(Topic ID: 66859)

Do I just have to realize I'm never going to be a good player?

By Switch

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by gtown
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

abc.jpg
    rudy003.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballhelp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from Switch:

Totally discouraged tonight. I am fairly new to pinball I have only been collecting for about 6 months. I am totally in love with the hobby but I have a goal to someday be good enough to play competitively in a league. I have watched every tutorial i can get my hands on, I have read everything I can get my hands on as far as technique. I practice every night but honestley i don't feel like my scores are getting any better.........It seems lately I walk away from my pins more discouraged and bummed out then when I turned them on which is a big problem. What am I doing wrong? I watch alot of guys and it looks like they barely ever have to nudge the table while myself i find the need to nudge almost constant, am I doing it right? Hell I don't know I guess i just need to vent more than anything. I am about to start facing the fact that I will be in pinball as a hobby of collecting rather than playing them?

I'd have to see how you're playing but I suspect someone who is more experienced can notice some specific things you might be doing that are contributing to your unsatisfying play. The most common thing is people get excited and "anticipate" the ball and tend to flip early. Good pinball is about being patient and letting the ball come to you.

The second aspect IMO of good pinball is knowing how to play competitive. In many cases it's entirely different from casual play. It's important to understand the nature of how pinball is designed as well - you have to look at the pinball playfield as a "battlefield" and some areas are "mined" (dangerous when the ball goes there) and you need to avoid those zones.

I'm in my third year now of competitive play, and I've probably only started to take it somewhat seriously the last year. (I say "somewhat seriously" because I think taking it too seriously can be a pitfall - if you let yourself get too emotionally-invested in the outcome of matches, that can affect your ability to be consistent). Competitive pinball is all about being consistent.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballhelp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-i-just-have-to-realize-im-never-going-to-be-a-good-player?tu=pinballhelp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.