin, I was a huge fan of those Guinness ads from a few years back.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I was a huge fan of those Guinness ads from a few years back.

As was I.
    Even more disturbing though were these from Quiznos...

"THEY GOT A PEPPER BARRR!" (<----Classic. I use it all the time at random.)

As for the thread,
    I loved the Gameroom Mags too Cliffy. Sad to have seen them go. It is nice to find a random bin of them at the Expo's for a $1 an issue.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

As was I.
    Even more disturbing though were these from Quiznos...

I remember seeing that commercial for the first time and going WTF is this. I haven't been to a Quiznos since then.

#30 12 years ago

Never seen these thanks for the post.

#31 12 years ago

I get both!!!Not sure if you can subscribe to DT,but if you keep up with their blog you will know when a new one's about to drop.Also check out Skill Shot,outta Seattle.Another fanzine keeping the local Seattle scene up to date with the comings and goings of pinball.They also have some sweet t-shirts for sale.Scott

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Maybe we can call the magazine Pinside nod nod wink wink

By all means, if you are serious about this and have concrete ideas, you can always e-mail me with details!

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

ALL of these mags depend on *US* to write articles and make other contributions. I wrote a few articles and how-to's as well as advertising. Alas, it wasn't enough for GR but PGJ is still kicking so if you are decent at taking pics and writing consider sending an article to Jim!

Hey Clippy!!
    Didn't know you were on this board!! LOL!!

And you are completely right about PGJ needing *US* to help out! Jim is a great guy, and he does the mag mainly by himself. He doesn't go by monthly issues or a set time when they come out...he goes by the issue # so if you don't get one every other month...don't get upset. He does it as he can!

I used to get Gameroom also, and loved the gameroom of the month articles. I was really sad to see Kevin have to shut down shop.

I had never heard of Drop Target magazine... cool that there is another pin mag out there!

Phoebe

#34 12 years ago

I subscribe to PGJ but had never heard of Drop Target. Will have to check it out...

#35 12 years ago

I seem to get all the Pinball news, restoration tips and info online far quicker than a printed publication can hope to match. Shame, but those are the times we live in, and if I buy a magazine it means I can't use that money for new parts.

One of my arcade machines was showcased in GameRoom a few years ago - the infamous Taitan machine, to this day the only complete example known, it's currently touring the world as part of the Game On exhibition - I sold it to the gallery. On reflection, I wish that I'd kept it.

#36 12 years ago

Hi Robin.
    Yes, I'm serious. If we all get together, I'll be glad to do layout. You guys go to all the shows so we can get pix and interviews. We'll get news from Stern and Jersey Jack is about 40 minutes from me. I'll try to get some costs for a 48 pg mag. 8 pages of color to start. All glossy. 81/2x11.
    PINSIDE MAGAZINE ....it sounds good!

#37 12 years ago

spftxed - We could also incorporate the forum as well. Like my GRM mag (grass roots motorsports) they have funny quotes from the forums, Q&A from forum, tips from the members etc. So we could really get a lot of content from the wealth of knowledge we have here...well and funniness. You may also maybe get ads from supporting vendors?

Grass roots pinball mag = pinside sounds like a great idea, as long as we can keep content up.

#38 12 years ago

Well, we would probably only publish every 6 months...unless it turns out to be a runaway success...

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Hey Clippy!!

Since '04, Blondie! Welcome to the Pinside, Phoebe. Folks, let me introduce you to a wonderful restoration artist, lover of both Larry and pinball and dear friend to many of us already here. Blondie!

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I seem to get all the Pinball news, restoration tips and info online far quicker than a printed publication can hope to match. Shame, but those are the times we live in, and if I buy a magazine it means I can't use that money for new parts.

I'm afraid I kind of have to agree with this. Although, a glossy Pinside magazine does sound cool! Maybe we should not do shows and news (after all PGJ and PinballNews already do a solid job at that) but rather focus on what Pinside is about: people collecint pins, gamerooms, restoration etc. Maybe we could do a one time magazine featuring Pinsiders and their gamerooms. You know, where act page is a photo of that Pinsider in his gameroom plus some inset pics and a short text with some quotes or cool things about that Pinsider. "Meet the Pinsiders"!

I would also like to extend another invitation t anyone who likes to write: I really would love to have more content, stories, reviews, columns, mods, etc on the Pinside homepage. So contact me if you want to write for the Pinside!

#41 12 years ago

I like the idea of a magazine 8 1/2 x 11 full size pages,I enjoy taking something in to read when I go out to breakfast or to have at work on my breaks.

Quoted from Cliffy:

Blondie! Welcome to the Pinside

Welcome,Phoebe

#42 12 years ago

Any of you guys joined up The PinballNinja.com Site?The PinballNinja updates info on Pins on a daily basis.It's an Excellent site and Really worth all the Great reading!So much info there you can't
    miss out!Join up! at www.pinrepair.com scroll down to Pinball Online Webzine.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Butterflygirl24 said:Hey Clippy!!
    Since '04, Blondie! Welcome to the Pinside, Phoebe. Folks, let me introduce you to a wonderful restoration artist, lover of both Larry and pinball and dear friend to many of us already here. Blondie!

Welcome,Phoebe

Thanks guys!!
    I have been lurking for a bit, but just started posting!!

Phoebe

#44 12 years ago

wasn't even aware of them to be honest. Knew about gameroom, but not around anymore like you guys said.

-Hans

#45 12 years ago

I have dome some writing and some comic drawing in the past. Let me know if I can help.

#46 12 years ago

Yeah, Robin. That idea is fine as well. A nice mag featuring members and their Gamerooms, Pins, Restorations and cool stories....Vol 1...

#47 12 years ago

Welcome to Pinside, Phoebe!

Anyone who was willing to shlep that many pins to Expo is A-OK in my book!

#48 12 years ago

The pinball ninja site is great, what is a "nice" donation anyhow? That's pretty vague.

I used to read it all the time when it was free....I actually have it all saved before it went pay..

#49 12 years ago

Pingame subscriber for YEARS! Never heard do Drop Target! And Phoebe... great work! Loved your writeups in gameroom, back in the day.

-Aaron

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Any of you guys joined up The PinballNinja.com Site?The PinballNinja updates info on Pins on a daily basis.It's an Excellent site and Really worth all the Great reading!So much info there you can't
    miss out!Join up! at http://www.pinrepair.com scroll down to Pinball Online Webzine.

How much do you have to donate to get access to this? If I recall, there was quite a stir up(imagine that) on RGP about this and Clay's vague "nice" donation. Some people paid more than others and still didn't get access if I recall. I don't mind paying, just wish it was stated how much you need to gain access. Oh well...

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-most-people-here-support-pingame-journal-drop-target-magazines/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.