IMG_9901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9900 (resized).jpeg
3pu1kq (resized).jpg
75429320_2661710413892905_3615448893623369728_o.jpg
e60eb69d-5797-4e30-8f65-e1e33d1749f9.jpg
f6931b0f-0994-4cf6-b399-91336dfd2b2c.jpg
d653713e-61e6-4adb-b88e-193a58caab47.jpg
SLEIC.jpg
There are 1,203 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 25.
#51 7 years ago

No fadecandy code in pinDMD firmware at all. Not sure where you got that from?

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from NoahFentz:

Surely you mean the open source, not for commercial use without permission code, right?
Yeah, I don't think stealing and using the code commercially can be dismissed that easily. Nice try, though.

... says the man who is running a business selling vpin cabinets which are solely made to run vpinball etc and is taking money for unlimited download access to tables etc. Nice try too Paul !

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

No fadecandy code in pinDMD firmware at all. Not sure where you got that from?

Sorry Russel I meant Aurora since your RGB frames use the same format
https://github.com/pixelmatix/aurora

#54 7 years ago

This Tuesday, manufacturer will send me the PCB for DMDMK64, so hope receive Friday or Monday.

Meanwhile I have design this wireless controller board. This is a board that capture and read status of all Matrix Switches, Matrix Lamps and all direct outputs (bumpers, flashers, motors, etc...) and send those data wirelessly by WIFI, Bluetooth or 2.4Ghz radio module, board also install a wired CAN bus port (may be to connect to Spike bus, I must check yet).

This will be an universal wireless board to may control any MOD wirelessly if install some of those radio modules. My idea is transmit to MODs with 2.4Ghz radio, and use Bluetooth or WIFI to update and config devices. All my mods or devices will install at least Bluetooth to update/config.

I'm already designing several MODS to work with this board, I hope soon post more information, pictures, features, and when working, also videos about it. As soon as I assemble first prototype about DMDMK64 and test it, I will send this board to manufacturer and I will test wireless options with DMD to update/config, and with Topper to transmit status of all switches, lamps, bumpers, flashers, etc.. to play animations by events.

ScreenHunter_033 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_033 (resized).jpg

#55 7 years ago

Nice option but I don´t see the sense. When you are able to trigger every single event of the gameplay by keyframes on the DMD, why use the switchmatrix ? Or is this board intended for machines without DMD ? Why do you use a STM32F40X for this board ?

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Nice option but I don´t see the sense. When you are able to trigger every single event of the gameplay by keyframes on the DMD, why use the switchmatrix ? Or is this board intended for machines without DMD ? Why do you use a STM32F40X for this board ?

Events by keyframe is your idea, mine is very different, I work with status of switches, lamps, and direct outputs because also this controller board will be useful for many more MODS, not only DMD or Topper. For me events by Keyframe are very limited, but events by status of switches, lamps and direct outputs allow more options to play animations, do not depend from original animations, and may mix status of several outputs to trigger animations. At any rate my DMD also will may work with keyframes and send wireless to Topper trigger for play animations, so both options available.

Also your topper idea is by serial wired, mine is wireless Bluetooth.

Why I can not use STM32 ?, I decided use Kinetis for DMD to avoid suspicions and your claims about firmware, but for another hardware I will use STM32, Kinetis, PIC32 of Raspberry, according to what I see convenient or simply according to my preferences by available libraries, etc.

Your ideas and mine are very different about DMD and Topper, this product is full developed by me with no relation with third party firmware, so I may apply all my ideas. So if I add hardware, firmware will support.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

... says the man who is running a business selling vpin cabinets which are solely made to run vpinball etc and is taking money for unlimited download access to tables etc. Nice try too Paul !

LOL. For the last time, I have PERMISSION to do what I do! Since we don't ship cabinets with table files or ROMs, there's no issue with ANY of the manufacturers, past or present.

For VPForums, I went out and SOUGHT permission from those that could provide such permission. You should try it some time.

Nice, FAILED try!

