Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

101_1229_(resized).JPG
    101_1228_(resized).JPG
    101_1226_(resized).JPG
    101_1227_(resized).JPG
    101_1225_(resized).JPG
    101_1224_(resized).JPG
    101_1223_(resized).JPG
    101_1222_(resized).JPG
    101_1221_(resized).JPG
    101_1220_(resized).JPG
    101_1219_(resized).JPG
    101_1218_(resized).JPG
    101_1217_(resized).JPG
    101_1216_(resized).JPG
    101_1215_(resized).JPG
    101_1214_(resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I finished my LOTR about 2 months ago and have played it like 10 times, So busy with work and shopping pins that I found I don't really have the time. Its either I sell my LOTR or I sell a sega HD, or T3. I have so much going on and need to free up some cash What would you do?

#2 7 years ago

My guess is LOTR would sell pretty quick if you need fast cash. Bummer you've only got a few games on it. Really fun pin but you need time to play it sometimes. I hardly play mine anymore as I gravitate to the more brutal quick pins and also have hobbit which is much longer playing and overall I like it better anyhow (sacrilege I know but I've also owned lotr 3 years). I don't know anything about the other two options. Another nice thing about selling your LOTR is that one should be easy to find again in the future if you so desire.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

I finished my LOTR about 2 months ago and have played it like 10 times, So busy with work and shopping pins that I found I don't really have the time. Its either I sell my LOTR or I sell a sega HD, or T3. I have so much going on and need to free up some cash What would you do?

Sell it to me! Assuming the price is right.

#4 7 years ago

It can take a while to get to know a game, and LOTR is one of the great ones. 10 games isn't enough to start understanding the magic in there. It may end up that the game isn't for you. But seeing you already own it, give it some more time. I'd sell one of the other two.

Here is a small quest. Two Towers Multiball Super Jackpot. Ignore everything else in the game but getting KEEP letters to qualify TTT, then start it by locking 3 balls on the sword. Keep enough balls in play while scoring the lit jackpots. Score enough of them until Gandalf says "On the first light of the fifth day..." And then hit the center ring shot. If you don't squeal with delight, sell it that day.

Notes: the more balls in play during TTT, the faster you complete the stages. So a shot at a double jackpot (3 balls in play) is worth two single jackpot shots (2 balls in play).

I'm explaining this one thing in such detail because LOTR has so much going on. I understand it's not for everyone, and if those layers of complexity are not your cup of tea, by all means, move it on. Or if you already knew all this and you just don't want that type of game, I'm sure someone else would. Good luck with your decision.

#5 7 years ago

Lotr won't leave my collection ever. I got some games on the Hobbit yesterday and it was neat but it's not better than lotr. Too much open space on the playfield. Sell the others and keep lotr.

#6 7 years ago

Lotr is great, I had mine for over 2 years. But I found I just didn't play it that much, I enjoy more fast paced games. I sold mine to get a met premium, if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. Lotr takes so long to play, it's a great game and all, but a 45 min pinball game isn't my cup of tea.

#7 7 years ago

While I am not a fan of the LOTR theme, I've played it enough to recognize its one of the good ones. If reasonably priced, it should generate lots of interest and sell quickly. $4500 - $5500.

Sega HD is a turd of a game when it comes to game play. It would be my first choice in selling. Unfortunately, this title seems to always be on the market, and a sale generally requires some time and repeated price drops. Pricing on this game is a bit strange. Generally overpriced by sellers at $2500. I personally see this as an $1800 - $2000 pin.

T3 is one of those wierd games. Most, but certainly not all widely prefer T2. Generally priced higher than T2. Could be a slow sale.
    Also often overpriced by seller at $2500 - $3K. This I see as a $2200 - $2400 pin.

I'm of the opinion that one always sells off there "runt of the litter" first, hanging on to the pick of the litter.

#8 7 years ago

LOTR is possibly my favorite pin. I love it in a large collection and would consider it an island pin if you were stuck and could have only one.

Sell HD or T3. Heck, I would not trade a LOTR for an HD and T3 together.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from tdiddy:

Lotr takes so long to play, it's a great game and all, but a 45 min pinball game isn't my cup of tea.

