(Topic ID: 119434)

Do curved yokes not work on Williams EM pop bumpers?

By Mahwhoie

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

asm1.png
popset.jpg

#1 9 years ago

So the metal and fiber yokes on the pop bumpers on my 1972 Williams Olympic Hockey EM were all cracked and broken so I bought a replacement off marco. (See the left set in the image below) However, I feel like the new metal prevents the rod and ring from moving as far down as it used to. If I look at one of my other pop bumpers, the assembly can suck in almost to the solenoid itself whereas this new assembly stops a decent bit shorter because the curved lip sticks out and hits the stop bracket. I also noticed the end of stroke switch barely "breaks" (it's normally closed and opens when the assembly moves past) with the curved metal yoke installed whereas on my older flat metal yokes, it pushed the switch open quite a bit more.

Is this really how it should be? Or should I use a flat metal yolk set like the one in the right of the picture below?

popset.jpgpopset.jpg
#2 9 years ago

The Gottlibe style reinforced one is what PBR sells as a replacement as well for Williams pop bumpers. Like you I'd prefer to also use the original style but they are NLA and prone to breakage. So outside finding some used ones you have limited options.

Edit: Aha, here's some.
ebay.com link: NEW Pop Bumper Metal Yoke for Bally Williams Pinball Machines

#4 9 years ago

They work fine.

Are you sure it's installed correctly?

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, it sounds like you have it in upside down.

#6 9 years ago

they work fine on "some machines"... on others, the curved lip needs to be filed down some so that it does not hit the bracket before the plunger is completely pulled in... i putzed with this for quite some time before figuring out what the heck was going on...

#8 9 years ago

Mind my aweful artwork, but isn't this how it should be assembled?

asm1.pngasm1.png
#9 9 years ago

Looks right.

#10 9 years ago

Yeah.. when assembled that way the lip seems like it's crashing into the stop too soon.

So it does sound like I should be using the flat ones! -- Will order them off marco! Thanks guys!

#12 9 years ago

Holy smokes. 90 cents. Nice.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Mahwhoie:

Yeah.. when assembled that way the lip seems like it's crashing into the stop too soon.
So it does sound like I should be using the flat ones! -- Will order them off marco! Thanks guys!

The Gott yokes are a lot stronger, stamped steel vs pot metal.
Grind about half the lip off and go with them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Unisex

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-curved-yokes-not-work-on-williams-em-pop-bumpers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.