Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by paragon66x
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

My LAH died, no power to the CPU. Turned out to be just a blown fuse. The game and boards are immaculate, as are the connectors. The power board caps all look fine. The game is plugged into a surge protector.

I just worry that there's something sinister hiding somewhere, lying in wait.

So, can fuses ever just wear out and blow?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

So, can fuses ever just wear out and blow?

Yep.

Depending on the fuse that blows, I may check voltages and a few other things just to be on the safe side, but I don't usually worry too much about a blown fuse unless it happens a second time.

Fuses can blow just from being jostled around during transport and fatigued over a long period of time.

#3 6 years ago

yes, though pretty rare. usually there is an outside factor.

#4 6 years ago

Bottom line is a fuse is like a light bulb and they do die sometimes. When I find a bad fuse in something the first thing I try is just installing another fuse. Some people call it the "shotgun approach" but I prefer wasting a 50 cent fuse over wasting a lot of time looking for a problem that doesn't exist. However if that fuse blows again then I look a little further to see if something is causing it to blow.

But I have also gotten "bad" new fuses. So if I have a problem more than once I try a fuse from a different lot of fuses just in case I happen to get a bad box of fuses. It doesn't happen often but it does happen!

#5 6 years ago

Not as rare as you might think. So yes

#6 6 years ago

Sweet, fingers crossed it doesnt re-blow. Thanks for the guidance peeps!

#7 6 years ago

actually happens more than you would think. They just get fatigued and old.

#8 6 years ago

Usually if a fuse blows, and it has a big black mark on it, then it was a short and should be looked at further. If it doesn't have the big black mark then it was probably it's time to go.

#9 6 years ago

yes, some fuses have been in the game for a long time. if you replace & it blows you have something wrong. other fuses aren't going to fix the problem!

#10 6 years ago

Sure they do. Don't you read the craigslist ads and other for sale ads where they always say it is probably just a fuse?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 78.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-fuses-ever-just-blow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.