(Topic ID: 124982)

Do fake high scores annoy you, and should they be addressed?

By sevenrites

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jgreene
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Jackie Chiles.jpg
image (resized).jpg
74528315 (resized).jpg
70142378 (resized).jpg
6890238a19f066b77cd019a1540447ce13036ca427bf1384555bfc847c51596a.jpg
154190-i.jpg
TSPP high score.jpg
Spirit high score 5-15-14.jpg
BH high score 3-30-12.jpg
th.jpg

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago

Don't care, but seems douchey.

#52 4 years ago

Who cares. Deep down inside I know that anyone who beats my scores by even 10 points is a filthy cheater, and anyone who falls short of my scores sucks at life. Everything else is irrelevant. )

#53 4 years ago

Wait, our pinball machines have a way of keeping score?
Never looked at the damn thing, having too much fun with the silver shiny thing being bashed around on that painted piece of wood.
Man pinball would be easier if they got rid of that gap between those 2 baseball bats at the bottom.

All tongue in cheek of course. Its my way of saying, I could care less about someone else's score. Don't forget, there are difficulty settings, is the tilt bob on, etc. So your score may be totally different than mine. I just enjoy the game and don't get caught up by scores. I will never be 1/4 as good as most of the people on this forum.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

If I was single, I wouldn't be whipping out my high score to pick up ladies. Who really cares?

Well if you had read that Toronto Star newspaper article about pinball from the 1970's, you would know that hero scores really do attract the ladies. I took up pinball and have posted about 300 scores on this site all in an effort to attract a mate. Still waiting and hoping that someday it will pay off....

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

No, they do not annoy me.

Me either...who cares?? I've taken the glass off just to see how some modes play out because I haven't reached them (yet) ....I play for my enjoyment only...certainly don't use it as a bragging chip...kind of silly, if you think about it....

#56 4 years ago

I do not post scores or worry about any of yours unless you are putting them on my machine at my house. Then it is on I must remove you from the scoreboard.

It is very wrong but what to do. Beat them down at a tourney and do not worry about it. IMO

#57 4 years ago

So for all you people who could care less about scores, I'm just a bit confused as to what goals you set for yourself when you play a game. How do you measure your success on the table? Oh, I kept the ball in play for a whole minute today! Oh wow, I made a scoop shot! Oh, awesome, I hit a spinner. Hey kids, check it out, dad hit the tricky red target today!!! Woohoo! This thing is cool!

Seriously, you don't play the lottery to get losing numbers do you? You're playing to win! Same with sports, same with pinball (so I thought)

Meanwhile, the pinside mods agree about preserving some type of integrity here, as this response should indicate:

"I agree with trying to keep the scores “clean” of abuse, and a flagging icon has been planned to allow the community to moderated the scores (scores with high number of abuse flags would automatically be reported to moderators)"

We dodged a bullet here people! All is well here in the world today!

#58 4 years ago

I'd like to see somebody beat my high score on TSPP below...

TSPP high score.jpg

The score is so high that I had to install a dmd mod with a longer screen to fit all the numbers in

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

So for all you people who could care less about scores, I'm just a bit confused as to what goals you set for yourself when you play a game. How do you measure your success on the table? Oh, I kept the ball in play for a whole minute today! Oh wow, I made a scoop shot! Oh, awesome, I hit a spinner. Hey kids, check it out, dad hit the tricky red target today!!! Woohoo! This thing is cool!
Seriously, you don't play the lottery to get losing numbers do you? You're playing to win! Same with sports, same with pinball (so I thought)

I care about my scores, and I like to set high scores on my machines. I don't care about your high scores, and I don't care if you post them on pinside, or how "legitimate" I feel they are. Integrity is a personal choice.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I care intensely about my scores, and I care about the scores people are putting up on the machines I play, especially when I'm playing against them.

I *couldn't* care less about the scores that strangers post on the internet.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

of course we care about scores when we play. nobody said they don't. what we don't care about is comparing scores between different machines, because that's totally meaningless for reasons outlined several times by myself and others. (basically, machines are all set up differently and play very differently, even if you could eliminate cheating, which you cant)

in my opinion, the scores are good for tracking your own progress on your own game, but pretty meaningless as a comparison tool or competition with others.

#62 4 years ago

I love posting my scores on Pinside (just uploaded 4) and I always take a photo to add to my submission. Some of the games I post a score for, I play just once or twice and I know it's a low score, but I still like to add it.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

So you're okay if I go over to Hotdoggin' and put in a fake 4,000,000+ point score I didn't work for and knock you out of the #1 spot you legitimately earned?

yes, and this is as BS as the people whining about the rankings of games.

