(Topic ID: 67487)

Do I need a special Allen Wrench for Gottlieb Stepper Coils?

By alb0711

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coil-900.jpg
coil.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I'm rebuilding my steppers in my 1971 Playball. The large coil in the continuous stepper has a screw with an allen wrench head. I've tried every Allen wrench I have and none of them fit. Does this screw require some kind of special Gottlieb tool?

TIA!

Allen

#2 10 years ago

Shouldn't...can you post pic?

#3 10 years ago

It's probably one that doesn't come in all sets of Allen wrenches: 9/64"

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It's probably one that doesn't come in all sets of Allen wrenches: 9/64"

9/64 sounds about right - I can't believe I don't have one though. Looks like I get to go tool shopping!

Sort of hard to see in this photo, but at the bottom of the brass coil mount there are 2 of these allen screws, there are also 2 more on top that you can't see. coil.jpgcoil.jpg

coil-900.jpgcoil-900.jpg
#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the pic....thought maybe prior owner etc. may have replaced Allen screw. Sooooo....yes, Allen wrench is correct and Ken stated size. Have fun tool shopping!

#6 10 years ago

Yup, those are 9/64" heads.

#7 10 years ago

Stopped at my local pep boys last night, of course I had to buy a set of SAE and Metric allen wrenches to get the apparently rare 9/64. It worked like a charm. Thanks guys!

#8 10 years ago

Sears sells individual Allen wrenches.

http://www.sears.com/brighton-best-international-9-64-hex-key-long-arm/p-SPM1183233914?prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=G17

My local Tacoma Screw Products store also sells individual sizes.

#9 10 years ago

The set I picked up at Pep Boys is actually kind of handy, it is a swiss army knife like set of allens that fold out. I'm keeping the SAE set in my Pinball tool kit and will send the metric and loose allens back up to my auto tool chest. Would have bought the indvidual had it been an option where I went though.

#10 10 years ago

Great, you're back in business! Probably somewhere else down the line you'll have use for the other sizes and then you'll have them. Kind of amazing how many more 'things' I've been able to fix since learning to work on pins in the past 12 years and have had the tools to use from pinball repair tool box.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-i-need-a-special-allen-wrench-for-gottlieb-stepper-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.