Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0c136d1f646702ebda5a3bb0fff1df9059332fdf (resized).jpg
    1092E8D3-6337-427B-9C5A-13F95F3179B2 (resized).png
    A0985FE2-B70B-41F2-9089-2294878251F1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4694 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4695 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4689 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4692 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4690 (resized).jpg
    0Joker Poker-added-Gate (resized).jpg

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

This is the worst of all of them...powder-coated coin doors, legs, rails, lockdown bars, wireforms, ugh! Hard pass.

Eegads

#52 4 years ago

Depends if they are mods I want and would have bought anyway. Contrary to many here, I do not care for the color DMD as an upgrade as most set it to that smudged totally filled setting that looks like trash.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I do not care for the color DMD as an upgrade as most set it to that smudged totally filled setting that looks like trash.

So you find it hard to hit a button 2 times to change it?

#54 4 years ago

So I’m also going to disagree with ColorDMD, but for different reasons. I don’t like to sell games with them still in it. People seem to have a price in mind for games, and that price doesn’t include a ColorDMD. But much worse than that, the replacement game I’m buying will probably need a ColorDMD! So I’m paying full price for it, and any extra mounting stuff. For a game like Stern Star Trek, that’s $445.33 USD to my door. Why would I sell it for a dime less than that, seeing I’ll need one as soon as that game leaves and the next game shows up?

So when I put one in a game I drop the original DMD into the box, write the game name on it, and toss it in the closet. Then the original goes back in when I sell it.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

A good point. A new board is not a mod or upgrade imo. It was only put in because the game wouldn’t work without it. The cost of the board brings a non working game up to standard. At no point does it make it worth more. No one is pulling out working original boards and “upgrading them”. Same as LED displays in a pre dmd game. I’ll take the plasma displays please.

You don't think a 35 year old game with a brand new board is worth a little more than a game with a 35 year old board?

#56 4 years ago

One other thought, there are some games out there that I know I would want to keep and mod myself. I don't want someone else's mods. I want the fun of picking them out and installing them.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

You don't think a 35 year old game with a brand new board is worth a little more than a game with a 35 year old board?

Depends on the boards but usually no. Weebly or alltek for a classic Stern/ Bally maybe because they have added features.
    Any replacement board for a W/B...why is it replaced? What was wrong with the old one? I can fix a board very easily in almost any condition for a couple bucks, no need to spend 100+ on a new one. And I'll take an OG board over a Rottendog every day

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Depends on the boards but usually no. Weebly or alltek for a classic Stern/ Bally maybe because they have added features.
    Any replacement board for a W/B...why is it replaced? What was wrong with the old one? I can fix a board very easily in almost any condition for a couple bucks, no need to spend 100+ on a new one. And I'll take an OG board over a Rottendog every day

Yes this was my point. A replacement board to me doesn’t make the game more valuable. The lack of a board of course makes it worth less than a running game. 35 yr old boards that have been serviced / bulletproofed are completely reliable. I DO appreciate repro board suppliers who keep pins alive.

How many System 11 owners wished they had an original over the repros with sound issues?

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Putting in a pool lowers your home value.

Might also depend on where you live. When I lived in San Diego a pool didnt matter to me. It was basically too cold for the pool (even more so at night). Now living in Florida a pool is a must to me. I will also add that if you have a nice house in Southern CA it will probably sell very quickly if priced right to the market. I dont think it matters if it has a pool or not. A Florida home will take longer to sell.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Genuine VFW LED's? I always turn off camera #4 and get a pocketful every visit.

I like to get to the club before clay does and change one or two GI lights on a random game with different coloured LEDs to see how long it takes him to find them and have a stroke about it

Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus those things...they're great if you want 3 diff'rent colored "warm whites"

"warm" whites?!? I thought that those cost him too much and that's why he switched to the blue and/or sometimes purple "cool" whites. I swear every bulb in that bag is a different colour

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So you find it hard to hit a button 2 times to change it?

Lol, no, it's just that that seems to be what every person uses which I find strange because it doesn't look good at all (IMO of course). Ultimately, I am not really interested in them so I'm with the person who says he would keep them and put them in another machine.

#62 4 years ago

I do not care for LED's in an older pin so yes for me that is a mod that would lesson my interest and what I'd pay. They do improve some of the more modern pins but for EM's and early SS they just don't work for me.

#63 4 years ago

For me it depends on the mod and the game the mod is going into. Color DMD are always a plus. Shaker motors usually add value. PinSound boards add value in certain games (like a must have in Getaway, DataEast GNR, etc). LED's are break-even type of mod for me and don't add/subtract value. Dancin' Boggy man mod and glow-in-the-dark ramp bones in Scared Stiff add value. Aftermarket clear coating on playfields also add value in my book.