#64 4 years ago

Good thing photos never lie. Should I post my TSPP score above on pinside?

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from helicopter:

Should I post my TSPP score above on pinside

If you legitimately earned it with the glass on playing a game, then I would say yes. If people can't beat your score, then maybe they can ask you how you have your game set up so they can try and get more points out of theirs. But that photo looks photoshopped to me. The first 1 and first 9 dot patterns perfectly match the 2nd 1 and 2nd 9.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

If people can't beat your score, then maybe they can ask you how you have your game set up so they can try and get more points out of theirs.

#67 4 years ago

Indeed I do. I also call out everyone I see using a fake Louis Vuitton handbag on the train.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

But that photo looks photoshopped to me

So, you're saying you don't like my extended dmd mod?

#69 4 years ago

I have always been suspicious that this high score on my Bon Voyage might be "fake".

154190-i.jpg

#70 4 years ago

This is a major real world problem that must be adressed ASAP....

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Seriously, you don't play the lottery to get losing numbers do you? You're playing to win!

Thumbs-down for long-winded strawman argument. Of course we all care about scores. But I mainly compare my scores to other scores on my specific games - that's why I have a High Score board in our gameroom. Frankly treating the scores posted here as "high scores" is kind of silly.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Meanwhile, the pinside mods agree about preserving some type of integrity here, as this response should indicate:
"I agree with trying to keep the scores “clean” of abuse, and a flagging icon has been planned to allow the community to moderated the scores (scores with high number of abuse flags would automatically be reported to moderators)"
We dodged a bullet here people! All is well here in the world today!

My integrity is fine, and my high scores are legit, but generally compete against myself. I'm aware of my glass off tests and don't factor those. Sure the Moderators won't have a problem w that.....mark

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Frankly treating the scores posted here as "high scores" is kind of silly.

Or treating anything posted here as mattering is kind of silly.

#74 4 years ago

I am losing sleep over them

#75 4 years ago

High Scores - to care or not to care??? That is why we have competitions, tournaments and prizes. Pinball will abide for the competitive types, as well as provide a nice non-threatening backdrop for a casual social get-together. I regard information on the internet as legitimate as hearsay at a beer bash. Got something to prove? Enter into an IFPA sanctioned match. Travel the distance. Pay your entry fee. Play for prizes and bagging rights. There is where you will find plenty of people who care very much that your'e telling the truth about your scores. Want to B.S. about your high scores? Go to a bar. Go online. Tell your story and hope that your audience doesn't call you out.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

How do you measure your success on the table?

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

154190-i.jpg

Everybody knows that anything scratched into a pinball can't be fake. I think that's where the etched in stone phrase came from.

Judge Smails: I'm no slouch, you know?
Ty Webb: Don't sell yourself short, Judge. You're an incredible slouch.

Best movie ever!!!

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I think a Pinside commission needs to be formed to uncover this fraud.
Steve

I heard that they have four detectives working on it. They are even working in shifts!

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from helicopter:

Everybody knows that anything scratched into a pinball can't be fake.

I hear you on that. But this machine only came with five score reels. So that meant he rolled it six times. But it was the highest score amongst all the others that were scratched on there. I do like machines that include a little history with them.

#80 4 years ago

This thread is the first I've heard of posting high scores.

I won't be doing it or checking them out now that I'm aware either.

#81 4 years ago

It's important to realise that everything can be faked on the internet!

Seriously, when I built the scores system this was the first "problem" I tried to tackle. How to make it legit, fair, honest? Only to conclude that there is no way to prevent people from posting fake scores.

Use the scores system with that in mind. Use it to keep track of your own scores. To compare with your friends, people you "trust".

I have long planned to add an abuse/flag icon to scores to allow the community to direct us to clearly fake scores. And it will be implemented one day. It's not like I don't care about people abusing the system. But as with anything on the internet, you just have to be realistic too. Short from filming your entire game there is just no way to validate if a score is valid.

#82 4 years ago

Without a doubt, things can be faked online. I don't take high scores or anything else on the Internet completely seriously at all times, but if we're going to have high scores on here, it would be nice to try and keep them reasonably legitimate. The fact that we can specify the outlines, and whether or not factory settings were used is nice as well as the software version. I like to think that most people are honest or should make an effort to be when they post those details with their score. I have set higher scores with tighter outlines and made note of that where applicable. Factory settings are a great default way to ensure most of the game is setup the same, and I see no need to adjust those settings in pursuit of a score. So then it just comes down to cleaning, maintenance, the pitch & etc. for variation. Being able to describe some of what led to the high score is also a nice feature.

