IMG_9901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9900 (resized).jpeg
3pu1kq (resized).jpg
75429320_2661710413892905_3615448893623369728_o.jpg
e60eb69d-5797-4e30-8f65-e1e33d1749f9.jpg
f6931b0f-0994-4cf6-b399-91336dfd2b2c.jpg
d653713e-61e6-4adb-b88e-193a58caab47.jpg
SLEIC.jpg

There are 1,203 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 25.
#1001 4 years ago

Testing the VideoSP 192x64 DMD controller board. Fully compatible and replacement of the original, for SEGA pinball with large 192x64 screens.

After getting the JEDEC files for the three PALs, the product is fully functional, and is now available to those interested. The price includes one game in two PLCC32 Eprom. Board ready for use, connect and works immediately.

In the video attached, testing with the original CPU and a DMDMK66 of 192x64, it can also be used with the original plasma DMD.

#1002 4 years ago
Quoted from Evilelement:

Yeah back before the st32 when lucky was using the other boards st32f4 I made a few changes to the code for the outputs ,used it to control servos and rgbs on my johnny but then the GitHub code was removed , and a million changes later .amazing how much has progressed from the VP days , BTW another suggestion , I got hooked on p5 panels
Make a standalone for us guys
[quoted image][quoted image]

I added a event for such applications which sends out 2byte serial commands peripheral hardware which could e.g.control servos and rgbs

#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Testing the VideoSP 192x64 DMD controller board. Fully compatible and replacement of the original, for SEGA pinball with large 192x64 screens.
After getting the JEDEC files for the three PALs, the product is fully functional, and is now available to those interested. The price includes one game in two PLCC32 Eprom. Board ready for use, connect and works immediately.
In the video attached, testing with the original CPU and a DMDMK66 of 192x64, it can also be used with the original plasma DMD.

Looks great!

1 week later
#1005 4 years ago

Any news about new firmware dmdmk66 to allow us to use colored files ?
I know you are very busy it’s just to have an idea of the delay before a new update.

#1006 4 years ago

wow, it's been some time since I checked in. Things are really starting to move now. cool!

Have anyone used the magic coloring to make a full color Frankenstein?

#1007 4 years ago

Yes, any idea when we will see the first PoC firmware using the color files? I think a lot of us are a little afraid to spend the time coloring games, as long as there is no guarantee that a firmware to use the files will ever exist?

I don't mean to be a jerk writing the above, but i just know that it is a concern that i have myself. I would like to buy a couple of displays, but just keep waiting for the time when the color files will be supported Fingers crossed it won't be long, and any new projects won't interrupt the progress of the firmware

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from KoSLoW:

Any news about new firmware dmdmk66 to allow us to use colored files ?
I know you are very busy it’s just to have an idea of the delay before a new update.

Now I'm working with the Hologram Kit for the Creature and adding new features to the Magic Editor. I have not even had time to mount the DMDMK66 128x16.

As soon as I finish with the Hologram Kit, I continue with the Advanced Coloring for the DMDMK66, and I release the first version of fiwware in order to use the colored files with the Magic Editor.

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Yes, any idea when we will see the first PoC firmware using the color files? I think a lot of us are a little afraid to spend the time coloring games, as long as there is no guarantee that a firmware to use the files will ever exist?
I don't mean to be a jerk writing the above, but i just know that it is a concern that i have myself. I would like to buy a couple of displays, but just keep waiting for the time when the color files will be supported Fingers crossed it won't be long, and any new projects won't interrupt the progress of the firmware

Lately I have been busy finishing the Hologram Kit, also investing money hiring a graphic designer to make the videos of the kit.

Regarding your concern that there is no guarantee that there will be a firmware, keep in mind that I have invested enough time and money to develop the Magic Editor. That investment would not make sense, if it were not to make the firmware for the DMD, or if I was not totally sure how to do it.

I'm not going to start new projects, until the Hologram is finished, and continue to finish the firmware for the Advanced Coloring of the DMDMK66.

#1010 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Lately I have been busy finishing the Hologram Kit, also investing money hiring a graphic designer to make the videos of the kit.
Regarding your concern that there is no guarantee that there will be a firmware, keep in mind that I have invested enough time and money to develop the Magic Editor. That investment would not make sense, if it were not to make the firmware for the DMD, or if I was not totally sure how to do it.
I'm not going to start new projects, until the Hologram is finished, and continue to finish the firmware for the Advanced Coloring of the DMDMK66.

If I'm not wrong, I think you wrote something in this thread talking about wanting to release the firmware to use colorized files at the end of the summer.