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Events by keyframe is your idea, mine is very different, I work with status of switches, lamps, and direct outputs because also this controller board will be useful for many more MODS, not only DMD or Topper. For me events by Keyframe are very limited, but events by status of switches, lamps and direct outputs allow more options to play animations, do not depend from original animations, and may mix status of several outputs to trigger animations. At any rate my DMD also will may work with keyframes and send wireless to Topper trigger for play animations, so both options available.
Also your topper idea is by serial wired, mine is wireless Bluetooth.
Why I can not use STM32 ?, I decided use Kinetis for DMD to avoid suspicions and your claims about firmware, but for another hardware I will use STM32, Kinetis, PIC32 of Raspberry, according to what I see convenient or simply according to my preferences by available libraries, etc.
Your ideas and mine are very different about DMD and Topper, this product is full developed by me with no relation with third party firmware, so I may apply all my ideas. So if I add hardware, firmware will support.

For me this new board makes sense for non-dmd machines to control a topper and maybe for other mods like LED stripes etc.
I´m personally not a big fan of all that wireless noise generated by wifi interfaces and blutooth and prefer to use it only when no wired connection is possible. I hate it when I start a wifi or blutooth search on my mobile and the list of devices is unneccessarily long. Imagine 20 pinball machines in a game room and all looking for connections. Of course you can use different processors but for code and IDE compatibility reason I would build all devices on a single CPU architecture. But of course this is your project and preferences are different.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

When you are able to trigger every single event of the gameplay by keyframes on the DMD, why use the switchmatrix ?

Because a lot of stuff happens without the display? What about when you have stacking of events and prioritization happens for the display? Trailing the display for events would be very limited in what you can do... probably limiting you to more game state and major shot/toy functions. Nevermind how things like multi-ball would really start limiting what would be shown, and hence triggered.

A simple example.. what if you wanted to tie something to spinner hits? Not uncommon for spinners to be de-emphasized and now your custom event only happens 'sometimes'.

Maybe you want to follow the game's prioritization... so you get some of that for free.. maybe you don't (and now you get to decide if/when/how to handle stacking)

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I´m personally not a big fan of all that wireless noise generated by wifi interfaces and blutooth and prefer to use it only when no wired connection is possible. I hate it when I start a wifi or blutooth search on my mobile and the list of devices is unneccessarily long. Imagine 20 pinball machines in a game room and all looking for connections.

This is a reasonable point. Certainly, if you are to push ahead with this, I strongly recommend that you include signal transmission strength controls in your software / firmware. All the unshielded speaker cable and old audio boards aren't going to enjoy it at all. Being able to turn transmission strength down to the lowest usable setting would mostly prevent this.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because a lot of stuff happens without the display? What about when you have stacking of events and prioritization happens for the display? Trailing the display for events would be very limited in what you can do... probably limiting you to more game state and major shot/toy functions. Nevermind how things like multi-ball would really start limiting what would be shown, and hence triggered.
A simple example.. what if you wanted to tie something to spinner hits? Not uncommon for spinners to be de-emphasized and now your custom event only happens 'sometimes'.
Maybe you want to follow the game's prioritization... so you get some of that for free.. maybe you don't (and now you get to decide if/when/how to handle stacking)

The spinner example is a good point. Anyways I think I will wait and see how all this progresses on the software side.
Getting the information technically is one thing, how to use it another.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

This is a reasonable point. Certainly, if you are to push ahead with this, I strongly recommend that you include signal transmission strength controls in your software / firmware. All the unshielded speaker cable and old audio boards aren't going to enjoy it at all. Being able to turn transmission strength down to the lowest usable setting would mostly prevent this.

I've seen GSM be a real problem with unshielded microphones.. but I haven't seen bluetooth interfere with audio gear. But I do love the earlier example of a room full of games and what that will look like

Wireless except for admin seems like a bit overkill.

#63 7 years ago

I really hate overbearing copyrights and patents that stifle advancements but I must bring something to the attention of the OP that he may not be aware of.

In order to use Bluetooth in any product, first the BT module must be "qualified" - then you have to apply for a licence to use it in your product. If the BT module is actually licenced then you are "only" up for $5~$10K to get it approved for use in your item (varies)...........

I will bet that all of these $4 BT modules sold for hobbyist use in connection with Arduinos etc are NOT licenced. This means that you would have to make that step first, costing $20K~$25K......