Bingo. - LOTR is a wonderfully laid out game with satisfying shots and a deep rule set. I totally understand why people love it. But I got bored with the long ball times and I would intentionally drain to play something else. To each his own but I don't miss it at all in my collection.

#10 7 years ago

I love the game don't get me wrong, I just don't play that much anymore. I hate parting with things, I think we are all like this. lol

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

I love the game don't get me wrong, I just don't play that much anymore. I hate parting with things, I think we are all like this. lol

Ok, so really your interests have just shifted to other things besides playing pinball. In that case I want to go back and change my answer

Sell all 3 games and grab a cheap and cheerful old Bally or Stern from the 70s. Set it up as nasty as you can for short games. They only take a few minutes to play, and they are really not that expensive. Especially because you can buy a beater and shop it into a players copy. It gives the core fun of pinball ownership, and sounds like it suits your needs better for the current situation. This is a few from my "upstairs" line and I'd recommend any of them. That EB is a player. Nastiest game in the house. Good stuff.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, so really your interests have just shifted to other things besides playing pinball. In that case I want to go back and change my answer
    Sell all 3 games and grab a cheap and cheerful old Bally or Stern from the 70s. Set it up as nasty as you can for short games. They only take a few minutes to play, and they are really not that expensive. Especially because you can buy a beater and shop it into a players copy. It gives the core fun of pinball ownership, and sounds like it suits your needs better for the current situation. This is a few from my "upstairs" line and I'd recommend any of them. That EB is a player. Nastiest game in the house. Good stuff.

I'm at this point also, I've grown to love older ballys/sterns. I would sell my mm to pick up some older great titles. I'm just limited on space until I move. But once I move it's probably game over for mm.

#13 7 years ago

I play don't get me wrong, I work on the side for 3 operators now, So I play a lot of their games before I send them back to make sure I have them dialed in all the way. Don't get me wrong I love the LOTR, but nobody here enjoys pinball the way that I do. My sons would rather play playstation then the real thing. I understand times have changed, but at one time my son was a pinball freak lol. I guess they get older and change.

#14 7 years ago

I think LOTR is a great game! And If I had the money and space for a large collection I think it would be a keeper. It's the kind of game that I only want to play once in awhile when I am in the mood for a long quest type game, and not many pins do that better than LOTR. But in my 3 or 4 pin line up it got passed over too many times. I traded it for an IMVE a couple years ago and I play IM a ton more. So I would say it was the right move.

#15 7 years ago

So, LOTR is probably one of the best pinball machines ever made.

And, I think I was probably happiest with the hobby when I had just 2 machines, LOTR and Tron.

Then I started chasing everything everyone said was great, trying to find the next perfect game.

I sold LOTR, and while I miss it sometimes, like an ex girlfriend, I know exactly why we are no longer together.

Destroying the ring used to make me go into atrial fibrillation I got so excited. But it wore off. Then There and Back Again wore off. Then Valinor was all that remained.

The joy and charm quickly turned into 45 minute long grinding games of repetition ending abruptly with frustration.

It was time to go.

They're all useless wooden toys. If it's not making you excited to come home and play it every day, get rid of it for something that will. No sense in sitting on $5k just in case you might change your mind. There are plenty of other machines to play, and life is short.

But also, the biggest mistake you can make is to buy other machines to try and make other people happy. I tried that with WCS, TAF, etc., just trying to get other people excited about pinball. It's exhausting. Don't go down that route.

Just get what you like, and sell what you don't anymore.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from tdiddy:

Lotr is great, I had mine for over 2 years. But I found I just didn't play it that much, I enjoy more fast paced games. I sold mine to get a met premium, if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. Lotr takes so long to play, it's a great game and all, but a 45 min pinball game isn't my cup of tea.

Quoted from Mr68:

Bingo. - LOTR is a wonderfully laid out game with satisfying shots and a deep rule set. I totally understand why people love it. But I got bored with the long ball times and I would intentionally drain to play something else. To each his own but I don't miss it at all in my collection.

I just sold mine for these same reasons. I had it for 2 years, and made it one of the nicest ones out there, and sold it for a good price. I'll never have another one as nice, and I'm okay with that. Great game, beautiful game. But nobody played it, and every time I wanted to "just play a quick game" it took me between 30 and 45 minutes.