If that is right, it's still your prevision?

#1011 4 years ago
Quoted from sonambulo:

If I'm not wrong, I think you wrote something in this thread talking about wanting to release the firmware to use colorized files at the end of the summer.
If that is right, it's still your prevision?

It's still the forecast, and in fact finishing the Advanced Coloring was the priority. The problem is that I went back to the Hologram Kit project, because I received many requests to finish it.

The plan and the priority were to finish the DMDMK66 of 128x16, release the first firmware version with support for Advanced Coloring, test and correct bugs, then release the firmware version for the 128x32 and 192x64 DMDs. Then continue with the Hologram Kit and other projects.

Now the Hologram kit is again an active project, although I decided to hire and pay a graphic designer to make me the videos. I finished the design of the screen support, I tried several TFT panels, and I'm waiting for the videos to test and offer the product.

I also finished the VideoSP controller board for the DMDMK66 192x64 large screens, with a second improved revision, and I have already to mount and send orders for this new product.

In any case, finish the DMDMK66 of 128x16, and offer the first version of firmware with support of Advanced Coloring, follow as planned. I will continue with the development as soon as I finish the Hologram Kit.

#1012 4 years ago

A few more comments about Advanced Coloring.

For me to offer a very good Editor for advanced coloring was fundamental, priority, before making any firmware. It is not possible to offer a very good product of Color Screens, without a very good Editor, it is essential, much more important than the firmware itself.

Now that the Magic Editor is almost finished, I am totally sure that coloring games for the DMDMK66 and DMDMX7 will be an extremely simple, comfortable and very fast task. Anyone will can color games in record time, and with little effort.

With the latest features that are being added, the coloring task will be even more comfortable and faster. All that I am adding, are the features that I miss as I am using the product, making my own color tests, I add what I need to go as quickly as possible in the coloring.

There will be no need to pay exorbitant and abusive prices for a color display. Nor take months to color a game, for having to use an editor with very poor features, or not be able to color and customize yourself your own games, for not having an editor of public access, free and without licenses. That will not happen with the Advanced Coloring solution that I am creating for the DMDMKX66 and DMDMX7.

In summary. What makes the Advanced Coloring solution with DMDMK66 and DMDMX7 special and different?

1.- High quality hardware, professional design, not DIY. I assemble myself with my Pick and Place machine, that allows me to have a low cost with the highest quality.
2.- Correct sale prices, not abusive or exorbitant.
3.- Magic Editor with the most sophisticated features, to color games in record time, quickly and comfortably.
4.- The Editor is public access, free and without licenses.
5.- The firmware does not need licenses or activations, the product connects and works immediately without limitations, or tedious waiting to receive licenses.
6.- Pre and post sale technical support, directly with me, the hardware and firmware developer, without intermediaries. I am not a distributor, I design, manufacture and sell everything I offer (Hardware and Software).

Attached pictures.

1.- Repairing a defective DMDMK66 192x64, a good microscope is essential. And know the product, hardware and software very well, something that only happens when you have designed and programmed everything yourself.
2.- All my boards are welded in infrared oven
3.- Assembly of components I do in my own pick and place machine, at zero cost. High quality, low cost, good sale price.

Pinballsp_001.jpgPinballsp_001.jpgPinballsp_002.jpgPinballsp_002.jpgPinballsp_004b.jpgPinballsp_004b.jpgPinballsp_005.jpgPinballsp_005.jpg

#1013 4 years ago

The options to import GIF and animated GIF to any animation of the game, with the Magic Editor, are practically finished.

We can import any image in GIF and paste it to any frame of an animation. All imported GIFs can be viewed in a new column to the right of the Editor.

Also, it is already working, the option to copy and paste parts of a frame on another frame. With this option we can mark a rectangular area of ​​any frame, pressing Ctrl + C, this piece of image goes to a temporary area in the right column, we can also save it for later uses.

To use any imported GIF or parts of frames copied, just place the mouse cursor over the desired element, in the right column, and press Ctrl + V, to paste it over the current frame, at that moment we can move it with the cursor of the mouse to place it in the place that we decide and then press the ENTER key to fix it permanently.

When we paste a GIF on a frame, the color palette is automatically updated with the colors used by the GIF, up to a maximum of 32 colors per palette.

With all these new options now offered by Magic Editor, it will be very easy to customize any game, with your own and new scenes created and imported in GIF, add customized texts or copy and paste parts of one scene in another. The possibilities are many, it is not only about coloring a game, it can also be customized to each one's taste, to even improve or change the original scenes remarkably.