Things that subtract value (for me) are: weird color powder coated parts, playfield decal overlay stickers, bad touchups on playfields, non-original sideart that is installed badly and any mod that is not easily reversible.

#64 4 years ago

Mods, with very few exceptions, that are radically different from stock-appearing will usually compromise the value of a pin. Off the top of head, I can say that for, say CFTBL the Mike D mod will likely increase the value ~1800.00 or so. Powder coating-not so much. I have bought and sold many pins (over 1000, probably closer to 2000) in my life and have always passed on the ones that are either heavily modded or "personalized". Sadly, and no offense implied to those who like it, powder-coated pins are an automatic no.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

...I can say that for, say CFTBL the Mike D mod will likely increase the value ~1800.00 or so. ...

Really? Why so much?

#66 4 years ago

Most mods are usually really easy to remove (except some Cliffy protectors) so its really just a personal decision. The exception to that is personalized powder coating, game blades, ramps, wire forms, etc....Unless your a pinball purist I think most people who purchased pinballs the last 10 years like many of the mods as they do dress up a game nicely, and very few affect game play. So if u think your gonna take a big hit on all the mods, just remove and sell them on the open market for 50-75% of the retail price.....for me I've upgraded the lighting on several 90's B/W games and the LED's are far superior as many of those games were too dark in the first place, and frankly the original lighting sucked.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Most mods are usually really easy to remove (except some Cliffy protectors) so its really just a personal decision. The exception to that is personalized powder coating, game blades, ramps, wire forms, etc....Unless your a pinball purist I think most people who purchased pinballs the last 10 years like many of the mods as they do dress up a game nicely, and very few affect game play. So if u think your gonna take a big hit on all the mods, just remove and sell them on the open market for 50-75% of the retail price.....for me I've upgraded the lighting on several 90's B/W games and the LED's are far superior as many of those games were too dark in the first place, and frankly the original lighting sucked.

A Cliffy is considered a mod?

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Hey, I'm still trying to figure out why they are putting pools I a pinball machine

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

doesn't come with the original game so yes its a mod.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Really? Why so much?

Not really too sure on that-but-I was recently offered 2400.00 for my unused MikeD kit (uninstalled in it's box along with monitor) and I'm reeeally thinking about letting it go at that price! I wish I bought 2 of them!

#71 4 years ago

NO WAY IN HELL!!! The real question is does it increase the value and the answer is probably no. Who is going to complain because you added a color screen, powder coated, side blade art the typical upgrades. I'd say no one. When you look at a company like Mod Couple they're just setting the World on Fire, their mods are enhancing the games. I look at Wonka and their mods are going to get it closer to the WOZ level. Their Pirate mods are amazing.

Mods can also always be removed so it doesn't hurt the game no way no how. I think its possible you can get a slight bump for your game with some mods but typically you should only add mods if you plan on keeping the game forever. Otherwise you're probably going to lose some money.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

NO WAY IN HELL!!! The real question is does it increase the value and the answer is probably no. Who is going to complain because you added a color screen, powder coated, side blade art the typical upgrades. I'd say no one. When you look at a company like Mod Couple they're just setting the World on Fire, their mods are enhancing the games. I look at Wonka and their mods are going to get it closer to the WOZ level. Their Pirate mods are amazing.
    Mods can also always be removed so it doesn't hurt the game no way no how. I think its possible you can get a slight bump for your game with some mods but typically you should only add mods if you plan on keeping the game forever. Otherwise you're probably going to lose some money.

I couldn't disagree more....so what your saying is a stock game with a color dmd, and shaker would sell for the same price as one without....I think not.

#73 4 years ago

Almost no mods add value for me. Like someone else said, I have a number in mind and if the mods put it over that number, no thanks.

Only exception being cheap mods like cliffies - if they were put in early and the games been played that should result in better quality playfield. Maybe some mods that I would have wanted but are no longer available, otherwise I would just add them myself when money allows

#74 4 years ago

The question the OP had was do mods decrease resale value....the answer is clearly no as most if not all can be easily removed....it might decrease the market segment if somebody put some crazy powder coating on a game, but it certainly wouldn't decrease sales value. The debate is what would people pay for these mods on resale....its really anyones guess...mine guess would be 25-100% of their original value depending on the mod.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Completely agree with this. I want an origin board so I can fix it. Plenty of tech advice on orginal stuff.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

NO WAY IN HELL!!!