All of this is completely ridiculous I know but I feel it needs pointing out. Some additional reading here:

https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/qualification-listing/do-i-need-to-list-qualify-my-product

#64 7 years ago

Great work. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with in a finished product. If you need any help, drop me an email. I know some excellent programmers that might be interested

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

In order to use Bluetooth in any product, first the BT module must be "qualified" - then you have to apply for a licence to use it in your product. If the BT module is actually licenced then you are "only" up for $5~$10K to get it approved for use in your item (varies)...........
I will bet that all of these $4 BT modules sold for hobbyist use in connection with Arduinos etc are NOT licenced. This means that you would have to make that step first, costing $20K~$25K......
All of this is completely ridiculous I know but I feel it needs pointing out. Some additional reading here:
https://www.bluetooth.com/develop-with-bluetooth/qualification-listing/do-i-need-to-list-qualify-my-product

OK, thanks, I will check.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Great work. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with in a finished product. If you need any help, drop me an email. I know some excellent programmers that might be interested

Thank you Mike. For PC I have experience with VC++, but I need remember JAVA for Android, though just now Im with another design for a Tablet with Android and must work with Java and Android Studio.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Imagine 20 pinball machines in a game room and all looking for connections. Of course you can use different processors but for code and IDE compatibility reason I would build all devices on a single CPU architecture.

Not paired comunications for IO Status, but master to multiple slaves 2.4Ghz with not ACK and not Auto Retransmit. There is not problem if multiple pinball in same room, each one may config different RF channels and by firmware may config transmiter power to avoid interferences.

Bluetooth/WIFI only to configure/update. I must check yet if keep WIFI or Bluetooth LE

#68 7 years ago

Today I received first material to assemble prototypes. Two MK66 144 pin microcontrollers, one TSOP56 NOR Flash 512 Megabit chip memory, and one U-Multilink programmer to Debug/Program any Kinetis microcontroller.

Also I made some modifications to wireless controller, add RJ45 connector to CAN bus, so may use standar Ethernet cable to connect it, replace switched power supply to may work with input supply 6 to 20 VDC and may provide 5 volts to external devices, remove DIP switch and connect pins from microcontroler to ON/OFF each radio module. I must check again this weekend to see if yet need some modification, but I think its close to be ready to send to manufacturer.

In a couple of days I will receive first PCB for DMDMK64, and tomorrow some pasive components, and ready to assemble prototypes this weekend. First tests next week. Also Im waiting for a Jlink Debug/Programmer, this is useful for STM32, Kinetis, PIC32 and some more ARM MCU.

And tomorrow or Friday I will receive the Amber filter to improve contrast and hide leds, also will test a glass filter to improve colors, and a new frame with improved machining, this last for current DMDST32 because DMDMK64 PCB is also the frame.

DMDMK66_002 (resized).jpgDMDMK66_002 (resized).jpg
DMDMK66_001 (resized).jpgDMDMK66_001 (resized).jpg
DMDMK66_003 (resized).jpgDMDMK66_003 (resized).jpg
DMDMK66_004 (resized).jpgDMDMK66_004 (resized).jpg
ScreenHunter_005 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_005 (resized).jpg

#69 7 years ago

I dont understand half your posts but I love reading them!

You work so fast.

Can't wait to see this come together.
I will buy one straight away for my sttng.

Will the 2.4ghz mod board be able to control servos?

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

I dont understand half your posts but I love reading them!
You work so fast.
Can't wait to see this come together.
I will buy one straight away for my sttng.
Will the 2.4ghz mod board be able to control servos?

Wireless controller board, send wirelessly status about all switches, lamps, bumpers, flashers and any input/ouput of pinball. Then with any mod that work wireless will may control anything.

Now Im developing several mods for this board, its possible I do some to control servos, shaker, digital leds, etc... Currently working with a wiereless Topper and two more mods, all to receive data from this controller board.

And about DMDMK64, today I received the PCB, also received a new frame with improved mechanized, an AMBER FILTER to improve contrast and hide leds, and also I have do a WIDE DMDST32, this is like DMDMK64 a big board that is also the frame, so do not need add frame and final product is more compact and with better look.

Now holes for connectors are smaller, not two big rectangular holes, but small holes for each connector, so the board is more resistant and robust.

Attached some pictures about all I have receive today, so probably this weekend I will assemble first prototype about DMDMK64. Also I will assemble the new DMDST32 with AMBER FILTER, because I have already orders about it, even before I have advertise it.