In the attached example images, the small blue robot and the red heart were not part of the original animation of the TZ. They were imported as GIFs and pasted to the scene.

As soon as all the new options are tested and possible bug fixes, we are ready to go to the final stage, the creation and release of the first firmware with Advanced Color support for all DMDMK66. Then you can try on the real DMD, the colored games with the Magic Editor. We are already close to seeing in practice the DMDMK66 working with Colored games.

ScreenHunter_008.jpgScreenHunter_008.jpgScreenHunter_007.jpgScreenHunter_007.jpg
ScreenHunter_009.jpgScreenHunter_009.jpgScreenHunter_010.jpgScreenHunter_010.jpg
ScreenHunter_011.jpgScreenHunter_011.jpg

#1014 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

As soon as all the new options are tested and possible bug fixes, we are ready to go to the final stage, the creation and release of the first firmware with Advanced Color support for all DMDMK66. Then you can try on the real DMD, the colored games with the Magic Editor. We are already close to seeing in practice the DMDMK66 working with Colored games.

Great new features in Magic Editor, and the progressions on the Advanced Color firmware for the DMDMK66 are exciting

Can't wait...!

#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from sonambulo:

Great new features in Magic Editor, and the progressions on the Advanced Color firmware for the DMDMK66 are exciting
Can't wait...!

Thanks for your support sonambulo.

#1016 4 years ago

Working on the last option to add to the Magic Editor. It is the most complex, and the one that requires more programming work.

This is the AUTO SPLIT option, to automatically extract the animations from the dumps. With this option, we can save a lot of work time, if the program already cuts the dumps of the project, to extract the animations, although it will always be necessary to make some manual adjustments, but this is easy with the options that allow to add and remove frames to a animation.

For now, we are testing and correcting the bugs we are detecting. In the screenshots attached, the first tests. Now I want to add in the frame of the window, the identification of the dumps in which the matches have been found, and the start and end frames of each suggested animation, in addition to the number of matching frames. At the level of detail, in the same window, we will put the number of the frame in each of the two coinciding dumps, in addition to the image of the frames (with other colors that are easier to visualize).

ScreenHunter_015.jpgScreenHunter_015.jpgScreenHunter_016.jpgScreenHunter_016.jpg
ScreenHunter_002.jpgScreenHunter_002.jpg

#1017 4 years ago

Final version of the DMD controller board VideoSP 192x64, for pinball SEGA with large screens of 192x64, finished, tested and working.

I have replaced many components of the original prototype. All components are now smaller (0402 and TSSOP), for a more compact design, the PALs are now TSSOP surface mount welded to the board.

Of the six original sockets for the ROMs, only two have been left, the ROM0 and the ROM3, which are really the only two that are used in the 4 SEGA games.

VideoSP 192x64, is compatible with DMDMK66 192x64 and the original Plasma DMD 192x64. It supports the four games of SEGA, Baywach, Maverick, Batman for Ever and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

VIDEOSP_001.jpgVIDEOSP_001.jpgVIDEOSP_002.jpgVIDEOSP_002.jpgVIDEOSP_003.jpgVIDEOSP_003.jpgVIDEOSP_004.jpgVIDEOSP_004.jpgVIDEOSP_005.jpgVIDEOSP_005.jpgVIDEOSP_006.jpgVIDEOSP_006.jpgVIDEOSP_007.jpgVIDEOSP_007.jpg

#1018 4 years ago

Excellent dude! Thanks for all the updates.

#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Excellent dude! Thanks for all the updates.

Thanks for your support Crash.

Today I've been doing some tests, and when I measured the consumption of the final version of the Videosp, I've taken a surprise. It only consumes between 395 and 424 mA.

The reduction in consumption, compared to that of the original SEGA controller, is enormous. From the 1227mA of the SEGA board to the 400mA of the new VideoSP.

I suppose that having replaced all the 74xx chips, for the TSSOP 74HCT version, as well as the PALs from DIP to TSSOP, has worked the miracle of this surprising reduction in consumption.

All this prevents the problems caused by the original SEGA controller, with frequent voltage drop and failures.

videosp_consum_001.jpgvideosp_consum_001.jpgvideosp_consum_002.jpgvideosp_consum_002.jpg

videosp_consum_003.jpgvideosp_consum_003.jpg
#1020 4 years ago

I was wondering about that since you changed all those components, but figured there wouldn't be a difference. That's very surprising. I'll probably buy one soon if re-capping my power supply does not work. I have a Baywatch on location that puts out 5.03v at the board and the display controller only receives 4.96v. That's enough to cause the display to drop out and corrupt at times. It's gotten so bad for me lately I've had to literally solder thick wires to the controller board, which helped a little.

