(Topic ID: 124982)

Do fake high scores annoy you, and should they be addressed?

By sevenrites

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jgreene
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jackie Chiles.jpg
image (resized).jpg
74528315 (resized).jpg
70142378 (resized).jpg
6890238a19f066b77cd019a1540447ce13036ca427bf1384555bfc847c51596a.jpg
154190-i.jpg
TSPP high score.jpg
Spirit high score 5-15-14.jpg
BH high score 3-30-12.jpg
th.jpg

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago

Don't care but just for the record, 100 is an increment of 10.

2 months later
#102 8 years ago

Every time I play on location, I take a photo of my score and log it here on pinside. It's fun to see how my high score stacks up. Some of my posted scores are after just a few games so they suck, but I'm proud of a few of my top 5-10 scores.

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Every time I play on location, I take a photo of my score and log it here on pinside.

Let's see a few.....

1 year later
#104 7 years ago

Well I hate to resurrect a thread from the past but in the interest of integrity and honesty, I'd like to call out another fake high score poster.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/mjv1967/scores

I found it because they claim a high score for Predator pinball. Then I see tons of high scores allegedly all set on the same date. I know, it's trivial but it's still annoying.

#105 7 years ago

Oh shit and he almost got away with it!

Thank God your crusade is still going.

70142378 (resized).jpg70142378 (resized).jpg

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Oh shit and he almost got away with it!
Thank God your crusade is still going.

Speaking of ongoing crusades, I am calling your TSPP high score out as a fake as well. Thanks for bringing yourself to my attention.

#107 7 years ago

I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."

#108 7 years ago

Twin Galaxies / Walter Day. I thought King of Kong was a decent documentary.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Twin Galaxies / Walter Day. I thought King of Kong was a decent documentary.

Mate that line cracked me up. Excellent. Bring on the pinumentary

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Speaking of ongoing crusades, I am calling your TSPP high score out as a fake as well. Thanks for bringing yourself to my attention.

If you admit that you have a spreadsheet somewhere listing the violators I'll probably piss myself.

#111 7 years ago

Haha, no, I haven't reached that level of insanity yet. The fake high score by mjv1967 and you were stumbled upon by chance. I don't actively go witch hunting for violators. They were just so obvious.

So let me ask you this since you're here - can you explain to me what value it adds to your life or this website to claim a fake high score? Is that how things work? Just fake it all, pretend we're someone else, make up stuff to make ourselves look better? I'm just trying to see the logic behind what motivates that kind of behavior out of people.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I see tons of high scores allegedly all set on the same date.

How do you know they didn't take pictures of their scores and record them later? I have a photo album on my phone with pictures of all my highest scores on any game I've played. When I set a higher score I go and delete the old photo and put the newest top score in. I could go upload them all right now and they would all say 1/6/2017.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

How do you know they didn't take pictures of their scores and record them later?

Simple, they never uploaded photos for proof either, and it allows you to choose the time and date you set your score.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

they never uploaded photos for proof either and it allows you to choose the time and date you set your score.

I know, but if I went and uploaded the scores from all my photos I'm wouldn't bother figuring out the dates they were taken. Some have metadata, some no longer do. I would just put the score in. Seems like half the scores on the entire site don't have photos, are those all fake too? I probably wouldn't bother to upload the photos either if I bothered to upload my scores.

In the most recent case you've pointed out I would assume laziness far before assuming malice. You're assuming malicious intent. There's almost certainly an easier answer. There are plenty of scores I assume are fake (like the number one TAF score of 165,000,000,000) but at the end of the day... it's a list on a website. Even if it's fake it doesn't matter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#116 7 years ago

Asking pinsiders if lack of integrity bothers them?

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

this thread inspired me and i topped my personal best in STTNG!

Thanks pezpunk, I hope you feel like a real man now.

#118 7 years ago

74528315 (resized).jpg74528315 (resized).jpg

#119 7 years ago

no pic no score i say.

#120 7 years ago

jesus!! I am usually a pretty positive person, at least on pinside, but wtf? some people are attention whores, who post fake shit. no big deal in my opinion. I do take pictures when I score high on my own machines, but that's about it. LOL

#121 7 years ago

idgaf

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

I do take pictures when I score high on my own machines, but that's about it. LOL

I have no doubt that most Pinsiders have proudly snapped pics of their scores at least once.

#123 7 years ago

I still love the fact that the OP calls out fake score for TFTC as if scores in increments of 10.
The score ends in 300 so yes that is an increment of 10!!! Maybe they weren't cheating!

