4 days ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by PtownPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0Joker Poker-added-Gate (resized).jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 days ago

Personal opinions here. Do mods decrease resale value when reselling? Seems like a personalization thing for me. Makes me sorta cringe when considering a used pin. Of course people are likely not thinking of resale when they do them. As a seller though, I put everything back original, if you can mod you can unmod right?

#2 4 days ago

Depends on the mod. Some increase price. For example, a ColorDMD adds value for sure.

#3 4 days ago

This goes a few ways do to deiff'rent types of buyers...it may actually even out?

You have a mod like Color DMD that will always raise a price, because it's universally loved.

Then you have people that have LEDd a game that may raise it a bit, or for me keep it the same. You can go ahead and keep the LEds I got enough myself.

Then everything else (I can think of off hand - EDIT ah a shaker as Hougie mentioned) is up in the air. Bunch of shitty mods are probably going to turn me off, mostly because their asking price is higher, and it's going to take me time to remove them and try to sell them.

Take something like Pinstadium...if the price was a bit more I'd pay it if I knew I could sell for a profit after.

Then you have the wild cards like "new rottendog boards" that you would think would raise a price, but I don't really see it as a benefit at all.

#4 4 days ago

Some desirable mods definitely add value. Shaker motors, color dmds, and LEDs can add value.

Generally speaking, toys, toppers, and other add-ons don't seem to add much value.

#5 4 days ago

Color DMD and LEDs (if you count that) is about the only thing that has personal value to me. Other mods, especially just the stuff you literally stick to a game, don't have any value to me so I'm not willing to pay anything "extra" for them and don't want to spend my time removing them and trying to sell them. Even LEDs are tough - I will "pay" for them to an extent. I only keep a few extras on hand so I usually just order them when I'm going to LED a game so I can understand adding 100 bucks-ish to the price, assuming I personally like how it looks. There is some value to me personally in the labor depending on the game. For example I bought a Baywatch that was 100% LED with Comets, exactly how I would have done it, and all the work was done - including dealing with the obnoxious Sega/DE stapled down GI sockets. In my head I was like ok I'd be in 120 bucks for the LEDs, plus my time and frustration, so I was totally fine with that "built into the price". For a game where it's a quick swap on the lights, I may value that less.

So to answer your question - it depends .

#6 4 days ago

I'm a reformed modder. Keep 'em stock unless you enjoy flushing money down the toilet!

Aside from the above comments, powder coating is a big money pit as well. Chances are what looks cool to you won't look cool to the buyer, unless it's something universal like red on Iron Man etc... but you're still not getting much, if any, of that money back.

If you bought a game with a bunch of mods already installed, consider pulling them out and selling as a lot. I'm generally too lazy to do that, but it's in your best interest for sure.

#7 4 days ago

I literally LOL'd. You see people jacking the prices up because they added a few "toys" and I'm sorry but adding LED's is not a reason to jack your price up 3x's what you paid for em. You can spend ~$100 for LED bulbs and these people typically dont add an LEDOCD or GIOCD so the LEDs are almost seizure inducing. If LEDs are done correctly then asking ~$300ish more to me is legit.
    Color DMD, sound upgrade, shaker and a no longer made mechanical mod then yes.... the rest is bs.

#8 4 days ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

powder coating is a big money pit as well

This is the worst of all of them...powder-coated coin doors, legs, rails, lockdown bars, wireforms, ugh! Hard pass.

#9 4 days ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

I literally LOL'd. You see people jacking the prices up because they added a few "toys" and I'm sorry but adding LED's is not a reason to jack your price up 3x's what you paid for em. You can spend ~$100 for LED bulbs and these people typically dont add an LEDOCD or GIOCD so the LEDs are almost seizure inducing. If LEDs are done correctly then asking ~$300ish more to me is legit.
    Color DMD, sound upgrade, shaker and a no longer made mechanical mod then yes.... the rest is bs.

I agree that mods should not be jacking prices up crazily - however LOTS of games are selling at higher prices, and they are all modded out like crazy. Coincidence?

#10 4 days ago

It's been my experience that if I buy a game at a decent price, I usually find a buyer that appreciates the mods I put in it and I get the money back.

#11 4 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

however LOTS of games are selling at higher prices, and they are all modded out like crazy. Coincidence?