Apparently you haven't see the guys that had nice brass wireforms on their Shadow's and decided to powder coat them some shade of purple or something. That brings the value down for me.

#77 4 years ago

No I won't give you an extra 100 dollars for that ugly plastic plunger you defaced the machine with and I expect the original be put back in thank you

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I couldn't disagree more....so what your saying is a stock game with a color dmd, and shaker would sell for the same price as one without....I think not.

You can't get full price back on your color screen you just can't. Most people I see marketing a game will say this price with the screen this price without the color screen... why? Well because many people don't want to pay it because pinball players will tell you it doesn't change game play. All of my old games have color screens, every single one. I value it but most do not. That is a fact. No one is going to pay extra just because it has a shaker either. Why would you it doesn't cost much at all... I do feel that when you go all out on a game you might get a bit more but not a lot. Dude you're talking to someone that has mod his games probably more than anyone on this entire website. Come by my house and I'll show you... I've powder coated every game, color screened every game, pinblade art every single game, and I buy tons of mods to improve the theming. I've realized however that no one cares that much one way or the other they just want the game. You might get a little bit more for powder coating, color screen but not a ton more. I can tell you this however my pirates JJP game is so modded up that I wouldn't sell mine for anything less than $11,500 at this point. The mods made the game look 10 times better, but mods don't really make every game look better. I've learned over time that mods are only worth it on a handful of games, most games you don't even notice. I do agree that depending on how the game is modded changes the game somewhat. Just a couple mods here and there is no big deal.

Quoted from Lamprey:

Apparently you haven't see the guys that had nice brass wireforms on their Shadow's and decided to powder coat them some shade of purple or something. That brings the value down for me.

See that is an opinion... I think most people would prefer powder coating. But its the same thing as re=painting a car you do something and wild and custom you limit the people who would want it. I think most powder coating jobs are pretty much enhancing the game, and people like it. If someone does something nutty yeah I would agree otherwise I wouldn't.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

You can't get full price back on your color screen you just can't. Most people I see marketing a game will say this price with the screen this price without the color screen... why? Well because many people don't want to pay it because pinball players will tell you it doesn't change game play. All of my old games have color screens, every single one. I value it but most do not. That is a fact. No one is going to pay extra just because it has a shaker either. Why would you it doesn't cost much at all... I do feel that when you go all out on a game you might get a bit more but not a lot. Dude you're talking to someone that has mod his games probably more than anyone on this entire website. Come by my house and I'll show you... I've powder coated every game, color screened every game, pinblade art every single game, and I buy tons of mods to improve the theming. I've realized however that no one cares that much one way or the other they just want the game. You might get a little bit more for powder coating, color screen but not a ton more. I can tell you this however my pirates JJP game is so modded up that I wouldn't sell mine for anything less than $11,500 at this point. The mods made the game look 10 times better, but mods don't really make every game look better. I've learned over time that mods are only worth it on a handful of games, most games you don't even notice. I do agree that depending on how the game is modded changes the game somewhat. Just a couple mods here and there is no big deal.

I couldn't agree more that many of these mods make the games look a thousands times better (mine are all modded). Also I'm not arguing that one should expect much of a return on the mods. What I'm saying is that if I had a Met premium with color dmd, shaker, a few other mods that its not unreasonable to get an extra $300-$400 for the game (at least in my market) compared to the same game that has zero mods.....I've had a few buyers ask to remove the color dmd, which I happily did, but I'd say 90% want it once they see the game. The one mod that doesn't seem to get a lot of resale value is invisiglass/PDI (which I install on all my games)....so I typically just remove and install the original glass....

1 week later
    #80 4 years ago

Here is Batman 66 I just got powder coated. Now if you had a chance to buy two machines and one is black and this one is purple which one you buying???

My Batman has side blade art, all the mods from the mod couple and many other things. But this purple powder coat just set off the game.

IMG_4689 (resized).jpgIMG_4689 (resized).jpgIMG_4690 (resized).jpgIMG_4690 (resized).jpgIMG_4692 (resized).jpgIMG_4692 (resized).jpgIMG_4694 (resized).jpgIMG_4694 (resized).jpgIMG_4695 (resized).jpgIMG_4695 (resized).jpg
    #81 4 years ago

‘Tasteful’ powdercoating/plating increases value.
    FYI, I’d certainly take drfrightner ‘s BM66 over a stock pin any day!

#82 4 years ago

You know what I've learned on this website, you have a lot of different groups of pinball owners. The old school guys like the games exactly as is... however I feel the people who will pay the most are the collectors. If I had a choice I'd pay more for the game decked out especially the powder coated game.

