5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ABT12
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

taylor-swift-legs-3-932x1464.jpg
    legs.JPG
    drink holder.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Just before a mod pulled the plug on the recently-closed MMR troll thread, a good point was brought up:

Larry: "Same legs, same bolts, same levelers, same cabinet, and (lol), same tilt mech. All performed exactly as they did on a WMS MM. Levelers were fixed after a day and the games slid around on that carpet just fine."

Cody: "But are they the same legs? It seemed to me the Sterns ARE more "wobbly" because the legs are either thinner, softer metal or both. This was very apparent when I first got LotR and had a fresh experience to compare to all my other games. It was so prominent I was worried the legs might collapse. Really, they were that flexible. No BS."

--
    To me, it seems that wobbly legs are caused by (worst to least worse): Stripped leg bolts, loose and run-out levelers (especially in front); loose OR run-out levelers, loose leg bolts, or the newer plastic cab protectors... maybe the metal ones but they seem solid. I don't know that I've ever seen a leg flex, but I do know the modern ones are lighter in weight than the old ones. Has anyone ever had to replace legs to reduce wobbliness on a particular game?

#2 5 years ago

Manufacturers make a specific game & cabinet to go with specific legs - to put different legs would be against what the designers of the game originally intended.

As far as wobbly legs - I cant say i've ever experienced a game to be wobbly due to lighter and/or different legs that Stern or any other manufacturer uses.

Remember that most of these games are built to stand up in a commercial environment and the abuse that people can throw at them.

I have seen games where the legs were not tightened properly, causing the game to wobble and eventually causing the leg plates on the inside of the cabinet to come loose; exacerbating the problem further.

#3 5 years ago

To ZZ Top they do, but you have to be female and know how to use them apparently.

On the subject of leg metal though, I have noticed no real difference between stern's games and anything else as far as robustness is concerned.

#5 5 years ago

I've shoved the heck out my Tron and Metallica, never felt any give or wobble in the legs.

From a cosmetic standpoint, I don't understand why Stern legs are 2" longer than WMS and attach so high on the cabinet. Looks a little goofy in the front to me. Those two inches add up to a lot of extra metal expense over the years.

#6 5 years ago

Only time I have experienced crazy wobbles on a game was on a CP way back when Scandia in Fairfield, CA had a huge collection (Albiet poorly maintained.)

Upon inspection, all of the bolts had been replaced with industrial bolts, and I am guessing had nuts installed. So my guess was the plates had been stripped, and the cheapest fix was to send some guy out (who bought too long of bolts) and stuck nuts on the end.

How do I know they were too long? You could pull them all out about 1/4-1/2" before they would stop.

As far as different style legs cause the game to not play properly.....Not in my experience. Ever. With the exception of my HS and GnR, I don't think any of my games have the 'proper' style legs.

#7 5 years ago

All the BS nonsense about low stern quality is absurd. It scared me away from buying a stern for years, now I have a TWD and love it.

#8 5 years ago

Troll was insinuating MMR is using Stern parts.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

Troll was insinuating MMR is using Stern parts.

What difference does it make, you can now buy a brand new MMR in perfect condition for less then 10 grand - I could care less what stern parts are on them.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

What difference does it make, you can now buy a brand new MMR in perfect condition for less then 10 grand - I could care less what stern parts are on them.

True , but why let all this misinformation stand uncorrected ?

#11 5 years ago

I dont know what you ladies do, but I like to bend a leg every morning after breakfast, but before my Charles Atlas workout.

#12 5 years ago

Actually I just got done bending some legs.

#14 5 years ago

Nothing beats a great pair of legs

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I've shoved the heck out my Tron and Metallica, never felt any give or wobble in the legs.
    From a cosmetic standpoint, I don't understand why Stern legs are 2" longer than WMS and attach so high on the cabinet. Looks a little goofy in the front to me. Those two inches add up to a lot of extra metal expense over the years.

Speaking of... Who makes (uses) the SHORTEST legs? I got a Spring Break and it's annoying how much higher it sits than all the other machines. SYS80B leg holes are about as far down as you can get them... easier to find shorter legs than re-tap?

#16 5 years ago

FWIW, that's not my claim, it was a quote

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Speaking of... Who makes (uses) the SHORTEST legs? I got a Spring Break and it's annoying how much higher it sits than all the other machines. SYS80B leg holes are about as far down as you can get them... easier to find shorter legs than re-tap?

Gottlieb 1976-1990 and some up to 1995 used 27" legs

#18 5 years ago

Legs are important
    Playing pinball on you knees is not fun, and it is hard to turn the game on

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

27" I believe. I had to use some to get my FH to fit in my grandma's basement. You might be able to find a short set used for Punchy, but it might be cheaper to have a metal shop customize some for you.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

FWIW, that's not my claim, it was a quote

Yeah I know, didn't mean to make it seem otherwise when I was quoting you quoting it.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Legs are important
    Playing pinball on you knees is not fun, and it is hard to turn the game on

muffles the cab speaker too.

#22 5 years ago

Unless it's an optical illusion, the Stern legs are thinner than legs from the early 80s era. Could someone hold an 80s chrome leg next to a Stern leg and see if there is a discernible difference?

Maybe measure them with a caliper? [edit] Put them on a scale?

I remember Monopoly being kind of squishy-legged as well.