When ALL machines are selling at super high numbers even without mods it's hard to judge the correlation for sure.

Quoted from schudel5:

This is the worst of all of them...powder-coated coin doors, legs, rails, lockdown bars, wireforms, ugh! Hard pass.

Total shit show.

Quoted from CLEllison:

If LEDs are done correctly then asking ~$300ish more to me is legit.

It would be tough for me to add $300 for OCDLED but I guess people do love it.

#12 4 days ago

Mods are definitely personal and the term itself is subject to interpretation.

For example - glueing cheap toys on the game is not a mod. Adds zero value to me as now i have to reverse it. That’s minus dollars. Any mods should be easily reversal and non destructive.

Things like color DMD’s are fine but if you are adding full value of that to the price i would expect the original to come with it.

#13 4 days ago

Toys add no value for me, because they are coming off as soon as it gets home. Most do not fit the character and continuity of the art and mechs of the rest of the machine. Many block the view of the ball. Makes the machine look like a car that was decked out via the accessory aisle at Pep Boys. Ugly aftermarket powder coat drops the value for me as well. Color puke GI takes value away, because I have to spend money to fix it.

#14 4 days ago

Color DMD, sound improvements, a shaker motor and maybe tastefully done LED's with an OCD board...that's it.

#15 4 days ago

As others have said, there are lines...

Mods that upgrade add value: (well done) LEDs, CDMD, upgraded mechs and boards, Cliffys, Pinsound... a lot of reasonable people do some or all of these things to keep the game working or get it a little more up to date.

Aesthetic mods that can be removed are a wash: molded toys, action figures, translites (if you kept the original)... a new buyer can simply remove them and no harm done.

Aesthetic mods that would be difficult to remove can hurt the value or sell-ability for sure: Custom cabs, armors, decals... if the buyer loves them then good deal but those are often personal preference and may not appeal across the board.

#16 4 days ago

Keep all of your mods, the Color DMD, sound improvements, shaker motors, leds, everything. If I want them, I'll buy them myself.

I don't want to pay an extra $300 for one game with a color dmd and have 20 other games without because you like how it looks. And chances are pretty good that our taste in LEDS differs too.

#17 4 days ago

I agree with many. ColorDMD, sound, shaker improvements and that's about it. No matter
    what Leds do everybody has different tastes. Keep it stock and price accordingly.
    I understand where people are at with mod costs but to try to pass it along doesn't
    always seems best for next owner. Enjoy your personal decked out machine but strip
    all non-stock stuff and sell separately. Yes powder coating can't be an easy resale point.

#18 4 days ago

Shaker, invisiglass, colordmd & radcals
    Only mods I consider to add value when buying a used pin.

Anything else added to a pin shouldn't be considered in the resell value in my opinion. However, depending on the buyer a rare, hard to find mod can sweeten the deal sometimes.

#19 4 days ago

Generally, no. If it is a ColorDMD, Bill Ung Saucer, Mike D Holo. Or any of the very few universally accepted mods then yes. But only increased by the price of the Mod.

Switching GI bulbs to Warm White LEDs should not effect the price. Color puke LED jobs will take away money since they have to be removed.

Toys and other personalized crap might break the deal if the can't de easily removed without destruction and the original parts are not included.

The game has a fairly fixed value based on the market. If you wasted time or money is not my problem. If you overpaid don't take it out on me. If you got a good deal then I have no issue on how much you make selling it to me.

If you are selling a game covered with mods but the game does not function correctly you should be banished from society for all time.

#20 4 days ago

I tell someone to remove the mods if they think they're worth that much. I don't really care about art blades, extra sculpts, new legs and side rails plated in atomic green, etc...

#21 4 days ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Generally, no. If it is a ColorDMD, Bill Ung Saucer, Mike D Holo. Or any of the very few universally accepted mods then yes. But only increased by the price of the Mod.

As with everything it depends.

I wish I could have bought my Tron with the fiber optic ramp lights pre-installed. Pulling the ramps and drilling them was stressful. If I ever sell it and someone says "yeah, I don't want to pay for the ramp lights" well then that's fine, don't buy my game, and good luck to you.

There's probably someone who's a purist and wants the original shitty arcade toy over the animated LED one too. That's easy enough to pull and sell separately I guess, but who wants the hassle? Not like Tron is a hard game to move.