I hope also soon may advertise and offer my SEGA 192*64 and Wireless TOPPER by Bluetooth. ALL DMDMK64 based, are FULL developed by me, HARDWARE and FIRMWARE, do not need pay extra licenses from third party.

PCB_001 (resized).jpgPCB_001 (resized).jpg
PCB_001b (resized).jpgPCB_001b (resized).jpg
PCB_002 (resized).jpgPCB_002 (resized).jpg
PCB_004 (resized).jpgPCB_004 (resized).jpg
PCB_006b (resized).jpgPCB_006b (resized).jpg
PCB_007 (resized).jpgPCB_007 (resized).jpg
PCB_008 (resized).jpgPCB_008 (resized).jpg
PCB_008b (resized).jpgPCB_008b (resized).jpg
PCB_009 (resized).jpgPCB_009 (resized).jpg
PCB_013 (resized).jpgPCB_013 (resized).jpg

PCB_013c (resized).jpgPCB_013c (resized).jpg

PCB_013d (resized).jpgPCB_013d (resized).jpg

#71 7 years ago

We tried do a connector from the PCB to the first display panel 16pin input for our FAST RGB DMD but found that not all the sourced panels line up exactly the same and caused the display to not line up correctly. Even the placement of the power connectors varied from display lot to lot. Just FYI before you run too many PCBs.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

We tried do a connector from the PCB to the first display panel 16pin input for our FAST RGB DMD but found that not all the sourced panels line up exactly the same and caused the display to not line up correctly. Even the placement of the power connectors varied from display lot to lot. Just FYI before you run too many PCBs.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Power supply connectors are very poor placed, but data connectors even though not perfect aligned, connect with a female connector in PCB. I assemble all my DMDST32 from the begining with this system time ago and work perfect, never fail.

490e5711a87987dbbe9b2fbce5099d0feda74529 (resized).jpg490e5711a87987dbbe9b2fbce5099d0feda74529 (resized).jpg

10c93b072869376e91d38bacb760d2a40bf88b2a (resized).jpg10c93b072869376e91d38bacb760d2a40bf88b2a (resized).jpg

1444ca56edb27a627a585fb89e061eafefd62b71 (resized).jpg1444ca56edb27a627a585fb89e061eafefd62b71 (resized).jpg

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Power supply connectors are very poor placed, but data connectors even though not perfect aligned, connect with a female connector in PCB. I assemble all my DMDST32 from the begining with this system time ago and work perfect, never fail.

In that form factor you have some wiggle room because the PCB is screwed to the display panel and the mounting bracket is floating in between the two. That will let you line it up nicely with the opposite panel.

I was referring to the other design where you are using the PCB as the mounting bracket, like our design. Due to the fixed position for that first panel that connects directly to the PCB that panel can end up be a little out of alignment. Even 0.5mm skew shows the divide between the panels. Tension on that connector caused by a physical twist to get the panels aligned right might not be the best. This RGB panels are delicate in their own ways. You could always reflow the soldier on that connector and twist it a little, but that would get old over and over.

Just passing on something we learned on our multiple turns. PCB and the shipping that goes with it definitely adds up.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

In that form factor you have some wiggle room because the PCB is screwed to the display panel and the mounting bracket is floating in between the two. That will let you line it up nicely with the opposite panel.
I was referring to the other design where you are using the PCB as the mounting bracket, like our design. Due to the fixed position for that first panel that connects directly to the PCB that panel can end up be a little out of alignment. Even 0.5mm skew shows the divide between the panels. Tension on that connector caused by a physical twist to get the panels aligned right might not be the best. This RGB panels are delicate in their own ways. You could always reflow the soldier on that connector and twist it a little, but that would get old over and over.
Just passing on something we learned on our multiple turns. PCB and the shipping that goes with it definitely adds up.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

No twist because screws are M3, and holes are M4, so there is clearance to adjust the position of the panels without forcing the connector. Also when I receive led panels, I select the first data connector best aligned to install like first led panel en DMD, and the worst for second panel. So, always fit perfectly.

#75 7 years ago

Draining this topic. Won't support a person who knowingly steals someone else idea. COUNT me out as a customer.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Draining this topic. Won't support a person who knowingly steals someone else idea. COUNT me out as a customer.

