Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JohnTTwo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20220206_122558 (resized).jpg
    C17416C4-6148-4056-A201-DA86BA2B8A63 (resized).jpeg

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Just got back in town and ready to open My GZLE.

Night I got back someone reached out to Me to make the trade but I have to give Him $4500 cash.

I've never played POTC and haven't played Godzilla LE... is POTC LE that much better than Godzilla LE?

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

If you paid retail for the GZLE, that is a damn fine trade IMO. I liked Godzilla a lot, but POTC is another level all together. They are still going for 20k depending on mods.

#3 2 years ago

Sure, why not?

#4 2 years ago

No, I wouldn’t. Although pirates is a very good game, it has A LOT of issues and who knows if you can even get some of those parts still.

#5 2 years ago

That reminds me of a German children’s story, “Hans im Glueck” where Hans trades one item after the other and ends up with a very bad value after everything is said and done.

JJPOTC LE MSRP was $9500. GZ LE was $10499.

So if you, let’s call you Hans, paid $10499 for your GZ and the other person paid $9500 for their POTC, then you end up with a used POTC for effectively $14999 and the other person with a brand new GZ LE for $5000.

Great deal, GZ LE for $5000 LOL!!!

#6 2 years ago

Of course!

#7 2 years ago

From a current value standpoint you would make out better on the deal to make the trade. For gameplay I really like Godzilla better. I had a chance to play pirates yesterday at an arcade and it is not for me. Wide body and feels like it shoots really slow. But to be fair it is very deep and I think has to be in your home to understand the rules. Godzilla on the other hand, walk up to the machine….. right ramp, left ramp, scoop and battle begins. Much more intuitive to start with. Plus it shoots great.

I would make the trade, play pirates for awhile, sell it and buy a Godzilla premium for 9K, use the remaining funds to buy another premium but that’s just my 2 cents

#8 2 years ago

When you look at it from a pure dollar standpoint, I say it’s a no brainer. I’d take the Pirates and not look back.

#9 2 years ago

Yes.

POTC is around $20,000-$25,000 and Godzilla is $14,000-17,000.

I know someone who will sell their Godzilla for $14,000 right now.

Will JJP ever remake POTC ?? If you really love Godzilla get your name in for a NIB premium

#10 2 years ago

I love POTC. This one is a no brainer for me. I would rather have POTC over any Stern. It will be much more collectible in the long run, especially if in the end they never make more.

#11 2 years ago

Tell him 3500 cash and Godzilla and you will never look back even if you put it up for sale for 18k in 6 months you have your money back

#12 2 years ago

I have both. Godzilla is a better game. That said, I would think $3500 would be my # if I was on the Godzilla side of things.
    Zilla can sell for $15k and POTC LE has a wide range but can be found for $18.5k.
    The fact that could always get a Zilla premium would weight in for me too.
    I’m not sure I could do that before taking it out of the box and putting 100 plays on it.

#13 2 years ago

Trade for the POTC. Take it home, enjoy it for a month and post it for sale. Take money and buy Godzilla LE and have 3-5k leftover. Go for it dude.

#14 2 years ago

I find these recommendations to buy the pirates a bit strange. They all assume that you can fairly easily get $20k, just place an add on pinside and voila, $20k in the bank.

In reality, you will have to deal with a total stranger who is supposed to give you A LOT of money. It’s not just 5k or 10k but twenty thousand US Dollars?!

That’s an amount, where just handing it over “cash on glass” is fraught with risks. And then it’s a game with known issues. I personally would go over a $20k game with a microscope because that better be a flawless collectible and not have any problems like pooling or lifted artwork.

How many POTCs sell for $20k+ quickly? Is that a real, common price or a rare-as-hen’s teeth deal on pinside that people only know in theory?

#15 2 years ago

There are no games quite like Pirates. Go for it!

#16 2 years ago

So if you bought Godzilla LE for $10.5k and add in another $4.5k you’ll be all in on POTC for $15k. Not a bad deal IF you just want to flip it. But if you really want to play the game IMO Godzilla is the better deal at $10.5k as it’s much better.

#17 2 years ago

Don't overthink it. Keep the better game. I definitely wouldn't pay somebody to take it from you. Think about that for a second. You're going to pay somebody to take a game from you that has a shot at being the goat and will probably be completed before the game your getting btw.

#18 2 years ago

Owned potc for years and have had godzilla premium since early Dec. Godzilla Is a much better playing pin and is just more fun . Potc is deep with
    neat toys/mechs and once u learn the rules has lots to accomplish but it's much slower and doesn't flow like godzilla. Also apparently jjp is supposedly announcing another run of potc at Texas show? Who knows tho lol. Do the trade ...play it for a bit then get a godzilla premium with the profit? Of course if jjp does make more the price may go down on them...

#19 2 years ago

Does the Potc have a perfect pf?

#20 2 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely not about the $$$.

Think I'm gonna pass on POTC and open the Godzilla LE.

I have a GnR LE and I really don't like the sluggish feel it has when You play it. Also saw one list last night for under $20K so they appear to have stabilized in price.

There must be a reason Godzilla is still #1 on Pinside top 100.

#21 2 years ago

Godzilla is by far the better game. Keep it and enjoy.

#22 2 years ago

I have a pirates CE and a GZLE. GZLE is a better game by far.

#23 2 years ago

The rumor is JJP will be announcing another pirates run at TPF. That's been reported by Knapp arcade and originally by Kaneda. Also I heard something about JJP doing another WOZ run meaning they can run wide bodies. Anyway, all of that may not be true but if it were me I would be holding off in case that run of pirates is announced, or gamble and say it has to be a straight trade.

I just saw a pirates listed yesterday for I think $19,000. A friend here in Ohio recently had one listed for under $18,000.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely not about the $$$.
    Think I'm gonna pass on POTC and open the Godzilla LE.
    I have a GnR LE and I really don't like the sluggish feel it has when You play it. Also saw one list last night for under $20K so they appear to have stabilized in price.
    There must be a reason Godzilla is still #1 on Pinside top 100.

Cool! I think GZLE is the better game. Pirates may be worth more for now but the code and gameplay on GZLE is significantly better IMO. Pirates is held back by a repetitive ruleset that is limited by only every hearing 1 callout voice, no movie clips with actors, and no audio clips with actors. There's 100+ chapter modes but they all pretty much play the same (hit the character shots and only hear 1 callout voice.). Pirates is a great game and likely would have gone down as one of the best pins of all time if it had the proper licensed assets.

#25 2 years ago

Get the game you like more. And money wise, that needs to be an even trade considering JJP is supposed to make more POTCs.

#26 2 years ago

I had a POTC. Loved it for the first several months. Only drawback is the modes are all the same (collect characters) and that got stale after a while. It was a good game at the original price, but nowhere near worth $20k+

#27 2 years ago

Trade it only if you’re considering buying another GZ Prem/LE

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Get the game you like more. And money wise, that needs to be an even trade considering JJP is supposed to make more POTCs.

I agree with this. With the recent rumors, I think it is the absolute wrong time to be paying up for a POTC.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

That reminds me of a German children’s story, “Hans im Glueck” where Hans trades one item after the other and ends up with a very bad value after everything is said and done.
    JJPOTC LE MSRP was $9500. GZ LE was $10499.
    So if you, let’s call you Hans, paid $10499 for your GZ and the other person paid $9500 for their POTC, then you end up with a used POTC for effectively $14999 and the other person with a brand new GZ LE for $5000.
    Great deal, GZ LE for $5000 LOL!!!

I find this to be fascinating. Mostly because this is actually about the current values of the games, not what one person or the other paid for them. A couple of my games have been in my house more than 10 years. The price I paid for them is meaningless to their current market value.

As for the original question, I'd say no, do not do the swap. I find GZ more fun to play. POTC is fine, but I just can't put the value for that at 20k unless money is no object. I can't think of a single game that gives me 20k worth of fun.

#30 2 years ago

POTC is super overrated. I haven't seen one sell for 20k for a long time and even back then it was pretty rare that they were selling for that much. They'd just sit around forever just waiting for some sucker to pony up the cash. Maybe I'm wrong but thats just what I've seen. Godzilla is a way better game. You made the right choice.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I find this to be fascinating. Mostly because this is actually about the current values of the games, not what one person or the other paid for them.

Well, one point of the story is to be careful with your trades. What is “value”?!

There is no regulated pinball stock exchange so all these “game X is worth $Yk” are extremely volatile and unverifiable numbers. Yeah, someone may sell MMr for $25k (like that current ad on pinside) but that doesn’t mean that the prevailing value of this game is $25k.

