Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Spraynard
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

moviegames_(resized).png
    moviegame_(resized).png
    #1 8 years ago

I was listening to the Skill shot pincast today and they brought up a theory that bad movies make for better games. I too have had this thought (as I love BSD, Shadow, Congo, Demolition Man, etc), and have heard others mention it as well. I figured this was a pervasive enough of an idea that it was worth examining empirically.

I pulled as many games I could think of that were based on movie franchises, and looked up their Rotten Tomatoes score as well as their Pinside rating. Obviously game quality and movie quality are subjective, but this seemed like a straightforward way of doing it. Next, I made a simple scatter plot with a best-fit line.

As can be seen on the scatter plot, contrary to the popular belief, there is actually a positive relationship between game rating and movie rating. I should note that this relationship was not quite statistically reliable (p = .075). So, at best we can say there is no relationship between movie quality and game quality.

Anyways, thought you'd all enjoy this one. Happy to slice and dice the data in other ways based on your suggestions. Also let me know if I missed a game. I pulled this thing together pretty quickly.

moviegame_(resized).pngmoviegame_(resized).png

#2 8 years ago

Interesting graph, thanks for compiling this data...

#3 8 years ago

Hard to work out. Loved T2 as a movie, loved the game.
    Disliked Last Action Hero as a movie, loved the game.
    Never watched Star Trek (ever), didn't mind the game.

#4 8 years ago

Cool graph!

I do think that a bad movie influences the pinside rating of the machine. I think the theme counts a lot in the overall pinball rating.
    It's probably pretty safe to say that machines with the same pinside rating are probably more fun the lower the RT score since they don't have a good theme to boost their score.

#5 8 years ago

Wizard! was the first ever movie themed pinball machine. Love the machine, my favorite em, but didn't care much for the movie Tommy.

#6 8 years ago

Where's BSD on the graph was it that bad?

#9 8 years ago

So I just realized that several games were not showing up. I regenerated the plot with some new parameters...

moviegames_(resized).pngmoviegames_(resized).png

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Wizard! was the first ever movie themed pinball machine. Love the machine, my favorite em, but didn't care much for the movie Tommy.

did not know that! I will add later. thanks.

#11 8 years ago

Very interesting data. Had the Shadow movie been a hit the game would probably be worth as much as AFM / MM. I just picked one up and it's an incredible pin. So much game for the price.

#12 8 years ago

Your graph is super interesting. The way I read it, my JM wins for "best pin / worst movie" combo! Sweet. I could only watch the movie once.

#13 8 years ago

Rotten Tomatos gave the IJ4 movie a good rating? So much for that rating system.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Rotten Tomatos gave the IJ4 movie a good rating? So much for that rating system.

Well, some of these games were not based off a single movie, but a series of movies. When this happened, I took the mean of all movies covered. Stern IJ actually has elements from all 4 movies in it, so it was the mean RT score of those 4 movies.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-bad-movies-make-better-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.