IMG_9901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9900 (resized).jpeg
3pu1kq (resized).jpg
75429320_2661710413892905_3615448893623369728_o.jpg
e60eb69d-5797-4e30-8f65-e1e33d1749f9.jpg
f6931b0f-0994-4cf6-b399-91336dfd2b2c.jpg
d653713e-61e6-4adb-b88e-193a58caab47.jpg
SLEIC.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steve45.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#409 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Well here's another voice speaking out against Joerg Amman (Lucky1) and his theft of other projects. Lucky1 and Steve also ripped off ColorDMD's patented method for real-time recognition and colorization of pinball frames. I'm not speaking about the general idea of coloring frames. This is a very specific method for uniquely identifying frames based on static content while ignoring dynamic content like scores.
The infringement is so brazen as the Pin2DMD editior and documentation use the same terminology of "hashes" and 'masks" described in the patent. I specifically contacted them to request that they remove the ColorDMD methods before distributing the V2 editor ...

Just one comment to that magic method we ripped off or implemented directly using your patents: pin2dmd just applies a bit mask to a frame (or plane) and calculates a hash over the result. This is very obvious and straight forward and nothing innovative. I'm quite sure you will never get patent protection for such an easy thing outside the US. To further enlighten the interested reader, you may quote that part of your parents that describes exactly that simple principle.

Br Steve

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

To enlighten the interested reader, here's the figure directly from the patent which steve45 copied and implemented in PIN2DMD without permission.

I assume this is pulled out of this patent US20120190440, just to give the complete context. Not sure what exactly to read out of this figure even if I add the description from the text. But I did not even read the document, until Randy starts complaining. And I'm not sure whether if would have been helpful or confusing.

The only thing pin2dmd does is masking and hashing. so maybe we use this part.

We do not have a lookup table, nor do we have an address buffer or doing anything in parallel. And honestly: what's innovative about masking (or normalizing) a piece of data and then creating a hash or a message digest? This is so commonly used in various applications like digital signatures and many more

US20120190440_-_Google-Suche (resized).pngUS20120190440_-_Google-Suche (resized).png

#421 6 years ago

What I read from that is simply: you what to use (or abuse) patents to protect your business. If one follows your argumentation you couldn't build frame detection / tagging at all. Also linking whatever information to such a frame tag should be protected by your patent? So no one could implement a hash map or binary search?

My understanding is that putting such simple operations like masking, hashing, looking up some information together should not be protectable by patents at all. The US patents laws are more like an exception here, where everything like "one-click-order" can be protected by patents. This is more an innovation killer than anything else.

But you are right: in the end anybody should form an opinion and decide for one solution or the other: either buy colorDMD as a ready to use professional product with nice colorizations or give the community project a try (or even contribute) which still has lots of DIY.

#423 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

A Pin2DMD is not a copy of a PinDMD. Its all original and the name is just a coincidence.
A Go-DMD is not a copy of a Run-DMD. It's all original and the name is just a coincidence.
A Rasberry PInsound is not a copy of a PInSound. It's all original and the name (which was later changed after a trademark dispute) is just a coincidence.
A method for masking/hashing/colorizing pinball frames is not a copy of a method for masking/hashing/colorizing pinball frames. It's all original and the terminology is just a coincidence.
There's either a whole lot of coincidences or a whole lot of copying going on where you and Steve are concerned. Since I can't tell the difference between s diesel and petrol engine, I'll let people smarter than me decide and wait for your next great "invention."

I thought we were talking about colorDMD and your patents? Yes we do something similar as colorDMD does, because we are going for the same goal: colorizing pinball dmd frames. But the way we do it is different in various aspects from colorDMD: different hardware, different firmware, also different algorithms (just guessing: I never looked at a colorDMD device, I don't own one).

What you are trying to do is to suppress the use of basic building blocks like hashing or masking, just because you have a vague description in you patent.

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

... A Go-DMD is not a copy of a Run-DMD. ...

I never claimed that go DMD isn't kind of a copy of a Run DMD. It was clearly inspired by the work of Torbjörn, which is explicitly mentioned on the goDMD site. But no one has a problem with that (except you maybe). Neither Torbjörn nor the distributor guy (don't remember the name) ever approached me. It's just an alternative project. Each has its pro's and con's, so just let the user decide, which he likes more.

Of course technically everything is different / nothing is copied: hardware is different, firmware as well and "content" anyway. So what's your point here?