Anyone can add mods, but to powder coat you have to take stuff off the game a bit more work. Buying one already powder coated is a bonus.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Anyone can add mods, but to powder coat you have to take stuff off the game a bit more work. Buying one already powder coated is a bonus.

if, and only if the powder coat color/finish is what you're looking for. otherwise, it just means more work/time/money to get the machine how you want it.

that purple metallic would have been great if the version was a batgirl bm66

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So I’m also going to disagree with ColorDMD, but for different reasons. I don’t like to sell games with them still in it. People seem to have a price in mind for games, and that price doesn’t include a ColorDMD. But much worse than that, the replacement game I’m buying will probably need a ColorDMD! So I’m paying full price for it, and any extra mounting stuff. For a game like Stern Star Trek, that’s $445.33 USD to my door. Why would I sell it for a dime less than that, seeing I’ll need one as soon as that game leaves and the next game shows up?
    So when I put one in a game I drop the original DMD into the box, write the game name on it, and toss it in the closet. Then the original goes back in when I sell it.

Regarding "Why would I sell it for a dime less than that"...

The old ColorDMD has lost some of it's value as it's used and does not have the same lifespan as a brand new one. Given the choice, most would take a brand new ColorDMD over a 4 year old one. Additionally, you would have to install the OLD DMD if you removed the ColorDMD -> which has a value of $100 (or $150 for a new one)

#86 4 years ago

I never mod out a game I know that I might sell down the road. I hate most mods anyway. Unless it improves the functionality of the game it's a waste of money.

#87 4 years ago

IMHO, Yes. I don't want a modded out game. I probably wouldn't buy it. Certainly wouldn't buy it if seller was charging for them.

Only exception, as many agree, ColorDMD.

#88 4 years ago

Yes! And heres a star trek le that has kirk spock and a gorn figure. Hideous! That I just bought. Love the game hate mods!

1092E8D3-6337-427B-9C5A-13F95F3179B2 (resized).png1092E8D3-6337-427B-9C5A-13F95F3179B2 (resized).pngA0985FE2-B70B-41F2-9089-2294878251F1 (resized).jpegA0985FE2-B70B-41F2-9089-2294878251F1 (resized).jpeg
    #89 4 years ago

Few pins that lends themselves well to mods are Tron for one. Mini arcade, yes please. Lit ramps on non-LE? Yup.

TWD. Burning barn, yes. Belt for well-walker, also yes. Color Dmds for every plasma display. Color is the new orange.

Few runner ups: DM alt translite. Hell yeah.

Pinsound boards. Supersize that order please.

IJ and TZ for real backglass? Sign me up.

And of course any mod that improves the pin electrical or mechanicals. HH ground upgrade. Higher powered LOTR coils.

Cc’d pf? If done professionally.

Matt @ Backalleycreatons sells high end stuff. His mods are like the Chris Hutchins of mods. Modfather, PinballDecals.com, etc. great stuff that I EXPECT a buyer to appreciate.

Action figures? Stickers? Large plastic decal-damaging leg ‘protectors’? Ugh. Leds that owner thought were cool? No Spanks.

#90 4 years ago

I joined recently Pinside and still in evaluation process on how the pinball market is, so im going to speak as someone who is looking to buy its first pin. I might not be in the majority i dont know.

My opinion is that i personally look for an un-mod pin, for the single reason that i want to pay lower. Mods increase value for maybe someone looking for a certain pin and know how the market work, but as a recent pinball fan, i just want to see an unmod pin for sale and get it for its average value. Sure sometime the area you are dont have a lot ( living in Montreal , Canada ), but sometime i see ads at like 2 time its value because it have been mod, id like to ask the seller ´hey unmod it to make it cheaper’ but that would not be possible.

I dont think overall it decrease its resale value, it just might imo take it longer to resell, perhaps sometime make some sellers think it can make it increase its value. There is a difference.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighFive:

I joined recently Pinside and still in evaluation process on how the pinball market is, so im going to speak as someone who is looking to buy its first pin. I might not be in the majority i dont know.
    My opinion is that i personally look for an un-mod pin, for the single reason that i want to pay lower. Mods increase value for maybe someone looking for a certain pin and know how the market work, but as a recent pinball fan, i just want to see an unmod pin for sale and get it for its average value. Sure sometime the area you are dont have a lot ( living in Montreal , Canada ), but sometime i see ads at like 2 time its value because it have been mod, id like to ask the seller ´hey unmod it to make it cheaper’ but that would not be possible.
    I dont think overall it decrease its resale value, it just might imo take it longer to resell, perhaps sometime make some sellers think it can make it increase its value. There is a difference.

