(Topic ID: 16669)

Do Cliffy Protectors negatively affect Collectibility and Re-Sale value?

By myoozician

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mrgone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I recently bought a Super Mario Bros. Gottlieb machine in amazingly good condition. I expect that as the years pass this machine will appreciate because a Super Mario machine can be considered a collector's item to some and there are so many of these machines in disrepair, but only a handful in as good condition as the one I am now the proud owner of. My question is this:

I want to install cliffy protectors to keep the playfield in tip-top shape, but does gluing down metal cliffy's affect the "collector's" value of the machine?

I know collectors can be very particular about what parts are original and what should and should not be found on an authentic collector's item.

What do you think?

#2 11 years ago

You should absolutely install the protectors, as they will protect the playfield from future wear. If you sell the game down the road and for some reason the buyer doesn't want the protectors, they can easily remove them.

#3 11 years ago

You have to Glue them down? If you dont have Cliffy's on then just think how its going to look in in the future if you play the game. So do you want the pin to be beat up in the high traffic spots? You can also just put the pin in storage with no Cliffy's if its an investment and not play it.

#4 11 years ago

Most home owners who care that much about collectability put Cliffy protectors on anyway, so you're just saving them money and making the machine more attractive.

#5 11 years ago

Cliffy's are built to look factory, and they are easily removed, or so I hear. Never personally removed one.

#6 11 years ago

I would actually look for that in buying a pin.

#7 11 years ago

Cliffy's are so good I started to use them around the house to prevent damage!!

#8 11 years ago

Cliffy protectors are very easy to install or remove and I would always want them installed if it is an option.

I would suggest taking pictures prior to install so you can show a future buyer the condition of wear spots that are covered by the protectors prior to application.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would suggest taking pictures prior to install so you can show a future buyer the condition of wear spots that are covered by the protectors prior to application.

A very good suggestion.

#10 11 years ago

You do not glue down Cliffy protectors...

And they only help the value of the pin since they help prevent scoop wear.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from btrip:

You do not glue down Cliffy protectors...

Correct. Occasionally, depending on where and how the Cliffy is mounted, it will have small piece of double-sided tape on the underside of the protector that helps keep it down on the playfield. This is easily reversible and does not leave ANY sort of residue on the playfield itself.

IMO, if Cliffy makes a protector for the game, and I own it, then the game will end up with it.

It has ZERO negative impact on price, is easily reversible, and actually HELPS in a re-sale because people can clearly tell that you maintain and take pride in your games.

Go get em' Cliffster!

#12 11 years ago

Every one of my pins, that has Cliffy protectors available, have them installed.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

#14 11 years ago

Get em, install them. Don't overthink it. The ones that tape down can be removed and the glue residue cleaned up easily.

#15 11 years ago

No buyer would ever be cranky that the seller cared this much to protect the playfield. In fact, go ahead and add two for double protection. Ya know, double bag it!

#16 11 years ago

I assume there's something hiding underneath them unless the rest of the machine is pristine. I'm crazy like that.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

That's funny!

Quoted from fattrain:

IMO, if Cliffy makes a protector for the game, and I own it, then the game will end up with it.

The same goes for me, I install them in every pin I own that he makes. If he does not make one that I think it needs then I keep sending Cliffy emails until he makes one. I have been bugging him for one for a certain pin but he does not have a machine to make it. I recently found a NOS PF for that pin. I had it shipping directly to him to make protectors for that pin. I am not going to say which pin, that is for Cliffy when he figures out how to make them. He stays pretty busy so I may be a while before he is able to get them made, but the pin has been waiting a while so I can wait.

#18 11 years ago

I have at least one Cliffy on every pin I have. I also have his colored post sleeves on all my pins. He makes awesome products which have improved my life tremendously. I have more confidence now, and I'm a much better public speaker as well.