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

And here on the Go-DMD clock page is a link to "Rasberry-Pinsound". Interesting name as it was designed to replace the PinSound invention and use the same community sound files developed to support it. Had a long conversation with the founders of PinSound at TPF this year, who expressed real frustration that both their invention and name were copied.
https://go-dmd.de/produkt/raspberry-pinsound-image/

Here's Steve's own thread on Pinside openly discussing his project where he actually states that sounds can be downloaded from the PinSound forum.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi#post-3566278

There are various sources for alternative sounds, in the post I was mentioning two of them. And the pinsound creators did not create the sounds, most of them are modifications / rips from roms or created by the community. Are you really saying just because someone build a replacement soundcard for pinball machines, no one else should try something similar with a small controller or SOC like Raspi?

Again everybody can choose: buy a pinsound as a ready to use product with support for a lot of machine types and professional support or play around with some DIY project.

BTW: there's many sound card replacements out there for pinball machines with different features.

Steve

#491 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Hi Crash.

DMDMK66 will never be compatible with that german product, for several reasons:
1.- My product is a commercial product, and that other product is a domestic product, for amateurs, in addition with a restrictive license
2.- I never work or share anything with bad people, like those two german guys. One day I will tell the story of those two guys, so that everyone will knows their true behavior, based on envy, hypocrisy, economic interests, betrayal, false accusations, and more. I will tell you one of these days, now I am very busy in the important things.

What product to buy?, You decide, I see it obvious.
1.- DMDMK66 is a professional product, you just have to see the hardware pictures, to realize the tremendous difference. The competitor product is a very poor quality design, made at home by people who have no idea of ​​anything, simply looking for easy money.
2.- DMDMK66 192x64 is 100% plug and play, the other product uses an external power supply, a totally obsolete idea, have not even been able to directly connect to 12V DC, denoting that they have no idea of ​​electronics, not even the most elemental.
3.- DMDMK66 does not need to pay the licenses, money you save, besides the time you lose with the activation of those licenses, and if someday you have to change the hardware you will have to pay again, if that product still exists (something I doubt a lot).
4.- DMDMK66 does not need to wait for any activation, it connects and works immediately, you will not have to wait and wait, sometimes it takes a lot of time, I have had clients that have taken up to 10 days to receive that activation for DMDST32, and if they have claimed by mail have received no reply.

As for the advanced coloration, I have been working some time ago in the Magic Color Editor tool, which will be compatible with ALL the DMDMK66 of the three resolutions (128x32, 128x16 and 192x64).
Keep in mind that my product is relatively young, with a first version of firmware released recently. The german product has been available for over a year, and yet the product they offer is tremendously bad for the time they have been working on it. Their color editor is extremely simple, if you read through the forum, you will see that someone who decided to color a game, needed more than 2 months to do it, so you can get an idea of ​​how simple that tool is
My Magic Color Editor will be accessible from the Internet, it will not be a software to run locally on your computer. This way you can use, with projects stored in the cloud, from any computer and operating system, Windows, Linux, MAC, Android, etc ...
It takes much more than some color images to offer a good product, a color animation to impress people, when behind there is only one product of very poor quality, is not enough. Anyone who reads and compare, will immediately see the dangers of buying that german product. And if you have doubts, you only have to see in this forum and others, the amount of claims that are on that german seller, who receives money and does not send anything, or takes months to ship, nor reply to the emails of complaints received, which are many. Are you really going to trust someone like that?
And one more thing, when someone has to come to a competitor post to advertise their product, it only denotes a total lack of ethics and morale, which is the usual behavior of these two German guys, so you can already realize what kind of people are, be careful with those people. My advice, avoid them.
As for the future of the german product, you just have to see the null participation that has its official forum, go to Vpuniverse and you will see how practically nobody publishes there, it is a DEAD forum. Like their product, a dying product, a product of very poor quality, which only tries to survive on the basis of behavior devoid of all ethics, null future.
I do not know what they are saying (the german guys), and I am not interested, because I have banned them (they are on my black list of ignored users), so I do not waste my time reading their nonsense and their awkward attempts to advertise their bad product in a post of a competitor. They are very bad people, toxic people to avoid without hesitation.

Now let each one decide and choose.
1.- DMDMK66, a quality product, well designed, with future, made by someone who knows electronics and programming (I'm electronic engineering and software programmer, for many years).
2.- A german product, very poor quality, with no future, made by people who lack even the smallest knowledge of electronics, and who are only carried away by money and total lack of ethics.

