(Topic ID: 39767)

Do any of you STTNG owners think Steve Ritchie can out do the original.

By jeff_286

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Yes this is speculation,but STTNG is one complex pin that would costly to reproduce at Stern.

#2 11 years ago

No. Sorry not an owner though.

Even if technical wise it ends up being close, equal, or even better, the theme can never be touched.

#3 11 years ago

But why would they try to reproduce it? It will be done Stern Style. No Subways, no habitrails, that right there makes it impossible to duplicate STTNG. Id bet whatever SR is gonna do, it will have more in common with ACDC than the ol' Williams Star Trek game.

#4 11 years ago

Look at Indiana Jones-Williams and then what Stern did as an example of what is to come

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

the theme can never be touched.

Oh, well Im not an old Trek fan. I much prefer the new movies over any other Star Trek property.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Oh, well Im not an old Trek fan. I much prefer the new movies over any other Star Trek property.

Then I will be interested what you think. You will be far less biased than most.

#7 11 years ago

I liked STTNG the show.....and I really love my STTNG the pinball machine.

I also really like the new movies and I'm super hyped about the upcoming pin. (But not pre-ordering one.....I don't play that way).

They have the best team in pinball working on it (IMHO), so it has a chance to be great. Topping STTNG is a tall order though. It truly is a marvel of ingenuity and theme integration.

#8 11 years ago

Tough to say but Ritchie seems to still be at the top of his game. Even if it doesn't match it, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

#9 11 years ago

I think the new pin will be great. But I don't expect it to be better then sttng. I love Steve Ritchie's work so it will probably be something I like no matter what.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from jeff_286:

Yes this is speculation,but STTNG is one complex pin that would costly to reproduce at Stern.

No. Love Steve and Lyman, but with all the constraints at Stern from cost to quality...not too mention that the market for pins is completely different than it was in 1993, there is no way they can outdo STTNG, which is the best game ever made IMHO. They have the opportunity to make a damn good game, but there is only one STTNG.

#11 11 years ago

Rumor is it's going to be on their new platform...so who knows what kind of innovations we might see.

#12 11 years ago

No. Based on the simple matter of over half a dozen actors' worth of custom pinball voice call-outs. I don't think we'll see that ever again....

Later,
EV

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

No. Based on the simple matter of over half a dozen actors' worth of custom pinball voice call-outs. I don't think we'll see that ever again....
Later,
EV

Hmm...well, JJ Abrams is like the "king of geeks"...I wouldn't be surprised if he was into pinball and was proactive in helping Stern. Wishful thinking.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hmm...well, JJ Abrams is like the "king of geeks"...I wouldn't be surprised if he was into pinball and was proactive in helping Stern. Wishful thinking.

Then maybe someday we can finally get a decent Star Wars pin then too...

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...I wouldn't be surprised if he was into pinball and was proactive in helping Stern.

If the fun bunch on Avengers couldn't pull it off, I'm afraid I don't see much hope.

#16 11 years ago

No subways!

Not a wide body.

I'm told it will be a new layout and have faith in Steve R that this pin will be great. In fact, there are not many Steve Ritchie pins that I do not absolutely love.

#17 11 years ago

I don't think SR can out do the original due partly to budget constraints (Stern would charge $12K for a pin built with all the features/quality of STTNG), but mostly due to him becoming less inspired/lazy with his designs. Designers these days seem content just to re-hash past designs (T2-ACDC) rather than come up with something new that is original and great. I do think Lyman has a shot at eclipsing STTNG's software although I consider that game to have one of the best rule-sets of the 90's.

#18 11 years ago

I don't think the creative types on these licenses are let within 500 feet of merchandising on these properties. Just sooooo much of it and they already have their hands full with the actual movies. Thats why you pay a small army of pencil pushers to pursue and oversee everything license related.

Im thinking guys like those in the focus group meetings in 'Big'

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

No subways!
Not a wide body.

Two strikes against it right there!

#20 11 years ago

I have STTNG its Great,I have SM its even better.Yes Steve can out do his self.I already own a STTNG,I want the Star Trek 2013 with new technology!!!!

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

I already own a STTNG,I want the Star Trek 2013 with new technology!!!!

What kind of new technology?

#22 11 years ago

The rumored new circuit boards ,LCD and maybe some new SR innovations.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from jeff_286:

STTNG is one complex pin that would costly to reproduce at Stern.

There are plenty of STTNGs around, why would they reproduce them?

Steve can do a much better job this time.

All the plastic ships can be from the movie and painted/decaled - not like those terrible white "shuttles" in STTNG.

Much more memory for music and sounds.

AC/DC is a much better game than STTNG, so you already know STTNG can be topped.

#24 11 years ago

I think one of the big differences is that STTNG had an incredible amount of custom VO from the talent on the show. Stern hasn't really shown the willingness to pay for this, which could leave the new pin lacking in the audio department.

I really love STTNG and I'm not a huge fan of the show. Unless it does something amazing I can't see myself having two Trek games in the collection.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I can't see myself having two Trek games in the collection.

Like it or not, you are going to need 4 Trek games now.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Look at Indiana Jones-Williams and then what Stern did as an example of what is to come

Not really a fair comparison, for many reasons.

I hope he can outperform with Stern, but I don't think I would bet on it with the budget he would be alotted.

Rob

#27 11 years ago

If it's anything like JJ's movies it will have way too much lens flare to even be able to see the ball...

On a serious note, without subways and without a widebody 100% no. You can simply fit more into a wide body.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All the plastic ships can be from the movie and painted/decaled - not like those terrible white "shuttles" in STTNG.

True, I love the real model that's painted & decaled of the Helicarrier in Avengers.

#29 11 years ago

Steve I'm sure had more constraints at Williams than he does with Stern now. And he got back in the saddle so to speak with AC/DC and his return to pinball and Stern.

So I think he's going to make an outstanding game. Might be the best game of his career.

LTG : )

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

True, I love the real model that's painted & decaled of the Helicarrier in Avengers.

Or the canon in AC/DC. That's Steve's game and they did a fantastic job with that. Really puts those "terrible white shuttles" to shame. The shuttles are so bad, I can't remember where the 2nd white shuttle even is in the game.

#31 11 years ago

No.

#33 11 years ago

I do not care for the Star Trek theme, but I have no doubt in my mind he will. Especially with the larger budget, LCD screen, and Gary wanting to destroy the competition.........ST will be it!

Put me down for one.....

#34 11 years ago

Why are we so sure it won't have subways or habitrails? AC/DC has been very successful for Stern. Isn't it reasonable to assume that they may give him a bit more leeway this time around? Might not happen that way, but curious as to why everyone seems to have already ruled it out.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Or the canon in AC/DC. That's Steve's game and they did a fantastic job with that.

HA!

Quoted from Goonie:

Why are we so sure it won't have subways or habitrails?

I think it's accepted that's a Gary rule for his machines.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Or the canon in AC/DC. That's Steve's game and they did a fantastic job with that. Really puts those "terrible white shuttles" to shame. The shuttles are so bad, I can't remember where the 2nd white shuttle even is in the game.

Just think - in Star Trek they could use two of those fantastic canons!!!

#37 11 years ago

I love my STTNG, but I dont want STTNG 2. I think it could be great. I have STTNG, SM and ACDC so I like this team. I wont pre-order but will likely pick up a premium.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

AC/DC is a much better game than STTNG, so you already know STTNG can be topped.

That's a bold statement. The majority might say it's better.......but much better?

#39 11 years ago

No way! I love Steve, but if you are a Trekkie, STTNG is amazing and could never be out done! Steve would have to work for JJP to out do STTNG. ACDC is not better than STTNG. The are both excellent games, but too different to compare.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

The are both excellent games, but too different to compare.

That's where I'm at too.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

The majority might say it's better.......but much better?

If you own them both, you would agree; much better.

But, that is what we all want, isn't it?

I'd hate to think that 20 years latter a new pinball machine couldn't be better than an antique one.

#42 11 years ago

I own IJ Williams and bought IJ4 without even playing it. Wow, big mistake!! IJ4 was a brutal follow up to IJ Williams.

I own STTNG and will I buy Star Trek 2013? I really want to believe the new Star Trek 2013 is going to be amazing but after the IJ train wreck, I think I'm gonna wait till the new one comes out and there is some feedback on this machine.

You know what they say, "Fool me once, shame on you", "fool me twice, I'm a freakin idiot!!"

QSS

#43 11 years ago

Don't buy ANY new game without playing it, ever.

People thought, because of Tron LE, that each following game was going to be a gold mine.

Don't believe it.

#44 11 years ago

I'm worried that they might be building the new Star Trek pin too soon. SR is going to have his work cut out for him. As good as the last movie was and even with the new movie added in, there isn't a lot of the usual material to work with. There's very little space travel so far and possibly a little Klingon action in the new movie, but not much exploration so far and none of the usual alien adversaries. I hope the modes aren't limited to "collect the starfleet crew."

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

But why would they try to reproduce it? It will be done Stern Style. No Subways, no habitrails, that right there makes it impossible to duplicate STTNG. Id bet whatever SR is gonna do, it will have more in common with ACDC than the ol' Williams Star Trek game.

God, let's hope so! (ACDC owner speaking)

For those of you who enjoy STTNG, I would expect you will be disappointed with any new Star Trek pin. How can anyone top your favourite pin?

Personally I would like to see a super fast paced game with the Star Trek theme.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Steve can do a much better job this time.

Ahem...

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

People thought, because of TRON LE, that each following game was going to be a gold mine.

And AC/DC BiBLE, coincidentally Steve's last game. And Black SM, Steve's previous game to that. It's almost like there's a trend.

There will be things better and some things not as good, as you can't beat STTNG across the board. Without being a widebody, you won't have the same shot selection. And some things just don't map directly, like the Delta ramp is waaay better than the SM Venom ramp for instance. No matter, it will be awesome and the LE's will go fast and then history will refer to the winners like Tron LE, BSM, BiBLE, and ST13LE. This won't be IJ4 that's for sure.

#48 11 years ago

I don't believe the original STTNG will be a realistic comparison to the new Star Trek.
I don't doubt Steve's new Star Trek will be great for sure though, hail to the king!

#49 11 years ago

I am definately excited to see this game. I can see this playfield having some challenging shots.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 63.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-any-of-you-sttng-owners-think-steve-ritchie-can-out-do-the-original and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.