??

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Come on, man ... are you serious?

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Count me in as a customer !!

#79 7 years ago

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed so far with the current edition (DMD ST32 black). I'm still getting the hang of the coloring software, changing palettes for different animations and such, but it installed like a breeze and is bright as blazes. Next I need to figure out the wifi so I can lose the USB cable for updates.

IMG_0529 (resized).JPGIMG_0529 (resized).JPG

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed so far with the current edition (DMD ST32 black). I'm still getting the hang of the coloring software, changing palettes for different animations and such, but it installed like a breeze and is bright as blazes. Next I need to figure out the wifi so I can lose the USB cable for updates.

Thank you Matthew, I'm glad you are happy with my DMD products.

#81 7 years ago

I think this product has a lot more potential than ColorDMD in some scenarios.

Their frame interpretation method is quite restrictive. For example, a number of independent sprites are the same shade as the background, so must therefore be the same colour, in the recently coloured BSD. It looks crap. Of course it's more of an issue on some games than others, but it looks particularly bad on BSD.

As far as I understand it, this method should allow the full recolouring of frames, if you are so minded.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Their frame interpretation method is quite restrictive. For example, a number of independent sprites are the same shade as the background, so must therefore be the same colour, in the recently coloured BSD. It looks crap. Of course it's more of an issue on some games than others, but it looks particularly bad on BSD. As far as I understand it, this method should allow the full recolouring of frames, if you are so minded.

Currently the discussion about those features which are not implemented is purely theoretical. Luis is currently in a phase where has a lot of ideas and is only putting the hardware for them together. I´m sure some of them will die along the road of implementation, because they don´t work out as expected. That is always happening when trying to make ideas reality and that is why I personally prefer to announce features when I´m sure they work. I´m sure that if it not possible with ColorDMD to make it better it is simply not possible at all, having in mind that they have years of experience in that. But maybe it is just the authors taste.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Their frame interpretation method is quite restrictive. For example, a number of independent sprites are the same shade as the background, so must therefore be the same colour, in the recently coloured BSD. It looks crap. Of course it's more of an issue on some games than others, but it looks particularly bad on BSD.
As far as I understand it, this method should allow the full recolouring of frames, if you are so minded.

I do not have see specifig games, but system to apply colors by Keyframe may be by palette or pixel by pixel for a full frame. All is possible, if hardware has enough power to process, enough store size with fast access (mine will be a 512Mbit parallel NOR Flash) and a lot of time to colorize each game or more people helping about it.

I do not think may colorize by sprites like in 80's computers, but by full frame. May be start from a palette, then apply different colors only to some pixels (so do not store a full colorize frame). I will check all when I work with software.

Very important, is a good editor software to colorize, I have may ideas about it, to do it fast and comfortable to anybody that want help about it, also for me to may colorize and offer games ready to work. Current editors where you modify pixel by pixel is not productive, very slow system. I have better ideas about it to improve the tasks of coloring.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Luis is currently in a phase where has a lot of ideas and is only putting the hardware for them together. I´m sure some of them will die along the road of implementation, because they don´t work out as expected.

Yes, this always happen, a lot of ideas, but finally only some work.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

I do not have see specifig games, but system to apply colors by Keyframe may be by palette or pixel by pixel for a full frame. All is possible, if hardware has enough power to process, enough store size with fast access (mine will be a 512Mbit parallel NOR Flash) and a lot of time to colorize each game or more people helping about it.
I do not think may colorize by sprites like in 80's computers, but by full frame. May be start from a palette, then apply different colors only to some pixels (so do not store a full colorize frame). I will check all when I work with software.
Very important, is a good editor software to colorize, I have may ideas about it, to do it fast and comfortable to anybody that want help about it, also for me to may colorize and offer games ready to work. Current editors where you modify pixel by pixel is not productive, very slow system. I have better ideas about it to improve the tasks of coloring.

See this example with the rats in BSD. Looks awful IMO. Video is time-stamped.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

» YouTube video See this example with the rats in BSD. Looks awful IMO. Video is time-stamped.

Coloring variable (rats) over variable (score) is a lot more complicated than you seem to think.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Coloring variable (rats) over variable (score) is a lot more complicated than you seem to think.