I sold my stern potc to an op who was going to put it on location. Modded with leds and BAC cannons and BAC ( backalleycreations) other plastics. No issue unmodding it, then I sold the mods here for what I paid. Reversible mods are always the way to go. I always keep everything originally removed in protected boxes anyways.

#92 4 years ago

LEDs can be to taste also. I bought a TAF with LEDs, but they weren't Comet and weren't frosted, so out they went even though they were working perfectly. In that scenario I would've been in the same boat if it had been incandescent.

#93 4 years ago

When LED's are done properly with a GIOCD and LEDOCD board, they make any game fantastic and absolutely a person has the right to command more money. There is literally no way anyone can hate LED's with these boards. Less power being sued and less stress on everything including eliminating heat related issues (insert raising). Adding LED's by themselves into any game not designed for them is just GAWD AWFUL and no, I will not pay additional for but even if the color scheme isn't quite my cup of tea, if those boards are installed I will gladly pay the additional $300 cost for the boards (and ONLY the boards) because I firmly believe in LED's now. IF you were dumb enough to pay $200-$250 for an LED kit - that's on you. As previously stated - $100 will buy you all the bulbs you want - those kits are an absolute rape job and I don't pay for peoples mistakes

Seriously, if you guys haven't used Herg's products you are truly robbing yourselves of a great experience.

#94 4 years ago

I love mods and add them to all my games. That said, I do it for me and I make them removable if I ever want to sell. I also would not increase my sale price because of them and would gladly remove them if the buyer wanted. The exception to the rule is powder coating. Personally, I really like it if done right. I mean my AFMLE came with green trim from the factory.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I love mods and add them to all my games. That said, I do it for me and I make them removable if I ever want to sell. I also would not increase my sale price because of them and would gladly remove them if the buyer wanted. The exception to the rule is powder coating. Personally, I really like it if done right. I mean my AFMLE came with green trim from the factory.

So ColorDmd is free. Nice...

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

So ColorDmd is free. Nice...

Well, not exactly what I was trying to say.

What I was getting at is that I added a $150 topper to Jurassic Park and a ton of other stuff ( for me to enjoy ) and would still sell it for the going price of a nice condition JP. So I guess color dmd aside, I wouldn't add value to my selling price.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

If you powder coat the game, that lowers the value. It's not a fugly hot rod, stop that shit.

Depends on the game. Purple on Metallica or the deep red on Ironman looks awesome. On the other hand someone posted a SW Premium the other day with all white armor on it...ugh. That one definitely knocked hundreds off of what I would give for the game.

Protectors are technically mods. I love seeing Cliffys and plastic protectors and always put them on my games as early as possible to prevent wear and breakage.

As others have posted, LEDs are not a plus unless they have been done tastefully and have the LED OCD boards installed. No clown puke GI or strobing/flickering for me.

I can't stand mirror blades. That definitely cuts the price of the game.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Well, not exactly what I was trying to say.
    What I was getting at is that I added a $150 topper to Jurassic Park and a ton of other stuff ( for me to enjoy ) and would still sell it for the going price of a nice condition JP. So I guess color dmd aside, I wouldn't add value to my selling price.

I hear ya. I sell my pins with tons of free extras if buyer is cool. Gave away $300 in mods I removed as a surprise parting gift on a sale as buyer was great but wasn’t ‘mod savvy’.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Depends on the game. Purple on Metallica or the deep red on Ironman looks awesome. On the other hand someone posted a SW Premium the other day with all white armor on it...ugh. That one definitely knocked hundreds off of what I would give for the game.
    Protectors are technically mods. I love seeing Cliffys and plastic protectors and always put them on my games as early as possible to prevent wear and breakage.
    As others have posted, LEDs are not a plus unless they have been done tastefully and have the LED OCD boards installed. No clown puke GI or strobing/flickering for me.
    I can't stand mirror blades. That definitely cuts the price of the game.

Mirror blades have to be either top notch custom or professionally installed. I’ve seen way to many scratched to shit or broken from pf lifting.

#100 4 years ago

When I want to try a game that I’m not entirely sure of, say a GoT or Kiss, I don’t want to pay a penny more than the market price for a used, stock game. I’ve had people offering me $6k GoT pros and other pros in the high 5’s because they’re modded to high heaven. Often beautifully.

But if I think a game is worth $4,500 give or take a few hundred, that’s all I want to be paying. So I usually pass on the heavily modded games.

I do like games with added shaker or blades, but they’ve become pretty common, and I’m not sure people can really recoup these much in their asking prices. Color DMD is a different story. And maybe invisiglass.

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-mods-decrease-resale/page/2?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.