With POTC, a commercial flop for JJP with unfinished code and Mirco’s playfield issues, the value is extremely volatile. Yes, some may have sold for $20k and with less than 1000 worldwide, it’s the rare as hen’s teeth effect that some sell for $20k+. This will go poof if JJP decides to make more, which will happen, if there’s a *real* demand because the R&D on that pin must have been insane and I can’t imagine they made profit on selling so few.

So I personally feel it’s a total Hans im Glueck situation, where one may trade an item with much more stable and justified value (the #1 pin that gets rave reviews, from the leader in this market) for a “seemingly better” item with questionable value (currently rare unfinished pin that may not be so rare anymore, losing the main source of value for this pin, rarity).

Extra risky, if JJP fixes the playfield problems for the new builds.

I know the OP claimed it’s not about money but that seems bizarre, given that both, GZ LE & POTC LE are $$$$$$$ pins and the original question included a value statement (is it worth trade + $4500 cash?).

#32 2 years ago

Glad Op weighed in with his decision. He’s happy and that’s what matters. Where’s the pics?

While GZLE is a slightly better game, I would have traded for the JJPOTC. It is UNIQUE. It is FUN. And it is HARDTOFINDONETOPLAY. GZ prem is as good as the GZLE and it can be found everywhere (once Stern builds and ships them). The breadth of code in JJPOTC makes it 2-3 great games in one.

The best part of having a JJPOTC at home is …. you can adjust everything to your liking. You can use headphones or blast it out the speakers. You can play it in the dark or turn up overhead lights. Also offers so many adjustments in the game menu and with billions of combinations of gameplay, makes this game worth $25k imo. I wouldn’t consider selling my modded one for less than $30k. Of course, people get tired of things and one day I will want to sell it, and that price might fall to $12k, which I have invested. Isn’t it funny how the value of an item can fluctuate so much, while it can be appreciated at a consistent level? Families with kids that buy a JJPOTC can expect to play and enjoy it for the next 50 years. With each new generation discovering it. I’ll bet JJPOTC technology holds up with repairs and will still be considered to have an updated “feeling”.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Glad Op weighed in with his decision. He’s happy and that’s what matters. Where’s the pics?
    While GZLE is a slightly better game, I would have traded for the JJPOTC. It is UNIQUE. It is FUN. And it is HARDTOFINDONETOPLAY. GZ prem is as good as the GZLE and it can be found everywhere (once Stern builds and ships them). The breadth of code in JJPOTC makes it 2-3 great games in one.

Personally I dislike the Potc code…too grinding with too many multi balls. The strongest aspect of Potc is the mechanical toys. Of course this is all personal preference.

#34 2 years ago

Both are great games in different ways, but I would have said to trade. GZ Premiums will be made for years and will eventually be widely available. It's the same game as the LE. They also made 1000 LEs whereas there are only 1000 POTCs total. Even if they do another run, which I doubt, it won't be in large numbers or at a modest price point.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Well, one point of the story is to be careful with your trades. What is “value”?!
    There is no regulated pinball stock exchange so all these “game X is worth $Yk” are extremely volatile and unverifiable numbers. Yeah, someone may sell MMr for $25k (like that current ad on pinside) but that doesn’t mean that the prevailing value of this game is $25k.
    With POTC, a commercial flop for JJP with unfinished code and Mirco’s playfield issues, the value is extremely volatile. Yes, some may have sold for $20k and with less than 1000 worldwide, it’s the rare as hen’s teeth effect that some sell for $20k+. This will go poof if JJP decides to make more, which will happen, if there’s a *real* demand because the R&D on that pin must have been insane and I can’t imagine they made profit on selling so few.
    So I personally feel it’s a total Hans im Glueck situation, where one may trade an item with much more stable and justified value (the #1 pin that gets rave reviews, from the leader in this market) for a “seemingly better” item with questionable value (currently rare unfinished pin that may not be so rare anymore, losing the main source of value for this pin, rarity).
    Extra risky, if JJP fixes the playfield problems for the new builds.
    I know the OP claimed it’s not about money but that seems bizarre, given that both, GZ LE & POTC LE are $$$$$$$ pins and the original question included a value statement (is it worth trade + $4500 cash?).

Ugh...this is one reason why I am starting to hate this hobby.

#36 2 years ago

Question:

Would this decision be much harder if JJP completed the code?