Not really. Impossible, AFAIK, using ColorDMD's system. I'm not blaming the guy that did the colouring job.

However, from my understanding, it ought to be possible given what Luis has outlined, if he's able to do it, for his system.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

» YouTube video See this example with the rats in BSD. Looks awful IMO. Video is time-stamped.

Thanks for posting that video in its entirety. BSD looks fantastic!

You're sadly out of your depth when it comes to understanding the technical capabilities and limits of these systems. Your posts regarding ColorDMD read as nothing more than trolling.

#89 7 years ago

1) Using my name which isn't public = trying to silence any potentially negative view. This also violates forum rules.

2) So are you're saying that it's categorically impossible using any method? It may be far from easy, but that is not the same as what you seem to be implying - without offering any substantiation besides an ad hominem attack.

3) The video IS posted in its entirety, it's time-stamped, as I said, to illustrate a specific shortcoming of the current systems, which this one might not have. BSD was used to illustrate it as it's particularly noticeable with the rats, it just came out, and there was a good quality video to illustrate it.

P.S. If you want your products represented fairly, on their merits, why don't you post videos of the display under normal lighting conditions, rather than direct grabs? Maybe because it flatters to deceive?

4) Oh really? Below is my posting history for threads either started by you re: ColorDMD or directly relating to it. Care to point out the trolling? I think what you mean is that you were affronted when I highlighted how poor the contrast is on your LCD product, a couple of times, about a year ago, when at the time you had no alternative. You'll note I was hoping for future upgrades to your system, rather than telling everyone to buy other products. The court of opinion seems to be rather heavily in my favour, now that there are more LED options, including your own, which people can compare the original LCD to. The contrast and viewing angles ARE less than ideal. But obviously I was trolling you. Your LCD product has its own merits - namely all the modes, but they do not completely obviate the flaws of the LCD. It's swings and roundabouts. I massively prefer LED, some people feel the same way about your LCDs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-popeye-official?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-color-changing-tron-pinbits-eli-ramps-integration?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-plans-for-2015?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sigma-colordmd-spike-system?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-spike-is-coming?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-plans-for-2016?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/color-dmd-hint?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-previews-new-led-displays?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led?tq&tu=rubberducks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sigma-colordmd-spike-system

But let's get to the real point of your post. I've been publicly very supportive of LED DMD efforts, which you only latterly began to support. Further, I came down, as many have, against the rather liberal patent you've been granted, or your apparent use of it to threaten people, in ECurtz's RGB LED thread, which was not related to ColorDMD directly. I guess you may have also read recently what I had to say with regard to the PPS / Retro Refurbs dispute thread, the legal subtext of which I suspect given your vested interests you'd be very keen not to have examined too much.

I would wager you're feeling even more defensive about this than comments about the LCDs lacking contrast and viewing angles. Also, the views expressed were not apropos of nothing, they were in response to your apparent aggressiveness towards potential competitors. Hence, here you are hounding me in a non-ColorDMD thread and trying to discredit me. I didn't take these views to ColorDMD threads. Who's the "troll"? Who has the agenda? Your post just shows you up for what you are, and is far more revealing of you than me.

If you weren't so seemingly afraid of competition or examination of your product, you might be able to play a bit nicer and then avoid these kind of ugly spats, which do you no favours at all.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

3) The video IS posted in its entirety, it's time-stamped, as I said, to illustrate a specific shortcoming of the current systems, which this one might not have. BSD was used to illustrate it as it's particularly noticeable with the rats, it just came out, and there was a good quality video to illustrate it.

Yeah, and he thanked you for posting it. It does look great.

Quoted from rubberducks:

But let's get to the real point of your post. I've been publicly very supportive of LED DMD efforts, which you only latterly began to support.

And they're now available in quantity, are awesome, and support every pre-colored game ColorDMD has put out. Sure beats all the crap people are going through to save fifty bucks to me.

Quoted from rubberducks:

I would wager you're feeling even more defensive ...

I think you're confused about who is being defensive. Damn.

#91 7 years ago

It's amazing how many combination patent lawyer/programmers there are on Pinside, I wonder what attracts such uniquely skilled individuals to pinball?

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's amazing how many combination patent lawyer/programmers there are on Pinside, I wonder what attracts such uniquely skilled individuals to pinball?

