Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by crlush
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1) (resized).png
    Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-Purple-FL (resized).jpg
    hardware-blank (resized).png
    IMG_7513 (resized).PNG
    pinballmeme (resized).png
    IMG_0634 (resized).JPG
    cedplayer (resized).jpg
    IMG_4935 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 7 years ago

I think DMD's are more accurately compared with 8 bit graphics in video games. There's still a place for those despite the flashier graphics of newer games.

I never really wanted dots to disappear but just wanted them in color straight from the manufacture. It will be neat in a few years when someone revisits dot matrix graphics for a game like Breakshot did with referencing EMs. Maybe someone will make a DMD filter in their software you turn off and on.

#116 7 years ago

I'm kind of glad funhouse has an alphanumeric display. It keeps the player's focus on the playfield and towards Rudy.

It would be interesting what they would come up with for a sequel.

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea i get that but man i cld only imagine what great animations they cld have had for fh...

I don't think a DMD at that time would have been very good. I imagine it would have looked like Hurricane or TAF. The animations for those games did the job but were crude. It wasn't till a little later when they started to get good with DMD animations. BSD and TZ are really good.

I wonder if we'll have to wait a few years till Stern gets good with the LCD. Thinking about that makes WOZ more impressive being the first effort from a new company.

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I'm most curious about what this will do to the AFMr pricing. While it is an LCD display, factory dots is what is there. With Stern being in the LCD era finally, I really want to know what the remakes will be priced at.

Maybe they'll come straight from the factory with the color ROM installed probably with a menu option to change back into original dots. That would be cool.

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

As long as the tech doesn't become the focus IMO and it's always on the game, then the tech is welcome. I think many modern video games and even 3D CGI movies got this wrong... preferring to showcase tech over gameplay (or story).

You nailed it. Reminds me of early DS games that tacked on unhandy touch screen controls to show off the new tech.

I kind of feel that's what's wrong with Dialed In. The phone controls should have been a neat addition but it feels like they based the theme on it. If those controls would have been on TH, we would be saying how cool and innovative JJP is. Instead it's kind of a joke on a great playing game because of the theme.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmds-just-became-vhs?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.