These guys are right. Once you learn the shots, you hardly ever drain. Multiballs and extra balls are plentiful, and it all just winds up feeling like one big slog, especially when you know you'll probably never get to Valinor. (And to see how boring Valinor is, just watch it on YouTube.)

#17 7 years ago

If you aren't enjoying a game anymore, then you should get rid of it. I sold my LOTR and never looked back. It's one of the best games ever made, but I just didn't find myself playing it very often.

#18 7 years ago

Ok guys, Here are a few pictures of my game. If it was yours what would you think you would sell it for. Full unopened plastic set still in the cabinet, side board decals, new LOTR flipper coils from pinball life, new flipper rebuild kit, new flipper bushings, new pop bumpers, new rubbers, new spinner, new inner ring, new gold outer ring, new full cointaker non ghosting full led kit, new eye mod for backbox, new dmd, new shire decal and sword tip decal, all boards untouched other than NV ram installed. Thanks guys, and yes there is more, just cant think about it now. Also have another extra boardset for it.

101_1192_(resized).JPG101_1192_(resized).JPG

101_1193_(resized).JPG101_1193_(resized).JPG

101_1191_(resized).JPG101_1191_(resized).JPG

101_1194_(resized).JPG101_1194_(resized).JPG

101_1195_(resized).JPG101_1195_(resized).JPG

101_1196_(resized).JPG101_1196_(resized).JPG

101_1197_(resized).JPG101_1197_(resized).JPG

101_1198_(resized).JPG101_1198_(resized).JPG

101_1199_(resized).JPG101_1199_(resized).JPG

101_1201_(resized).JPG101_1201_(resized).JPG

101_1200_(resized).JPG101_1200_(resized).JPG

101_1202_(resized).JPG101_1202_(resized).JPG

101_1203_(resized).JPG101_1203_(resized).JPG

101_1204_(resized).JPG101_1204_(resized).JPG

101_1205_(resized).JPG101_1205_(resized).JPG

101_1207_(resized).JPG101_1207_(resized).JPG

101_1208_(resized).JPG101_1208_(resized).JPG

101_1206_(resized).JPG101_1206_(resized).JPG

101_1209_(resized).JPG101_1209_(resized).JPG

101_1210_(resized).JPG101_1210_(resized).JPG

101_1211_(resized).JPG101_1211_(resized).JPG

101_1212_(resized).JPG101_1212_(resized).JPG

101_1213_(resized).JPG101_1213_(resized).JPG

101_1214_(resized).JPG101_1214_(resized).JPG

101_1215_(resized).JPG101_1215_(resized).JPG

101_1216_(resized).JPG101_1216_(resized).JPG

101_1217_(resized).JPG101_1217_(resized).JPG

101_1218_(resized).JPG101_1218_(resized).JPG

101_1219_(resized).JPG101_1219_(resized).JPG

101_1220_(resized).JPG101_1220_(resized).JPG

101_1221_(resized).JPG101_1221_(resized).JPG

101_1222_(resized).JPG101_1222_(resized).JPG

101_1223_(resized).JPG101_1223_(resized).JPG

101_1224_(resized).JPG101_1224_(resized).JPG

101_1225_(resized).JPG101_1225_(resized).JPG

101_1227_(resized).JPG101_1227_(resized).JPG

101_1226_(resized).JPG101_1226_(resized).JPG

101_1228_(resized).JPG101_1228_(resized).JPG

101_1229_(resized).JPG101_1229_(resized).JPG

#19 7 years ago

I am still calling dibs.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Here are a few pictures of my game. If it was yours what would you think you would sell it for.

$1500 at most. Oh, did I mention that I'm in the market for a LOTR? Ha! That pin is simply gorgeous! If you decide to part with it, good luck. I would expect it will sell quickly.

#21 7 years ago

My gut tells me somewhere in the ballpark of $4,500.

#22 7 years ago

I wish I had never sold mine. And after months of heaing my wife mock the "But I do not know the way..." callout, it got sold... now she wishes it hadn't been sold too. Joke's on her, sucka....I'll get another one someday.

#23 7 years ago

I keep debating letting mine go. I love the game, but it doesn't get tons of play. I also look at it and think of 3 machines I could replace it with. In the long run I can afford the games, but it would be tough to track down a nice lotr. So, I feel your pain op.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-i-sell-my-lotr?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.