Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vader1979
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Did not get one with my NIB Tron, do these not come with the machines anymore?

#2 11 years ago

Yes, just call stern and tell them. You'll get one

#3 11 years ago

Ive heard only the LE's get manuals now, No worries, this means you will never have any issues with your pro!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Did not get one with my NIB Tron, do these not come with the machines anymore?

LEs ONLY for full manuals. They are available as PDFs on stern's site if you need them

#5 11 years ago

If you could call it a "Manual"......yes.

#6 11 years ago

You don't even get finished code and you want a manual??

#7 11 years ago

Actually found it, was a photocopy...very thin. I was used to the glorious thick and nicely illustrated manuals of the past.

#8 11 years ago

It's not a manual... It's an automatic.....

#9 11 years ago

If you are an early buyer you may not get a full manual

My Batman TDK was mossing pages and all the pages were white
The manual to my IM the page numbers were done by hand

#10 11 years ago

Pros Come with next to no Manual, LE's come with full manual.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

LEs ONLY for full manuals. They are available as PDFs on stern's site if you need them

Where? I remember they used to have all their manuals online Data East / Sega / Stern, but I don't see them.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

it, was a photocopy...very thin.

Yep! That's what I got with my last two NIB Stern's . . . cheap-ass thin photocopy!

#13 11 years ago

LOL Stern is cheap as hell. 5k dosen't get you a full game and a decent manual. What's next? legs sold separately next year? J/k.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Where? I remember they used to have all their manuals online Data East / Sega / Stern, but I don't see them.

All of them aren't there, but you can find most of the newer games by clicking on Service & Support on the front page, then click on Parts.

Haven't looked any any of the newer ones, but the older Stern digital manuals are awesome. More color and details than a regular manual. If there is a digital manual for your Stern, you should download it. Make sure to get all the sections.

#15 11 years ago

Yes, those digital manuals are much better than the Williams of old.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

The manual to my IM the page numbers were done by hand

that was when stern used to employ monk scribes to craft their manuals

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

that was when stern used to employ monk scribes to craft their manuals

out of stone!

#18 11 years ago

Waste of paper. Look at them on line and download what you need. Any smart company should be going this route.

#19 11 years ago

sure do , Manuel's, Maria's, and Hector's

#20 11 years ago

Paper manuals are a pain. It's so much easier to use the digital copy. You also always know where to find it.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Waste of paper. Look at them on line and download what you need. Any smart company should be going this route.

That's great, if you know ahead of time what the problem with a machine in the field is.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

That's great, if you know ahead of time what the problem with a machine in the field is.

Obvioulsy thats a case for printing the manual. Although everyone has a smart phone or Ipad and could bring up any page on the spot as well.

#23 11 years ago

I have a smartphone, not everyone does. and reading a schematic on a 4" screen and having to constantly scroll around and never seeing all of it at one is a crappy way to work. I've done it that way on my machines at home when I don't have a manual, its not the best way by far. It should come with a manual.

#24 11 years ago

How about the Premiums? I agree, a paper manual is way nicer than a digital copy.

#25 11 years ago

You need a hard copy when troubleshooting things like switch and lamp matrix problems. Not a bad idea to print out a copy of each to keep in the game. Only one page each, yet priceless when troubleshooting. Same with electrical problems (schematics). Digital doesn't always cut it.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Look at them on line and download what you need.

I would recommend downloading everything for each of your games. We assume Stern will be in business indefinitely, but you never know. Plus, support for the website has been sketchy over the years. Get them all now while you can.

I have a friend who references a digital manual first before looking at the hard copy, if needed. I guess I'm old school. I prefer a good old fashion paper manual. I don't automatically order a manual though if I acquire a used game without one. WPC's are all alike. Print out switch and lamp matrix pages, digital for everything else. Most of any manual is worthless when you're actually working on the game. I would discourage folks for printing out complete manuals. Only print what you need while you're working on the game. If you print out a whole manual, you'll never use 95% of it.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

How about the Premiums? I agree, a paper manual is way nicer than a digital copy.

Premiums come with a full manual.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I have a smartphone, not everyone does. and reading a schematic on a 4" screen and having to constantly scroll around and never seeing all of it at one is a crappy way to work. I've done it that way on my machines at home when I don't have a manual, its not the best way by far. It should come with a manual.

My point is some folks can use the whole manual, some just need a few important pages and others a once in a while glance on line. By making them available digitally the least waste is created.
Everyone has access to what they need. Thats efficient use of resources. Good for business and good for the planet.

#28 11 years ago

I don't really like the couple of copied pages for the Pro, much prefer the full manual.

I get the whole "green" concept by having it online, but why provide it with the LE and Premium then? The fact that they are out there, but can't get them because you go with a Pro kinda sucks imo.

#29 11 years ago

The manual that came with my Tron:LE is a joke compared to the ones that came with LOTR and SM. It's a bunch of photocopies stapled together. Lame!

#30 11 years ago

I just print the page I need and take it with me to a repair.

#31 11 years ago

Having them available electronically online of course is great. Thumbs up on that.
I agree that some may just want to print out important key pages of info/schematics to have on hand to refer to, and not necessarily print the entire manual.

If a NIB pin (or a new floor demo, etc.) customer wants a paper copy of the full manual, they should be given one at time of purchase, and either shipped with the pin or mailed separately. Of course this requires the salesperson/distributor to provide a bit of customer service and ask customer if they want/need a paper copy.

It's not Stern's job to provide every pinhead on the planet with a paper copy of a manual who wants one, especially with all of the buying/selling/trading of used pins that occurs daily.

Cheers,
MLV

#32 11 years ago

I only currently own a LOTR. Love having the full manual on hand. Maybe I'm old school...but flipping quickly thru the pages...with the print fully legible... helps a lot. I understand being "green"....but how many trees were used in the cabinet? Just saying. Kinda a bumber not getting a full manual with my new tron...:/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Trade
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-manuals-come-with-nib-sterns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.