On the other hand, the shit I've seen people glue to a Walking Dead would make me hard pass on buying their game at all, unless I could see for sure there was no damage from taking it all off.

#22 4 days ago

Depends some mods do and some don't. A couple of the mods I think that add value are certain Toppers, Color DMD, and Cliffy's.

#23 4 days ago

90% of mods I don't care for so they don't add value for me. Won't decrease value unless they are a pain or damaging to remove.

#24 4 days ago

Depends on the era. Usually they are just covering totally blown out scoop holes that would lower the value of the game...I call that a wash

#25 4 days ago

This is entirely subjective - if the buyer sees value in what you did, then they will be willing to pay more for the game; if they don't, they won't.

But every single buyer is different, with different opinions about what has value, so there's no hard answer.

For example:

Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

A couple of the mods I think that add value are certain Toppers, Color DMD, and Cliffy's

I don't care for toppers. I don't think they're worth spending money on -- so I wouldn't be willing to pay more for a game that had one, regardless of cost.

The one possible exception being; if you damaged or removed (and no longer have) original parts in any way - that should lower the value.

#26 4 days ago

A Real Estate agent gave me advice a long time ago. Don't make a major renovation unless you are planning to stay in the house for a long time to enjoy it and don't expect the next person to love it or pay for it. Then gave examples like a sauna.

Too many people get a new game and go mod crazy. Then realize it is not a keeper. If you love a game, are going to keep it for a long time and make it fit your tastes then more power to you. If you are one of those people who constantly rotates your games then leave it alone.

#27 4 days ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

This is entirely subjective - if the buyer sees value in what you did, then they will be willing to pay more for the game; if they don't, they won't.
    But every single buyer is different, with different opinions about what has value, so there's no hard answer.
    For example:

I don't care for toppers. I don't think they're worth spending money on -- so I wouldn't be willing to pay more for a game that had one, regardless of cost.
    The one possible exception being; if you damaged or removed (and no longer have) original parts in any way - that should lower the value.

I'd 100% agree on toppers except the relatively cheap ones that shipped stock with the games and basically advertise the game, like the one I have on Space Shuttle, or the one that covers the High Speed beacon. That said, I think they look super neat but wouldn't pay anything crazy for them...I think I got a NOS Space Shuttle one for like $25 bucks? I have the topper for JD but just because the guy I got it from just threw it in anyway for me for free after I told him I didn't really want it. I can't fathom paying what people pay for like the toppers for modern games at several hundred a pop.

#28 4 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Then you have people that have LEDd a game that may raise it a bit, or for me keep it the same. You can go ahead and keep the LEds I got enough myself.

Genuine VFW LED's? I always turn off camera #4 and get a pocketfull every visit.

#29 4 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Genuine VFW LED's? I always turn off camera #4 and get a pocketfull every visit.

Jesus those things...they're great if you want 3 diff'rent colored "warm whites"

#30 4 days ago

I just will not pay some outrageous price for a game with tons of mods just because the seller wants to get every penny back out of the thing.

#31 4 days ago

I saw no. Maybe a topper or pin stadium lights help. Not much else.

#32 4 days ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

This is entirely subjective - if the buyer sees value in what you did, then they will be willing to pay more for the game; if they don't, they won't. But every single buyer is different, with different opinions about what has value, so there's no hard answer.

Exactly. It is 100% dependent on the buyer and if they consider the particular mods to be valuable.

#33 4 days ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

A Real Estate agent gave me advice a long time ago. Don't make a major renovation unless you are planning to stay in the house for a long time to enjoy it and don't expect the next person to love it or pay for it. Then gave examples like a sauna.
    Too many people get a new game and go mod crazy. Then realize it is not a keeper. If you love a game, are going to keep it for a long time and make it fit your tastes then more power to you. If you are one of those people who constantly rotates your games then leave it alone.

House example nails it.

I subtracted money from a house I bought once because IT HAD a pool. Literally, the first day there, before anything was unpacked, a railroad spike and sledge were taken to the sides (above ground, obviously), any aluminum was thrown on the trailer for a scrap run, and the area where that some'bitch sat was re-graded and seeded.