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Final version of the DMD controller board VideoSP 192x64, for pinball SEGA with large screens of 192x64, finished, tested and working.
I have replaced many components of the original prototype. All components are now smaller (0402 and TSSOP), for a more compact design, the PALs are now TSSOP surface mount welded to the board.
Of the six original sockets for the ROMs, only two have been left, the ROM0 and the ROM3, which are really the only two that are used in the 4 SEGA games.
VideoSP 192x64, is compatible with DMDMK66 192x64 and the original Plasma DMD 192x64. It supports the four games of SEGA, Baywach, Maverick, Batman for Ever and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don't care what abuse i get for this reply but the pcb auto routing on those boards make me want to claw my eyes out!!!!! why is there a power trace literally forcing a ton of straight io lines to switch layer???? Put the power trace on the other side or route it correctly!!!

I'm sure it works but daaaaaaaamn its laid out so badly.

Hate away but you pcb designers out there know what I'm talking about

#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I don't care what abuse i get for this reply but the pcb auto routing on those boards make me want to claw my eyes out!!!!! why is there a power trace literally forcing a ton of straight io lines to switch layer???? Put the power trace on the other side or route it correctly!!!
I'm sure it works but daaaaaaaamn its laid out so badly.
Hate away but you pcb designers out there know what I'm talking about

Yeah, make him redesign it again for another delay
Maybe a few hints more to improve the holo mod even further

#1023 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I was wondering about that since you changed all those components, but figured there wouldn't be a difference. That's very surprising. I'll probably buy one soon if re-capping my power supply does not work. I have a Baywatch on location that puts out 5.03v at the board and the display controller only receives 4.96v. That's enough to cause the display to drop out and corrupt at times. It's gotten so bad for me lately I've had to literally solder thick wires to the controller board, which helped a little.

I was very surprised too, so much reduction in consumption, less than half the prototype of the Videosp, and the third part that the original SEGA board. I do not know exactly what component is the cause of this drastic reduction, I suspect that I put the PAL in TSSOP, and also replace all 74LS, for 74HCT versions.

Also, since all the components are much smaller, they are closer together and the track routing is shorter.

With the original SEGA board, sometimes changing the wiring to a thicker one or with a double cable solves the problem somewhat, but it is not usually a definitive solution. The problem is that it is badly designed, so SEGA had to offer a special cable kit, probably because they received many complaints of malfunction.

#1024 4 years ago

What’s further irritating is I tapped in to CN4 as suggested by Sega and even soldered the wires to the metal connectors to ensure 100% solid contact.

#1025 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

What’s further irritating is I tapped in to CN4 as suggested by Sega and even soldered the wires to the metal connectors to ensure 100% solid contact.

And it continues to fail, what exactly is the problem, the pinball restarts, the DMD controller stops working ...?

With the original controller of SEGA, which I have here for testing, I have to set my laboratory power supply to 5.37 volts for me to work, if I put it to 5 volts, the voltage drops and the board does not start.

#1026 4 years ago

The issue is just the display dropping out.

#1027 4 years ago

I have returned to work on the DMDMK66 of 128x16. Lately I have not been able to deal with DMD, because I am busy with the Hologram Kit. While the designer finishes the videos, I will continue with this DMDMK66 128x16 model

The hardware is practically the final version, although I will still change the RAM, for a version with TSOP package, which is somewhat smaller, and I will also reduce the size of the voltage regulator inductor.

In this design I have changed quite a lot, all the components have been reduced in size, to get a very compact product, the Z80 processor is a LQFP44 soldered directly to board, resistors and capacitors 0402, miniature quartz 3.2x2.5mm. Only the Rom stays in the socket, PLCC32 format. The voltage regulator circuit is completely new, the same as the three models of DMDMK66, a more reliable circuit with better performance.

The product is delivered with the Rom recorded with a game, to choose from the 5 available.

I continue with the firmware, and product ready to offer it. 100% compatible with Data East pinball that install 128x16 DMD, Hook, Batman, Star Trek, Chekpoint and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles screens.

I will continue with the first firmware version with support for Advanced Coloring. This screen model will be the first to support firmware with Colored Image to Image with multiple colors of games colored with the Magic Editor.