#124 7 years ago

I'd give no stock to scores online, scoring on pins is going to be largely dependent on setup. If you want comparison of skills then just play competitively.

#125 7 years ago

I always take a picture of my high scores too. I have a Facebook album with them all in there for reference. It's always fun to look back and see what scores you had, when you got them and where. Speaking of this, I have a ton of pics to upload since I haven't done that in a long time now. I mostly play on factory settings, but when the score was during a TOPs Tournament or something else I note it for reference too. If people want to post ridiculously fake high scores or take credit for scores where there game was set to 5 ball with EBs awarded at point intervals, that's their deal. I just like to keep track of mine for reference and to see how my scores measure up to other players overall.

#126 7 years ago

How the fuck is this even a topic? I have a crazy high score on my TWD and ST premium, do I have a clue what they are without turning my machines on and looking, hell no. I can tell you my kid's milestones in their lives though........priorities people

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Haha, no, I haven't reached that level of insanity yet. The fake high score by mjv1967 and you were stumbled upon by chance. I don't actively go witch hunting for violators. They were just so obvious.
So let me ask you this since you're here - can you explain to me what value it adds to your life or this website to claim a fake high score? Is that how things work? Just fake it all, pretend we're someone else, make up stuff to make ourselves look better? I'm just trying to see the logic behind what motivates that kind of behavior out of people.

It's simple. I rounded my high score down because I wasn't home when I filled it out and didn't ever take a picture of it anyway. I knew it was 299M and change because I was annoyed that I fell just short of 300M. I didn't go back and update it because who gives a shit? At this point the grand champ score on my machine has been reset a number of times since then and the exact score is lost to the ages of time.

When I eventually crack 300M I'll be sure to accurately record it for posterity. I'll even make sure that that day's paper is clearly visible in any photo. Until then, 299M it is.

If you're somehow claiming that 299M is too high to be believable on TSPP, then I don't know what to tell you.

#128 7 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#129 7 years ago

I use the Pindigo app to track my high scores. It's mostly for my own use. I do try and put the location of the game in just in case I have some friends playing the same machine. I entered a score the other day with non traditional scoring and saw an obviously fake score and I have to admit it bothered me more than it should have.

#130 7 years ago

I can see why it bothers people coming from a competitive gamer like myself.

But I also like to realize that there are people who are lightyears ahead of me talent-wise, and they spend almost every moment of their life playing and playing this one game to be really good.

Meanwhile I have a life and a job and friends, and then I don't really give a shit anymore, real or not, lmao!

#131 7 years ago

I shot a man in Brooklyn, just because he falsified his high score

(BTW I did a lot of headshaking at the negative comments in this thread. If he has too much time on his hands to make this thread, how much time must YOU have to reply to it)

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I can see why it bothers people coming from a competitive gamer like myself.
But I also like to realize that there are people who are lightyears ahead of me talent-wise, and they spend almost every moment of their life playing and playing this one game to be really good.
Meanwhile I have a life and a job and friends, and then I don't really give a shit anymore, real or not, lmao!

i'm a pretty competitive gamer. it's not about "not giving a shit about games". as i've said a half dozen times in this thread, comparing scores across games at different locations or against other players (when there is zero possibility of preventing cheating) is utterly, completely, 100% pointless. if you want to compete at pinball, join a league or a tournament.

Pinside's system is nice for tracking your own progress on a specific game against your previous high score, but it's not something that should be taken seriously in any way regarding competion with others at different locations.

#133 7 years ago

So let me get this straight people are coming on Pinside and posting fake scores. Cheating by removing glass, buy-ins, blocking outlanes is outrageous , egregious , and preposterous. Jackie Chiles is on the case!

Jackie Chiles.jpgJackie Chiles.jpg

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Well I hate to resurrect a thread from the past but in the interest of integrity and honesty, I'd like to call out another fake high score poster.
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/mjv1967/scores
I found it because they claim a high score for Predator pinball. Then I see tons of high scores allegedly all set on the same date. I know, it's trivial but it's still annoying.

I think we need an official title for all the high score sleuths out there...

The 'price police' show up whenever a seller lists something at a ridiculous price. Maybe the 'Score Nannies' could swoop in and preserve the integrity of pinball score keeping here.

Seriously I didn't even realize pinside had this feature until this thread caught my eye. I just don't see how this could be a priority.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
3,858 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomington, IN
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games
Plastics
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-fake-high-scores-annoy-you-and-should-they-be-addressed/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.