Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0c136d1f646702ebda5a3bb0fff1df9059332fdf (resized).jpg
    1092E8D3-6337-427B-9C5A-13F95F3179B2 (resized).png
    A0985FE2-B70B-41F2-9089-2294878251F1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4694 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4695 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4689 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4692 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4690 (resized).jpg
    0Joker Poker-added-Gate (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ptownpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 4 years ago

I agree with many above; however its really a case by case scenario. Some games really are enhanced with certain mods, and others are just crap. Color DMD, Invisiglass, LED's, Shaker, and cliffy protectors are all no brainers to me. If the game has those and u want them on your game its really a bonus because your probably getting all at a discount, and some are a really pain in the ass to install (cliffy's) + its not like u need new ones.

#66 4 years ago

Most mods are usually really easy to remove (except some Cliffy protectors) so its really just a personal decision. The exception to that is personalized powder coating, game blades, ramps, wire forms, etc....Unless your a pinball purist I think most people who purchased pinballs the last 10 years like many of the mods as they do dress up a game nicely, and very few affect game play. So if u think your gonna take a big hit on all the mods, just remove and sell them on the open market for 50-75% of the retail price.....for me I've upgraded the lighting on several 90's B/W games and the LED's are far superior as many of those games were too dark in the first place, and frankly the original lighting sucked.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

A Cliffy is considered a mod?

doesn't come with the original game so yes its a mod.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

NO WAY IN HELL!!! The real question is does it increase the value and the answer is probably no. Who is going to complain because you added a color screen, powder coated, side blade art the typical upgrades. I'd say no one. When you look at a company like Mod Couple they're just setting the World on Fire, their mods are enhancing the games. I look at Wonka and their mods are going to get it closer to the WOZ level. Their Pirate mods are amazing.
    Mods can also always be removed so it doesn't hurt the game no way no how. I think its possible you can get a slight bump for your game with some mods but typically you should only add mods if you plan on keeping the game forever. Otherwise you're probably going to lose some money.

I couldn't disagree more....so what your saying is a stock game with a color dmd, and shaker would sell for the same price as one without....I think not.

#74 4 years ago

The question the OP had was do mods decrease resale value....the answer is clearly no as most if not all can be easily removed....it might decrease the market segment if somebody put some crazy powder coating on a game, but it certainly wouldn't decrease sales value. The debate is what would people pay for these mods on resale....its really anyones guess...mine guess would be 25-100% of their original value depending on the mod.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

You can't get full price back on your color screen you just can't. Most people I see marketing a game will say this price with the screen this price without the color screen... why? Well because many people don't want to pay it because pinball players will tell you it doesn't change game play. All of my old games have color screens, every single one. I value it but most do not. That is a fact. No one is going to pay extra just because it has a shaker either. Why would you it doesn't cost much at all... I do feel that when you go all out on a game you might get a bit more but not a lot. Dude you're talking to someone that has mod his games probably more than anyone on this entire website. Come by my house and I'll show you... I've powder coated every game, color screened every game, pinblade art every single game, and I buy tons of mods to improve the theming. I've realized however that no one cares that much one way or the other they just want the game. You might get a little bit more for powder coating, color screen but not a ton more. I can tell you this however my pirates JJP game is so modded up that I wouldn't sell mine for anything less than $11,500 at this point. The mods made the game look 10 times better, but mods don't really make every game look better. I've learned over time that mods are only worth it on a handful of games, most games you don't even notice. I do agree that depending on how the game is modded changes the game somewhat. Just a couple mods here and there is no big deal.

I couldn't agree more that many of these mods make the games look a thousands times better (mine are all modded). Also I'm not arguing that one should expect much of a return on the mods. What I'm saying is that if I had a Met premium with color dmd, shaker, a few other mods that its not unreasonable to get an extra $300-$400 for the game (at least in my market) compared to the same game that has zero mods.....I've had a few buyers ask to remove the color dmd, which I happily did, but I'd say 90% want it once they see the game. The one mod that doesn't seem to get a lot of resale value is invisiglass/PDI (which I install on all my games)....so I typically just remove and install the original glass....

2 weeks later
    #101 4 years ago

Here's the great thing about most mods...they are really easy to remove, and resell...I get the purists all think that "stock" games are better, but its difficult to deny that most of these mods really clean up a game nicely. Any one who states that the old school displays are as good or better than the color dmd are clearly living in the stone age.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ptownpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-mods-decrease-resale?tu=ptownpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.