Same goes for Harleys; people are nuts if they think someone is going to pay extra for that comically oversized billet front wheel (because you yourself paid $6k for it!).

Game wise, I see this constantly, and it prevents me from being a buyer for a number of reasons.

First, I'm not sure of the quality of the install, and I don't trust many people with intricate mechanical work. How many times have you torn a game down for a shop out, only to find a bunch of hardware missing or incorrect or hacked together? It's annoying.

Second, your tastes probably don't match mine. I'm a warm white led, cliffy, white-rubber-with-color-appropriate-flipper-bands-and-that's-it kind of guy on my games. I like stock looking games. Powdercoating and dolls add nothing for me except extra work to un-mod the game.

But since we're on the topic, Taxman, what do you feel about the shooter rod on the Incredible Hulk that we both play?

#34 4 days ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

But since we're on the topic, Taxman, what do you feel about the shooter rod on the Incredible Hulk that we both play?

Hate it. Every time I walk up to Hulk my first thought is how important that skill shot is to make the entire ball. My second thought it WTF am I holding? Should I turn that little hand up or down? I want a ball or disk so I can be consistent and I never know what to so with that thing.

Sorry to those who love it, paid for it, designer or sold it, but I hate that thing.

#35 4 days ago

I think you've told me before that you die a little bit on the inside every time you plunge the ball, haha.

I always try to orient it the same way every time I plunge (In my case 12 and 6). It's a simple annoyance to a lot of us, and I'm sure that that makes Jim laugh his ass off.

FTR, I hate it too.

#36 4 days ago

I subtracted money from a house I bought once because IT HAD a pool.

Putting in a pool lowers your home value. Putting in marble countertops raises it. Exceptions to both rules, but that's the common wisdom. Like everything else in this thread it's all a "well it depends".

Home next to us was sold on short sale to flippers, they're renovating it to sell at a profit. They filled in the pool, and thank fucking goodness, green mosquito cesspit, but that's why. Taking out the pool raises their selling price. Was an in-ground pool, cool to see the process of filling it. More work than taking out those shitty color bombed LED GI that's for sure.

#37 4 days ago

I think you've told me before that you die a little bit on the inside every time you plunge the ball, haha.

I have my computer on a TV next to the TV for cable. So my girlfriend likes to read when I get engaged in a thread. As soon as she read your "die a little inside" comment she laughed knowing that is the kind of thing I say.

I always try to orient it the same way every time I plunge (In my case 12 and 6). It's a simple annoyance to a lot of us, and I'm sure that that makes Jim laugh his ass off.
    FTR, I hate it too.

Jim is pretty sadistic. If you tell him you hate something he smiles. I seem to keep him happy. If you tell him you hate a game and then get grouped with him in league you can count on him picking that game.

#38 4 days ago

I agree with many of the comments above.
    So many of the mods now available come down to personal taste.
    I think the main exceptions are Color DMD, Anti-reflective Glass & Shaker Motor.
    I know I can remove these and either keep them for another pin or sell them separately.
    Installing a few Cliffys (if considered a mod) make some sense in high wear areas as well.
    I've recently stopped adding many extra mods (ie: particularly Speak lights, flipper leds, etc...) as I know these costs will likely not get returned when I sell the pin.
    If I feel it's a longer term purchase, I may add mirror blades/side decals or a select mod (ie: the Atomic Pile & Spot Light on BM66) as I will personally get enough satisfaction out of those to justify the additional expense.
    It's all really quite subjective to say the least.

#39 4 days ago

Certain mods would increase a value for me, but it depends on which mod in what game.

It's impossible to guess what a future buyer would like so only mod for your own sake.

#40 4 days ago

I really dig...

Powdercoat (if done well)
    Mirror blades
    Tanslucent color apron
    LED's
    Color DMD
    Brass or chrome coindoor (not powdercoat)
    Colorful silicone ring kits

I sorta dig a solid topper. Shakers are in the same boat. Pinstadium too I think. None are quite must have but I like em.

But...

Attaching dolls or 3D printed signs is reeeally not my thing. I also dont like powdercoated ramps or wireforms.

Were all different tho. I'm no authority.

Oh, wait. I love the boney flipper bats on my TWD. So cool! To me.

#41 4 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Then you have the wild cards like "new rottendog boards" that you would think would raise a price, but I don't really see it as a benefit at all.