DMD128x16_004.jpgDMD128x16_004.jpgDMD128x16_010.jpgDMD128x16_010.jpgDMD128x16_005.jpgDMD128x16_005.jpgDMD128x16_006.jpgDMD128x16_006.jpg
DMD128x16_001.jpgDMD128x16_001.jpgDMD128x16_002.jpgDMD128x16_002.jpgDMD128x16_003.jpgDMD128x16_003.jpgDMD128x16_007.jpgDMD128x16_007.jpgDMD128x16_008.jpgDMD128x16_008.jpg

#1028 4 years ago

Looks great, is this still going to use the pair of 64x32 display modules, or are there now cost effective 64x16 modules that can be used? I imagine the fit within the speaker panel with the two 64x32 modules, like the 128x32 display, will be a problem.

#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Looks great, is this still going to use the pair of 64x32 display modules, or are there now cost effective 64x16 modules that can be used? I imagine the fit within the speaker panel with the two 64x32 modules, like the 128x32 display, will be a problem.

Thanks Crash.
The 16-row LED panels are not manufactured, they have to be 32, using only the 16 central rows.

As for the location of the 128x16 DMD, I do not think that of problems, it is all made with the same dimensions as the original plasma DMD, with the 2 connectors located in the same position. I did it all using an original 128x16 plasma DMD that a friend left me as a reference.

#1030 4 years ago

Taking up the work on the Magic Editor, for Advanced Coloring with the DMDMK66 and DMDMX7.

The option AUTO SPLIT, to automatically extract the animations from the game dumps is almost finished. It is one of the most sophisticated and powerful options of the Editor.

With the new Auto Split option, all project dumps are compared to look for repeated sequence patterns. If the program finds matches, the program displays them in a window for the user to confirm if he extracts them and creates an animation automatically.

This option includes both simple animations and dynamic content animations, if the masks have been previously defined.

In the attached images, you can see the window that shows the Auto Split process, every time an animation is located. There are several columns, in the first one the frames of the suggested animation are shown, the following ones show the images of the two dumps in which the matching sequences have been found, the matching frames are marked in yellow, and in the last 2 columns we can see the numbers of the frames of each dump and their checksum. In the window frame we can see the number of images of the animation, the names of the dump files and the masks used.

Now I have it in tests, but at least with simple animations (without dynamic content), it is working very well. I need to create a few masks and prove that it works.

This option will save a lot of work time. One of the most tedious and even complicated tasks is to identify the beginning and end of each of the animations of the game to extract and color them. Now with the Auto Split function, that process will be automatic.

As soon as I finish with the Hologram Kit for Creature, I will work with Advanced Coloring again, I will finish the DMDMK66 of 128x16, I will release the first firmware version with support for Advanced Coloring, and I will start coloring games myself.

Coloring games with the Magic Editor will be very quick and easy. And it remains to be seen the hardware coloring wizard, with which the coloring will be even faster and easier, but I will explain that later.

subir_001.jpgsubir_001.jpgsubir_002.jpgsubir_002.jpgsubir_003.jpgsubir_003.jpgsubir_004.jpgsubir_004.jpg

#1031 4 years ago

I continue testing the new Auto Split option of the Magic Editor, to automatically extract the animations of the game's dumps, and color them with the editor. We still have to correct some bugs, but in general it works quite well. Headers have been added that identify the contents of the 5 columns (frames to extract to create the animation, frames from dump1, frames from dump2, number of frames/checksum from dump1, number of frames/checksum from dump2).

In the attached images, some of the tests, to extract the animations of a Twilight Zone. The scene of the little robot that attacks the clock, I extracted this scene some time ago manually to color it in an example that I published. Now it can be seen as with the Auto Split function, the same scene is automatically recognized by the program, from dumps, and is offered as a suggestion to extract and create the animation, which indicates that the Auto Split function is working as expected.

In general, I am very satisfied with the new option, it will save a lot of work when extracting (automatically) and coloring sequences of images, to create each of the animations.

ScreenHunter_049.jpgScreenHunter_049.jpgScreenHunter_050.jpgScreenHunter_050.jpg

auto_split_002.jpgauto_split_002.jpg
#1032 4 years ago

All the new options to add to the Magic Editor, are almost finished, I am doing the latest tests.

The last thing added, in the Auto Split option, to automatically extract the animations, was to be able to select between extracting animations without dynamic contents, with dynamic contents or both. An option was also added (Sychronize Scroll Bars), on the screen that shows the frames of the matching animations, to be able to slide at the same time the columns of the two matching sequence of frames, with this option disabled you can slide each column separately with the vertical scroll bar.

Now I am studying adding a new option for 128x16 games. It is the possibility of working with 128x32 animations, to convert the machines with 128x16 screens in the backglass, to 128x32 screens on the front panel.

