Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jesster64
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    slot2_(resized).jpg
    slot1_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Friend of my Mom has an old slot machine, Mom asking if I want it. I don't know anything about slots, can't say I'm a fan, but it might be interesting in the basement by the Pins & Arcade. Here is all I know:
    - Apparently German and accepts German coins
    - I guess it's EM, or just M?
    - Used to work, does not now
    - Believes it to be complete
    - Hangs on wall, needs to be balanced

Kind of creepy with the clown, I have no familiarity. Anyone know anything about this thing, is it desirable, does it look complete?

She's looking for an offer, already said I wouldn't offer much if anything, not sure I want it and would have to fix.

Could possibly connect somebody else if they wanted maybe. Any info to help push me for or against?

slot1_(resized).jpgslot1_(resized).jpg

slot2_(resized).jpgslot2_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I wouldn't want it. It might be a cool collector piece, though.

#3 8 years ago

free yes , money no

#5 8 years ago

I totally misread this thread title, saw a U and not an O at first.

#6 8 years ago

Hopefully Pinsider MrBally will chime in. I seem to remember he collects one type of German slot. He probably knows enough about the others to give you any info you might need.

#7 8 years ago

Appreciate the info so far all.

Quoted from practicalsteve:

I totally misread this thread title, saw a U and not an O at first.

Answer should always be NO on that one Steve!

#8 8 years ago

Yes take it. If you don't like it ...pass on the good deal to a Pinsider who may really want to revive it. I like it. Very cool looking just for the art aspect, let alone being a functional slot.

#9 8 years ago

Wife might be nixing due to the creepy clown vibe... Let me know if anyone else is wanting it in the NJ area!

#10 8 years ago

I have several from this time period.

If you are not a purist, and dont care, the clown "skin" should come off, and there usually is beautiful wood veneer below.
    The 3 castings can be polished, and or plated. Or simply Brass or Chrome painted. The instruction card goes above, with the button being a restart, if your fast. Nice sounding payoffs, they can sometimes be converted pretty easy to US half dollars.
    Most of the ones I have had were English Penny.

Restored, they can bring $500-$700 depending on theme and condition.
    $50-$150 as the clown stands....

Restored to an old wood finish, they look quite sweet,

#11 8 years ago

Thanks OldPin,
    Seeing if I can get for free or what she is looking for. If more than just a couple $$ I'll pass

#12 8 years ago

The "1D" most likely stands for one old (pre-1971) British penny. The "D"was a hangover from "Denarius" (Roman coinage).

#13 8 years ago

Wood looks good from the backside, a bit harder here to find parts.
    See if it works and pays out.
    The Payout lever is at 9 o'clock on the mech usually right next to the reel.
    You should be able to trip by hand.

If its all there, it should be a weekend restore, and in the right neighborhood, well the wealthy can spend
    almost anything.

It lends itself from black and chrome, to deco green, to wood stain.....Pretty much a blank canvas.

Hope you get it and share pics, if I get a chance at the office, Ill post the one I have...

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have several from this time period.
    If you are not a purist, and dont care, the clown "skin" should come off, ...

Jeeze Art. The clown was creepy enough as is, and now you tell us that it's skin should come off?!?

#16 8 years ago

Hi Rando,
    I'm also registered with the coinopcollectorforum. Besides my active interest in Ems/woodrails and prewars on Pinside, I also collect watches, stereo equipment, cameras, slot machines and trade stimulators.

So you should know, as most of the people on Pinside talk about Gottlieb, Williams, Bally and perhaps Genco and Chicago Coin as their manufacturers of choice, the folks on coinop... talk about Watling, Jennings, Mills and Caille as their particular brand. This is not to say that an off brand isn't of interest, but it doesn't get the same amount of hype as others.

The general thought is that if you can get it up and running, even on foreign coins, it's a great novelty piece. If for "small money" (which is different from individual to individual), but I'll state no more than a few hundred dollars, then it's a good thing to have. Some slots, EMs, etc., command thousands of dollars because of their rarity and desirability, and you have to be careful treading into those waters to get something that may not have a secondary market to which you may not readily appeal.

One thing I think I can state for all of us, is that we all enjoy vintage mechanics and the thrill of finding something old, unique and fun. If you can get it for a price that doesn't break the bank and you can have fun cleaning and restoring, it....then go for it. This is what the hobby is all about.

Good luck

#17 8 years ago

It looks like something that'd be neat as a wall hanger if you have the space. PM machines in general are usually easy to get working as long as they are complete, though that game would probably get boring after about a minute of playing.

#18 8 years ago

you ain't kidding that clown would keep me from buying for sure, and I collect antique slots . . .

BEWARE OF THE CLOWN ( there's your sign )

Quoted from EvanDickson:

Jeeze Art. The clown was creepy enough as is, and now you tell us that it's skin should come off?!?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Hopefully Pinsider MrBally will chime in. I seem to remember he collects one type of German slot. He probably knows enough about the others to give you any info you might need.

That looks like a Guenter Wulff wall mounted slot machine at first glance. However, the casting surrounding the reels appears inset (the red painted parts) and on Wulff machines, those were raised. The payout cup/bowl casting looks like a Wulff machine. The handle does not look like a Wulff machine but perhaps this is a conversion kit to make an older machine appear new. These were made from 1950-1955. I'm not aware of a "Big Top named machine by them but again, a conversion kit with a new face and handle is a possibility. The instruction card in the cabinet might help determine the brand.

If indeed the instructions or marks on internal castings or the reels indicate the machine was made by Wulff, I'd pay $300.00 for it as-is, as shown. I'd need to pick it up in a couple of months but would send half to hold it. Rando, if you don't want it but could arrange a sale, send me a PM.

FYI, The company was bought by Bally in 1974 and renamed Bally Wulff. Guenter Wulff and Harry Koebke were kept in place in Berlin to run the company. Hans Kloss took over after Guenter Wulff passed away.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Rando, if you don't want it but could arrange a sale, send me a PM.

Reaching out to see what she's thinking about for pricing and accessibility. Will send you PM as follow-up, thanks.

#21 8 years ago

I would paint it up like a coke can, or a beer fridge.

#22 8 years ago

Ach with the coulrophobia already! I'm beginning to think the presidential candidates should adopt banning clowns as a campaign issue, and the one who does will surely win! With all the ghoulish and horrific imagery around these days, it's clowns people fear? Gimme a break!

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Ach with the coulrophobia already! I'm beginning to think the presidential candidates should adopt banning clowns as a campaign issue, and the one who does will surely win! With all the ghoulish and horrific imagery around these days, it's clowns people fear? Gimme a break!

sounds like someone likes creeper clowns

#24 8 years ago

Had a friend deliver this to Vegas. The right one. Never knew how much these were worth.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#25 8 years ago

It is truly amazing what those fetch.

#26 8 years ago

looks like some new feet and other parts on there - very nice - but I'll guess that the one on the left is worth more . . .

#27 8 years ago

Don't know much about them. This was for his winter home. Makes me feel better about buying pins

#29 8 years ago

Oops.

#30 8 years ago

I'm interested in it. I'm currently working on a german roto wheel. I think its running, just need some german coins to find out. My grandmother had one in her bar I used to love playing. The roto wheel, not the clown. The clown would make a good companion piece though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-i-want-this-old-slot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.