I’m not a POTC owner, had limited play and curious if this changed peoples decisions.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The best part of having a JJPOTC at home is …. you can adjust everything to your liking. You can use headphones or blast it out the speakers. You can play it in the dark or turn up overhead lights. Also offers so many adjustments in the game menu and with billions of combinations of gameplay, makes this game worth $25k imo. I wouldn’t consider selling my modded one for less than $30k. Of course, people get tired of things and one day I will want to sell it, and that price might fall to $12k, which I have invested. Isn’t it funny how the value of an item can fluctuate so much, while it can be appreciated at a consistent level? Families with kids that buy a JJPOTC can expect to play and enjoy it for the next 50 years. With each new generation discovering it. I’ll bet JJPOTC technology holds up with repairs and will still be considered to have an updated “feeling”.

Here's the pics!!! Please drive down and help Me with this mess. Atlanta is an easy drive.

And Rush LE is still coming also!!! We've been traveling a lot since Covid died down and pinball is just not a priority right now. I sell some machines and then the addiction occurs and I buy more than I sold!

Also have Lebowski and CCrLE on order. Went to My Doctor and no pills available for this addiction.

#38 2 years ago

You’ve jumped in too far too fast. Would love to compare notes sometime.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Question:
    Would this decision be much harder if JJP completed the code?
    I’m not a POTC owner, had limited play and curious if this changed peoples decisions.

Not for me. I'm a POTC owner and I love Elwin's games. Had an Iron Maiden and still have Jurassic Park. I really enjoy Godzilla, but for me, JJPPOTC is just something special. It always clicked for me since I first played it. It's a perfect home environment game where you can really figure out what to do and how to do it. I was still figuring out things about the game months after owning it. People complain about the unfinished wizard mode and code, but *very* few people have ever been able to play through all the movie wizard modes to even get to the point of where the missing final wizard mode would be. And that's if all you have to do is play them, God help us if Keith makes it so you have to complete them. I've played them all personally twice ever and I still don't get bored of the game. There is just so much to do over so many characters and so many ways to do it. And setting up the big scores is so difficult with all the steps you need to take without making a mistake or draining. I would like updated code and I know it is coming, but I am patient to wait. Even if it never came, it wouldn't change my opinion of the game and I would never trade it for Godzilla even with cash because I think it is that good.

#40 2 years ago

Both, amen.

C17416C4-6148-4056-A201-DA86BA2B8A63 (resized).jpegC17416C4-6148-4056-A201-DA86BA2B8A63 (resized).jpeg
    #41 2 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Not for me. I'm a POTC owner and I love Elwin's games. Had an Iron Maiden and still have Jurassic Park. I really enjoy Godzilla, but for me, JJPPOTC is just something special. It always clicked for me since I first played it. It's a perfect home environment game where you can really figure out what to do and how to do it. I was still figuring out things about the game months after owning it. People complain about the unfinished wizard mode and code, but *very* few people have ever been able to play through all the movie wizard modes to even get to the point of where the missing final wizard mode would be. And that's if all you have to do is play them, God help us if Keith makes it so you have to complete them. I've played them all personally twice ever and I still don't get bored of the game. There is just so much to do over so many characters and so many ways to do it. And setting up the big scores is so difficult with all the steps you need to take without making a mistake or draining. I would like updated code and I know it is coming, but I am patient to wait. Even if it never came, it wouldn't change my opinion of the game and I would never trade it for Godzilla even with cash because I think it is that good.

Agree with what you’ve said. Op is familiar with JJP titles as he owns a few, so why he doesn’t buy a JJPOTC is the real question we should be asking. No way anybody could play to and start the final wizard mode, and if they did I am sure they wouldn’t be too upset as they would have presumably been having a great time for 30-60 minutes. When you have a game that wants to be explored, you explore it.

Do you want to see how deep you can go down the rabbit hole? Set it to 10 balls a game and find out. Or how about choosing a 4-player game and stealing and robbing from the other players? JJPOTC has so much flexibility and ways to play it. I’d say it offers more than any other pin. What I like about each of JJP’s games.

WOZ - multiple lcd’s, rgb lighting, 2 “fun’” upper playfields, deep code.
    Hobbit - incredible assets, player defined #balls & mode, multi-staged mini-wizard modes & killing Smaug.
    DI - best Lawlor layout, lots of objectives & get your mommy-jeans fetish on.
    JJPOTC - best toys, physical game, wide code & endless possibilities.
    Wonka - theme, great Lawlor layout & Wonkavator multi ball.
    GNR - assets, concert in a box, music, light shows timed to beat & earning encores.

There is something for everybody to like.