Intellectual Property Training is SOP for all our programmers You need to stem the problem of ignorance at the source because vetting it after the fact is very problematic and expensive (to undo work). Or worse.. shipping and then finding out after the fact you have liabilities or violations risking stop shipments or other damages.

#93 7 years ago

Today I shipped the first batch of multicolored DMDs, with the new amber filter and the new frame.

The amber filter in translucent methacrylate significantly improves the contrast of the image and hide the leds, the result is fantastic. This filter is optional and has a price of 18 euros, including the filter, screws and metal separators. It can only be fixed to the new frames and boards, since they carry the proper machining. This filter I installed in the DMDST32 Red DUAL Edition, but also in the new DMDMK64 board.

As for the new frame, it improves remarkably to the previous one. As soon as I can, I'll make quality photos and upload them. The material is now MATE instead of glossy, the result is a product not sensitive to marks by fingerprints and much cleaner since it does not attract dust by static electricity, as it happened with the previous racks. In addition the machining of the holes has been optimized, with the size adjusted to each connector, this also allows to hide the cables.

filtro_001 (resized).jpgfiltro_001 (resized).jpg
filtro_002 (resized).jpgfiltro_002 (resized).jpg
filtro_003 (resized).jpgfiltro_003 (resized).jpg
filtro_004 (resized).jpgfiltro_004 (resized).jpg
filtro_005 (resized).jpgfiltro_005 (resized).jpg

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Almost as amazing as those who have such keen insight into the motivations and intentions of everyone they disagree with. No point in arguing but I sure wish they go back to policing the ColorDMD threads and drain this one.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Ok, I see what do you mean.

Its the mix of variable data (scores, game in play, etc..) and an animation. When variable data is in a specific place of screen, may isolate it with masks, in this case variable data is in same place of animation, its more complex but may do it (its not a question of hardware, but firmware).

When I program advanced color options I will work with all mask options to may apply full color to all frames, even to those that mix variable and fixed data.

#96 7 years ago

Working together with manufacturers of led panels to optimize the design, specific for applications in pinball. These screenshots of Autocad, I am currently reviewing the design to suit our application.

Working to avoid bleeding problem in DMDMK64, and some more improvments.

ScreenHunter_014 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_014 (resized).jpg
ScreenHunter_011 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_011 (resized).jpg
ScreenHunter_012 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_012 (resized).jpg
ScreenHunter_013 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_013 (resized).jpg
ScreenHunter_010 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_010 (resized).jpg
ScreenHunter_009 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_009 (resized).jpg

#97 7 years ago

New DMDMK64 version, this add a Switched DC-DC circuit 8-36 DCV input to 5DCV 5A, to work directly with pinball power supply, so will not need add external power supply, so more compact, lighter, and will be 100% PLUG and PLAY. I must test yet this new prototype, but according with my measures I think will work fine.

Also add CAN bus with RJ45 connectors to connect wired with matrix controller to may control other mods (topper, etc...). I will do the X-Files mod to indicate episodes status with Keyframe by episode start/end and reset mod by star/end game. Also I have already on design some more mods with matrix controller.

About wireless options I have add also WIFI, so I will check what is best option Bluetooth or WIFI for config/udpate, will keep only one for Cell Phone Comunications and 2.4Ghz radio module for mods.

Testing currenly SEGA 192*64, Capcom, Spike and Virtual pinball. Next test I want to do is store and read a full colorized animation in NOR Flash, to check speed to read data.

ScreenHunter_035 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_035 (resized).jpg

ScreenHunter_026 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_026 (resized).jpg

ScreenHunter_032 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_032 (resized).jpg

#98 7 years ago

No external power would be awesome!

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

No external power would be awesome!

Yes, I think will may be 100% plug and play, not need connect wires and use external power supply.

Today I sent to manufacturer this new prototype, and like j_m suggest me, I go to see if may replace USB mini B connector by a larger and stronger USB B. I have contact by email with manufacturer to STOP production, modify design and manufacture already with USB B connector.

So, I think this will by already final version.

#100 7 years ago

You keep mentioning CAN bus. Spike is not strictly CAN. It's a custom RS-485 protocol that you will have to decode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 21.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 85.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,203 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way/page/2?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.