#19 11 years ago

Taking pictures before install is a smart idea to prove it's not covering damage. Cliff makes some great protectors that can prevent damage and I see no reason why they would decrease the value of a pin. Cliff has given a lot to the community and it's good to know guys like him are around finding ways to help other pinheads out.

And to the best of my knowledge there is no Cliffy protector that you need to glue on they are all removable via screws already in place.

#20 11 years ago

Cliffy's...buy em!! I feel the Cliffy hymm coming on.....

#21 11 years ago

I just agreed to buy cliffy's for my LAH from a fellow Pinsider. I think it's a must have if they are available!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from myoozician:

My question is this:
I want to install cliffy protectors to keep the playfield in tip-top shape, but does gluing down metal cliffy's affect the "collector's" value of the machine?

As much as pinfooties do.

#23 11 years ago

No, Cliffys are important. If I bought a pin with scoop shots, Cliffys would come after.

#24 11 years ago

Lets put it this way, I got my JD and the same day I was ordering Cliffys. The pin did not need any. Its like getting a extended warranty for your pin. I would say YES to Cliffys. "A Cliffy a day keeps the scoop ware away"

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Every one of my pins, that has Cliffy protectors available, have them installed.

This. Ditto. Cliffys are man-da-tory.

#26 11 years ago

Before I put a Cliffy on any game, I try to find another example with more plays than mine. Some games need Cliffy's, some don't. SOL hole on a factory AFM? Definitely needs a Cliffy. Slot machine scoop on TZ? Surprisingly often, nope. A great place to scout potential wear is the PHOF. They don't use any protectors that I've ever seen.

Another consideration with Cliffy's is that they always make the shot slightly harder. Most don't notice it, but they do. If you're already struggling with the shot, a protector will not make it any easier. As mentioned, if you decide to install one, clean the area and take a pic first.

Collectability and resale value should not be considered IMO. Just ask yourself two questions. Does in need it and how will it play with it installed.

#27 11 years ago

All new pins should come with Cliffy protectors pre-installed from the factory IMHO.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

All new pins should come with Cliffy protectors pre-installed from the factory IMHO.

And there it is. You sir are correct!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I absolutely concur. In the old days, the pin manufacturers wanted the games to wear so that the ops would have an incentive to keep buying new machines. Now that these games are aimed primarily at the home market, I'm shocked that protectors don't come standard.

#30 11 years ago

Cliffy protectors simply protect your machines and do not devalue them in any way.

p

#31 11 years ago

They devalue them the same way that installing LEDs do.

#32 11 years ago

First thing I order for a new machine no matter what. I help a friend with parts sales sometimes at pin shows -- cliffys are most requested item after led bulbs.

#33 11 years ago

Only absolutely, which could be positively or negatively.

Dan

#34 11 years ago

Cliffy protectors are a big plus. I think this feeling is almost universal among pinheads.

#35 11 years ago

Hello Pillbox

=-) Enjoying your minty new game still. The cliffy protectors I sent you with this game should absolutely go on before the saucer holes get serious wear. I would have installed them myself but it was already out the door. Email the video you said you took after installing full LED's when you get time. I still really want to see it with LED's. As for the pics just keep the ones I sent you I took them days before shipment.

Thanks again and enjoy your new game.

#36 11 years ago

To err is human. To Cliffy, divine.

A Cliff in time saves nine.

A Cliffy saved is a pinball earned.

I dunno I got nothing

Install 'em.

#37 11 years ago

Cliffy's not only protect your playfield, but they make you a better player. No more lazy balls rolling by that happen to fall into a blown out scoop hole. You need to be spot on when shooting with those on your game. Great products. Have them on all my games. Still waiting on my Chartman Hole protector to be invented. Thanks Cliffy.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Most home owners who care that much about collectability put Cliffy protectors on anyway, so you're just saving them money and making the machine more attractive.

Yep!

#39 11 years ago

cliffy should get an award for all he has done to preserve pinball. thanks cliffy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-cliffy-protectors-negatively-affect-collectibility-and-re-sale-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.