#42 2 years ago

Pirates will only go up in value over the years because they will never make more.Godzilla will drop or hold at a lower price than Pirates because stern will make as many Premiums as they can sell and it's the exact game play as the LE. Both games are great home games to own and each has their own style of play but the chance to get a Pirates is worth a Godzilla Le and get a premium down the line.

Just have to say Pirates is its own special thing that we don't get to see in pinball much.Maybe it's due to cost or time and effort manufacturers can put into games to make money but it's a great game to have in a collection.
    Jeff said it right for the players that want to go deep into a game or play a 3 hour experience. You just won't get that from stern, and that's ok They are just two different beast.

"Do you want to see how deep you can go down the rabbit hole? Set it to 10 balls a game and find out. Or how about choosing a 4-player game and stealing and robbing from the other players? JJPOTC has so much flexibility and ways to play it. I’d say it offers more than any other pin. What I like about each of JJP’s games."

#43 2 years ago

Not sure why people say they will never run more, just a matter of time. It is a very long game to play, however, and the modes are pretty similar, unlike other widebody games such as TZ. But it is a beautiful game, and a trade for GZ isn't a bad idea.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from dts:

Not sure why people say they will never run more, just a matter of time. It is a very long game to play, however, and the modes are pretty similar, unlike other widebody games such as TZ. But it is a beautiful game, and a trade for GZ isn't a bad idea.

My thought is JJP cant even make the games they have in their pocket.
    They been making GNR since oct 2020.
    They have 2 games ready to produce when they finish GNR.
    They also have 4 game designers on staff, 3 if Pat retires after toy story.
    I doubt if Steve switched from Stern to JJP and not want to see his games produced. Eric is to talented to not see more games from him. JJP will sell a ton of anything they put out and if they spend 2 years producing each game they are busy for the next 8 -10 years and have no reason to go back and do a remake with so much money invested in designing new games. I hope they do make more someday, but my guess it they won't have the time or need.

#45 2 years ago

I have both. I think they are both too good to choose just one. If you can afford it get both.

20220206_122558 (resized).jpg20220206_122558 (resized).jpg
    #46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I doubt if Steve switched from Stern to JJP and not want to see his games produced. Eric is to talented to not see more games from him. JJP will sell a ton of anything they put out and if they spend 2 years producing each game they are busy for the next 8 -10 years and have no reason to go back and do a remake with so much money invested in designing new games. I hope they do make more someday, but my guess it they won't have the time or need.

?? Usually companies in a capitalist economy align over time with demand. You assume that they don’t want to grow. Growth is typically one of the core values of companies in the USA.

If there is demand for a game, chances are it will get made. POTC is a bit of a mystery to me. It seems to have been a flop or why did they only make a handful?
    It’s too young to be a collectible classic and the manufacturer is still in business. The only logical business reason for JJP to not make more is if they think they can’t make a profit. Which may very well be true because all “we” know is that a handful of machines exchange hands for a lot of money but that doesn’t mean it would sell in numbers necessary for JJP to invest in another build and be profitable.

Them having other designs ready to build and a business outlook that indicates that they can sell enough basically means they could/should invest in more production resources to satisfy the market and make a lot of money. Like any corporation would.

#47 2 years ago

I just read from knapparcade their is a strong rumor pirates us going to be remade and announce at TPF. If it’s true it shows you what I know “nothing “ lol.
    https://www.knapparcade.org/post/rumor-jersey-jack-pinball-will-announce-another-run-of-pirates-at-tpf

#48 2 years ago

Hell no! GZ is the better game and the batshit prices sellers are asking for Pirates will crash if it gets remade. In fact, there's a rumor JJP will announce another run of POTC this weekend at TPF. No pin is worth 20k. Run away.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

No pin is worth 20k. Run away.

What about Supreme? (just joking).

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crumbalimb:

Agreed. And with 2 new titles ready to go, JJP can build as many and as fast as they can for 2 years. JJP is not going backwards.

Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I just read from knapparcade their is a strong rumor pirates us going to be remade and announce at TPF. If it’s true it shows you what I know “nothing “ lol.
    https://www.knapparcade.org/post/rumor-jersey-jack-pinball-will-announce-another-run-of-pirates-at-tpf

That’s a fake rumor. Jason says up front in his article he has not heard anything about it from his credible sources. It is a story that we want to come true, so we don’t care that if it is made up. In three days we will hear Jack announce Toy Story.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-i-trade-godzilla-le-for-potc-le?hl=crumbalimb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.