I also agree that tournament play is probably a better and more controlled way to really get an idea of how someone really ranks, but they aren't always close, not always an option, and take a considerable amount of time to get involved and compete in with so many players. So high scores are a secondary way I like to try and get an idea of whether or not I'm doing well with a game or not.

It's nice to have a site with so many features related to pinball and if we can try and curb the blatant lies, abuse, and fraud wherever possible, it benefits us all - whether it's someone faking a score or someone scamming for money. Thanks for your reply Robin.

#83 4 years ago

Nope, doesn't annoy me.

#84 4 years ago

I do enjoy getting a high score on my machines, but I would never post a score. I play for fun at home, not for bragging rights. Seems working that hard to get crazy high scores would take the fun out of playing. If it were at a tournament, I guess I would feel differently. And as far as someone else's scores, not worth the my time. Not interested at all. its a hobby, not a job.

#85 4 years ago

Tournament scores are just as worthless and have even more changeable factors.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

So for all you people who could care less about scores, I'm just a bit confused as to what goals you set for yourself when you play a game. How do you measure your success on the table?

By the size of the smile on my face when I walk away.

#87 4 years ago

Before I restored my F-14, I could easily beat the factory high scores by a wide margin. In the months after it was clear coated and restored, I never beat the factory high scores. The game was just way too fast.

Unless you are going to compare all game settings, game inclination, etc.... then having scores online is just for fun, nothing more.

I think the best use of the score system on Pinside is as a personal record keeper, or to compare with your friends at a local bar, etc....

tl;dr - You're using it wrong.

Bonus Points for whoever goes through and adds scores that are 1 point above all of sevenrite's scores.

#88 4 years ago

Am I the only one with an overwheming desire to slam the OPs lap-top shut on his fingers while he's typing ?
I kid......I kid.....it doesn't matter if he's typing or not.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Am I the only one with an overwheming desire to slam the OPs lap-top shut on his fingers while he's typing ?

Agreed...it's way to much effort going into this.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

How do you measure your success?

I find a ruler isn't long enough so I go with a yardstick.

#91 4 years ago

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...........................................

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Tournament scores are just as worthless and have even more changeable factors.

sure, but in a tournament you are competing against other people on the same machine, which is the key point i think. (not to mention at a tournament there are reasonable safeguards against cheating)

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Agreed...however, I am a bit annoyed that Op is implying that Pinside needs to more vigilant in blatant score "faking" or "someone scamming for money".

Last time I checked, this is a public forum, supported by donations....I appreciate having it, and has added to the enjoyment of my hobby. Only so much can be done w available resources, and the site has done nothing but improve.

Egomaniacs that fix scores, and douchebags that cheat people are NOT what this site is about!!!

#94 4 years ago

I blame Bush.

#95 4 years ago

lol, get mad and throw insults at me all you want, the whole point is to curb blatant lying and abuse here to some degree. If you don't care about scores, yet you took the time to throw insults, I hope you feel bigger than me now. Way to support those of us who appreciate the hobby in a way that differs from your prefered methods of insulting someone, which seems to be of higher importance to you than trying to get a high score or attempting to maintain accuracy on a forum some people benefit from and make use of.

#96 4 years ago

Sorry OP....

6890238a19f066b77cd019a1540447ce13036ca427bf1384555bfc847c51596a.jpg

#97 4 years ago

Dude.......it was........a joke.
You have a valid point ; cheaters suck. I agree.
Have a great 4-20 !

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

lol, get mad and throw insults at me all you want, the whole point is to curb blatant lying and abuse here to some degree. If you don't care about scores, yet you took the time to throw insults, I hope you feel bigger than me now. Way to support those of us who appreciate the hobby in a way that differs from your prefered methods of insulting someone, which seems to be of higher importance to you than trying to get a high score or attempting to maintain accuracy on a forum some people benefit from and make use of.

No insult meant or implied....but comparing score " fixing" to people who genuinely abused the trust of others here (scammers) is a bit of a stretch.....sorry...I'm glad you enjoy the hobby, as do most of us...your point is valid....

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I don't think anyone disagrees that it would be nice to be able to compare scores, I just think we all realize how impossible that goal is. There will always be trolls, it's unfortunately a fact of life on the Internet.

#100 4 years ago

i just use the scores for my personal record keeping. dont care about others because im not competing against them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 64.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bristol, TN
5,300 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Southport, NC
$ 15.00
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside