By sleepygtr

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Vishay/Dale, Cherry, and Babcock are all good. Some folks prefer one brand over the other but there is little consensus - I have googled it and read just about every thread. In other words, if you are buying one the most important factors are burn-in (if used) and the date on the back if you are deciding between two options. What I will offer here is a debatable ranking of the 3 and urge anyone to add to this thread or change my order: Best to Worst
    1) Vishay/Dale: These guys are still in business and i think (as of 2012) are still manufacturing in bulk quantities to pinball suppliers... There have also been reports of folks getting a bad one fixed or replaced so there is a semblance customer service still available on these.
    2) Cherry: No longer manufacturing and were probably the best back in the day because they seem really well-built, but the ones that are out there are generally really OLD so I would avoid because its only a matter of time before they begin to go bad.
    3) Babcock: Also not manufacturing anymore, the Babcock DMD buzzes like a cricket stuck in electrical outlet and it drives me crazy! Some say the Babcock is brighter (and it oughta be with that sound) but I don't see it.... Some say they cant hear it but my theory is those inferior beings are less evolved.
    I do invite anyone to add to this thread...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmds-reviewed-since-you-asked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.