For the 128x16 DMDMK66 firmware, I will add a parameter in the configuration file that allows you to activate the remaining 16 lines of the panels, 8 above and 8 below, which are initially not used in 128x16 animations.

This needs several modifications in the Magic Editor, because now it only allows editing or adding frames for the original resolution of the game. With the option to import GIFs and animated GIFs that the editor already supports, new animations could be created externally as an animated GIF or GIF file, already colored and with 128x32 resolution. Once imported into the Editor, each of the new frames could be pasted over the original frames, and the import of GIF automatically creates the used color palette.

ScreenHunter_023.jpgScreenHunter_023.jpg
ScreenHunter_025.jpgScreenHunter_025.jpgScreenHunter_024.jpgScreenHunter_024.jpgScreenHunter_026.jpgScreenHunter_026.jpg

#1033 4 years ago

Looks great, but I really keep my fingers crossed for a working firmware for color files, before starting to add 128x16 to 128x32 conversion to the project.

#1034 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Looks great, but I really keep my fingers crossed for a working firmware for color files, before starting to add 128x16 to 128x32 conversion to the project.

Yes I understand. But after all the work and also money spent on the development of the Magic Editor, it would make no sense not to make the firmware to be able to use the colored files in the DMDMK66 or the future DMDMX7.

Now I'm finishing the Hologram Kit, it's what I'm mainly working on. I do not have much left to offer the product, so I will be somewhat freer to continue with the DMDMK66 of 128x16 and the firmware with support for advanced coloring.

I have considered from the beginning that it was much more important to offer a very good Editor, than to offer a poor and basic editor with few features and a firmware for the DMD. I prefer to spend much more time creating a good Editor, so that the coloring tasks are quick and easy. With a very basic editor (with poor features and full of bugs), as is the case with competitors' products (some do not even offer an Editor), it can take months to color a game, that will not happen with the Magic Editor. We started much later than other products, but we will do it with an infinitely better product, both in hardware, in firmware and in the Editor, I think it will be worth the wait.

In any case I understand your concern, because I know that there are more people who are waiting for the release of firmware, to start coloring games.

PS: The funny thing is how nervous GERMAN TROLLS get when my project is progressing and with much better performance. Then they appear to annoy, provoke and to lie (they lie a lot to try to discredit), even they create new fake accounts to continue exercising as TROLLS. If the TROLLs get nervous, it is an indicator that we are on the right way, it is the only utility of the TROLLs.

#1035 4 years ago

News about Magic Editor for Advanced Coloring with DMDMK66 and DMDMX7. New version available for download, the v1.3.0, with MANY new features that make coloring tasks much faster and easier.

Downloadable from the Github and Gitlab of the project:
=================================== 
https://github.com/pinballsp/DMDMK66/blob/master/Advanced%20Magic%20Color%20Editor/README.md
https://gitlab.com/pinballsp/DMDMK66/blob/master/Advanced%20Magic%20Color%20Editor/README.md

I have not updated User Manuals for a long time, and since then many options have been added. As soon as I finish with the two new options that I am going to add, I will update the manuals, in the 4 languages, with all the features of the Editor, which are already many and quite sophisticated.

I will also add two new options to the Editor, which I am already working on, are these:

1.- The number of colors per palette will be increased. Of the current 32 colors, to 64 colors (per palette). I have decided to make this extension, because when importing complex GIFs, such as those extracted from movie scenes, with 32 colors may be not enough, which would not allow some GIFs to be imported. The amount of colors is per palette and a game can have as many palettes as you want, usually one per animation, so we can practically have thousands of colors in a game.

2.- Games 128x16, expanded to 128x32. In the 128x16 games (as Hook and others), the option of working with a painting area of ​​128x32 will be added. This will allow these machines to use the 32 real lines available in the DMDMK66 128x16, to create higher resolution animations. Work will continue with the original dumps of the game, but with the option of painting in 32 lines and importing animated GIFs or GIFs that use the 32 screen lines.

In the DMDMK66 128x16 firmware, a user-configurable parameter to activate the 128x32 animations will be included in the configuration file. The DMDMK66 128x16, could be placed on a new front panel with access to the entire visible area of ​​128x32.

I summarize everything new that includes Magic Editor v1.3.0, now available for download from the Github and Gitlab of the project:

1.- Import of GIF files (GIF images and animated GIFs):
=======================================
1.1- Imported GIFs are loaded in a new column to the right of the Editor. Loaded GIFs can be pasted into any frame of the animations, as many times as desired. The user could create scrolling effects by pasting the same GIF into successive frames in different positions (as Sprites). In other cases, GIFs (animated) can be full animations extracted from a movie, which can replace a full animation of the game.

1.2.- The GIF can have a maximum resolution of 1000x1000.

1.3.- Any GIF can be pasted in a frame, with the possibility of the user moving it and pasting it in the frame in the place he decides. If the resolution of the GIF is higher, you can also move it over the frame to make the part of the image you want visible in the frame.

1.4.- When pasting a GIF on an animation frame, the necessary color palette is created automatically. If there is already a palette assigned to the animation, the new colors are added. Important to check that there are free colors for new ones to add.

2.- Add custom texts:
==============
2.1.- You can choose the size and color of the text, moving it to any part of the frame where it will be pasted. To be able to add texts in any frame, writing the text, not painting by hand to draw the letters. You will simply write a text and you can place it in any frame, also choosing the size of the font

3.- Copy / paste parts of a frame onto one or several frames:
======================================
3.1.- The copy can be made from any part of a frame, the mouse pointer is used to select a rectangular area to copy. The copied piece is saved in a new window in the right column of the Editor.

3.2.- At any time you can use one of the pieces copied and saved, to paste it in another frame of the project. The color palette is automatically updated with the necessary colors (if free colors available)

4.- AUTO-SPLIT, extraction and automatic creation of animations, from the dumps.
===================================================
4.1.- The process start window gives the possibility to configure how many frames will be used in the comparison and search pattern, between 5 and 15, by default 7 frames. You can also select if animations were extracted using masks, without masks or both.

4.2.- The program verifies that the animations to be generated do not have Keyframes already assigned to another animation of the project, to avoid duplicate animations.

4.3.- To extract animations with dynamic contents, the program uses the same masks already defined in the "Masks" tab of the Editor. In this way the program algorithm can identify and extract animations with dynamic contents.

4.4.- The dumps of hardware colored animations (CMF, Color Master File) are also processed. When extracting and creating the animation, the corresponding palette will also be created automatically.

4.5.- During the process of extracting the animations, the program stops when it finds a pattern corresponding to a possible animation, showing in 5 columns the search results, these columns are; Suggested animation with its frames, Dump 1, Dump 2, Frame numbers and checksum of dumps 1 and 2. Other related data are indicated in the main window frame

The user can accept and extract the animation suggested by the program with the "Extract Animation" option, ignore it and continue with the "Ignore" option, or Cancel the process with the "Cancel" button.

ScreenHunter_043.jpgScreenHunter_043.jpg
magic_tz.jpgmagic_tz.jpg
magic_tz_002.jpgmagic_tz_002.jpg

Added over 5 years ago:

It is likely that the number of colors per palette will increase to 255, instead of the 64 that I indicated. Up to 32 colors are currently supported per palette, more than enough to paint the animations, but it may not be enough to import animated GIFs extracted from movie scenes.

#1036 4 years ago

Where I can buy these?
What was the price for 128x32 with shipping?

What license I should buy if I want colorize a spike game?

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

Where I can buy these?
What was the price for 128x32 with shipping?
What license I should buy if I want colorize a spike game?

Hello Nappis.

To buy the DMDMK66 and any product that I manufacture, you can contact me by private forum messaging, email [email protected], Skype pinballsp, WhatsApp +34693344445, Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp

DMDMK66 128x32, price 197 € + shipping costs (26€ for most of European countries).
Optional extras; preconfigured micro SD card + € 12, Amber filter + € 23.

You do not have to pay any kind of licenses with my products, the use of the Magic Editor is completely free and without limitations so you can use it to color any game, and the games that I color will also be free to download and use.

Regards

#1038 4 years ago

Thanks for the fast reply. Your product looks very temptating and you have made a great job. Especially those last updates for fastening colorization are really nice.

I understand developement costs etc but what happened to the price of 167€ which you mentioned earlier?

Ok, you mentioned somewhere that spike would need a license but maybe it was pinball browser before magic editor had that multi color feature.

Have you allready colored some128x32 games? Can I see the list of ready games from somewhere?

#1039 4 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

Thanks for the fast reply. Your product looks very temptating and you have made a great job. Especially those last updates for fastening colorization are really nice.
I understand developement costs etc but what happened to the price of 167€ which you mentioned earlier?

It must make a long time of those prices that you refer. Everything increases in price over time, suppliers raise the price of components, etc. The prices that I have indicated are the current ones.

Quoted from Nappis:

Ok, you mentioned somewhere that spike would need a license but maybe it was pinball browser before magic editor had that multi color feature.

Currently there is no need to pay any kind of licenses, either to use the Editor, or for the firmware to work. You buy and pay for the product, and that's it, from there everything is free.

Quoted from Nappis:

Have you allready colored some128x32 games? Can I see the list of ready games from somewhere?

All I have published are tests that I have been doing as the Editor has been developed. I've been busy with that, in developing the hardware and firmware for the 128x16 DMDMK66 and lately in finishing the Hologram Kit for Creature.

As soon as I finish with that, I will release the first firmware version with Advanced Coloring support, and start coloring games. I know that some people are also coloring games, although waiting for the firmware to be available to continue with the coloring tasks.

#1040 4 years ago

Have you anywhere instructions how to preconfigure SD card and install the display?

#1041 4 years ago

Realistically will this project be fully finished and available in final form in the next 12 months do you think?

#1042 4 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

Have you anywhere instructions how to preconfigure SD card and install the display?

Inside the SD card, there is the configuration file dmdmk66.txt, with detailed instructions, it is very easy.

#1043 4 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Realistically will this project be fully finished and available in final form in the next 12 months do you think?

The idea is that the first Beta version of firmware with support for advanced coloring is available for next month. First for the 128x16 DMD, and then for the 128x32 and 192x64.

#1044 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Inside the SD card, there is the configuration file dmdmk66.txt, with detailed instructions, it is very easy.

But if I allready have a SD Card and no need to order that?
Any specifications which kind of micro SD card it should be?

And what about dmd hardware and electrical installation instruction? Where to get the voltage etc...

#1045 4 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

But if I allready have a SD Card and no need to order that?
Any specifications which kind of micro SD card it should be?

Formatted in FAT32. I suggest that they be micro SD cards from a manufacturer known as Kingston or similar.

Quoted from Nappis:

And what about dmd hardware and electrical installation instruction? Where to get the voltage etc...

DMDMK66 is 100% plug and play, it connects exactly like an original plasma DMD.

#1046 4 years ago

Do you add that needed txt-file to github?

Is there a big fifference with and without amber filter?
Does that have some kind of own frame?

Thanks for the answears allready! I'll make an order when you get that final release from magic editor.

Well that is still unclear how the display will connect to 12v supply?

#1047 4 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

There is no universal configuration file, because there are different kinds of LED panels with different chip controllers, so there is a specific parameter that I know when I assemble the product. In any case, the controller chip has been the same for quite some time, so I can provide you with the file for the SD card on your screen.

Quoted from Nappis:

Check picture attached, and this video.

gQ66VlF.jpggQ66VlF.jpg 

Quoted from Nappis:

No frame is necessary, the DMDMK66 is assembled on a large PCB board, just like the original DMD.
If you refer to the amber filter, it is fixed to the DMDMK66 board with two spacers and four screws.

Quoted from Nappis:

Exactly as the original plasma DMD is connected.

#1048 4 years ago
Quoted from Nappis:

Thanks for the answears allready! I'll make an order when you get that final release from magic editor.

See below for my step by step install guide:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way/page/15#post-4536985

#1049 4 years ago

Fixed a bug In the Frame over Frame option with Smart Mode enabled, now let you select Automatic Fill in the process parameters.

Downloads from Github and Gitlab, as always:
https://github.com/pinballsp/DMDMK66/blob/master/Advanced%20Magic%20Color%20Editor/README.md

https://gitlab.com/pinballsp/DMDMK66/blob/master/Advanced%20Magic%20Color%20Editor/README.md

ScreenHunter_072.jpgScreenHunter_072.jpgScreenHunter_076.jpgScreenHunter_076.jpg

#1050 4 years ago

Finally, I have decided that the number of colors per palette that the Magic Editor can use, to color games to use with DMDMK66/DMDMX7, will increase from the current 32 colors, to 256 colors per palette.

Earlier I said that they would increase to 64 colors. But since this modification is going to be done that requires important changes in the Magic Editor, it is much better to increase it to 256 colors. Thus the import of GIFs and animated GIFs (for example extracting and importing movie scenes), will work perfectly, practically without limitations.

If we compare with competitors' products, one of them does not offer any Editor for the user to color or customize their own games, and the other only works with 16 colors per palette (and quite poor features). The benefits using DMDMK66 and the Magic Editor, far exceeds what other products can offer.

We are already working on the new improvements, increasing colors to 256 per palette, and coloring extended to 128x32 in 128x16 games (Hook and similar ones).

ScreenHunter_080.jpgScreenHunter_080.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wappingers Falls, NY
There are 1,203 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way/page/21?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.