A good point. A new board is not a mod or upgrade imo. It was only put in because the game wouldn’t work without it. The cost of the board brings a non working game up to standard. At no point does it make it worth more. No one is pulling out working original boards and “upgrading them”. Same as LED displays in a pre dmd game. I’ll take the plasma displays please.

#42 4 days ago

Hi
    my conclusion first: No mods.

(I am an EM-Man) In the arcade rooms I had to play SS pins late 1970ies / early 80ies so I played Gorgar, Xenon and some Gottlieb-Sys-1-Pins.When I started collecting pins I wanted "all I have played in my Youth". For my Gottlieb-Sys-1 I bought "Pascal-Janin-PI1-X4 all in one replacement boards". By now I want to reduce my collection - some pins (among EMs an Sinbad-SS) I sold to a man --- we then had a look at "what I do want to sell this coming fall" - I said: Look here an SS-Joker-Poker (see the JPG) I modded it by adding an pure electromechanical Gate" --- the man said: "I am strongly interested to buy the Joker Poker --- take that s(tuff) out and mount the original wooden stick (diverting playfield / shooterlane). I did not feel like telling my second modification --- so lets return to the first sentence in this post. Greetings Rolf

0Joker Poker-added-Gate (resized).jpg
    #43 4 days ago

If you powder coat the game, that lowers the value. It's not a fugly hot rod, stop that shit.

#44 4 days ago

I agree with many above; however its really a case by case scenario. Some games really are enhanced with certain mods, and others are just crap. Color DMD, Invisiglass, LED's, Shaker, and cliffy protectors are all no brainers to me. If the game has those and u want them on your game its really a bonus because your probably getting all at a discount, and some are a really pain in the ass to install (cliffy's) + its not like u need new ones.

#45 4 days ago

To me the mods are worth what you could sell them for separately and typically only decrease value if irreversible or out in left-field. Color DMD, Invisiglass, Pinsound, shaker, Stern topper and metal aprons are worth about 75-100% to me. I'll also pay 50-100% for powder coating / chrome if well done. Cliffy's, silicon rubber and LED's 0-100% depending on if I'd do the same or similar. The market is obviously smaller for higher priced, customized machines but plenty of people are willing to pay for well done mods. Pinball Refinery machines seem to hold most of their value.

#46 4 days ago

Mods that permanently alter a game would decrease resale value in my mind. Changing the powder coat on an LE game is one of the biggest negatives I can think of when it comes to impacting resale value.

Also, adding a dozen action figures all over a game would do the same lol.

#47 4 days ago

i prefer a stock game (if im buying) as many newbees or just hobbyists may add toys or speakers and mess the game up then want to sell for stupid money.
    or add color leds all over and call it a pro led job and want tons of money..lol. i dont like added wires all over and toys like on stern potc that create balls getting stuck on top of in lane guides (those cannons). etc.
    and mods that you can not lift the play field up to work on a game without having to remove light strips, wires all over with toys on back of play field.

i don't mind powder coat if i do it to my personal likings but i would not do it to a new game. id powder coat an old game that may have rusty coin doors, lock down bars, legs etc so id sandblast and powder coat everything tasteful so its nice again. i powder coat most old SS bally (other) legs etc if they were black to begin with.

#48 4 days ago

BTW- invisible style glass does not work 100%. the above overhead light can shine right off of the play field still. I get very nice clear glass for $25 made and it looks just as good. i just don't see the reasoning behind it. if its on location then i have to worry about someone scratching the $200 piece of glass.

#49 4 days ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

BTW- invisible style glass does not work 100%. the above overhead light can shine right off of the play field still. I get very nice clear glass for $25 made and it looks just as good. i just don't see the reasoning behind it. if its on location then i have to worry about someone scratching the $200 piece of glass.

There is no way in hell I'd put a ($300!!!) piece of glass on location. But at home - your space and lighting situation is very specific to whether or not the Invisiglass/PDI/etc is worthwhile. It's definitely worthwhile at my house. but on location? HELL no

#50 4 days ago

They certainly don't increase the value for me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 10,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 104.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    € 279.00
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 199.99
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 34.99
    Cleaner
    Pinball Pro
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ...redshiftLED
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside