Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by crlush
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1) (resized).png
    Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-Purple-FL (resized).jpg
    hardware-blank (resized).png
    IMG_7513 (resized).PNG
    pinballmeme (resized).png
    IMG_0634 (resized).JPG
    cedplayer (resized).jpg
    IMG_4935 (resized).JPG
    There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 7 years ago

It's over my friends, your DMD games just became dated and devalued. Be careful how much you spend on those color DMD's because they are ancient. After seeing Batman66 and Aerosmith, I will not be paying a lot for DMD titles.....No friggin way!

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

It's over my friends, your DMD games just became dated and devalued. Be careful how much you spend on those color DMD's because they are ancient. After seeing Batman66 and Aerosmith, I will not be paying a lot for DMD titles.....No friggin way!

You are absolutely right. I'll give you $3000 for your game of thrones and your lucky to get that.

#3 7 years ago

I'm confused. Last I checked all the fun was under the glass.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

You are absolutely right. I'll give you $3000 for your game of thrones and your lucky to get that.

Alphanumeric will be even worse.

1200 for the Bk2000.

#5 7 years ago

I guess my funhouse is a beta max then and I should just toss it out into the fire pit.

#6 7 years ago

You still need the gameplay to have great games. There is a reason WW and FH are rated so high despite no DMD.

The LCD display is long overdue but don't lose sight of the great playing games that already exist.

#7 7 years ago

Ahh ok.... i still perfer the animations on the color dmd...at least till they get better at programing the lcds. Also i enjoy whats under the glass and really dont matter to me whats on the display as long as it lets me know my stats. Case in point , i just got a restored fh and absolutely love it and its a blast to play..... no dmd at all.

#8 7 years ago

This is akin to John Lasseter saying that 2D feature animation is dead and 3D is all we need. Or an unnamed idiot claiming that since we have Photoshop, nobody will ever oil paint again.

Agreed with others that the important stuff is fairly old-tech, and it's on the playfield.

#9 7 years ago

I'll just take your funhouse. No need to burn it. I'm into nostalgia

#10 7 years ago

I'm assuming op was being sarcastic and/or trolling.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I guess my funhouse is a beta max then and I should just toss it out into the fire pit.

Heck, I'll take it off your hands for a couple of crisp dollar bills...

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

I'm assuming op was being sarcastic and/or trolling.

Honestly, I am not trolling, I think the new LCD looks amazing and will put serious pricing pressure on high priced LE and premium DMD games.

#13 7 years ago

Virtual pinball made the switch to colour LCD 8 years ago. Glad to see real world pinball games finally catching up.

#14 7 years ago

Honestly, I am not trolling, I think the new LCD looks amazing and will put serious pricing pressure on high priced LE and premium DMD games.

Sorry, but if someone gave me one of these brand new pins I wouldn't even take it out of the box. (Well, I'd probably play Dialed in some). I would rather just trade it off for a couple of good classics that are fun to play. More than 90% of the time I'm not even looking at the video screen, my eyes are on the ball(s).

#15 7 years ago

Displays are ancillary - the game is on the playfield. My next pin will have bulb scoring.

#16 7 years ago

Let's hear it for Nixie tubes!!! I agree, the LCD displays are beautiful for others to look at while i may be playing but my attention is in the play field and not the LCD unless it is between balls. I disagree that the evolution of the display changes the fun value of the game.

#17 7 years ago

Now if you'd said that DMDs are the new vinyl records I might agree with you...

#18 7 years ago

"Hey Gary, upgrading to lcd is going to be expensive! We're going to need new EVERYTHING!"
    "Tack it on to the next game"
    "Yeah, we'll nail an old batman card on every machine!"

True story.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

I'm confused. Last I checked all the fun was under the glass.

Can confirm, nothing to worry about.

(P.S. I think the new Stern backbox/speaker panel design is the ugliest thing ever, I wouldn't buy one for half price)

IMG_4935 (resized).JPGIMG_4935 (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Ha!! Stern games have been "VHS" for far too much longer than they should have been. Hell I think they were the last pinball maker to use a DMD display! Ghostbuster's hasn't been out that long. But the funny thing is you are just now getting around to seeing color displays? WTF? HA HA!

#21 7 years ago

Glad I kept all my vinyl. These 8-track games of today are just a passing phase. I can sense it.

#22 7 years ago

I disagree, the shots, the rules, theme integration, and player interaction are what make a great game. All of this takes place under the glass for the player. If anything, DMDs will become nostalgic and more collectable.

#23 7 years ago

It took you over 3 years to come to this conclusion? WOZ has been floating around since 2013.

#24 7 years ago

I am not saying all games will tank, but as more LCD games get released, people are going to be less likely to want and shell out 6500-8000 for older DMD titles. Games that cost 1-$3000 will never go down in price as they are the entry price point, where the most demand exists. The problem with JJP until now was, their entry price point was too high and they had not put out enough games to impact the market like what we will see with Stern.

#25 7 years ago

VHS player = Best wedding gift ever!

#26 7 years ago

Most hardly ever even look at the screen,I am happy stern moved on but classic dots are going to be missed by some and prices will go up and down on games but not because of what is in the back box,I have ft,woz and hobbit and still tough to look up much even screens in the playfield don't add much Either ,imho

#27 7 years ago

A big statement though i doubt it

#28 7 years ago

I am not saying all games will tank, but as more LCD games get released, people are going to be less likely to want and shell out 6500-8000 for older DMD titles. Games that cost 1-$3000 will never go down in price as they are the entry price point, where the most demand exists. The problem with JJP until now was, their entry price point was too high and they had not put out enough games to impact the market like what we will see with Stern.

Ever hear of ColorDMD? Seems like this is a trolling thread

#29 7 years ago

No different to buying TV's - every year new screens come out and yesterday's models depreciate.

It's normal and of course it will happen as why on earth should pinball be different?

Probably will take a little longer as many will be in denial.

I have a TWD Premium and of course it would look better with one of the new screens - it's still an awesome game though.

#30 7 years ago

I agree 100% here; once you see and play batman 66 you will never want to go back to dmd

#31 7 years ago

This will never happen. Great games will remain great games and they will not be undervalued just because they are lacking a LCD display. And a LCD doesn't raise the price level of a game just because it has a more expensive feature in it when someone goes to sell it.....just like people don't think add on MODS should factor into the price of a game they want. There are many solid state games out there that kill some DMD games....that screen isn't saving them from there delapitated price points

#32 7 years ago

...and the Kindle will make physical books obsolete.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

I agree 100% here; once you see and play batman 66 you will never want to go back to dmd

Your buying pins for the wrong reasons then..... if u care that much about the screen gaming may be more your thing....

#34 7 years ago

I own a WoZ and my next game is going to be a DMD. So... yeah, you can enjoy both LCD and DMD at the same time. It's not even hard.

#35 7 years ago

So non-DMD games must be completely worthless now, right? I'm just waiting for all the stupid people who own a EATPM or Fathom to throw them in the trash so I can scoop them up.

#36 7 years ago

Am i tye only one who loves dmds over lcds? For now at least?

#37 7 years ago

I love my classic pins! I don't need a DMD screen to watch while I'm playing pinball

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Am i tye only one who loves dmds over lcds? For now at least?

Nope, me too. I think the aspect ratio fits the backboard better, creates less negative space (around the edges of the scoring screen) and leaves more room for backglass art. The resolution may be better... but who says it needed to be better?

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Your buying pins for the wrong reasons then..... if u care that much about the screen gaming may be more your thing....

Really bro I've been collecting for over 17 years now I love pinball and hate video games unless it is super nes or before

#40 7 years ago

awesome! I have been looking to pick upa few more of these outdated turds! When are you selling?

#41 7 years ago

I can understand that for a person that is a non pinhead, that will be the reaction.
    I was at a location that had Ghostbusters and The Hobbit side by side.
    Ghostbusters looked old compared to The Hobbit.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I own a WoZ and my next game is going to be a DMD. So... yeah, you can enjoy both LCD and DMD at the same time. It's not even hard.

Agree, Kirk.

But, the point is would GB be better with the new screen? Of course it would

#43 7 years ago

Pinball is a physical experience if you want to stare at a pretty screen go play a video game.

#44 7 years ago

So I guess alpha numeric is beta video, and numeric games are 8 mm film.
    Who would have guessed that?

#45 7 years ago

I guess my restored EM games and my Classic Sterns are worth nothing now.

Time to call 1-800-got junk

#46 7 years ago

I'm a fan of all eras, no matter the scoring display (lit numbers, reels, digital, alpha numeric, DMD, LCD), as long as the action on the playfield is fun, because the action on the playfield is where it's always been. This is pinball afterall. I mean, man.. classic Ballys and classic Sterns are so much fun, and those were way before DMD even.

#47 7 years ago

Weren't you one of the ones that said the KISS machine would be awesome?

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Weren't you one of the ones that said the KISS machine would be awesome?

Funny that you mention that. I was just thinking how this thread reminds me of the Kenada "stern can kiss the competition goodbye thread".

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

I guess my restored EM games and my Classic Sterns are worth nothing now.
    Time to call 1-800-got junk

The number has been changed, please PM me directly for the new contact info and someone will be out for your games shortly.

#50 7 years ago

WOZs have been sitting beside new Sterns for years, like Star Trek and TWD, and those still earn and perform well.

Fortunately Stern has been good about "the world under the glass" and their lighting upgrades probably have made more of a difference than anything.

There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmds-just-became-vhs?hl=pin-bot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.