Greetings.

The only sentence I could agree is: "Now let each one decide and choose". As some of you may know I'm one of the two bad german guys Luis is referring to. I've never talked to him personally, so I'm not exactly sure what makes him so upset. In the beginning Lucky (Joerg) even talked about collaboration, but he started to use older versions of our open source software with his product and so we finally didn't get to an agreement.

In the meantime he develops hardware and software himself, published all kind of information in this thread, so everybody can see what he's doing. I curious to see the magic editor in action, if a first version is available. And then: let the people decide.

- Steve

1 week later
#498 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

.. I REALLY wish the PIN2DMD and PinballSP color files were cross compatible. Now I'm torn between which one I want to buy not knowing if or when this game and others will be done on the PinballSP platform and how they will look in comparison. It would make so much sense to make them cross compatible if technically possible. ...

I just want to mention that the pin2dmd editor is open source and there is also some documentation to the file formats itself. So if somebody volunteers to create kind of a converter or export plugin, it should be possible to get some kind of "cross compatibility". But it also heavily depends what features are supported by the controllers firmware.

2 weeks later
#553 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Honestly, it's the color editor and *SOMETHING* in the repository that's holding me up from a mass purchase at this point. Until we have an editor, frame-to-frame copy, and a collaborative effort toward a community repository of full-color games, I'm just chomping at the bit to swap out all of my orange/red DMDs.

Yes an editor, some (or at least one) colorized game and a firmware able to display such a colored game on a real machine would be nice.

#570 6 years ago

Maybe it help to provide some numbers: these displays use 2 led panels each with 64*32 pixels. Power consumption of the LEDs is controlled by switching them on and off at a high frequency so basically the duty cycle. For single rows there is normally no limiting of current which makes the panel rows LEDs burn easily if the driver fails.
Max duty cycle of all RGB LED (white) leads to an average of 4 mA per led at 5v. In a 4096 pixel display this is 16A!! And you can drive them higher I've tested this.

But never the less this is only theory. These panels are so bright that in pinball machines or those pinball clocks the power consumption is around 4-5 Amps depending on brightness settings, what is actually shown and pallettes used.

Obviously all white pixels requires most, but this is only rarely shown on a pinball.

#571 6 years ago

Maybe one thing to add: I use these panels in four of my machines and I always add an extra switching power supply with 5v and 7A just to be safe.

2 months later
#644 6 years ago

I can't help but wonder if it really was a good idea to rebuild everything from scratch on your own. It is a pity that we didn't manage to agree on a common approach ... at least make the file formats interchangeable (for colorization).
So sad ...

7 months later
#736 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The problem with PIN2DMD is the product is poorly designed and the people involved are untrustworthy. There have been multiple cases of DOA kits and Dom leaving customers hanging after he has taken their money.

Pin2dmd isn't a product. It's still a DIY project for people that like to build their own display replacement. You only need an acrylic mounting frame, two led panels, a shield, a Nucleo Dev board and some cheap electronic parts. Easy to assemble. I run three of these self build in my machines, never have had any problems.

It's true that customer of GGS had reported serveral problems with GGS, but there is no business relationship between Dom (GGS) and pin2dmd. Dom was offering ready to use kits that can be used with pin2dmd firmware. Just like pinballsp does (or did).

Br Steve

3 weeks later
1 week later
#783 5 years ago

I would have loved to see an open format for game colorizations, so that people doing game colorizations could do it for more than just one hardware and everybody could use it.

Maybe there is one editor or two, one display hardware or more color codings should be interchangeable.

Regarding editors or display hardware let people choose what they like best. Be it dmdmk66 or pin2dmd or something else.

/Steve

6 months later
#895 5 years ago

Hey Luis, very nice that you finally also have an editor. I've tried it today, but was not able to load a dump?!? Working on win7 64bit, create new 128x32 project, then "add dump" loading e.g. from your examples "lw3-2.08-dump.txt.gz" -> "Error importing, make sure the dump ..."

What do I wrong? Missed something?

Br Steve

1 year later
#1187 3 years ago

for swd you only need swdio and swdclk (and common ground of course). I would power the board otherwise not with the 3v3. for the mk66 maybe reset is necessary to stop the mcu, stm works without reset.
my "Luis" board picture attachedIMG_20210202_205847_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20210202_205847_1 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steve45.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way?tu=steve45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.