Maybe they have improved their legs. I don't remember my Spidey being squishy.

I can tell/notice when bolts are loose and levelers are wallowed out.

PS: I was not trying to put Stern down. It is just an observation I had. I like Stern games, mostly.

#23 5 years ago

I have a 1980/81 Flash Gordon right next to a 2013 Metallica. Play them both all the time. There is zero "squishiness" to the Metallica. My Star Trek is right next to The Shadow. Zero difference. It's just silly.

They're metal legs! They don't wobble. I mean FFS, just think about that. You don't think anyone would have noticed by now? I have EMs, early solid state, Sytem 11, WPC, WPC 95, modern Sterns. No leg differences that you can notice or feel.

I call total bullshit on the entire thing, from first hand, every day experience.

#24 5 years ago

Nay legs don't matter its what is between them that you play with anyways.

#25 5 years ago

I find data east games a little harder to nudge. The leg shape creates a bit of a wider base

#26 5 years ago

I'd agree some what, the modern sterns I've played (mainly avengers, acdc, twd) feel much more wobbly compared to earlier sterns (lotr rbion) and other manufacturers. I'm not saying the legs are weaker or made any differently just that the machine seems easier to nudge and move around on it's legs.

#27 5 years ago

That may be due to the metal cab protectors. There's less contact between the leg and cabinet with them

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I have a 1980/81 Flash Gordon right next to a 2013 Metallica. Play them both all the time. There is zero "squishiness" to the Metallica. My Star Trek is right next to The Shadow. Zero difference. It's just silly.
    They're metal legs! They don't wobble. I mean FFS, just think about that. You don't think anyone would have noticed by now? I have EMs, early solid state, Sytem 11, WPC, WPC 95, modern Sterns. No leg differences that you can notice or feel.
    I call total bullshit on the entire thing, from first hand, every day experience.

Well, like I said, they may have improved them since Monopoly. I admit it may all be in my head, but I'd like to see a leg from a monopoly weighed/measured against a 70s - 80s chrome leg.

My observation, too, is based on first hand, every day experience, several years ago. Things may have changed since then. Since you don't have an older Stern, it's a moot point you're making. I granted earlier the legs may have changed.

No offense intended.

I am not trying to harp on a perceived defect on Stern's part. It was just an observation. I didn't make it up. If you are implying I am lying, you are wrong.

#29 5 years ago

I have really noticed no difference in the leg quality across all the manufacturers. If the leg bolts are tight then the feel of the pin is stiffer and less accepting of a "nudge". I will say this, I have noticed at a friends place where he installed the drink holders off one of the legs that there was a slight increase in wobbliness.

drink holder.jpg

#30 5 years ago

And not one photo of a chick with nice legs yet... you guys just aren't the same anymore!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Well, like I said, they may have improved them since Monopoly. I admit it may all be in my head, but I'd like to see a leg from a Monopoly weighed/measured against a 70s - 80s chrome leg.
    My observation, too, is based on first hand, every day experience, several years ago. Things may have changed since then. Since you don't have an older Stern, it's a moot point you're making. I granted earlier the legs may have changed.
    No offense intended.
    I am not trying to harp on a perceived defect on Stern's part. It was just an observation. I didn't make it up. If you are implying I am lying, you are wrong.

I have my friend's TSPP right now too, same thing.

Sorry man, you played games that had stripped bolts or something. These are metal legs, they're not flexible. It defies reason.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

And not one photo of a chick with nice legs yet... you guys just aren't the same anymore!

Haha -- what legs do you prefer??

legs.JPG
    #33 5 years ago

ah, legs like the one on the left are common....

a nice shiny set of pinball legs, otoh...

edit: the whole "flexing legs" thing is silly... they would flex constantly then...

#34 5 years ago

I wouldnt marry a woman's with no legs but id definitely bang an amputee ,at least once to say i tried it

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

got in trouble with the moderators

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

got in trouble with the moderators

Wow

#38 5 years ago

Dislike her music, dislike just about everything about her in all honesty, but will admit she's got THE nicest legs I know of.
    taylor-swift-legs-3-932x1464.jpg

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I have my friend's TSPP right now too, same thing.
    Sorry man, you played games that had stripped bolts or something. These are metal legs, they're not flexible. It defies reason.

Pinball legs (ALL of them) ARE flexible...or perhaps I should say "twistable". When you try to remove rusted levelers with the leg in a vise, torqueing down on that bolt will flex the leg. I only have experience with this on older legs as none of my Sterns were rusted up.

The legs absolutely do flex, without question. Whether or not one does more than the other, or if they actually flex during play, or if the older legs are made of higher quality steel...?

Without trying to slam Stern again; just an observation: If they were trying to cut the BOM and could shave some off by making legs slightly thinner or of lower quality steel, is that something Stern could even remotely consider? Just asking, not trying to start a war.

I will let it go since I can't perform any measurements or tests to prove my experience.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Dislike her music, dislike just about everything about her in all honesty, but will admit she's got THE nicest legs I know of.
    taylor-swift-legs-3-932x1464.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

took me a few seconds (ok, more than a few) to look up from the legs to see the face and realize that it was the hated taylor...

#41 5 years ago

Gorgeous.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 164.00
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.95
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 45.00
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 349.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 50.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    Boards
    PinSound
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 179.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside